ADVERTISEMENT

Chance of another mandatory lockdown in SC at 100%???

I agree somewhat on herd immunity however you must keep the spread contained..... 60% of our population is 3 million in SC. It would take almost a year of 10,000 new infections a day to reach that. I don't think our healthcare system could keep up with that.

That is assuming that everyone who gets infected needs medical treatment. They don’t.

That is not correct. The use of masks is protective in health-care and community settings. Happy to link a half-dozen reputable studies by universities, healthy organization, etc. Masks help reduce the risk of an individual transmitting the virus. Wearing a mask is the ideal mechanism for maintaining commerce and attempting to reduce the spread.
Hopefully they start mass producing those masks you can eat and drink through.

Last edited:
Shelter-in-place only temporarily slowed the spread. We should have let nature takes it’s course so there wouldn’t be a second wave.

Real question is how much more ammo does the federal reserve have at this point.

Reactions: NotLarryWilliams
Bankrupt South Carolina and you're not going to have a state. We've got to hunker down and push through this. Name me a business that was ever designed for zero revenue.

The pandemic is serious, people should take it seriously, but there have already been enough businesses in this country torched and destroyed this spring. This state, this country, cannot absorb a prolonged economic stoppage. That's just fact.

It's a bitter pill to swallow, but we've got to do it.

Bingo.

I got word from a US Representative from SC that he is "100% sure another mandatory SC lockdown is coming soon"

What would this mean for sports in the Fall?

Why cant people just wear their masks? Cases are going way down in states hit hard and way up in states that were not. Seems some people are taking it serious while we are not
I don't see a lockdown coming, and there shouldnt be a "lock down" but it is frustrating to know we could keep this thing in check if people would just do the simple things that we can all do to slow it. And it would help if our leadership would champion those things. Yesterday we set another record at almost 1,000 new cases in SC and set another record for hospital beds utilized for COVID. That is without any increased testing. For the economy hawks, you don't think those numbers are bad for business? And when I say economy, I don’t mean the stock market or the top 30 or top 500 businesses. I’m talking about Main Street. I’m talking about the small businesses that are the primary job creators and economic drivers of this economy.

Look at this graph of where we could be with largely a science based approach to the recovery and without politics driving the response...
20200619-010229.jpg

Which of the graphs above is better for business? For reference, the European Union has about 40% more people than are in the U.S. Their businesses are starting to resume normalcy while our lackadaisical approach and ignorance is allowing this thing to linger and even start climbing back again. It hurts business to ignore this and not confront it.

I am not a proponent of shut down. There are too many things we can do to mitigate this if we will educate people and push those things at the highest levels. The people that think you have to turn a blind eye to COVID and just blindly assume the risk to get people to resume normalcy are the problem. Hiding the data and pushing for reckless resumption isn't the key to turning the corner. What they don't realize is that you can't resume an economy with only 50% of the people participating. Until this is controlled (not eliminated) and people feel safe, you won't have close to 100% participating in the economy. Pushing for 50% of the population to just stay home if they don't feel safe is saying you only want 50% of our old economy. We need to focus on measures that make as many people as possible willing to participate in thia economy as quickly as possible. Just trying to push a false narrative or trying to talk someone at risk into risking their life for the greater good and so you dont have to wear a mask or be inconvienienced isn't going to do it.

Bankrupt South Carolina and you're not going to have a state. We've got to hunker down and push through this. Name me a business that was ever designed for zero revenue.

The pandemic is serious, people should take it seriously, but there have already been enough businesses in this country torched and destroyed this spring. This state, this country, cannot absorb a prolonged economic stoppage. That's just fact.

I have 4 business 3 mini golf locations and a family fun center and I can tell you ZERO revenue sucks and if we shut again I just dont know how we can make it without some major concessions from our banks and more PPP funds for our team. We need to stay open but be as careful as we possibly can be.

I think McMaster is trying to push through this, but at some point we will have to go back to lock down when these hospitals are maxed out.

We aren’t going back to lock down. Will not happen at all.

fits the narrative. keep the people off the streets meanwhile Antifa takes over. At what point do people realize this isn't going away and you have to continue on with your life. Hell i know 3 people that got it last weekend when we were in Litchfield but they didn't even know they had anything wrong until decided to get tested.
I mean this is an utterly dumbfounding post

im not going to wear a mask. i want herd immunity as fast as possible. Nobody in my family either.

Matter of fact - dont personally know anyone that wears one.

We need to get back to “normal” as fast as possible.......and vaccine ain’t on the horizon

For the most part you are talking about liberals or hippies hanging out in coffee shops. It’s a big portion of who wears them. One of my best friends is a MD, and he has never worn one.

I agree somewhat on herd immunity however you must keep the spread contained..... 60% of our population is 3 million in SC. It would take almost a year of 10,000 new infections a day to reach that. I don't think our healthcare system could keep up with that.

I think you mean “exposure” and not “infections”.

Herd immunity is reached when people are exposed and not necessarily infected

QUOTE="JSpears5, post: 3958351, member: 6186"]I got word from a US Representative from SC that he is "100% sure another mandatory SC lockdown is coming soon"

Why cant people just wear their masks? Cases are going way down in states hit hard and way up in states that were not. Seems some people are taking it serious while we are not[/QUOTE]

Work three doors down in a state office with someone who speaks with Henry daily. Mandatory lock down not coming.

Mandatory mask wearing, etc? Definitely could see it.

Sending state workers back home to work on their computers because it saved the state so much money? Yep.

Shutting down businesses again? Nah. Most state entities are prepping for phase 2, which begins in less than three weeks. Those agency directors and HR departments would've been given a heads up in regards to planning if it was going to be reversed.

For the most part you are talking about liberals or hippies hanging out in coffee shops. It’s a big portion of who wears them. One of my best friends is a MD, and he has never worn one.

I will say that I do see older people wear them in public. And people who one would consider to have underlying health issues.

I got word from a US Representative from SC that he is "100% sure another mandatory SC lockdown is coming soon"

Why cant people just wear their masks? Cases are going way down in states hit hard and way up in states that were not. Seems some people are taking it serious while we are not

Just heard from a neighbor who is a nurse down at MUSC: they are seeing a “big surge” in the ICU.

Don’t shoot the messenger.

speaking of retarded. Here is you mask symbolism.

you seem rustled or do you always just go straight to name calling? If it is your MO sorry I missed it before.
https://www.c-span.org/video/?c4886471/user-clip-biden-virtue-signals-face-mask-hanging-ear-hour
Don’t get your feelings hurt. You tried to imply that I’m riding around with a face mask on and the windows rolled up because I Said something critical about Trump.

As soon as he said he refused to wear a mask, all of his sheep started doing the same thing. He told reporters he wouldn’t give them the satisfaction of seeing him in a mask when he was caught wearing one out of their view. So he is making it symbolic. Not me.

Wisdom

Not trying to be a dick here, but did we expect anything different with the protests and rallies lately? In no way am I trying to discuss whether the reasons of the rallies were right. However what I am saying is it’s not fvcking rocket science. Hundreds of people marching together = exponentially more cases.

Calm down people. This thing isn’t going away and will never go away. The government isn’t going to answer the problem here. Quit asking them to.

This is the correct approach. And Trump will lead this charge and then lose the election because there is a large portion of the population that doesnt understand.
Yeah, there is a large portion of the population that doesn’t understand. They were the ones who voted for Trump in 2016. Some of them understand what a tragic mistake that was. They are the ones who will be voting for Trump’s opponent.

im not going to wear a mask. i want herd immunity as fast as possible. Nobody in my family either.

Matter of fact - dont personally know anyone that wears one.

We need to get back to “normal” as fast as possible.......and vaccine ain’t on the horizon

Have you seen the curves for Europe or even other states?

It’s not some sort of voodoo magic - everyone wears a mask and life basically resumes as normal until a vaccine

OR - and here me out here- y’all could all just wear masks (and shame those you know who do not) and prevent a total economic meltdown

This is the correct answer. Everyone should wear a mask in public spaces, particularly indoors and around crowds. Don’t wait for it to be required, be a considerate person and do the right thing. This includes everyone including President Trump. And just STFU about the economy if you can’t make this simple sacrifice.

In just about every government, protecting public health and safety is priority #1. Just a little effort by all could preclude the necessity of further interruption of the economy.

Unfortunately the arrogance and unwillingness by the majority of SC residents to take minimal measures is not compatible with not having overreaching nanny state rules if we are to manage this public health event.

As a state, we will get what we deserve; unfortunately we are showing we don’t deserve to be treated as responsible adults.

You serious Clark?

People pushing this narrative can’t really believe what they’re saying
Who funds the CDC? Donations from pharmaceutical and vaccine companies. They fire people for not pushing through drugs/vaccines and not a single vaccine is proven through scientifically relevant research.

I’ll be damned if someone is injecting me with a rushed vaccine that isn’t properly being vetted and failing all human trials so far

Reactions: TigerGrowls
Have you seen the curves for Europe or even other states?

It’s not some sort of voodoo magic - everyone wears a mask and life basically resumes as normal until a vaccine

vaccine isn’t coming anytime soon. Never has been one developed for a virus of this type.

walking around wearing a mask is not “normal”.

I want herd immunity as fast as possible. Therefore people need to get exposed as fast as possible.

will keep saying it.....if you are going to have an infection or get sick from exposure....you will get it now, or 3 months, or 6 months.

The number “under” the curves won’t change much over the lifetime of this pandemic. The question is fast or slow.

It’s okay to want to get back to a normal life quicker, with sports and all other social activities. That is my choice.

Likewise others can have the opinion to want to go slow, make us start/stop, keep the pace of recovery at a slower pace.

Actually there is a middle ground, which is what most government actions are focused on right now......I just want a quicker process to “normal”. And wearing masks does have benefits (I am not doubting that), but getting to normal is a slower process with masks

Masks do help from spreading. Not 100% effective but if it is 80% effective, is it not worth it?

All that masks have to do is push the R number or transmissibility factor down below 1.00 and the virus will die out. If both parties are wearing a mask that is 20% effective, the R value is reduced to about 64% of It’s original value. I am using your estimated effectiveness- the study results I have seen stated are slightly greater resulting in over a 50% reduction in the R. It is not absolute, but nothing will be 100% effective.

The lower the R, the quicker this ends. It just takes responsible adult behavior. That said, as a people we will ensure this virus stays with us far longer than it should and kills far more than it should.

Last edited:

walking around wearing a mask is not “normal”.

will keep saying it.....if you are going to have an infection or get sick from exposure....you will get it now, or 3 months, or 6 months.

The number “under” the curves won’t change much over the lifetime of this pandemic. The question is fast or slow.

It’s okay to want to get back to a normal life quicker, with sports and all other social activities. That is my choice.

Likewise others can have the opinion to want to go slow, make us start/stop, keep the pace of recovery at a slower pace.

Actually there is a middle ground, which is what most government actions are focused on right now......I just want a quicker process to “normal”. And wearing masks does have benefits (I am not doubting that), but getting to normal is a slower process with masks

Honestly, your post is just chock full of misinformation. The number under the curve absolutely will change depending on mitigation efforts.

You act like a vaccine is years away; it’s not! We have multiple vaccines in p3 trials and, due to Operation Warp Speed, 5 high quality vaccine candidates are getting unprecedented acceleration.

Take another look at the European COVID graph and honestly tell me you think the area under the curve in 9 months is going to be the same. What we can do is revisit this then and check some per capita death counts- remember that if you are wrong, you advocated for a position that costed the differential in lives.

Wearing a mask is such a low cost solution to an very awful problem. A new study indicates that we’d essentially stamp out the disease if 80% of people wore masks - ‪https://www.forbes.com/sites/chrisw...shows-80-percent-decrease-in-covid-19-cases‬.- In VA, wearing masks in indoor public areas is mandatory (also compliance seems to be high!) and, despite significantly denser population than SC, we are on track for less deaths.

I’d encourage many on the other side to seriously reconsider your opposition to this- for the sake of people’s health AND the economy.

Masks don't eliminate the virus...period. They may slow/prolong the spread. The hospitals should be ready by now if there is some huge surge. I highly doubt there will be. If not, then why aren't they ready. They have had plenty of time.

A vaccine in the near future is a pipe dream. Even when one is available will it be effective. The idea that you are ever going to get 100% compliance with a mask out in general public and eliminate the risk is also a pipe dream, but if it makes people feel better to blame people for not wearing a mask have at it. If people know they have been exposed, then do the right thing. But mandating a bunch of masks is ridiculous.

Honestly, your post is just chock full of misinformation. The number under the curve absolutely will change depending on mitigation efforts.

You act like a vaccine is years away; it’s not! We have multiple vaccines in p3 trials and, due to Operation Warp Speed, 5 high quality vaccine candidates are getting unprecedented acceleration.

Take another look at the European COVID graph and honestly tell me you think the area under the curve in 9 months is going to be the same. What we can do is revisit this then and check some per capita death counts- remember that if you are wrong, you advocated for a position that costed the differential in lives.

Wearing a mask is such a low cost solution to an very awful problem. A new study indicates that we’d essentially stamp out the disease if 80% of people wore masks - ‪https://www.forbes.com/sites/chrisw...shows-80-percent-decrease-in-covid-19-cases‬.- In VA, wearing masks in indoor public areas is mandatory (also compliance seems to be high!) and, despite significantly denser population than SC, we are on track for less deaths.

I’d encourage many on the other side to seriously reconsider your opposition to this- for the sake of people’s health AND the economy.

lets make a wager on how long until an approved US vaccine will be available on the market. It wont be soon.

in addition, if we vaccinate a million people a week (and most health are experts think even that number is robust), then you are looking at YEARS to get it to everyone. And that is just US, not even rest of world.

with all that info, our best option is herd immunity. I just choose a quicker path. Others feel differently......again, it’s ok to have different opinions.

oqcQbDW.gif

with all that info, our best option is herd immunity. I just choose a quicker path. Others feel differently......again, it’s ok to have different opinions.

I mean, its OK to have different opinions about what football team you like or whether mayonnaise is good, but these are matters with enormous ramifications both in terms of lives and the economy. The right answer matters.

Reactions: Pvilletigerfan

I'm calling BS.

A US Congressman from SC has zero to do with state governance.

Nice try.

Reactions: Conando
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT