ADVERTISEMENT

Charleston Police writing tickets for not wearing masks even on the street

2h87ji.jpg

Good. My dad is back in SC going through some kind of neurological event and we can’t get him proper treatment because all of the hospitals in his area are overflowing with Covid patients. His doctor is trying to avoid sending him to any local ER because he’s worried that he will be stuck in the ER for 72 hours and catch Covid from the nearly 50 overflow patients who are stuck their on ventilators.

In the meantime my family has to try to keep my dad from falling and smashing his skull while he keeps trying to call his old assistant at the company he retired from years ago to pick him up so he can get to the office (we’ve had to take his keys). He called me yesterday telling me that he missed his flight and was stuck in a hotel room in Minneapolis. He was calling from his home phone in SC.

I don’t know why people can’t grasp how serious this thing is and the way it has crippled doctors’ ability to treat serious, non-covid related illnesses.

What hospital are you referring to?

Reactions: Clemson Goat
The spot on take was the government failing the simple message of it. Both sides used a medical pandemic to score political points for personal gain. The hypocrisy chronologically of these elected idiots is laugh out loud funny if it wasn't so sad, and chronically unobserved by our windshield mentality press - who will go down in history for the level of useful idiot they've unlocked in the last few years. Anyone with the mental faculties that allow thought knows how bad of a situation we're in long term. But since there's nothing we can do about idiots voting for sociopathic idiots, have to just appreciate the gongshow it is and enjoy the good things you have in life.

Look, It's a virus that is real and contagious and can be deadly - while also completely innocuous to most of the population. Any reasonable person can acknowledge that and be willing to be considerate of/comply with measures for those who would be at risk regardless of their own. I have no problem in confined spaces looking to minimize any potential for me to be a reason somebody who is at risk gets it...I wouldn't even mind to know I was only wearing it to make people who've been terrified by the media messaging more comfortable. the healthcare burden is real and something to be mindful enough of to act in a way that respects that.

BUT....BUT...anyone that thinks wearing a fkn mask in the wide open air does a single thing to prevent the spread of covid...well its your lucky day - i have a few bridges for sale. great prices and covid free bridges. its more than personal liberty....its mind-numbingly stupid to believe walking past someone on an outdoor street 2-3 ft apart is a spread risk. if it were that incomprehensibly contagious, wearing a diaper on your face is tantamount to rearranging a deck chair on the titanic as a preventative measure. its a concept so far removed from rational thought it can't be dignified with acceptance. it just can't.

I don't think the pandemic has been handled particularly poorly in the US, although some states (ahem... NY) have done a really bad job. If you look at a number of other similar countries, they have similar or worse outcomes. Of course, we want to have the best outcomes, so in that sense we've failed. But we've also decreased the death rate, discovered some effective treatments, figured out how the disease spreads for the most part, and created vaccines. Trump's rhetoric about the virus certainly hasn't helped, but his administration is more competent and responsible than he is.

Our biggest problem is that what's needed to prevent the spread of the virus really isn't sustainable, whether socially, economically, politically, or spiritually. I think just about everybody knows that, but some people's natural rebellion against public health inconveniences and burdens is being sublimated into denial about the severity of the virus, and then into proud, individualist non-compliance. Maybe the biggest improvement to the pandemic response would be better communication with the public so that people have a sense that all of this isn't just interminable, that there are clear goals, and that the decisions being made aren't arbitrary.

You don’t think the pandemic has been handled particularly poorly in the US? WOW. It’s been handled beyond poorly.

I believe whining about civil liberties and being inconvenienced while we live through an ordeal where people can't get care for their loved ones because hospitals are overflowing with the walking dead in part because so many morons have ignored the seriousness of this situation is disgraceful. You want to talk about people who are hurting financially because of restrictions and are struggling to stay afloat because our government has shamefully neglected them in a national time of need, then I have full empathy and sympathy.

The constant whining about something as superficial as wearing a mask is beyond pathetic and emblematic of a selfishness that defines certain segments of our society. These same segments frequently mention the greatness of the men and women who sacrificed greatly in previous generations to protect our freedom, but don't you dare ask these modern day patriots to suffer the indignity of wearing a mask because that's just too great a sacrifice to make. I'd be all for the Darwinistic aspect of this plague if it didn't prevent people like my father who have behaved responsibly during it from receiving proper treatment.

I’ve come to the conclusion that the people who are staunchly against masks are simply unintelligent. I hope your father gets better!

See less and less of it in Anderson area of upstate.

Do you have to present an ID if the police write you a citation? Can you not walk outside legally without a License?

Seems really hard to enforce a law of such

Not very familiar with police. You going to argue with them about the id? That’s doesn’t end well typically.

Reactions: CU91ENGR
Serious question...If mask work so well why are the numbers “rising” as mask wearing has greatly risen. Much more people are wearing mask and yet the numbers are climbing. If more people are wearing masks why aren’t numbers declining...serious question because masks are much more common and being utilized more but numbers seem to be climbing...are masks really the answer?

People I know who have had it wear masks regularly as most are in healthcare so if so effective why do people who wear them religiously getting Covid?

I’m still shocked I haven’t gotten it because it only wear masks where required. It’s really mind blowing to me.

There has been no legislation process s for any of these laws put into place...so it’s kind gonna be interesting to see how it all plays out. You can’t just make up laws...
Legislation for municipalities is enacted by city councils. Zoning laws is an example. Now, getting a judge to enforce city council laws is another matter. I think arguing that walking is an exercise will get you out of the fine. But is the court cost more than the fine?

Reactions: Jwilliamsiii
Serious question...If mask work so well why are the numbers “rising” as mask wearing has greatly risen. Much more people are wearing mask and yet the numbers are climbing. If more people are wearing masks why aren’t numbers declining...serious question because masks are much more common and being utilized more but numbers seem to be climbing...are masks really the answer?

People I know who have had it wear masks regularly as most are in healthcare so if so effective why do people who wear them religiously getting Covid?

I’m still shocked I haven’t gotten it because it only wear masks where required. It’s really mind blowing to me.
Nobody can answer your question. They just ignore it and wear their mask outside.

Because the 50% of the population that believe that virus isn’t a big deal is still leaving the door cracked open. That’s all the virus needs is a crack. Just wearing a mask in public spaces alone isn’t going to slow the spread by itself. People that I know that have got it recently are wearing masks in public where required but are going to their buddy’s house or their neighbors maskless or some similar situation. Also the same question could be posed to you. If masks were not worn how do you know that the rate of infection wouldn’t be exponentially worse?

Great question.

Nobody can answer your question. They just ignore it and wear their mask outside.

It would be great to have objective dialogue.

For many I know this is why they don’t like the mask stuff (tho they do wear them inside, where required). Because they haven’t seen any objective peer-reviewed data that proves they work to slow the spread thats independent of social distancing and/or hand washing, etc.

Then, when you bring it up, you’re just automatically told that you’re basically a murderer. That doesn’t add confidence.

Couple that with the fact that Fauci, and many, yelled at us for a period of about a month that “MASKS DO NOT WORK” and “DO NOT WEAR THEM”. Then, it all changed. Yes, I realize it was a supply issue but what I’m saying is that wasn’t what was communicated.

I’m more than happy to submit to it, and I do submit (inside), but that doesn’t mean I understand nor agree with it.

It’s hard for me to imagine that putting a piece of paper towel on my face, with two looptiloops, truly stops virus particles from going up, down, left or right, or strait through.

Maybe the idea is that it deters people from talking to each other and, thus, creates social distancing..

Because the 50% of the population that believe that virus isn’t a big deal is still leaving the door cracked open. That’s all the virus needs is a crack. Just wearing a mask in public spaces alone isn’t going to slow the spread by itself. People that I know that have got it recently are wearing masks in public where required but are going to their buddy’s house or their neighbors maskless or some similar situation. Also the same question could be posed to you. If masks were not worn how do you know that the rate of infection wouldn’t be exponentially worse?

So you’re saying that if you don’t wear a mask you’re more likely to not be safe in other ways? In other words, the mask itself doesn’t necessarily help but it’s a signal that you care about the other protocols?

There has been no legislation process s for any of these laws put into place...so it’s kind gonna be interesting to see how it all plays out. You can’t just make up laws...
Since the founding of the country, “laws” have been comprised of Statutes, Regulations, Ordinances and Common Laws. The Charleston mask ordinance went through the same due process as every other ordinance.

If ordinances bother people, you would really be pissed about common laws. Basically an individual judge (literally 1 person) can make a law when deciding on a case as long as it does not violate federal or state laws.

It would be a municipal ordinance which would have been agreed upon by the city council, I believe.

Reactions: GoodWord28
What hospital are you referring to?
I was told that all beds at the hospital in Orangeburg are full, they are no longer accepting non emergency cases and have been directing ambulances to Columbia because there is no emergency room availability. I’ve also been told that the hospital in Rock Hill has had patients in the emergency room for excess of 4 days waiting for an available room. I know that at least one of those patients has Covid.

Use your JD and sue them or stfu

Tboone.... COVID protocols matter to a lot of people and take them seriously. So sorry to hear about your dad.

There’s another segment of population that COVID doesn’t matter as it affects their personal liberties and their personal risk is low. The equation of overwhelming hospitals does not resonate with them for whatever reason.

COVID messaging in this country failed. It was always 1 simple message: Maintain distance and cover your face so we do not overwhelm the healthcare systems in order to handle normal business effectively.

That’s it. It’s not political, it’s not about the death rate. It’s about treatment spiking. Government failed this simple message.

The political divide is so bad, this is one situation where a united front is absolutely necessary. One party wanted to use the virus to their advantage for political gain and recapture the White House and the other was a little slow to react. IMO the first party was the worse because slow to react could have. We are the greatest country in the world and handled this the worse of any country. That is flipped pathetic.

However, It is not all our government . Our spoiled ass "me" society today is a huge issue. So much of our society takes something as simple as wearing a damn mask as an infringement of their liberties. So many refuse to realize that it is not just about them ( "I will not get sick from the virus because I am low risk.") and fail to or refuse to realize if infected they may give to someone that goes home and infects their grandma,etc who dies from it. Covid is a horrible way to die , it is a slow painful death full of suffering. Many that recover from the lung disease take months to recover or are left with long term problems.

Because it’s flu season...people are indoors more and close together. Not to mention we just went through the holidays. Also, the pandemic has been raging for a while now and people are getting lax with precautions because they are over it.

Come on man, you’re a smart guy.....it’s not that hard to figure out.

I don't believe anyone has gotten covid by walking by someone on the sidewalk. The odds of getting it outside are extremely low unless you stand talking with someone and you are in close proximity for a decent period of time. If people want to wear masks outside while walking around by themselves - great. But it isn't moving the needle on whether or not they get covid.

If people are inside, than yes, people should wear a mask as it helps prevent spread.

Also, according to studies done, transmission is extremely rare by touching something, i.e. a door handle, that someone else had touched who had covid. So spending the time, effort, business intreruption and money in spraying and disinfecting more than what was considered normal prior to Covid doesn't make a ton of sense. It makes people feel better i guess and but not helpful.

I just think people need to be smart about it...if you are inside, you should wear a mask, if you are outside and find yourself in a crowded situation where you spend time standing in close proximity to someone for a longer period of time - like an outside cocktail party type thing, wearing a mask would benefit. But wearing a mask outside just walking down the street by yourself does not move the needle at all and is not helping (nor hurting) the situation.

However, It is not all our government . Our spoiled ass "me" society today is a huge issue. So much of our society takes something as simple as wearing a damn mask as an infringement of their liberties. So many refuse to realize that it is not just about them ( "I will not get sick from the virus because I am low risk.") and fail to or refuse to realize if infected they may give to someone that goes home and infects their grandma,etc who dies from it. Covid is a horrible way to die , it is a slow painful death full of suffering. Many that recover from the lung disease take months to recover or are left with long term problems.

This is the crux of the matter, but not in the way you are thinking. Its not selfish, its the current US tradition of a blanket refusal to accept any responsibility for their own actions. Its the "I'm low risk so I'm not wearing a mask" but its also the "I got sick because someone else wasn't wearing a mask." You (general you, not you) got sick because you were outside your home trying to live your life normal. Its just as much your fault as it is anyone else. You don't want to get sick, don't leave your house. The second you walk out the door with the intent of going to a public place, the risk is on you.

Thats been the problem with this whole response that fails the common sense test and why we have a behavioral rebellion on the protocols. Chances are you aren't getting exposed from being outside on the street. Chances are, you're not going to get exposed from a casual brief encounter at the grocery store. Chances are you are likely to be exposed if you are in a bar, wearing a mask or not. But instead of using a risk profile, we've implemented public health measures equally and across the board. It was stupid. It was stupid and dangerous to for folks (especially the media) to push for "when can everyone that wants a test get a test." Its stupid and dangerous for Fauci to keep talking and moving the goalposts because it just causes more folks to say "F it." All our protocols have done is take resources away from the most critical and medically fragile. You put all your resources into those and let the rest go about their normal lives. Testing asympotmatic people is like burning good dollars that could be going to treat the medically fragile in their own homes before they need to get to the hospital.

Use your JD and sue them or stfu

I don’t sue people...not my style. If they require a mask I’ll just wear one. Don’t like it but it doesn’t bother me to the point of giving that much of a shit. The new testing laws for traveling outside of the US is the one I have a real issue with. It’s bull shit

At this point, if you aren’t wearing a mask in public, it’s your own fault for ending up on YouTube or paying a ticket.
You mention “ending up on you tube” (or social media)... what are the courts / legislation gonna do in the future with people in public being filmed against their will? I believe that someone continuing to record you w/o consent is a violation of rights (especially with kids).

Maybe just maybe if we truly want to stop the virus, hospitalizations, and deaths with Covid our city and state officials would turn our attention fully towards the distribution of the vaccine.

The Federal Government has shipped over 300,000 doses to SC with more arriving weekly but we have administered barely half of those doses and mostly to our healthcare workers so far. The most egregious bottleneck is occurring in nursing homes and LTC facilities where we’ve barely administered 10% of the doses we’ve been given.

Masks outdoors are symbolic gestures at best. Chiding college students or the public at large about mask mandates in downtown Clemson or Charleston does little to stop the spread or stop deaths among the elderly especially when considering 1/3 to 1/2 of all Clemson students have had the virus already.

Over 2/3 of all deaths have occurred in people 70+ in SC with a majority of those in nursing homes yet nursing home residents make up less than 1% of the state’s population.

If you truly want to see the death and illness stopped you will exert your social and political capital towards improving the distribution of the vaccine in your community to those that need it most rather than mask shaming.

People are wearing their masks in public places, restaurants, groceries, stores indoors. When I enter a public place compliance is 95-99%. People are largely doing their part wearing masks in public but it has had little or no impact on spread. Spread occurs at home or in tightly confined places indoors where people are in close quarters with other infected people 15 mins or longer. No one is catching it on King St outdoors.

It’s time to turn our collective attention towards saving the truly vulnerable and getting this vaccine distributed to those who most need it in our communities. Make sure your friends and loved ones 70+ then 65+ are getting vaccinated. Bring attention and awareness to ways the distribution can be improved.

Those police writing tickets would’ve been better off at a community clinic ensuring orderly distribution of the vaccine to the elderly. That’s what is going to save lives.

@Superica28
@acwill07
@nmerritt11

Because it’s flu season...people are indoors more and close together. Not to mention we just went through the holidays. Also, the pandemic has been raging for a while now and people are getting lax with precautions because they are over it.

eh...probably not. If this surge was caused by the same behavioral factors that increase flu, the flu would also be increasing. But Memorial Hospital in Savannah (the safety-net facility for pretty much all southeast Georgia and SC) has seen 0, ZERO, Nada, Zip cases of flu this year. I would expect flu cases to decrease in comparison to previous years because of the COVID protocols, but going to 0 in a hospital like Memorial is virtually impossible. They have flu and flu-like diseases even when it isn't flu season.

well Greenville area is the highest around and I see more people with masks than without...so...and no I’m not a smart guy but I do have common sense and my common sense shows more people masked up and it isn’t slowing the “confirmed” cases. It’s also amazing that my daughter had it and no one else in the house got it. She was so upset because she thought she ruined Christmas that I even laid with her for 2 hours and snuggled with her willing to get it because she was upset and that’s my princess. Welp....so contagious no one else got it

You mention “ending up on you tube” (or social media)... what are the courts / legislation gonna do in the future with people in public being filmed against their will? I believe that someone continuing to record you w/o consent is a violation of rights (especially with kids).
It’s perfectly legal to record anyone In public even if it’s against their will.

In most jurisdictions, they can literally film whatever they want unless you’re in the restroom....wherever you don’t have a reasonable expectation of privacy. Numerous stories of creeps going around stores and filming up skirt and there isn’t a thing the cops can do about it.

The Federal Government has shipped over 300,000 doses to SC with more arriving weekly but we have administered barely half of those doses and mostly to our healthcare workers so far. The most egregious bottleneck is occurring in nursing homes and LTC facilities where we’ve barely administered 10% of the doses we’ve been given.

I don't know about SC, but in Georgia part of the the problem was the Pfizer's recommendation change late in the game about storage. We've always known that Pfizer was ultra-cold, but their original handling instructions said that they could be stored with dry ice for up to 30 days. They changed that in middle December and took that away completely. That meant that a lot of the Pfizer distribution sites couldn't actually handle the Pfizer vaccine, especially rural. So way too much Pfizer was sent to GA originally that could be administered because there are only so many sites that can take ultra cold. There were a number of mid-sized hospitals that have requisitioned the ultra cold freezers that can't get them.

Since it looks like a backlog, its been tough to get more shipments of Moderna which has had a wider distribution possibilities. That is starting to loosen up now.

I imagine that other rural states like SC have had the same issues.

There has also been a documentation issue. Ga is required to use "GRITS" (our immunization tracking tool) to order. The normal requirement is that immunizations have to be inputted in 30 days. The state made COVID immunizations a 24 hour turn around. 1) That message wasn't broadcast very well and 2) most of the folks with access to GRITS are actively putting shots in arms and not having time to be data dorks.

I don't know about SC, but in Georgia part of the the problem was the Pfizer's recommendation change late in the game about storage. We've always known that Pfizer was ultra-cold, but their original handling instructions said that they could be stored with dry ice for up to 30 days. They changed that in middle December and took that away completely. That meant that a lot of the Pfizer distribution sites couldn't actually handle the Pfizer vaccine, especially rural. So way too much Pfizer was sent to GA originally that could be administered because there are only so many sites that can take ultra cold. There were a number of mid-sized hospitals that have requisitioned the ultra cold freezers that can't get them.

Since it looks like a backlog, its been tough to get more shipments of Moderna which has had a wider distribution possibilities. That is starting to loosen up now.

I imagine that other rural states like SC have had the same issues.

There has also been a documentation issue. Ga is required to use "GRITS" (our immunization tracking tool) to order. The normal requirement is that immunizations have to be inputted in 30 days. The state made COVID immunizations a 24 hour turn around. 1) That message wasn't broadcast very well and 2) most of the folks with access to GRITS are actively putting shots in arms and not having time to be data dorks.

So all of our collective intellectual, social, and political capital needs to go towards fixing the issues youve Identified vswriting tickets or screaming at the public about wearing masks.

The people that invented Amazon’s logistical capabilities or the Double Helix Chick Fil A drive through need to be in charge of vaccine distribution.

We have the innovation and know how to distribute this thing more effectively. This is what is going to save lives.

Reactions: fcctiger12
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT