ADVERTISEMENT

City of Clemson Votes To Extend Mask Mandate

giphy.gif

What was the outdoor mandate? Indoor makes some sense.
Clemson’s mandate included outdoor masks in downtown and was enforced on students down there last fall. They updated it last month to allow people to drink standing up. They voted last week to follow CDC guidelines no longer requiring them outside. But they are continuing the mandate indoors despite the huge decline in cases snd hospitalizations and all folks wanting a vaccine having one now.

I listened to some of the actual council meeting last month and there was so much bad information shared by council members and even their guest doctor, Dr Quattlebaum.

I thought surely after students left they would lift it but evidently not.

The council keeps moving the goal posts. There is no consensus on when it will be safe.

There’s a lack of leadership. The University has its own set of rules on campus. They were my going to make big changes this spring but everyone assumes it business as usual this fall.

Clemson’s mandate included outdoor masks in downtown and was enforced on students down there last fall. They updated it last month to allow people to drink standing up. They voted last week to follow CDC guidelines no longer requiring them outside. But they are continuing the mandate indoors despite the huge decline in cases snd hospitalizations and all folks wanting a vaccine having one now.

I listened to some of the actual council meeting last month and there was so much bad information shared by council members and even their guest doctor, Dr Quattlebaum.

The council keeps moving the goal posts. There is no consensus on when it will be safe.

There’s a lack of leadership.
Dr. Quattlebaum is one of the smartest people I have ever met. I'd be willing to bet that all the information he provided was accurate, but may just need further explanation.

There is a TREMENDOUS amount of pressure from certain portion of local residents to keep masks mandates active. You can't fault leadership for representing that population as well.

I feel like the 2 weeks was just to get us past the festivities surrounding moving out and graduation. I drove through downtown earlier today and it was busier than I had seen it in some time. I'd be willing to bet after the two weeks they will lift the mandate. That's just my interpretation of the meeting.

Last edited:
So ridiculous in a city like Clemson where the majority of the people that live there are students who are NOT at risk and the vaccine is available to everyone.

Lexington dropped their mask mandate like 2 months ago.
West Columbia let theirs expire May 1.
Bluffton let theirs expire April 14th.
Beaufort county let theirs expire April 15th.
City of Beaufort, who has been one of the more strict places in the state, let theirs expire last Friday April 30th.
Port Royal let theirs expire April 30th.
Hilton Head is letting theirs expire on May 16th.

So heavily populated areas full of tourists are letting theirs go but oh heck no....Can't let a city full of low risk college kids go without a mask.

Last edited:
Dr. Quattlebaum is one of the smartest people I have ever met. There is a TREMENDOUS amount of pressure from the local residents to keep masks mandates indefinitely. You can't fault leadership for representing that population as well.

I feel like the 2 weeks was just to get us past the festivities surrounding moving out and graduation. I drove through downtown earlier today and it was busier than I had seen it in some time. I'd be willing to bet after the two weeks they will lift the mandate.
I don’t know. If Quattlebaum thinks a piece of cloth will stop the “deadliest pandemic in a century “, he doesn’t sound very smart to me

I don’t know. If Quattlebaum thinks a piece of cloth will stop the “deadliest pandemic in a century “, he doesn’t sound very smart to me
This is a really dumb misconstrual of why people think you should wear masks. I’m guessing he knows a lot more about medicine and infectious diseases than you do. Whether that means we should continue having mask mandates or not, I don’t know.

So ridiculous in a city like Clemson where the majority of the people that live there are students who are NOT at risk and the vaccine is available to everyone.

Lexington dropped their mask mandate like 2 months ago.
West Columbia let theirs expire May 1.
Bluffton let theirs expire April 14th.
Beaufort county let theirs expire April 15th.
City of Beaufort, who has been one of the more strict places in the state, let theirs expire last Friday April 30th.
Port Royal let theirs expire April 30th.
Hilton Head is letting theirs expire on May 16th.

So heavily populated areas full of tourists are letting theirs go but oh heck no....Can't let a city full of low risk college kids go without a mask.

Just FYI - Median age for Clemson is 24.4 years. So there are just as many above college aged as younger than. That half below 24.4 also includes all residents below the age of 18. So just be cautious of the assumptions you make.

Also important to note that the overall population of Clemson have been MUCH more cooperative when it comes to these restrictions than the rest of South Carolina, making it a whole lot easier to leadership to continue to do what the medical professionals recommend as best.

And before you pass judgement.....I'm in no way in agreement with these current mandates. I just empathize with those who had to make that decision publicly for their neighbors to see.

Just FYI - Median age for Clemson is 24.4 years. So there are just as many above college aged as younger than. That half below 24.4 also includes all residents below the age of 18. So just be cautious of the assumptions you make.

Also important to note that the overall population of Clemson have been MUCH more cooperative when it comes to these restrictions than the rest of South Carolina, making it a whole lot easier to leadership to continue to do what the medical professionals recommend as best.

And before you pass judgement.....I'm in no way in agreement with these current mandates. I just empathize with those who had to make that decision publicly for their neighbors to see.
Staunchly disagree. I'm not passing judgement. It's true and it's idiotic. Especially when all the older residents have had ample time to get the vaccine and college kids aren't at risk.

The median age for SC is about 40 years old. Clemson is extremely young comparatively. Nearly half actually if your numbers are correct.

Areas in SC with substantially higher median ages, much larger populations, and a lot of out of state travel have already let theirs expire. Many did weeks or months ago.

Even the City of Columbia is set to have theirs expire in a week from now.....

Clemson needs to drop this crap and allow businesses to make their own decisions at this point. There is nothing special about Clemson to keep this dumb rule going while other cities are done with it. It's the opposite. It's an incredibly low risk area.

This is a really dumb misconstrual of why people think you should wear masks. I’m guessing he knows a lot more about medicine and infectious diseases than you do. Whether that means we should continue having mask mandates or not, I don’t know.
So I’m dumb for thinking the mask mandate is dumb. But you say you’re not sure if the mandate should be in place. Ok buddy!

So I’m dumb for thinking the mask mandate is dumb. But you say you’re not sure if the mandate should be in place. Ok buddy!
You actually said that the doctor was dumb for thinking “a piece of cloth” would stop the pandemic. It’s hard to figure how, exactly, that even relates to mask mandates, which were put in place to allow people to be safer indoors during the pandemic. They’re mitigation measures, not measures intended to completely stop the pandemic. Your post also makes it seem like you think masks are just “a piece of cloth” that doesn’t have any effect on the transmission of the virus.

But if we’re being real, you weren’t actually being serious. You were just simplifying the issue to try to make what you don’t like sound as dumb as possible.

You actually said that the doctor was dumb for thinking “a piece of cloth” would stop the pandemic. It’s hard to figure how, exactly, that even relates to mask mandates, which were put in place to allow people to be safer indoors during the pandemic. They’re mitigation measures, not measures intended to completely stop the pandemic. Your post also makes it seem like you think masks are just “a piece of cloth” that doesn’t have any effect on the transmission of the virus.

But if we’re being real, you weren’t actually being serious. You were just simplifying the issue to try to make what you don’t like sound as dumb as possible.
Ummm, I’ve seen a lot of people wearing masks made of “cloth”. Or even those fishing buffs that actually have holes in them. Do you think everyone is wearing M-95 masks

I don’t doubt Dr Quattkebaum is smart but he spent a majority of his time last month talking about variants and said Moderna was not yet proven to stop the variants.

According to SCDHEC we’ve had 52 total variant cases in the entire upstate.

Also there are multiple studies now using the actual population in the US showing all three vaccines have been effective against the variants.

Cases are continuing to drop despite the variants existence.

There is little discussion acknowledging herd immunity through a combination of natural immunity post infection + vaccines.

MUSC study published shows upstate counties have as much as 74% of the population immune.

Early on the fear was Covid over running our hospitals. This was a reason Clemson delayed the start of their fall semester.

Little Discussion about the fact that AnMed hospitalizations have dropped from a high of 150 cases in January to just 16 in April/May.

If case counts are low, hospitalizations are low, vaccinated populations and immune populations are up then virus risk is very very low.

Continuing these masks mandates is no longer about following the science , flattening the curve or protecting the vulnerable.

We’ve done all of the above and have the science and numbers to prove it but masks continue in pockets around the state.

I have no problem if you want to wear a mask but don’t insist I have to do so. I’m vaccinated and not at risk for illness. I’m not at risk to give you the illness because I can’t spread it without an infection.

This is all fear and theatrics and not science and data driven.

Ummm, I’ve seen a lot of people wearing masks made of “cloth”. Or even those fishing buffs that actually have holes in them. Do you think everyone is wearing M-95 masks
Right, so what you did there is sort of like somebody saying, “if he thinks a piece of metal is going to fly 150 people across the Atlantic, then he’s an idiot” while talking about an airplane. We actually knew that masks can be pretty effective in individual situations. If you want to argue against mandates, don’t argue against the efficacy of masks, argue against mask mandates as public health policies (ie. that the virus will just spread in places that aren’t subject to the mandate, and that people won’t wear them right anyway and will have a false sense of security).

Reactions: TheArchTiger
Living in Clemson, I have to choose between wearing a mask to gain entry to a Clemson restaurant or store, or go to one outside of the city limits. I usually make the choice to go outside of Clemson. It will be nice to no longer have to make that decision.

I don’t doubt Dr Quattkebaum is smart but he spent a majority of his time last month talking about variants and said Moderna was not yet proven to stop the variants.

According to SCDHEC we’ve had 52 total variant cases in the entire upstate.

Also there are multiple studies now using the actual population in the US showing all three vaccines have been effective against the variants.

Cases are continuing to drop despite the variants existence.

There is little discussion acknowledging herd immunity through a combination of natural immunity post infection + vaccines.

MUSC study published shows upstate counties have as much as 74% of the population immune.

Early on the fear was Covid over running our hospitals. This was a reason Clemson delayed the start of their fall semester.

Little Discussion about the fact that AnMed hospitalizations have dropped from a high of 150 cases in January to just 16 in April/May.

If case counts are low, hospitalizations are low, vaccinated populations and immune populations are up then virus risk is very very low.

Continuing these masks mandates is no longer about following the science , flattening the curve or protecting the vulnerable.

We’ve done all of the above and have the science and numbers to prove it but masks continue in pockets around the state.

I have no problem if you want to wear a mask but don’t insist I have to do so. I’m vaccinated and not at risk for illness. I’m not at risk to give you the illness because I can’t spread it without an infection.

This is all fear and theatrics and not science and data driven.
The reasons why you’d continue to have a mask mandate right now are:
- We’re not at the point where there’s population immunity from infections and immunizations. But we’ll be pretty close to there soon. If you can avoid having any major outbreaks between now and then, it would be great.
- people are most likely to spread virus indoors where they’re spending an extended amount of time. So you might consider tailoring that mandate to indoor spaces.
- mask policies are intended to mitigate risk in the riskiest situations so that you don’t have to close stuff down. If the choice is between something being open at all and requiring masks, then isn’t it better to require masks?
- public health can’t just be about individual choice, or else it won’t work. You have to have broad and nearly universal participation.
- having a mandate makes it easier for private businesses to enforce their own mask rules.
- nobody knows who’s vaccinated, and the vaccines aren’t 100% effective.

On the other hand, while we know that masks are fairly effective at presenting the spread between individuals, mask mandates might not work very well as public health policy because there are lots of places that won’t be subject to a mandate, and mandates are difficult to enforce. At this point, the choice doesn’t really seem like it’s between closing stuff down and wearing masks. And businesses could decide for themselves whether they want to have a mask policy or not (but, then, you’re just back to not liking being told what to do in those businesses). Unfortunately, there seems to be bipartisan agreement about not letting businesses decide for themselves, whether it’s about masks or about requiring proof of vaccination.

Living in Clemson, I have to choose between wearing a mask to gain entry to a Clemson restaurant or store, or go to one outside of the city limits. I usually make the choice to go outside of Clemson. It will be nice to no longer have to make that decision.
I was just in Clemson and I felt like there wasn’t very many places requiring masks, restaurant wise. Don’t think I wore one into a restaurant. Did at stores though.

There’s a lack of leadership. The University has its own set of rules on campus. They were my going to make big changes this spring but everyone assumes it business as usual this fall.
I live in Clemson and didn't know this existed.... No dude abides and the cops don't gaf

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT