ADVERTISEMENT

City of Clemson Votes To Extend Mask Mandate

Actually, the masks probably did lead to the drastic decrease in influenza transmission. SARS-CoV-2 has an R0 at least two to three times greater than the flu, meaning that the rather drastic measures taken to combat Covid will have an even greater impact on similarly spread, but less infectious viruses.
The Largest Randomized Test on Masks show no significant impact...Those pesky Danish people.... https://www.acpjournals.org/doi/10.7326/m20-6817

It’s amazing to me that people are still wearing masks in SC - you’ve either had Covid, are not susceptible to Covid for whatever reason, or have had ample time to get the Covid vaccine….

I'm amazed that people really care so much.. Whether you think it's a conspiracy, political agenda etc... It ain't that deep..Its just a mask... I wear it just in case I am potentially saving someone else's life...
I was in your shoes, but quit once I got vaccinated. My wife is vaccinated and wears hers so she doesn’t feel judged haha

The CDC has evidence that mask mandates somewhat reduce deaths, which means they probably also reduce cases by a larger number. That doesn’t mean they’re particularly effective as public health measures, or that they’re better than letting businesses decide what to do. Just claiming that they only work as behavioral deterrents is wrong, though.
Full disclosure, I’m not claiming to be an expert because I’m confident there are several in this thread much more researched on this topic than me.

But when you look at the trends from across the country from when/where waves have hit, their length and severity, in areas with and without restrictions, it becomes pretty clear that none of these public health mandates really do much of anything other than alter the timing of when they’ll hit.

The virus does its thing, it’s just a matter of when. The only thing that’s really affected that has been immunity, either natural or via vaccine.

Clemson’s mandate included outdoor masks in downtown and was enforced on students down there last fall. They updated it last month to allow people to drink standing up. They voted last week to follow CDC guidelines no longer requiring them outside. But they are continuing the mandate indoors despite the huge decline in cases snd hospitalizations and all folks wanting a vaccine having one now.

I listened to some of the actual council meeting last month and there was so much bad information shared by council members and even their guest doctor, Dr Quattlebaum.

I thought surely after students left they would lift it but evidently not.

The council keeps moving the goal posts. There is no consensus on when it will be safe.

There’s a lack of leadership. The University has its own set of rules on campus. They were my going to make big changes this spring but everyone assumes it business as usual this fall.
You wanna watch real political junk science theater? Watch the last few Chas City Council meetings!

Reactions: nashvegastiger
Yeah, that’s not how it works. The virus has to travel on another particle, it doesn’t just float around by itself. The respiratory particles that are the most likely culprits for virus spread are larger than the holes in the best cloth masks. You could find that out by looking at any study/any of the information out there from reputable sources, but I’m guessing you’re reporting on stuff that just validates what you want to think.
Masks do little in society to stop the spread or a virus. Masks are not worn properly and studies all show there is no difference with and without masks in society for any historical virus. The data is clear.

Everyone - take your freedoms and liberties back.

But many of the droplets and aerosols on which they travel are not. And again, though I know nuance is not very popular on this board and the internet in general, the argument in favor of masks is that while the protection provided at the individual level may or may not be comparatively small, at the population level, the aggregate effect is substantial.
It is actually the opposite). The aggregate effect is small.

The reasons why you’d continue to have a mask mandate right now are:
- We’re not at the point where there’s population immunity from infections and immunizations. But we’ll be pretty close to there soon. If you can avoid having any major outbreaks between now and then, it would be great.
- people are most likely to spread virus indoors where they’re spending an extended amount of time. So you might consider tailoring that mandate to indoor spaces.
- mask policies are intended to mitigate risk in the riskiest situations so that you don’t have to close stuff down. If the choice is between something being open at all and requiring masks, then isn’t it better to require masks?
- public health can’t just be about individual choice, or else it won’t work. You have to have broad and nearly universal participation.
- having a mandate makes it easier for private businesses to enforce their own mask rules.
- nobody knows who’s vaccinated, and the vaccines aren’t 100% effective.

On the other hand, while we know that masks are fairly effective at presenting the spread between individuals, mask mandates might not work very well as public health policy because there are lots of places that won’t be subject to a mandate, and mandates are difficult to enforce. At this point, the choice doesn’t really seem like it’s between closing stuff down and wearing masks. And businesses could decide for themselves whether they want to have a mask policy or not (but, then, you’re just back to not liking being told what to do in those businesses). Unfortunately, there seems to be bipartisan agreement about not letting businesses decide for themselves, whether it’s about masks or about requiring proof of vaccination.
Masks are ineffective. Period. STay inside your house.

Masks do little in society to stop the spread or a virus. Masks are not worn properly and studies all show there is no difference with and without masks in society for any historical virus. The data is clear.

Everyone - take your freedoms and liberties back.
Some of the first paragraph is right, but studies do not “all show there is no difference with and without masks...”. Also, it should probably be repeated that the point of masks was to prevent us from a situation where indoor public spaces had to close. There should be a clear point where governments stop mandating masks, but they haven’t been sone kind of horrible tool of tyranny.

Full disclosure, I’m not claiming to be an expert because I’m confident there are several in this thread much more researched on this topic than me.

But when you look at the trends from across the country from when/where waves have hit, their length and severity, in areas with and without restrictions, it becomes pretty clear that none of these public health mandates really do much of anything other than alter the timing of when they’ll hit.

The virus does its thing, it’s just a matter of when. The only thing that’s really affected that has been immunity, either natural or via vaccine.
I’m not an expert either, but I do have a pretty good idea of where to find reliable expertise. The CDC has evidence that mask policies do seem to save lives and slow the spread of COVID, although the effect is pretty modest. There’s lots of evidence that masks work to prevent the spread individual circumstances, though, but that does depend on people wearing them correctly. I also think it’s interesting that there aren’t big differences between US jurisdictions that had more restrictive policies and ones that didn’t (although, if you compare countries with extremely restrictive policies we never would’ve tolerated to us, there are some differences), but localities within less restrictive states might’ve had more stringent policies, more restrictive policies might’ve been implemented because of outbreaks and less restrictive policies might’ve been adopted because the virus was less prevalent, and more restrictive policies might’ve prevented worse outbreaks. Seems like it would be hard to test or model.

I'm amazed that people really care so much.. Whether you think it's a conspiracy, political agenda etc... It ain't that deep..Its just a mask... I wear it just in case I am potentially saving someone else's life...
Using that line of reasoning, you could quit driving a car as you could potentially be saving someone’s life.

Right, so what you did there is sort of like somebody saying, “if he thinks a piece of metal is going to fly 150 people across the Atlantic, then he’s an idiot” while talking about an airplane. We actually knew that masks can be pretty effective in individual situations. If you want to argue against mandates, don’t argue against the efficacy of masks, argue against mask mandates as public health policies (ie. that the virus will just spread in places that aren’t subject to the mandate, and that people won’t wear them right anyway and will have a false sense of security).
Virus = 50 nm. Average mask hole = 50 microns.

Obviously this works.

You are an example of brainwashing gone mad. Please show any statistic, any, which would that this virus warrants the level of intense paranoid-politically-driven precautions that have been driven down our throats. Look at the bar charts for deaths by age. This isn’t the bubonic plague.

Reactions: vatiger1
Ummm, I’ve seen a lot of people wearing masks made of “cloth”. Or even those fishing buffs that actually have holes in them. Do you think everyone is wearing M-95 masks

I think the mandate should be done away with, but a mask doesn’t have to be N-95 to be beneficial. Even a two ply paper mask or one made of cotton has some benefit.

The OP is right, though. All the at risk population has had ample time to get vaccinated. The adults who won’t get the vaccine are the ones holding everything up now....we could be at herd immunity already if it weren’t for all the people who listen to bad information that cause them to be afraid of a perfectly safe vaccine.

Masks wouldn’t even be an issue anymore if folks would just do their civic duty and get vaccinated. Now as a result of these anti-vaxxers this thing is gonna continue to mutate.

Reactions: dpic73
Actually, the masks probably did lead to the drastic decrease in influenza transmission. SARS-CoV-2 has an R0 at least two to three times greater than the flu, meaning that the rather drastic measures taken to combat Covid will have an even greater impact on similarly spread, but less infectious viruses.

Of course it has. That dude can’t see what is right in front of his face. The massive mask mandates coupled with social distancing and religious hand washing/sanitizing has most certainly been the most major contributor to the massive drop in cases of influenza, a virus that is much less contagious than Covid-19.

Honestly this is how I’ve always viewed it. The folks who have been up in arms about mask from day one are hilarious with their faux outrage. But now that the vaccine has been widely available, there’s no more need for them IMO.

You are an example of brainwashing gone mad. Please show any statistic, any, which would that this virus warrants the level of intense paranoid-politically-driven precautions that have been driven down our throats. Look at the bar charts for deaths by age. This isn’t the bubonic plague.
Idc about stats... you can twist stats to prove/disapprove any point... Its a F^^##IN mask.. I can see if you had to wait in line for 2 hours to get one or pay 20 dollars a day... I wear just because... Its NOT that big of a deal

Reactions: BigShotBobby
Studies have come out showing that masks work both as source control (which was already well established) and less well as protection for wearer (which has been further established during the pandemic). However, that doesn’t mean that mask mandates are great public health policies, because mass mask wearing still might not reduce the spread even if they work to reduce the spread at an individual level.

Here’s what the CDC put out a little while ago showing that mass mask wearing does reduce viral spread: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/science/science-briefs/masking-science-sars-cov2.html
As a quick caveat, yes I'm going to go through many of the non-COVID-19 specific studies but let me share a little bit about why I get frustrated with how the CDC presents information.

These studies (that are specific to COVID-19 and face coverings) provided by the CDC further illustrate my point that they are not isolating masks and comparing them to groups in a double-blind, placebo controlled type of environment. If you read what the link you sent says in the table summarizing the articles, the CDC implies, in almost each case, that the “mask wearing reduces the spread”, etc. However, when you look at the actual linked articles, its ALL mitigation factors in essentially every case and then they take that information and automatically correlate it with the mask wearing without noting that there were many other mitigation factors.

Honestly, I don't think that there is a way to isolate them, on the population level, at the moment. Why? Because there has been so much fear/hesitancy (some rightfully so) by the populations that CORRELATES with City Mitigation Methods. Meaning, just that behavioral change would significantly reduce the spread, in theory, though you cannot isolate the methods in that manner. It would need to be done in a laboratory setting (which has been done for years...more later).

Let me illustrate by going through the first five of the studies that are referenced, specific to COVID-19, on the link you provided:

• Hendrix May 2020
    • Quote from the actual research article: "The citywide ordinance reduced maximum building waiting area seating to 25% of normal capacity and recommended the use of face coverings at indoor and outdoor public places where physical distancing was not possible. Both company and city policies were likely important factors in preventing the spread of SARS-CoV-2 during these interactions between clients and stylists. These results support the use of face coverings in places open to the public, especially when social distancing is not possible, to reduce spread of SARS-CoV-2."
      • Face coverings NOT isolated from other factors and they concluded that they work without a baseline of comparison
  • Payne June 2020
    • Quote from the actual research article: "Preventive measures, such as using face coverings and observing social distancing, reduced risk for infection."
      • Once again, not isolated. Face coverings are said to work, in and of themselves, when they are combined with other mitigation factors.
  • Wang Y May 2020
    • "Reduction of secondary transmission of SARS-CoV-2 in households by face mask use, disinfection and social distancing"
  • Doung-Ngern P et al September 2020
    • Abstract: "We found the type of mask worn was not independently associated with infection and that contacts who always wore masks were more likely to practice social distancing. Maintaining >1 m distance from a person with COVID-19, having close contact for <15 minutes, and frequent handwashing were independently associated with lower risk for infection. Our findings support consistent wearing of masks, handwashing, and social distancingto protect against COVID-19."
      • This is why I mentioned behavioral changes associated with Mask Mandates moreso than the actual mask
  • Gallaway October 2020
    • "beginning approximately 2 weeks after implementation and enforcement of mask mandates and enhanced sanitations practices began on June 17"
In summary, I’m certainly not against many of the mitigation practices but, as I said before, I want to see studies that isolate masks/face coverings, using the scientific method, just like we’ve done for years and years when it was shown that they didn’t work (just like Fauci said prior to all the mask mandate crazes).

If you’re willing to read, I can send you about 20 pages of research articles from BEFORE COVID-19 that actually isolate masks and face coverings.

Last edited:
The Largest Randomized Test on Masks show no significant impact...Those pesky Danish people.... https://www.acpjournals.org/doi/10.7326/m20-6817
A systematic meta-analysis of 162 studies published in arguably the most well-respected medical journal in the world, the Lancet, suggests otherwise.

Also, the study itself says its findings were inconclusive, with the data being compatible with a 46 percent reduction in transmission to a 23% increase.

Do you still wear gloves as well?

To be clear, that study didn't report "no significant impact." It was inconclusive -- failing to reach "statistical significance," or confidence the results were non-random or attributable to the phenomenon being tested.
Here's the precise, summarized, Conclusion: "The recommendation to wear surgical masks to supplement other public health measures did not reduce the SARS-CoV-2 infection rate among wearers by more than 50% in a community with modest infection rates, some degree of social distancing, and uncommon general mask use. The data were compatible with lesser degrees of self-protection."

ALSO

"a recommendation to wear a surgical mask when outside the home among others did not reduce, at conventional levels of statistical significance, incident SARS-CoV-2 infection compared with no mask recommendation."
AND "Masks have been hypothesized to reduce inoculum size (34) and could increase the likelihood that infected mask users are asymptomatic, but this hypothesis has been challenged (35)"
AND "The face masks provided to participants were high-quality surgical masks with a filtration rate of 98% (37). A published meta-analysis found no statistically significant difference in preventing influenza in health care workers between respirators (N95 [American standard] or FFP2 [European standard]) and surgical face masks (38)"
AND
"Thus, spread of SARS-CoV-2 via aerosols would at least partially explain the present findings. Lack of eye protection may also have been of importance, and use of face shields also covering the eyes (rather than face masks only) has been advocated to halt the conjunctival route of transmission (40, 41). We observed no statistically significant interaction between wearers and nonwearers of eyeglasses (Supplement Figure 2). Recent reports indicate that transmission of SARS-CoV-2 via fomites is unusual (42), but masks may alter behavior (@ChicagoTiger85 ;) )and potentially affect fomite transmission."
AND
"Recent observational studies that indicate a protective association between mandated mask use in the community and SARS-CoV-2 transmission are limited by study design and simultaneous introduction of other public health interventions (14, 43)."
A systematic meta-analysis of 162 studies published in arguably the most well-respected medical journal in the world, the Lancet, suggests otherwise.

Also, the study itself says its findings were inconclusive, with the data being compatible with a 46 percent reduction in transmission to a 23% increase.
The last sentence, above this quote, in large font, is what I've been harping on ITT and it applies to the specific Lancet data that you linked, to some degree. Here is some exact verbiage from the link you provided:

"From database inception to May 3, 2020, we searched for studies of any design and in any setting that included patients with WHO-defined confirmed or probable COVID-19, SARS, or MERS, and people in close contact with them, comparing distances between people and COVID-19 infected patients of 1 m or larger with smaller distances, with or without a face mask on the patient, or with or without a face mask, eye protection, or both on the exposed individual."

In the concluding tables, re: each of the 3 major items researched, face masks receive a "low certainty" designation, meaning: "low certainty (our confidence in the effect estimate is limited; the true effect could be substantially different from the estimate of the effect)". Every single one of the face masks studies are in health care settings and they (nearly) all do not isolate face masks because they include other mitigation efforts in addition to the face masks. IOW, if they're going to pop a face mask on someone (whichever kind), they are almost always going to provide for additional mitigation techniques; of which, are mentioned within just the title of the linked articles. IMO, that's the main reasons why they designate it as "low certainty".

Last edited:
Here's the precise, summarized, Conclusion: "The recommendation to wear surgical masks to supplement other public health measures did not reduce the SARS-CoV-2 infection rate among wearers by more than 50% in a community with modest infection rates, some degree of social distancing, and uncommon general mask use. The data were compatible with lesser degrees of self-protection."

ALSO

"a recommendation to wear a surgical mask when outside the home among others did not reduce, at conventional levels of statistical significance, incident SARS-CoV-2 infection compared with no mask recommendation."
AND "Masks have been hypothesized to reduce inoculum size (34) and could increase the likelihood that infected mask users are asymptomatic, but this hypothesis has been challenged (35)"
AND "The face masks provided to participants were high-quality surgical masks with a filtration rate of 98% (37). A published meta-analysis found no statistically significant difference in preventing influenza in health care workers between respirators (N95 [American standard] or FFP2 [European standard]) and surgical face masks (38)"
AND
"Thus, spread of SARS-CoV-2 via aerosols would at least partially explain the present findings. Lack of eye protection may also have been of importance, and use of face shields also covering the eyes (rather than face masks only) has been advocated to halt the conjunctival route of transmission (40, 41). We observed no statistically significant interaction between wearers and nonwearers of eyeglasses (Supplement Figure 2). Recent reports indicate that transmission of SARS-CoV-2 via fomites is unusual (42), but masks may alter behavior (@ChicagoTiger85 ;) )and potentially affect fomite transmission."
AND
"Recent observational studies that indicate a protective association between mandated mask use in the community and SARS-CoV-2 transmission are limited by study design and simultaneous introduction of other public health interventions (14, 43)."

The last sentence, in large font, is what I've been harping on ITT and it applies to the specific Lancet data that you linked, to some degree. Here is some exact verbiage from the link you provided:

"From database inception to May 3, 2020, we searched for studies of any design and in any setting that included patients with WHO-defined confirmed or probable COVID-19, SARS, or MERS, and people in close contact with them, comparing distances between people and COVID-19 infected patients of 1 m or larger with smaller distances, with or without a face mask on the patient, or with or without a face mask, eye protection, or both on the exposed individual."

In the concluding tables, re: each of the 3 major items researched, face masks receive a "low certainty" designation, meaning: "low certainty (our confidence in the effect estimate is limited; the true effect could be substantially different from the estimate of the effect)". Every single one of the face masks studies are in health care settings and they (nearly) all do not isolate face masks because they include other mitigation efforts in addition to the face masks. IOW, if they're going to pop a face mask on someone (whichever kind), they are almost always going to provide for additional mitigation techniques; of which, are mentioned within just the title of the linked articles. IMO, that's the main reasons why they designate it as "low certainty".
Herein lies the most obvious challenge facing researchers trying to quantify all of this. There are a lot of moving parts to a pandemic, so you're not going to find a study that perfectly controls what you need to control, isolate groups the way you need to and keep data applicable to others, delineate those who do/do not wear masks from those who do/do not take part in other risk mitigating steps, etc.

Of course, that also perhaps is a pretty solid argument that these steps, including mask-wearing, should be taken in concert with each other, rather than precluding one because they make us uncomfortable.

The other obvious consideration is, if wearing a mask, social distancing, and other protocols fight spread, at one point do we move forward, responsibly, with lifting them? I'd say we have enough data to suggest wearing a mask, especially in tandem with other measures, works. How long we ought to keep them up might be driven primarily by herd immunity reached by vaccination participation and obviously those who have already been infected.

Herein lies the most obvious challenge facing researchers trying to quantify all of this. There are a lot of moving parts to a pandemic, so you're not going to find a study that perfectly controls what you need to control, isolate groups the way you need to and keep data applicable to others, delineate those who do/do not wear masks from those who do/do not take part in other risk mitigating steps, etc.

Of course, that also perhaps is a pretty solid argument that these steps, including mask-wearing, should be taken in concert with each other, rather than precluding one because they make us uncomfortable.

The other obvious consideration is, if wearing a mask, social distancing, and other protocols fight spread, at one point do we move forward, responsibly, with lifting them? I'd say we have enough data to suggest wearing a mask, especially in tandem with other measures, works. How long we ought to keep them up might be driven primarily by herd immunity reached by vaccination participation and obviously those who have already been infected.
I appreciate the way in which you’re discussing this, thank you.

You bring up some solid points; however, that’s not the general narrative to which I was responding. Meaning, the narrative has been, in general, “the masks work”, period. My contention has been that we need evidence to support that, precisely because, it changes behavior in such a way as to impact the 1st Amendment.

The other issue is that, prior to SARS2-COV, the mask issue was essentially settled. There is a, and forgive the crossover, Stare Decisis, element to this entire process. The scientific literature was pretty well settled, as it applies to face coverings, prior to this craze. So much so that even Fauci went on 60 Minutes expressing his held belief that masks didn’t really help anything, prior to the mandates.

That said, if it was presented in the way you framed it: “Let’s try all these things to mitigate risk”, as opposed to “masks work stop asking questions” (I’m expressing the narratives) I think many would be much more likely to comply. The problem is, to me, you need substantial proof, to implement something on a population level, especially considering that it seems to contradict the previously help scientific opinion.

Last edited:
Reactions: Idoconcrete
You bring up some solid points; however, that’s not the general narrative to which I was responding. Meaning, the narrative has been, in general, “the masks work”, period. My contention has been that we need evidence to support that, precisely because, it changes behavior in such a way as to impact the 1st and 2nd Amendments.

If the argument is that state/local governments enforcing policies within their police powers in the absence of clear evidence of effectiveness could lead them to restrict free speech/gun rights without clear evidence of effectiveness, that seems like a bit of a stretch to me given their legal review is subject to entirely different tests (rational basis vs. intermediate/strict scrutiny).

If the argument is that state/local governments enforcing policies within their police powers in the absence of clear evidence of effectiveness could lead them to restrict free speech/gun rights without clear evidence of effectiveness, that seems like a bit of a stretch to me given their legal review is subject to entirely different tests (rational basis vs. intermediate/strict scrutiny).
I mistyped re: the 2nd Amendment. It’s not pertinent to this discussion.

I would say it could set a bad precedent but that’s a completely separate discussion.

I’m a card carrying democrat that has stoped wearing a mask (Georgia) unless someone asks me to put it on.

I’m fully vaccinated and everyone in this state has had an opportunity to be fully vaccinated at this point.
And here we are

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT