ADVERTISEMENT

Clay Travis gets it!

The sad truth is that in Indonesia if Lebron pulls that contract those factory workers will be unemployed with only worse options than the shoe factory. They are not slave labor. That is a terrible job, but in a country that has no better options currently in that region, it is similar to being a coal miner in wva or pennsylvania or a sharecropper years ago. With no education, that is the only job someone will pay you to do

Why not make all shoes in the USA?? The answer is global capitalism.

Is Travis an activist/protectionist (bc only extreme liberals hate sweatshops in modern politics) or a capitalist?

Guy is trying too hard.
you get it

Reactions: clemben
I don’t know who Clay Travis is. For real. After reading this thread, I am now proud I don’t know because a lot of people think he’s a goob even though I agree with him that Lebron shouldn’t have said that about slavery.

Sweet Jesus...I make my company profitable and get paid in return. No, I don't consider myself a slave. The college athlete has many perks I could only wish for and in return they make the university profitable. Get it?
Dude I don’t know what has you so upset. Maybe you should take a break. Your short temper has you lashing out at people for no good reason.

The first statement that you responded to was that college athletes are treated more like slaves than professional athletes. You called the guy a name for thinking that. You have yet to provide one piece of evidence in your arguments that disputes that point. You seem to only want to act like a tough guy on the internet and that’s fine. You do you. But don’t talk down to me when you can’t even address the issue in the first place

Reactions: DWC99 and XCUDB
Agree you should t compare them. But his statement is accurate. College players work for free outside of getting an education. While making institutions millions of dollars. Do I want to compare athletes to slaves, no. However, college athletes are more of slaves than professional athletes. So he’s not a moron. And perhaps you can have a civil discussion without resorting to name calling. As I have just tried to do with you
YOU ARE NOT A SLAVE IF YOU HAVE OPTIONS TO WALK AWAY AND DO SOMETHING ELSE THAT YOU CHOOSE ON YOUR OWN. Yes, I yelled that. It's common sense. WTF is wrong with people today?

Reactions: CU12341234
Agree you should t compare them. But his statement is accurate. College players work for free outside of getting an education. While making institutions millions of dollars. Do I want to compare athletes to slaves, no. However, college athletes are more of slaves than professional athletes. So he’s not a moron. And perhaps you can have a civil discussion without resorting to name calling. As I have just tried to do with you
YOU ARE NOT A SLAVE IF YOU HAVE OPTIONS TO WALK AWAY AND DO SOMETHING ELSE THAT YOU CHOOSE ON YOUR OWN. Yes, I yelled that. It's common sense. WTF is wrong with people today?
I’ll tell you what’s common sense. Read the initial post. It’s a comparison. College to pros. Has nothing to do with me thinking anybody is a slave. What’s wrong with people today is like you they just want to yell at someone on a message board without even knowing what they are talking about

I’ll tell you what’s common sense. Read the initial post. It’s a comparison. College to pros. Has nothing to do with me thinking anybody is a slave. What’s wrong with people today is like you they just want to yell at someone on a message board without even knowing what they are talking about
No not really. But carry on.

No not really. But carry on.
So then you’re denying yelling at someone just now. All while not addressing the issue that was in discussion. Which was a comparison of college athletes to pro athletes.

Carry on I shall....

So then you’re denying yelling at someone just now. All while not addressing the issue that was in discussion. Which was a comparison of college athletes to pro athletes.

Carry on I shall....
I wasn't specifically yelling at you, so apologies. I also just noticed that I'm on the Round Table, which I pretty much despise. I'm going back to the other board. Have a good one.

Dude I don’t know what has you so upset. Maybe you should take a break. Your short temper has you lashing out at people for no good reason.

The first statement that you responded to was that college athletes are treated more like slaves than professional athletes. You called the guy a name for thinking that. You have yet to provide one piece of evidence in your arguments that disputes that point. You seem to only want to act like a tough guy on the internet and that’s fine. You do you. But don’t talk down to me when you can’t even address the issue in the first place
Wut? I was responding to an asinine statement from someone else.i gave you and him plenty of examples . WTF are you talking about?

I wasn't specifically yelling at you, so apologies. I also just noticed that I'm on the Round Table, which I pretty much despise. I'm going back to the other board. Have a good one.
Ok gotcha. Holy cow I’ve never been on the round table before. Not good. I’m out of here as well

I always sit back in astonishment when I see the reaction of the white males on this board. Particularly when someone of another race talks about racism, slavery, unarmed deaths, etc. You become extremely defensive, dismissive, and angry. A hit dog will holler. For the record I disagree with Mr. James' comment. College athletics are closer to slavery than the professionals.

XCUDB

You're a fvcking moron if you think that.

How exactly are pro athletes closer to slavery than college athletes?

I was calling him a moron for suggesting college athletes was closer to slavery than NFL players. Anyone comparing athletes to slavery at any level are morons.

Time for a for a basic grammar lesson...

Comparison is a feature in the morphology or syntax of some languages, whereby adjectives and adverbs are inflected or modified to indicate the relative degree of the property defined by the adjective or adverb.

The grammatical category associated with comparison of adjectives and adverbs is degree of comparison. In general, there are three degrees of comparison:
  1. Positive
  2. Comparative
  3. Superlative
Positive Degree: This is used to denote the mere existence of quality. It is used when no comparison is made.
Most college educated adults have a strong understanding of basic grammar.
When you reread your response before clicking 'Post Reply,' you prevent others from thinking that you are an ignorant asshat.

Comparative Degree: This is used to compare the qualities of two nouns. This comparison is a judgement of one noun versus the other. To compare more than two nouns requires the Superlative Degree.
College athletics are closer to slavery than the professionals.
A person who doesn't understand degrees of comparison is going to be the bigger idiot in any message board conversation.​

Superlative Degree: This is used to compare the qualities of more than two nouns. This comparison can be used to compare three nouns against one another or a single noun against any other (unstated) option.
"I was calling him a moron for suggesting college athletes was closer to slavery than NFL players. Anyone comparing athletes to slavery at any level are morons." is the dumbest ****ing things that I've seen on this board in a long time because it shows either a complete lack of reading comprehension and/or basic grammar.
Given the use of "anyone... are" in the statement, I would venture that readers who have retained the most information from elementary and middle school can draw the proper conclusion.

TLDR Don't be a ****ing moron when insulting others.

Reactions: XCUDB
College players get more than an education. They get free housing, food, clothes, health care, tutors and so much more. They will leave college debt free and have a foot in the door with most employers in that area upon graduating. No they are being treated just fine. They chose to sign on the dotted line. To equate college athletes to slavery is absurd and respect to someone that makes such a claim will not be given by me.
Yes, his take was so absurd that it makes name calling almost warranted. Being a college athlete.is almost the antithesis of traditional slavery.

I expect all who are outraged by this never shop at a Wal-Mart and only buy American, despite sometimes higher prices.

Nice post! Remember when Sam Wal was alive and Walmart carried stuff made in the US where possible? The Apples fell VERY far from the tree with Wal and his kids.

CU12341234 for the record I am not offended by your name calling or position. You are on a computer and I know you would not have said anything out of line in my face. Cause I am not passive the discussion would have ended when you changed the tone. I will probably never meet in life so it is good. I hesitated to post cause I knew how it would go. I said in my initial post white men will get extremely defensive, dismissive, angry, etc. You are a great example of that. Finally, you said "They get free housing, food, clothes, health care, tutors and so much more" on the plantation slaves received too. The tutoring was learning how to cook, clean, nurse the masters babies, and give him sex when he wanted.

XCUDB the MORON!

I sit back in astonishment every time a black male in this day and age even brings up slavery. You have no more relation to slavery than I do. Yet it’s brought up like it was 1985. Give me a damn break.

HAHAHAHAHA!!!! :eek::eek::eek::confused::cool:o_O:rolleyes: Yeah right!

ADVERTISEMENT