ADVERTISEMENT

****Clemson COVID update

Good God. Are we really doing this? Asymptomatic and zero hospitalizations. As this virus mutates it is clearly getting weaker and weaker. This is turning into not much more than a common cold. FFS this is so out of hand.

At what point do leaders stand up and say “we have clearly noticed a weakening in the virus and no longer need to be testing and restricting events do to asymptomatic positives.”

What frustrates me the most is the major lag between scientific data and rational decisions being made that affect all of us.
What scientific info do you have about the virus mutating and becoming weaker?

That doesn’t seem to be the case in Texas where hospitals are running out of capacity.

But I guess it is alright to make things up.

The Phillies just closed their spring training facilities because 8 team members tested positive. Those are generally young athletes too.

Why not let the scientists offer the scientific explanations for how COVID is spreading. Even if you did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

And those arguing for “herd” containment should understand that it won’t happen until about 80% of the US has had the disease. That would not happen for well over a year.

Say goodbye to most college sports for a long time if that’s the case.

You talk about so many people being out of a job and certain programs shut down, while most players would not even notice a symptom.

There is no scenario where college football should be shut down given how much it funds everything else.
You priorities are really askew. Yes, we could shut down every university but no way can we shut down college football. Because football pays the bills.

Reactions: clmtigr1
You priorities are really askew. Yes, we could shut down every university but no way can we shut down college football. Because football pays the bills.

We shouldn’t be shutting down any schools, universities, college football, or any other sports, including pee wee league soccer. Life has to go on as normal, with precautions in place to protect the minute portion of our population that is vulnerable.

From Clemson's AD:

Clemson Athletics COVID-19 Update

Thus far in the month of June, Clemson Athletics student-athletes and staff have completed 315 tests for COVID-19 with a total of 28 positive results.

Clemson has notified and isolated each of those individuals who tested positive for a period of at least 10 days. Close known contacts have also been asked to self-quarantine for at least 14 days. Most of the total cases have been asymptomatic, and none have required hospitalization. As community transmission continues throughout the area, it is advised that individuals monitor for symptoms.

As the State of South Carolina and the Upstate continue to experience community transmission of COVID-19, individuals are advised to continue to practice non-pharmaceutical interventions, including face coverings and social distancing.

More information about steps individuals should take if they test positive or have known exposure is available on the University’s website at www.clemson.edu/coronavirus, and detailed instructions on notification procedures will continue to be updated on that site.

FROM THE TIGER FAN SHOP: Click HERE to check out all of our inventory, plus early summer DEALS on officially-licensed CLEMSON apparel!
g2qchpssqpgluzgnioze

Hey Larry. Do you have any insight on why such a large percentage of the cases are on the football team? I know there are more football players on campus currently as a percentage of athletes, but it seems the ratio of cases involving football players is much higher than ratio of football to non-football on campus.

This is actually probably a good thing as far as the football season goes. I imagine if a player tests positive during the season they will not play in at least 2 games. The ones who get it now will most likely be good to go for the season.

Reactions: nashvegastiger
For everyone screaming herd immunity, has it been proven yet that you are immune to this once you have had it once? I haven't seen anything that says they've proven that yet.
I haven’t heard of anyone getting it twice. So...

Reactions: Mcclaing15
Good God. Are we really doing this? Asymptomatic and zero hospitalizations. As this virus mutates it is clearly getting weaker and weaker. This is turning into not much more than a common cold. FFS this is so out of hand.

At what point do leaders stand up and say “we have clearly noticed a weakening in the virus and no longer need to be testing and restricting events do to asymptomatic positives.”

What frustrates me the most is the major lag between scientific data and rational decisions being made that affect all of us.

I mean this in all seriousness.

What the **** is wrong with you?

Stop with the Trump propaganda bullshit and just wear a ****ing mask. People like you are getting thousands of people killed.

Meeting me at a Wachovia would not bode well for you, but that response from you shows you’re too caught up in this, so I digress.

Still a lot of unknowns with this virus. “Experts” who does this for a living has changed their opinions over a 3-4 month window, so just bc you’ve read up on it and posts the stats that supports your obvious stance, it doesn’t make you right.

I’m not going to use the ignore function, but you’re becoming that poster you probably used to shake your head at in the past. We understand your opinion. You can say it a million different ways, but you’re saying the same thing.

Dang, I just noticed, you changed your name too??

Say goodbye to most college sports for a long time if that’s the case.

You talk about so many people being out of a job and certain programs shut down, while most players would not even notice a symptom.

There is no scenario where college football should be shut down given how much it funds everything else.

So these kids should be made to risk their lives and health so other people make money. Got it.

Most of the cases were asymptomatic and none required hospitalization.

as many have said the virus simply isn’t bad for 99.9999 percent of young people...especially college age kids

Reactions: clemmer
Excellent analysis from a friend of mine.....

When is COVID-19 going away? What is the ‘end point’ for a return to full socialization?

If you think the disease will be eliminated, think again. It has become an endemic virus that will be among us for the foreseeable future, if not forever.

If you think there will be a vaccine to eliminate the virus, think again. There has never been an effective vaccine for any coronavirus. These are complex, encapsulated viruses with rapidly mutating genomics.

Influenza viruses are similar but lack the saccharide protective coating of the coronaviruses. There are likely hundreds of genomic variants of the COVID-19 strain (over 3 dozen genetically sequenced back in February). Good luck developing specific vaccines for each of the uniquely virulent variants; and, staying ahead of the evolutionary process of new variants. That would be a scientific achievement that is beyond expectations, both economic and technical.

Each year the influenza vaccine is a cocktail of the most likely strains of influenza expected to spread across the globe during any given flu season. Virologists get some right and some wrong each year. This will likely be the same scenario for any COVID-19 vaccine. The challenge is finding the emerging virus variants early and culturing an effective vaccine for each...months in advance.

The endpoint is herd immunity, when 70-80% of the population has been infected and developed an immune response. This can be through disease or vaccination; likely the former route will be most prevalent. As with influenza, new virulent strains will mean new herd immunity builds before the disease process dies down again. Think in terms of annual flu outbreaks.

There is a transmission factor, R, which is a measure of disease spread within a population. It is initially high with virulent strains and low population immunity. It eventually drops below 1.0 and the disease reduces spread until it is no longer an epidemic, just a sporadic infection. Epidemiology is a fascinating science. There will be fatalities, and with some variants there will be 100’s of thousands of deaths, if not millions.

Hide forever if you wish. Flattening the curve only means pushing the endpoint further out. When you think it is safe to remove your mask and come out from this pandemic, the next COVID variant will emerge. Are we going to go into bunker mode again, or will we realize disease is part of life and get on with living? The world is undergoing a paradigm shift. Accept it or go mad. Look at the world around you. Many are choosing to go mad…

For those of you freaking out...

This is a huge blessing. We are 25%-30% of the way to Herd immunity on the the team.

Literally none of them have serious symptoms. If anyone even has a fever it’s not being talked about.

The ones who don’t have it now wish they had it now. No one wants it in August or September when they will have to miss practice or games.

Young healthy elite athletes are not affected the same way that nursing home patients are affected. Remember the NBA players that tested positive? None of them got sick.

The Clemson players didn’t even know they had it. They were working out vigorously one minute and tapped on the shoulder the next and removed from drills per protocol.

They will push through and be fine.

I have a college senior at another school and this has already started on other campuses in the general population. My son had dozens of fraternity brothers and friends in sororities that stayed on campus and they all got it this spring. They weren’t social distancing. But None of the college age kids had serious symptoms either. Many others tested later for antibodies and were positive as well without even knowing they had it.

I also have a freshmen reporting to campus at Clemson this fall. Can you tell I’m not worried? You shouldn’t be either.

Go back to the student that posted on this thread. Read his comments.

If someone has an immune disorder or is overweight with hypertension or diabetes that is different. But healthy athletes that are 18-22 years olds are going to push through this quickly or not even have symptoms.

I feel terrible for your kid that he has such a heartless and ignorant father

https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/hea...s-and-covid-19-younger-adults-are-at-risk-too

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41591-020-0962-9

from 4 days ago:
"We estimate that susceptibility to infection in individuals under 20 years of age is approximately half that of adults aged over 20 years, and that clinical symptoms manifest in 21% (95% credible interval: 12–31%) of infections in 10- to 19-year-olds, rising to 69% (57–82%) of infections in people aged over 70 years."

https://www.medscape.com/answers/25...y-to-die-of-coronavirus-disease-2019-covid-19

updated today:
COVID-19–related deaths in China have mostly involved older individuals (≥60 years) and persons with serious underlying health conditions. In the United States, attributable deaths have been most common in adults aged 85 years or older (10%-27%), followed by adults aged 65-84 years (3%-11%), adults aged 55-64 years (1%-3%), and adults aged 20-54 years (< 1%). As of March 16, 2020 no fatalities or ICU admissions had been reported in persons aged 19 years or younger.

article is over 2 months old...

so?

You want a more recent one, here you go:

https://www.vox.com/2020/5/8/21251899/coronavirus-long-term-effects-symptoms

there’s so much we still don’t know. No doubt, COVID doesn’t impact the young as it dies the old. But there is lots of emerging research suggesting that it can have serious long term impacts on young people

not to mention that the more young people who get it, the more old people who eventually will

yet so many here are just cavalier about that. Willing to put other peopl at risk so they can have their football on Saturday.

I love football. I love Clemson football. That’s why I’m on this board.

it sure as hell ain’t worth risking the health of these kids, or the public health of the broader community

Anyone wanna take bets on how long it’ll take some talking head to say we deserved this because Dabo is a racist and which one it’ll be?

Stephen A 2:1
S. Sharp 5:1
C. Cowherd 7:3
S. Bayless 9:4

But who are we kidding

All Sports Talk Shows from Broadcast Television to FM Talk to XM for some reason are on a National CFB WitchHunt the likes of a modern day 'Sports McCarthyIsm' we have never SEEN before.

One of my goto Hosts who I like to listen to and respect basically took OSU Coach Mike Gundy and dressed him down to the equivalent of a Jr High Waterboy on today's show. I listen / view the show on PC while working daily.

He cut Gundy down to sawdust like I have never heard before. Deserved or not, y'all decide but I thought the commentary was Chernobyl Hot VicBurn Ward 6.

This is a huge blessing. We are 25%-30% of the way to Herd immunity on the the team.

Literally none of them have serious symptoms. If anyone even has a fever it’s not being talked about.

The ones who don’t have it now wish they had it now. No one wants it in August or September when they will have to miss practice or games.

Young healthy elite athletes are not affected the same way that nursing home patients are affected. Remember the NBA players that tested positive? None of them got sick.

The Clemson players didn’t even know they had it. They were working out vigorously one minute and tapped on the shoulder the next and removed from drills per protocol.

I have a college senior at another school and this has already started on other campuses in the general population. My son had dozens of fraternity brothers and friends in sororities that stayed on campus and they all got it this spring. They weren’t social distancing. But None of the college age kids had serious symptoms either. Many others tested later for antibodies and were positive as well without even knowing they had it.

I also have a freshmen reporting to campus at Clemson this fall. Can you tell I’m not worried? You shouldn’t be either.

If someone has an immune disorder or is overweight with hypertension or diabetes that is different. But healthy athletes that are 18-22 years olds are going to push through this quickly or not even have symptoms.

I like the thinking here...

I agree, but to play Devils Advocate on your last paragraph:

I would be willing to bet 1 of our 300+lb lineman have hypertension. Even though they are athletes, there is nothing healthy about weighing 320 lbs.

Also, would be willing to bet we have at least 1 immune-compromised player on the squad as well. And even others with missed underlying conditions.

Different beast, but don’t forget no one had a clue Ross had a messed up neck until this year.

Reactions: ddot7
I mean this in all seriousness.

What the **** is wrong with you?

Stop with the Trump propaganda bullshit and just wear a ****ing mask. People like you are getting thousands of people killed.
What a horrible take. People bringing up politics and crushing Trump about COVID is just furthering the divide in the country already. Not saying I agree with everything Trump does but you can’t blame him for COVID as this has pandemic has been worse in several countries such as France, Spain, United Kingdom, Italy, Belgium and Sweden on a per capita basis, and many smaller island Nations (Andorra, San Marino, Sint Maarten)

What a horrible take. People bringing up politics and crushing Trump about COVID is just furthering the divide in the country already. Not saying I agree with everything Trump does but you can’t blame him for COVID as this has pandemic has been worse in several countries such as France, Spain, United Kingdom, Italy, Belgium and Sweden on a per capita basis, and many smaller island Nations (Andorra, San Marino, Sint Maarten)

Whether you swing left or right, I really don't get how anyone can say this is Trump's fault. The guy was criticized for closing travel to China and then Europe back in March, in fact Dems called him racist when he shut travel to China. This guy has taken more abuse than any president in history, some deserved and some pretty unjust in my opinion. I have no idea why he would want to be president again at this point. Not to turn this into a political debate but I'll remind people that Trump has been in politics for about 3.7 years.......Biden, Pelosi, etc have been around for 30 + years so think about that when you point fingers over policies and issues.

The original advice he (Trump) received from the CDC and Fauci was that it wasn't going to reach the US. The reality is that it was here back in 2019 and no one had any idea, so how do you blame someone for their decision making when they didn't have crystal clear data when deciding to either cripple the economy or press forward like Sweden? That's an insanely hard decision given how many people die from poverty related causes every year.

If you've listened to the WHO, the CDC and any statistical scientist, they've all changed predictions, tactics, preventative advice, etc. It's a revolving door of conflicting data. The entire point of going into shelter in place was to flatten the curve, not wait for a cure. Also, if you speak to any doctors on the ground who are treating patients, they are telling anyone who will listen that patients aren't coming in "as sick" at this stage. The question is, who do you trust; the scientist doing desk research based on dicey data (health care doesn't have a common data model or central data base) or the person seeing hundreds of patients on the ground?

The point Trump is trying to make on getting back to normal is that the economy can't sustain the lack of organic income from all of the closures for too much longer before we land in a depression so deep many of us won't be around to see the country pull out of it. At some point, the government can't put any more "fake money" capital injections into the economy and we will bottom out.

Last point I'll make.....if the government is telling the entire country that protesting, rioting, etc is ok for large droves of people with zero restrictions then I don't get how you can continue telling everyone else that going to a rally, a sporting event, a mall etc isn't allowed. That's contradicting and pointless.

100% agree. Just pointing out that anything Donald does is done to benefit Donald. Narcissism 101.

Most people would agree with that. :)

The challenge I have is that I don't disagree with some of his policies, especially in putting business logic into Government but his demeanor and delivery eradicate any of the smart things he does or says. This election is going to be interesting as I see more people voting this year than in any other election. Question is, do the dems lose votes as a result of things like Seattle debacle, defunding police, etc. Will be interesting to see who toes the line between left and right.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT