ADVERTISEMENT

Dan Wolken

Dan is a first class douchebag. This shouldn’t surprise anyone and it’s clear he has a political agenda with all of his writing, not just about covid. He is very angry about life like most liberals and wants to suck happiness and fun out of most things. Ive never seen him write positive articles
Jesus F*cking Christ.

Reactions: TigerLion06
This is about as fair and objective as possible. It’s hard to get most people on here to understand because of the bias toward Dabo as well as other reasons it’s not worth getting into.
We just all aren’t rooting for a million deaths like you.

The next time Dabo is asked about this he should say "Ask Dan Wolken. He is the most knowledgeable person out there on every subject known to mankind"
Best
The next time Dabo is asked about this he should say "Ask Dan Wolken. He is the most knowledgeable person out there on every subject known to mankind"
At the worst, we have football season in the spring.

Is he rooting hard for the virus or is he rooting hard for taking every measure to reduce the spread/impact of the virus?
He is just vehemently opposed to cautious optimism that has no effect on policy and hurts nothing. That’s all. No need to be critical, he can make his case without that.

Not arguing against you here, just providing some perspective:

The fact that Wolken and others don't share Dabo's overwhelmingly positive outlook doesn't mean they hate positivity.

There are plenty of people on this board who are skeptical and fearful that this is going to inflict long-term repercussions and put football season in serious danger. There is nothing wrong with that, just as there is nothing wrong with the voices who are trying to project positivity. There is room for different voices and different perspectives.

Wolken, by the way, was absolutely savaged here and elsewhere when he wrote that they needed to strongly consider not playing the NCAA Tournament. Greg McElroy and Danny Kanell actually went so low as to whip out the "he never played the game" card. They said there was no way any athletes would consider not playing in the tournament because they were "competitors." That foolish position was an insult to the players themselves, because it totally overlooked players who had preexisting conditions, players who were scared of infecting family, etc., and players who simply didn't want to get sick. McElroy was saying he wasn't going to change anything about his life, that he was going to continue to travel and go to NYC and enjoy himself.

In that example, who looks more clueless and less thoughtful in hindsight?

A large cluster of national political pundits were glossing over this thing just a few weeks ago, saying it was a hoax. That had dangerous repercussions because it undoubtedly gave some viewers a false sense of security as they continued their plans for traveling, spring break, and otherwise going about their business the way they always did.

This is all a long-winded way of saying, we need to be careful about saying voices of skepticism are pulling for the virus, or just doing it for clicks, or hating positivity, or applying some sinister motive to their skepticism.

There is room for skeptical voices, too. Now more than ever.

Just my take.

It wasn’t just national pundits. Politicians on both sides, like Pelosi, de Blasio, Trump etc, were downplaying it.

Reactions: padtigers

The fact that Wolken and others don't share Dabo's overwhelmingly positive outlook doesn't mean they hate positivity.

There are plenty of people on this board who are skeptical and fearful that this is going to inflict long-term repercussions and put football season in serious danger. There is nothing wrong with that, just as there is nothing wrong with the voices who are trying to project positivity. There is room for different voices and different perspectives.

Wolken, by the way, was absolutely savaged here and elsewhere when he wrote that they needed to strongly consider not playing the NCAA Tournament. Greg McElroy and Danny Kanell actually went so low as to whip out the "he never played the game" card. They said there was no way any athletes would consider not playing in the tournament because they were "competitors." That foolish position was an insult to the players themselves, because it totally overlooked players who had preexisting conditions, players who were scared of infecting family, etc., and players who simply didn't want to get sick. McElroy was saying he wasn't going to change anything about his life, that he was going to continue to travel and go to NYC and enjoy himself.

A large cluster of national political pundits were glossing over this thing just a few weeks ago, saying it was a hoax. That had dangerous repercussions because it undoubtedly gave some viewers a false sense of security as they continued their plans for traveling, spring break, and otherwise going about their business the way they always did.

This is all a long-winded way of saying, we need to be careful about saying voices of skepticism are pulling for the virus, or just doing it for clicks, or hating positivity, or applying some sinister motive to their skepticism.

Just my take.
i still think they could have gotten creative and played the basketball tournament. The players deserve it, fans or no fans.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hkytiger
CNN_clip.00_00_13_00.Still002.jpg
Sean Penn is the epitome of a crisis.
This is about as fair and objective as possible. It’s hard to get most people on here to understand because of the bias toward Dabo as well as other reasons it’s not worth getting into.

Didn't he order pizza to be delivered to a classroom in Fast Times at Ridgemont High?
Yes. Mr Pizza guy I believe. Double cheese and sausage.

We watched Fast Times as a team before we played UGA in Athens in 1982. Never imagined Jeff Spicoli would evolve in to a National/World crisis expert. Very cool.

Last edited:
Reactions: OCG89
Yes. Mr Pizza guy I believe. Double cheese and sausage.

We watched Fast Times as a team before we played UGA in Athens in 1982. Never imaged Jeff Spicoli would evolve in to a National/World crisis expert. Very cool.
Yeah it is a great movie. How many times did yall rewind to the Phoebe Cates pool scene? Do not lie because we all know it happened.

Reactions: OCG89 and 24TIGER
Is he rooting hard for the virus or is he rooting hard for taking every measure to reduce the spread/impact of the virus?
It’s April. Why would someone move to cancel the season that is 5 months and 25+ 95 degree days with high humidity now? Will there be a vaccine? Will there be antiviral meds? Why not just wait and let’s see as we get closer?

I knew Dabo was gonna get hammered by the media for saying he fully expected to play. Someone even asked him, "you said you've been traveling?? Did you feel safe?!?"

I think as a coach, you've got to prepare as if the season is going to happen. And I don't think positivity equals "insensitive" to the situation.

I think you can be optimistic while also living in reality. Seems like some in the national media, who love sensationalism, can't comprehend that.
You are exactly right. I sure hope he prepares like he fully expects the season to be played

Reactions: 24TIGER
It’s April. Why would someone move to cancel the season that is 5 months and 25+ 95 degree days with high humidity now? Will there be a vaccine? Will there be antiviral meds? Why not just wait and let’s see as we get closer?

Well we know there won’t be a vaccine. That’s why folks like him and Herbstreit have the opinion the season should/will be cancelled or postponed.

Last edited:
its the truth. Liberals are the most angry demographic by far.
This is so incredibly dumb. You can’t just make something up based on what you believe and say “it’s the truth”.

We just all aren’t rooting for a million deaths like you.
Stop it, you lack the ability to formulate your own thoughts and instead parrot Fox News idiots.

You don’t know me and anyone that does will tell you that your comment is the furthest thing from the truth. I wish there hadn’t been ANY deaths from this, it’s incredibly sad that imbeciles like you act like COVID-19’s not a big deal when it clearly is BECAUSE of the loss of life, among other things. So when you say I or anyone else is “rooting” for it, it’s not only wrong, it’s disgusting. If nothing else, it seems like people like you don’t care about those who have died because you’re more concerned with the politics of it all if that’s what all these other idiots keep telling you is what’s important.

You get up in arms about someone taking YOUR God’s “name in vein” yet you make comments like that you hypocrite.

Danny could have made them rewind it!
At that time in Clemson football history, I wouldn’t doubt Coach Ford and his ability to accomplish just about anything. We would have been all for it. But it was Monday afternoon and we needed our “game legs”;)

At that time in Clemson football history, I wouldn’t doubt Coach Ford and his ability to accomplish just about anything. We would have been all for it. But it was Monday afternoon and we needed our “game legs”;)
Gotcha. By the way I watched a cool documentary of the day Reagan was shot. I thought about your stories and DubCast. Pretty remarkable story.

Reactions: 24TIGER
It wasn’t just national pundits. Politicians on both sides, like Pelosi, de Blasio, Trump etc, were downplaying it.

The Fox pundits were the last holdouts on the sinking ship, so to speak. The week of March 13 Hannity was still talking deep-state conspiracy nonsense and another bimbo was saying it was a great time to get out and fly commercially.

I knew Dabo was gonna get hammered by the media for saying he fully expected to play. Someone even asked him, "you said you've been traveling?? Did you feel safe?!?"

I think as a coach, you've got to prepare as if the season is going to happen. And I don't think positivity equals "insensitive" to the situation.

I think you can be optimistic while also living in reality. Seems like some in the national media, who love sensationalism, can't comprehend that.

Is Dabo being hammered by the national media for what he said?

Dabo said he was in Florida for a week and was considering taking his family back down there for Easter. It's perfectly fine to ask him that question.

What?

Economy a bigger problem than the virus?

Look around.
It's already here.

I'm fine with whatever unfolds, and for reasons obvious to some, never to be understood by others.
But, the 'new normal' that comes out of this will in no way resemble the normal left behind.

I have said that the 'old' normal was an inflated house of cards (IMHO).

Remember how 9/11 changed life forever?

Get ready.
Perfect time to try the "peace on Earth, good will to man".....worldwide. The Coronavirus has everyone's attention ......perhaps not China, but they've never been as wrong and under the world microscope as now. There's little chance Genghis Khan comes out of Mongolia to conquer earth. I pray the world will start changing.

I fervently believe that America, prior to the Coronavirus, won't get back to business as usual. If the politicians start playing games again, it's my, and your, responsibility to call your representatives, at ALL levels, and call them out. Get rid of them with your vote. Eyes wide open and watch them now.

Last edited:
Is Dabo being hammered by the national media for what he said?

Dabo said he was in Florida for a week and was considering taking his family back down there for Easter. It's perfectly fine to ask him that question.
I have no clue if he's being hammered. But I could see some media hack running with it...can you believe Dabo? He thinks we are actually playing football. Is he living under a rock?

And my other point is just that, I highly doubt Dabo would be traveling if he didn't feel safe. Seemed like a pretty dumb question.

What do you expect him to say? "No I don't feel very safe, but we are gonna travel anyway!"

I have no clue if he's being hammered. But I could see some media hack running with it...can you believe Dabo? He thinks we are actually playing football. Is he living under a rock?

And my other point is just that, I highly doubt Dabo would be traveling if he didn't feel safe. Seemed like a pretty dumb question.

What do you expect him to say? "No I don't feel very safe, but we are gonna travel anyway!"

There are all sorts of questions that the average person considers to be dumb that actually produce new information.

For instance: That question produced the information that Dabo isn't flying commercially and that he's flying privately.

Again: Given that he's been traveling to and from Florida in a time when few people are traveling, it's a totally fair and topical question.

There are all sorts of questions that the average person considers to be dumb that actually produce new information.

For instance: That question produced the information that Dabo isn't flying commercially and that he's flying privately.

Again: Given that he's been traveling to and from Florida in a time when few people are traveling, it's a totally fair and topical question.
Yeah I guess it's different with Dabo also than maybe Saban. Dabo gives you so much good stuff.

When I heard the question, I was just like, obviously he's not going to put his family at risk, so I assume he feels safe.

Last edited:
The Fox pundits were the last holdouts on the sinking ship, so to speak. The week of March 13 Hannity was still talking deep-state conspiracy nonsense and another bimbo was saying it was a great time to get out and fly commercially.

@Larry_Williams didn’t you and your band play a gig in Charleston the Friday AFTER the basketball tournaments were cancelled? Maybe I’m misremembering your post. Everyone’s thoughts and actions are much different now than they were in the first week of March.

Reactions: Earle36
@Larry_Williams didn’t you and your band play a gig in Charleston the Friday AFTER the basketball tournaments were cancelled? Maybe I’m misremembering your post. Everyone’s thoughts and actions are much different now than they were in the first week of March.

Yep, we sure did. As I have said, I had a bad feeling about it and it wasn't smart and I regretted doing it after the fact. Luckily, three weeks later none of us have gotten sick so we're out of the woods on that front. But our thinking at the time was to honor our commitment.

I sure as hell wasn't broadcasting to the world that it wasn't a big deal and was being exaggerated. There's a pretty big difference there.

Yep, we sure did. As I have said, I had a bad feeling about it and it wasn't smart and I regretted doing it after the fact. Luckily, three weeks later none of us have gotten sick so we're out of the woods on that front. But our thinking at the time was to honor our commitment.

I sure as hell wasn't broadcasting to the world that it wasn't a big deal and was being exaggerated. There's a pretty big difference there.

We went out to dinner for a friend’s 50th birthday that same Friday night. Knowing what we know now, we would not have gone. Things changed so quickly that week.

We went out to dinner for a friend’s 50th birthday that same Friday night. Knowing what we know now, we would not have gone. Things changed so quickly that week.

Right. A lot of folks went out to dinner and such that weekend, knowing it was probably the last time they were going to be able to do it for a while (and thinking circumstances weren't yet truly dangerous).

The evidence was in by that point: This was going to be a major deal.

Don’t know how many times that it has to be said. 99% of what Dabo says to the media is not for the general public. It’s for the people in his world. The team, the coaches, the recruits and the fans for the most part. He is just trying to do his part to keep hopes up. People are getting upset about him saying this like he has a say in whether or not there will be college football. It’s like people getting all bent out of shape over a reporter asking Hilinski what his goal was for the year and he answered, “win a championship”, and then everyone loses their minds over the answer. It’s straight from the “What do you want him to say” file!!

Well we know there won’t be a vaccine. That’s why folks like him and Herbstreit have the opinion the season should/will be cancelled or postponed.
That’s a fine opinion. Mine is to be patient and let’s see what transpires over the next few months before rushing to judgement But, for all that feel its necessary to make an opinion now, by all means, fire away and opine.

Just my take.
This is what Dan said in response yesterday:

Dabo's theory is based on a number of evidence-free assertions, but hey, Dabo is Dabo. I'm not living on that same planet he is.

What part of that comes off as angry or offended?

Is there something else Dan said in response to Dabo that I've missed?
wolken is consistently awful. Can’t stand him.

Reactions: Earle36
This is so incredibly dumb. You can’t just make something up based on what you believe and say “it’s the truth”.

Stop it, you lack the ability to formulate your own thoughts and instead parrot Fox News idiots.

You don’t know me and anyone that does will tell you that your comment is the furthest thing from the truth. I wish there hadn’t been ANY deaths from this, it’s incredibly sad that imbeciles like you act like COVID-19’s not a big deal when it clearly is BECAUSE of the loss of life, among other things. So when you say I or anyone else is “rooting” for it, it’s not only wrong, it’s disgusting. If nothing else, it seems like people like you don’t care about those who have died because you’re more concerned with the politics of it all if that’s what all these other idiots keep telling you is what’s important.

You get up in arms about someone taking YOUR God’s “name in vein” yet you make comments like that you hypocrite.
Screw off Ddot!
You’re hugeee loser. There’s a reason that’s Fox’s ratings dwarf any other news station. They’re not perfect and do have some deep state tendencies, but they kill your news networks.

You just genuinely replied to the most blatant troll on this board. He’s not the only dummy. Just sayin...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT