ADVERTISEMENT

Dan Wolken

The Fox pundits were the last holdouts on the sinking ship, so to speak. The week of March 13 Hannity was still talking deep-state conspiracy nonsense and another bimbo was saying it was a great time to get out and fly commercially.
For every time you can point out an inaccuracy or lie from a Fox employee, I can point 5 from CNN or MSNBC. That’s in regards to the virus, failed impeachment, Joe Biden and his son being paid off, the Russia hoax and fraudulent search warrants, illegal activity by the FBI in regards to the previous comment, The Democratic Party fixing the nomination for Hillary, CNN giving her questions before a debate, Loretta Lynch meeting Bill on the tarmac, Obama giving Iran a billion in cash, letting Syria gas their people and backing down about the red line, you can keep your Doctor if you want to, and letting ISIS- the JV team as he called it- take over the Middle East. I mean the list could go on for ever. Fox is the gold standard compared to these media imposters who are really just Democratic Party operatives. Larry, this is a ridiculous comment by you IMO, and definitely the pot calling the kettle black.

Yes. Mr Pizza guy I believe. Double cheese and sausage.

We watched Fast Times as a team before we played UGA in Athens in 1982. Never imagined Jeff Spicoli would evolve in to a National/World crisis expert. Very cool.
One of funniest movies I saw in the 80s. Truly a classic.

Reactions: 24TIGER

Besides guys, what is Dan big on?
This is why I stopped following him months ago. Has nothing to do with his thoughts on Clemson or anything. It was him filling my Twitter timeline up with thoughts from his couch he should have said out loud to the empty room rather than posted. He either has no friends, no significant other or thinks everyone wants to hear his every last thought on everything. Probably all 3. He also would go into shot by shot mode with tweets on random tennis matches.

Reactions: OculusTiger
For every time you can point out an inaccuracy or lie from a Fox employee, I can point 5 from CNN or MSNBC. That’s in regards to the virus, failed impeachment, Joe Biden and his son being paid off, the Russia hoax and fraudulent search warrants, illegal activity by the FBI in regards to the previous comment, The Democratic Party fixing the nomination for Hillary, CNN giving her questions before a debate, Loretta Lynch meeting Bill on the tarmac, Obama giving Iran a billion in cash, letting Syria gas their people and backing down about the red line, you can keep your Doctor if you want to, and letting ISIS- the JV team as he called it- take over the Middle East. I mean the list could go on for ever. Fox is the gold standard compared to these media imposters who are really just Democratic Party operatives. Larry, this is a ridiculous comment by you IMO, and definitely the pot calling the kettle black.

I'm referring to this issue and this issue only.

You are totally free to keep score, though. I have zero interest in it.

Have a good one.

The Fox pundits were the last holdouts on the sinking ship, so to speak. The week of March 13 Hannity was still talking deep-state conspiracy nonsense and another bimbo was saying it was a great time to get out and fly commercially.

Hannity...smh. Has there ever been a more biased guy on TV. I don’t count him.

Reactions: TheCheif
This is what Dan said in response yesterday:

Dabo's theory is based on a number of evidence-free assertions, but hey, Dabo is Dabo. I'm not living on that same planet he is.

What part of that comes off as angry or offended?

Is there something else Dan said in response to Dabo that I've missed?

The point is Dabo doesn't have a theory. He is preparing for everything being full go from Day 1 of August camp. Why wouldn't he? Why wouldn't he impart that message to his team, so no one is slacking off. What would be worse? Being ready for everything to start on time and it doesn't or not being ready and everything does start on time? That's what the message appears to be to me, but for some reason to everyone else comes off as him down playing the virus or being a fool.

And Wolken may not be offended or angry, but his comment comes off as a backhanded compliment or jab.

He's probably right....doesn't mean I am ready to cancel the football season 4 months out.

That’s fine. It’s ok to have that opinion. It’s also ok to have the opinion that we shouldn’t be having gatherings with 10s of thousands of people before a vaccine is available.

Reactions: TigerLion06
wolken is consistently awful. Can’t stand him.
The point is Dabo doesn't have a theory. He is preparing for everything being full go from Day 1 of August camp. Why wouldn't he? Why wouldn't he impart that message to his team, so no one is slacking off. What would be worse? Being ready for everything to start on time and it doesn't or not being ready and everything does start on time? That's what the message appears to be to me, but for some reason to everyone else comes off as him down playing the virus or being a fool.

And Wolken may not be offended or angry, but his comment comes off as a backhanded compliment or jab.

It comes off as him saying he doesn't share Dabo's optimism.

It's OK. Not everyone is going to be in lockstep with your head coach.

Reactions: TigerLion06
That’s fine. It’s ok to have that opinion. It’s also ok to have the opinion that we shouldn’t be having gatherings with 10s of thousands of people before a vaccine is available.
For sure. Since it will be a year to 18 months before the vaccine you ready to cancel the final four for 2021 and spring practice next year too?

I won't argue that. We're in a melluva hess.

In regards to football only - I'm skeptical is all I'm saying.

Nothing wrong with being skeptical. If someone reads Dabo's thoughts and says, "well, you know, I'm not so sure he's right." then that's fine.

But people are railing Dabo for being, well, Dabo. The man has made a living out of beating the odds and being optimistic.

And while I don't think anyone is rooting for the virus, I do think Wolken and others root against Dabo. As I said in another thread Dabo did the unforgivable - he upset their apple cart by succeeding when everyone thought he would fail.

Clemson fans who thought that were thrilled to be wrong. I think the national sports media is still pissed about it. Dabo blew up their ideal picture of a great football coach.

The funniest part is that if we don't have sports, there is no reason for Wolken, Dodd, etc to be employed. So they should be rooting FOR Dabo to be right.

Nothing wrong with being skeptical.

But people are railing Dabo for being, well, Dabo. The man has made a living out of beating the odds and being optimistic.

And while I don't think anyone is rooting for the virus, I do think Wolken and others root against Dabo. As I said in another thread Dabo did the unforgivable - he upset their apple cart by succeeding when everyone thought he would fail.

Clemson fans who thought that were thrilled to be wrong. I think the national sports media is still pissed about it. Dabo blew up their ideal picture of a great football coach.

Wolken was one of the first in the national media to jump aboard the Dabo train back in 2013-14.

Maybe Wolken, more recently, has been critical of Dabo more often. But saying Wolken is "pissed" because Dabo started winning big just does not comport with the evidence.

Wolken was one of the first in the national media to jump aboard the Dabo train back in 2013-14.

Maybe Wolken, more recently, has been critical of Dabo more often. But saying Wolken is "pissed" because Dabo started winning big just does not comport with the evidence.

Could be - I don't pay him that much attention (or any other national sports writers). But honestly that's still pretty late to the game. Clemson was winning big in 2013-2014.

But I meant more of the general national sports media.

And let's not lose something in this - we don't KNOW that we won't have football. If Dabo goes out and says we won't, what does that do to those 100+ athletes who are training at home, plus the coaches and support staff?

For sure. Since it will be a year to 18 months before the vaccine you ready to cancel the final four for 2021 and spring practice next year too?

Your poor attempt at sarcasm aside, there’s no need to make those types of decisions until we get closer to 2021.

Dabo got in trouble for adding the flair. It's gonna get the clicks.

I think he said in the same speech that he can't be allowed to view it any other way. He's paid to be a football coach so that's what he's going to do. I agree 100%.

Now Muschamp just said the same thing, but without the flair. Pretty much the only difference in this being news or not.

I don't think Wolken is in the wrong here for throwing some shade on what Dabo should've saved for the locker room, but instead gave everyone a headline.

With all that said I hope Dabo never changes his openness.

I think saying that someone is living on a different planet is a bit of a jab. However I still think it’s ok. I read Wolken for a number of years and he started to wear thin on me so I unfollowed him. I had forgotten I was a subscriber to The Athletic until I recently started checking Twitter more and realized that I wasn’t using my subscription so I cancelled it. I didn’t feel the need to complain to anyone or respond to them hatefully. If you don’t enjoy someone’s content or aren’t using it then don’t consume it.

Reactions: stigers91

Sure it is okay. I will not lose sleep over anyones opinion. To each their own.

We see it different. You can have a differing opinions without taking jabs. That's not directed at you.

Dabo got in trouble for adding the flair. It's gonna get the clicks.

I think he said in the same speech that he can't be allowed to view it any other way. He's paid to be a football coach so that's what he's going to do. I agree 100%.

Now Muschamp just said the same thing, but without the flair. Pretty much the only difference in this being news or not.

I don't think Wolken is in the wrong here for throwing some shade on what Dabo should've saved for the locker room, but instead gave everyone a headline.

With all that said I hope Dabo never changes his openness.

Well that and nobody GAF about South Carolina football, on a national scale at least.

Reactions: insomniactiger
Not arguing against you here, just providing some perspective:

The fact that Wolken and others don't share Dabo's overwhelmingly positive outlook doesn't mean they hate positivity.

There are plenty of people on this board who are skeptical and fearful that this is going to inflict long-term repercussions and put football season in serious danger. There is nothing wrong with that, just as there is nothing wrong with the voices who are trying to project positivity. There is room for different voices and different perspectives.

Wolken, by the way, was absolutely savaged here and elsewhere when he wrote that they needed to strongly consider not playing the NCAA Tournament. Greg McElroy and Danny Kanell actually went so low as to whip out the "he never played the game" card. They said there was no way any athletes would consider not playing in the tournament because they were "competitors." That foolish position was an insult to the players themselves, because it totally overlooked players who had preexisting conditions, players who were scared of infecting family, etc., and players who simply didn't want to get sick. McElroy was saying he wasn't going to change anything about his life, that he was going to continue to travel and go to NYC and enjoy himself.

In that example, who looks more clueless and less thoughtful in hindsight?

A large cluster of national political pundits were glossing over this thing just a few weeks ago, saying it was a hoax. That had dangerous repercussions because it undoubtedly gave some viewers a false sense of security as they continued their plans for traveling, spring break, and otherwise going about their business the way they always did.

This is all a long-winded way of saying, we need to be careful about saying voices of skepticism are pulling for the virus, or just doing it for clicks, or hating positivity, or applying some sinister motive to their skepticism.

There is room for skeptical voices, too. Now more than ever.

Just my take.

Thank you so much for this. People just want to attack others in my opinion. I don't share Dabo's optimism because I hadn't seen evidence to support his optimism but to me every single coach in America should totally express the same optimism for the sake of their athletes who they are asking to shape in shape in the meantime.

In this case you can prepare for the worst by following what our leaders say and prepare for the best by working out as if everything will be fine. The alternative is we come up with a solution and you're fat and out of shape. Plus I'm not counting out the season until they say it's official if I'm a coach/player.

Final point. This rooting for the vrius thing smells of politics. Even if I'm 100% a pessimist that doesn't mean I'm rooting for that bad thing to happen it means that's what I think will happen. If my Tigers under Ken Hatfield had to play against the Patriots at their peak I'm picking the Patriots to win. Doesn't mean I'm rooting for them. That's just what I thinks gonna happen. Some people are sick man.

If you depend on fox r CNN 4 the truth,good luck. Your time would be better spent elsewhere, anywhere.

Not shocked that He killed Dabo today for be optimistic. To Dan’s credit, he was one of the 1st on canceling sports events, but I swear this dude is rooting hard for the virus. We should all take it serious, but I don’t get the hate that comes with someone being positive.
But this dude Wolken would buy a Nike Covid-19 hoodie.
Dan Wolken is a Never Trumper and if you read his tweets you will see that all of his opinions are through that lense. He is neither prescient nor particularly wise. He is amazingly consistent in his hot takes and seems to be reveling in blasting the current administration during this crisis. Oh, and before. He has no credibility with me and hasn’t for some time. He engages in jackassery often.

Dan Wolken is a Never Trumper and if you read his tweets you will see that all of his opinions are through that lense. He is neither prescient nor particularly wise. He is amazingly consistent in his hot takes and seems to be reveling in blasting the current administration during this crisis. Oh, and before. He has no credibility with me and hasn’t for some time. He engages in jackassery often.

he is absolutely happy with the current situation. If you doubt that then I don’t know what to tell you.

Another super hot take by a media hack. What is the matter with this portion of the population?

i own a small business that supports a hospital and countless medical facilities. We are open and considered essential. We feel it is our obligation to stay open when so many people are risking so much more on the front lines. I am putting myself and way more people at risk than dabo is flying on a jet to a home of his in Florida. It’s amazing this even has traction

Is that really an outrageous question?
That in and of itself is not outrageous, it's just that his entire body of work is criticizing Universities and anyone else that has any positive stance on returning to normalcy. And many times he cherry picks responses from those entities to fit his narrative.

That in and of itself is not outrageous, it's just that his entire body of work is criticizing Universities and anyone else that has any positive stance on returning to normalcy. And many times he cherry picks responses from those entities to fit his narrative.

I can't give an opinion on his takes in general because I don't read much of them.

I can't give an opinion on his takes in general because I don't read much of them.
Fair enough. I follow him on Twitter because he was once a decent source of information. However, he's really gone off the deep end with this pandemic and it's pretty clear he refuses to consider any opinion on the matter that doesn't fit what he believes.

Reactions: townsem
He's in a hole with egg on his face now that CFB is starting back and can't stop digging. He will be scouring the news feed waiting for a player to catch covid so he can show he was right.

What if he turns out to be right?

Unfortunately, some people will be more pissed that Wolken was right, never mind that the "pandemic" has reared its ugly head again.

And no I'm not saying Covid-19 will flare-up again, but it could.

Is that really an outrageous question?

I kinda think it definitely is. Virtually no one is dying or getting really sick in this age range no matter your weight or other conditions. Dan is for sure trying to incite fear and be contrarian to get hits. I don’t see how you can see it any other way.

Dan must be a lot different in person cause I see a lot of media defend him a lot. It’s pretty obvious he’s just trying to troll and get people riled up with most things he writes.

What if he turns out to be right?

Unfortunately, some people will be more pissed that Wolken was right, never mind that the "pandemic" has reared its ugly head again.

And no I'm not saying Covid-19 will flare-up again, but it could.

I absolutely think it will "rear its ugly head again.". I think it will be with us for a long time. Don't think the flu or cancer is going anywhere anytime soon, either. But, now that we have some data to ponder, let's not act like it's the ebola virus

I absolutely think it will "rear its ugly head again.". I think it will be with us for a long time. Don't think the flu or cancer is going anywhere anytime soon, either. But, now that we have some data to ponder, let's not act like it's the ebola virus

That’s the side I’m on like many others. The beginning purpose was to make sure hospitals don’t get overcrowded. Well they haven’t and the goalposts moved. No one wants anyone to die of anything but we have to live life and open up businesses so people aren’t having to rely on the government.

Be cautious, keep up hygiene etc. but there may never Be a good vaccine. Can’t just do this forever

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT