ADVERTISEMENT

Dan Wolken

Ltb378

Valles Marineris
Gold Member
Oct 11, 2017
Weddington NC
Not shocked that He killed Dabo today for be optimistic. To Dan’s credit, he was one of the 1st on canceling sports events, but I swear this dude is rooting hard for the virus. We should all take it serious, but I don’t get the hate that comes with someone being positive.
But this dude Wolken would buy a Nike Covid-19 hoodie.

Not shocked that He killed Dabo today for be optimistic. To Dan’s credit, he was one of the 1st on canceling sports events, but I swear this dude is rooting hard for the virus. We should all take it serious, but I don’t get the hate that comes with someone being positive.

He’s rooting hard for the virus?

No.

Bet he votes for Bernie Sanders

Is he rooting hard for the virus or is he rooting hard for taking every measure to reduce the spread/impact of the virus?

I’ve been amazed how many people have become an expert on COVID-19. Dan Wolken and some of the national guys for The Athletic have been the worst. Listening to them about the pandemic would be the equivalent of me reaching out to Drs Fauci/Birk to get their thoughts on the UCLA secondary. I’ve been a long term The Athletic subscriber even though I never read any articles. Their constant hot takes through this was enough for me to reset my forgotten password and unsubscribe

I’ve been amazed how many people have become an expert on COVID-19. Dan Wolken and some of the national guys for The Athletic have been the worst. Listening to them about the pandemic would be the equivalent of me reaching out to Drs Fauci/Birk to get their thoughts on the UCLA secondary. I’ve been a long term The Athletic subscriber even though I never read any articles. Their constant hot takes through this was enough for me to reset my forgotten password and unsubscribe

CNN_clip.00_00_13_00.Still002.jpg

I don't understand why so many people hate positivity. Being aware and cautious doesn't mean that you can not be positive.

It is nothing new for sports writers to not understand this side of Dabo.....the man isn't going to be down. Fortunately more see that as good than bad these days.

Not arguing against you here, just providing some perspective:

The fact that Wolken and others don't share Dabo's overwhelmingly positive outlook doesn't mean they hate positivity.

There are plenty of people on this board who are skeptical and fearful that this is going to inflict long-term repercussions and put football season in serious danger. There is nothing wrong with that, just as there is nothing wrong with the voices who are trying to project positivity. There is room for different voices and different perspectives.

Wolken, by the way, was absolutely savaged here and elsewhere when he wrote that they needed to strongly consider not playing the NCAA Tournament. Greg McElroy and Danny Kanell actually went so low as to whip out the "he never played the game" card. They said there was no way any athletes would consider not playing in the tournament because they were "competitors." That foolish position was an insult to the players themselves, because it totally overlooked players who had preexisting conditions, players who were scared of infecting family, etc., and players who simply didn't want to get sick. McElroy was saying he wasn't going to change anything about his life, that he was going to continue to travel and go to NYC and enjoy himself.

In that example, who looks more clueless and less thoughtful in hindsight?

A large cluster of national political pundits were glossing over this thing just a few weeks ago, saying it was a hoax. That had dangerous repercussions because it undoubtedly gave some viewers a false sense of security as they continued their plans for traveling, spring break, and otherwise going about their business the way they always did.

This is all a long-winded way of saying, we need to be careful about saying voices of skepticism are pulling for the virus, or just doing it for clicks, or hating positivity, or applying some sinister motive to their skepticism.

There is room for skeptical voices, too. Now more than ever.

Just my take.

I think they are rooting for higher unemployment numbers so that Trump will now own a less than stellar economy. The longer this lasts the longer CNN, MSNBC, Fox et al will have jobs because of the great ratings. These Federal officials are not always right. A questioning attitude is best for the country and tough questions asked of these officials is imperative. Do we have to shut down furniture stores for two months? You have to question those type decisions. We close all the Mom and Pops will we be left with Amazon and Wal-Mart? Got to be asked.

Reactions: tigerworx

The fact that Wolken and others don't share Dabo's overwhelmingly positive outlook doesn't mean they hate positivity.

There are plenty of people on this board who are skeptical and fearful that this is going to inflict long-term repercussions and put football season in serious danger. There is nothing wrong with that, just as there is nothing wrong with the voices who are trying to project positivity. There is room for different voices and different perspectives.

Wolken, by the way, was absolutely savaged here and elsewhere when he wrote that they needed to strongly consider not playing the NCAA Tournament. Greg McElroy and Danny Kanell actually went so low as to whip out the "he never played the game" card. They said there was no way any athletes would consider not playing in the tournament because they were "competitors." That foolish position was an insult to the players themselves, because it totally overlooked players who had preexisting conditions, players who were scared of infecting family, etc., and players who simply didn't want to get sick. McElroy was saying he wasn't going to change anything about his life, that he was going to continue to travel and go to NYC and enjoy himself.

A large cluster of national political pundits were glossing over this thing just a few weeks ago, saying it was a hoax. That had dangerous repercussions because it undoubtedly gave some viewers a false sense of security as they continued their plans for traveling, spring break, and otherwise going about their business the way they always did.

This is all a long-winded way of saying, we need to be careful about saying voices of skepticism are pulling for the virus, or just doing it for clicks, or hating positivity, or applying some sinister motive to their skepticism.

Just my take.
Who looks more clueless? We do not know that answer yet. I do not know. Wolken does not know. Fauci does not know. It all remains to be seen and its perfectly fine to question your assumption.

Just my take.
Excellent take as usual, Larry.

Who looks more clueless? We do not know that answer yet. I do not know. Wolken does not know. Fauci does not know. It all remains to be seen and its perfectly fine to question your assumption.

We do know the answer on who looks more clueless in the Wolken vs. Kanell/McElroy debate. That's what I was referring to.

I'd say NY running out of body bags and morgue space and using 48+ refrigerated make-shift morgue trucks is clearly and indication that this is not a hypothetical situation. We jumped that shark weeks ago.

I absolutely want us to play. I have 6 season tickets. But pragmatism in light of clearly-viewable evidence is warranted.

Everything has to go absolutely perfect for there to be a season: hot weather has to reduce it (not proven), states have to fully lock down now (have not), cases have to stop so as to quit overwhelming Heath care system (will not until mandatory lock downs everywhere), national guard can't be presently engaged, vaccine available (even if we have a good one now, it'll take min 12 most to prove it and scale up). Etc

More likely than not we won't have a season. Nothing wrong with skeptics. But, it's absolutely awesome that Dabo is providing positivity and hope.

I'd say NY running out of body bags and morgue space and using 48+ refrigerated make-shift morgue trucks is clearly and indication that this is not a hypothetical situation. We jumped that shark weeks ago.

I absolutely want us to play. I have 6 season tickets. But pragmatism in light of clearly-viewable evidence is warranted.

Everything has to go absolutely perfect for there to be a season: hot weather has to reduce it (not proven), states have to fully lock down now (have not), cases have to stop so as to quit overwhelming Heath care system (will not until mandatory lock downs everywhere), national guard can't be presently engaged, vaccine available (even if we have a good one now, it'll take min 12 most to prove it and scale up). Etc

More likely than not we won't have a season. Nothing wrong with skeptics. But, it's absolutely awesome that Dabo is providing positivity and hope.
If this thing goes so far as to canceling football season, we will have bigger problems as a country than just a virus...

Just my take.
Has McElroy answered for that ridiculous take?

Has McElroy answered for that ridiculous take?

I have no idea. Haven't really listened since.

We will all remember every detail of that week for as long as we live.

One of those details for me is sitting in my car in my driveway for five minutes after they said it, trying to process just how colossally wrong they were. These are two smart dudes and they were acting like spoiled children.

Just my take.

@Larry_Williams is spot on. There has been no monopoly on cluelessness through this crisis. It’s come from all sides, corners and quadrants.

Wolken is really negative and snarky in the best of times. Would expect that to be worse now. With no sports these guys basically have nothing to do except browse twitter and contemplate their doom.

Most national sports writers strike me as super cynical and negative to begin with, and as a result they really get a stew going.

I get not thinking this is going to go well(I agree there), but getting angry or offended by positivity in the face of Coronavirus seems a little ridiculous.

I think people like Wolken initially get into sports journalism because they love sports, but once covering sports becomes their career this all becomes a job, not something fun, and it burns them out hard.

They lose the joy and love and write about sports the way folks who hate their jobs would write about the company that employs them.

Wolken is really negative and snarky in the best of times. Would expect that to be worse now. With no sports these guys basically have nothing to do except browse twitter and contemplate their doom.

Most national sports writers strike me as super cynical and negative to begin with, and as a result they really get a stew going.

I get not thinking this is going to go well(I agree there), but getting angry or offended by positivity in the face of Coronavirus seems a little ridiculous.

I think people like Wolken initially get into sports journalism because they love sports, but once covering sports becomes their career this all becomes a job, not something fun, and it burns them out hard.

They lose the joy and love and write about sports the way folks who hate their jobs would write about the company that employs them.

This is what Dan said in response yesterday:

Dabo's theory is based on a number of evidence-free assertions, but hey, Dabo is Dabo. I'm not living on that same planet he is.

What part of that comes off as angry or offended?

Is there something else Dan said in response to Dabo that I've missed?

Just my take.
Fair take.

My point was to lean more on the fact that bo one really expects Dabo to be anything other than positive right? That’s just him.

I don’t think people in general chose to be negative. It’s just feels that way when all we hear is the bad.

I think we would all agree that we hope Dabo is right....because if we are watching football this fall, it will be because we’ve made some real progress!

I think they are rooting for higher unemployment numbers so that Trump will now own a less than stellar economy. The longer this lasts the longer CNN, MSNBC, Fox et al will have jobs because of the great ratings. These Federal officials are not always right. A questioning attitude is best for the country and tough questions asked of these officials is imperative. Do we have to shut down furniture stores for two months? You have to question those type decisions. We close all the Mom and Pops will we be left with Amazon and Wal-Mart? Got to be asked.
Its always fair to question any type of decision. But, those questions need to be fair and one has to be willing to accept the preponderance of information they get back and what it is telling them. You can’t just seek the information, no matter how scant, that supports the decision you wish were the reality. All decisions and actions taken in a rapidly evolving crisis like this one are not perfect. This crisis will be no different. Mistakes will be made. I don’t hold people accountable for making mistakes when they are making decisions based on the best information available at the time and taking the best course of action based on the best information. Best does not mean perfect. I think the best information available right now points to the need for people to social distance in an extreme way, a way unimaginable to us just 3 months ago.

Is the economy being damaged by this crisis? Yes. Do I think there are some sick and deranged people in this world who are happy to see millions lose their hard earned money and be damaged financially and lives lost if that means Donald Trump looks bad as a result? Unfortunately, yes, we probably do have a minuscule number of people among 350 million who are extremely bad and deranged. We have serial killers out there too, but I don’t think large segments of the media or democrats are serial killers either. Do I think your assertion is representative of even 1% of people in this country, on any side of the political isle? No. Trying to make this tiny fraction of lunatics out to be representative of any larger group of people in this country is self serving for purposes of supporting an alternative course of action that the abundance of information we have at this time does not support. Again, we need to take the best action we can based on the best info available at this time.

I don’t think any official is taking the actions they are taking, resulting in the shut down of significant segments of our economy, to hurt Trump. Donald Trump himself even rejects that theory because he is sharing the same stats and encouraging the same actions the media is pushing. He has even praised the press and their coverage as a whole several times in the last week. That is encouraging. I wish everyone could get on the same page and row in the same direction so we could get through this as quickly as possible. There is no guarantee that it is the perfect solution, but it is the best solution we have based on the best information we have at this time.

Dan is a first class douchebag. This shouldn’t surprise anyone and it’s clear he has a political agenda with all of his writing, not just about covid. He is very angry about life like most liberals and wants to suck happiness and fun out of most things. Ive never seen him write positive articles

Just my take.
It’s more than that if you didn’t know better just reading his stuff you assume he really hopes everything is shut down for eternity . Also he has to be most terrified human of this on the planet .. I’ve i was that afraid of anything I eat a bullet

@Larry_Williams I respect your opinion on very highly on any subject. But when it comes to Dan Wolken he always seems to have an ax to grind with Dabo. I am not in the group thinking Dan is cheering on the virus BUT I do think he takes delight in taking jabs at Dabo any chance he can. Dan's history, in regards to Dabo, gives most of us a sour taste when he tweets/writes anything on Clemson or Dabo. Dan has ran with the "social media ban" for years even after numerous players replied to him saying it was a team vote. Yet he continues his shade throwing at Dabo. Trust me the Clemson fan base's dislike for Dan Wolken was there long before his most recent Dabo hit piece was produced.

Dan is a first class douchebag. This shouldn’t surprise anyone and it’s clear he has a political agenda with all of his writing, not just about covid. He is very angry about life like most liberals and wants to suck happiness and fun out of most things. Ive never seen him write positive articles

I agree that he is as well. The media overall has changed for the worse the past 6-8 years.

It’s more than that if you didn’t know better just reading his stuff you assume he really hopes everything is shut down for eternity . Also he has to be most terrified human of this on the planet .. I’ve i was that afraid of anything I eat a bullet
This is who I think of when I think of Dan Wolken
Eeyore_3-615x461.jpg

Reactions: OCG89
I agree that he is as well. The media overall has changed for the worse the past 6-8 years.

It’s awful. They can sit behind a desk in their house and tweet all day as their job. The entire tone of the media is condescending at a national level. Not all but a good majority of sports follows are that way. Dodd, Forde, Peter king, wolken, etc. all brutal opinions and totally out of touch with reality

Fair take.

My point was to lean more on the fact that bo one really expects Dabo to be anything other than positive right? That’s just him.

I don’t think people in general chose to be negative. It’s just feels that way when all we hear is the bad.

I think we would all agree that we hope Dabo is right....because if we are watching football this fall, it will be because we’ve made some real progress!

I hear ya!

If this thing goes so far as to canceling football season, we will have bigger problems as a country than just a virus...
That's my take as well. I've said from the beginning, while I take the virus seriously as I can, I'm terrified of the economic repercussions that are coming our way. What is it, 99% of all businesses in this country would be considered small business? Lot of those arent gonna be able to ride this storm even with the bailouts....

What?

Economy a bigger problem than the virus?

Look around.
It's already here.

I'm fine with whatever unfolds, and for reasons obvious to some, never to be understood by others.
But, the 'new normal' that comes out of this will in no way resemble the normal left behind.

I have said that the 'old' normal was an inflated house of cards (IMHO).

Remember how 9/11 changed life forever?

Get ready.

Just my take.

I knew Dabo was gonna get hammered by the media for saying he fully expected to play. Someone even asked him, "you said you've been traveling?? Did you feel safe?!?"

I think as a coach, you've got to prepare as if the season is going to happen. And I don't think positivity equals "insensitive" to the situation.

I think you can be optimistic while also living in reality. Seems like some in the national media, who love sensationalism, can't comprehend that.

Just my take.
This is about as fair and objective as possible. It’s hard to get most people on here to understand because of the bias toward Dabo as well as other reasons it’s not worth getting into.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT