ADVERTISEMENT

Federal judge rules Biden's border policies illegal, like a flashing 'Come In, We're Open' sign

TigerGrowls

Woodrush
Gold Member
Dec 21, 2001
So whats the remedy here? Will the Biden admin thumb their nose and ignore this? I would guess they will appeal it of course to string it out. We all know this has been illegal.

In a scathing 109-page opinion, U.S. District Judge T. Kent Wetherell ruled the Biden administration’s “catch-and-release” policy is unlawful and “due to be vacated.”

By The Center Square Staff
By Bethany Blankley
Updated: March 8, 2023 - 8:26pm
Afederal judge in Florida handed state Attorney General Ashley Moody a major win on Wednesday in her lawsuit filed against the Biden administration over its “catch and release” policy, releasing foreign nationals in the country illegally into the U.S. instead of deporting them.
Moody argued since she filed the lawsuit in March 2021 that the program is illegal. On Wednesday, a federal judge agreed.
In a scathing 109-page opinion, U.S. District Judge T. Kent Wetherell for the Northern District of Florida Pensacola Division ruled the Biden administration’s “catch-and-release” policy is unlawful and “due to be vacated.” He also denied the administration’s motion for summary judgment, vacated the administration’s “Parole+ATD” Policy under the Administrative Procedures Act, and gave the administration seven days to seek appellate review and comply with federal law and his ruling.
Wetherell, of the U.S. District Court of the Northern District of Florida, ruled, “The Court finds in favor of Florida because, as detailed below, the evidence establishes that Defendants have effectively turned the Southwest Border into a meaningless line in the sand and little more than a speedbump for aliens flooding into the country by prioritizing ‘alternatives to detention’ over actual detention and by releasing more than a million aliens into the country – on ‘parole’ or pursuant to the exercise of ‘prosecutorial discretion’ under a wholly inapplicable statute – without even initiating removal proceedings.”
The judge also said of the administration’s policies: “Collectively, these actions were akin to posting a flashing ‘Come In, We’re Open’ sign on the southern border. The unprecedented ‘surge’ of aliens that started arriving at the Southwest Border almost immediately after President Biden took office and that has continued unabated over the past two years was a predictable consequence of these actions. …
“Thus, like a child who kills his parents and then seeks pity for being an orphan, it is hard to take Defendants’ claim that they had to release more aliens into the country because of limited detention capacity seriously when they have elected not to use one of the tools provided by Congress in §1225(b)(2)(C) and they have continued to ask for less detention capacity in furtherance of their prioritization of ‘alternatives to detention’ over actual detention.”
Moody said the ruling confirms what she has been saying for two years.
“Today’s ruling affirms what we have known all along, President Biden is responsible for the border crisis and his unlawful immigration policies make this country less safe,” Moody said. “A federal judge is now ordering Biden to follow the law, and his administration should immediately begin securing the border to protect the American people.”
Throughout the course of litigation, various Biden administration policies were exposed. Last August, in one deposition, U.S. Border Patrol Chief Raul Ortiz testified the southern border was “currently in a crisis” as a result of Biden administration policies. By September, Florida made public a memo issued by Ortiz instructing agents to release noncitizens into the U.S. en masse because there wouldn’t be enough space to detain them.
Another deposition of another top federal official revealed that that ICE agents were removing seven times fewer people who entered the U.S. illegally in the past year than the agency did 10 years ago. ICE was also only detaining about half the number of people it did during the Trump administration and 40% less the number of people who entered the U.S. illegally than it did during a 2019 border surge, according to the testimony.
Another piece of evidence released by Moody related to Biden administration policies repealing processing pathways of the MPP, ACA and PACR, which impacted Border Patrol agents’ ability to expeditiously process and remove illegal foreign nationals. Restrictions were also put in place regarding detention that forced agents to release hundreds of thousands of foreign nationals into the U.S. instead of deporting them.
The case went to trial in January and lasted one week. On the first day, Moody’s legal team presented “bombshell evidence that the federal government wrongfully withheld until just before the trial” showing the administration’s plan to release people en masse into the U.S.
The ruling comes as U.S. Customs and Border Protection Miami Sector reported a 500% increase in apprehensions in fiscal 2022 compared to fiscal 2021, and as U.S. Coast Guard crews off the coast of Florida are on track to break last year’s apprehension records.
In January, Gov. Ron DeSantis declared a state of emergency and last month introduced sweeping border security measures.
"Florida is a law and order state, and we won’t turn a blind eye to the dangers of Biden’s Border Crisis,” DeSantis said. “We will continue to take steps to protect Floridians from reckless federal open border policies."

So whats the remedy here? Will the Biden admin thumb their nose and ignore this? I would guess they will appeal it of course to string it out. We all know this has been illegal.

In a scathing 109-page opinion, U.S. District Judge T. Kent Wetherell ruled the Biden administration’s “catch-and-release” policy is unlawful and “due to be vacated.”

By The Center Square Staff
By Bethany Blankley
Updated: March 8, 2023 - 8:26pm
Afederal judge in Florida handed state Attorney General Ashley Moody a major win on Wednesday in her lawsuit filed against the Biden administration over its “catch and release” policy, releasing foreign nationals in the country illegally into the U.S. instead of deporting them.
Moody argued since she filed the lawsuit in March 2021 that the program is illegal. On Wednesday, a federal judge agreed.
In a scathing 109-page opinion, U.S. District Judge T. Kent Wetherell for the Northern District of Florida Pensacola Division ruled the Biden administration’s “catch-and-release” policy is unlawful and “due to be vacated.” He also denied the administration’s motion for summary judgment, vacated the administration’s “Parole+ATD” Policy under the Administrative Procedures Act, and gave the administration seven days to seek appellate review and comply with federal law and his ruling.
Wetherell, of the U.S. District Court of the Northern District of Florida, ruled, “The Court finds in favor of Florida because, as detailed below, the evidence establishes that Defendants have effectively turned the Southwest Border into a meaningless line in the sand and little more than a speedbump for aliens flooding into the country by prioritizing ‘alternatives to detention’ over actual detention and by releasing more than a million aliens into the country – on ‘parole’ or pursuant to the exercise of ‘prosecutorial discretion’ under a wholly inapplicable statute – without even initiating removal proceedings.”
The judge also said of the administration’s policies: “Collectively, these actions were akin to posting a flashing ‘Come In, We’re Open’ sign on the southern border. The unprecedented ‘surge’ of aliens that started arriving at the Southwest Border almost immediately after President Biden took office and that has continued unabated over the past two years was a predictable consequence of these actions. …
“Thus, like a child who kills his parents and then seeks pity for being an orphan, it is hard to take Defendants’ claim that they had to release more aliens into the country because of limited detention capacity seriously when they have elected not to use one of the tools provided by Congress in §1225(b)(2)(C) and they have continued to ask for less detention capacity in furtherance of their prioritization of ‘alternatives to detention’ over actual detention.”
Moody said the ruling confirms what she has been saying for two years.
“Today’s ruling affirms what we have known all along, President Biden is responsible for the border crisis and his unlawful immigration policies make this country less safe,” Moody said. “A federal judge is now ordering Biden to follow the law, and his administration should immediately begin securing the border to protect the American people.”
Throughout the course of litigation, various Biden administration policies were exposed. Last August, in one deposition, U.S. Border Patrol Chief Raul Ortiz testified the southern border was “currently in a crisis” as a result of Biden administration policies. By September, Florida made public a memo issued by Ortiz instructing agents to release noncitizens into the U.S. en masse because there wouldn’t be enough space to detain them.
Another deposition of another top federal official revealed that that ICE agents were removing seven times fewer people who entered the U.S. illegally in the past year than the agency did 10 years ago. ICE was also only detaining about half the number of people it did during the Trump administration and 40% less the number of people who entered the U.S. illegally than it did during a 2019 border surge, according to the testimony.
Another piece of evidence released by Moody related to Biden administration policies repealing processing pathways of the MPP, ACA and PACR, which impacted Border Patrol agents’ ability to expeditiously process and remove illegal foreign nationals. Restrictions were also put in place regarding detention that forced agents to release hundreds of thousands of foreign nationals into the U.S. instead of deporting them.
The case went to trial in January and lasted one week. On the first day, Moody’s legal team presented “bombshell evidence that the federal government wrongfully withheld until just before the trial” showing the administration’s plan to release people en masse into the U.S.
The ruling comes as U.S. Customs and Border Protection Miami Sector reported a 500% increase in apprehensions in fiscal 2022 compared to fiscal 2021, and as U.S. Coast Guard crews off the coast of Florida are on track to break last year’s apprehension records.
In January, Gov. Ron DeSantis declared a state of emergency and last month introduced sweeping border security measures.
"Florida is a law and order state, and we won’t turn a blind eye to the dangers of Biden’s Border Crisis,” DeSantis said. “We will continue to take steps to protect Floridians from reckless federal open border policies."

Ruling from MAGA trumpty appointed judge? If I learned anything from you, it is that any ruling against a sitting president by a judge appointed by the previous administration is bias and unfair.

In all seriousness though, what I am sure will be left out of right wing media narrative is that the Biden administration has already taken measures to fix this issue, prior to this farce of a ruling.

From the AP News...

The Border Patrol paroled 572,575 migrants last year, including a record-high 130,563 in December. Parole plunged 96% to 5,225 migrants in January after the administration announced measures aimed at deterring Cubans, Haitians, Nicaraguans and Venezuelans from crossing the border illegally and instead seek protection by applying online, finding a financial sponsor and entering the U.S. at an airport.

Reactions: dpic73
Democrat voter drive.
Haven't enough people died because of the spread of that fake conspiracy? It's just another fvcking lie by the despicable Fake News host you worship as the oracle of all truth.

Haven't enough people died because of the spread of that fake conspiracy? It's just another fvcking lie by the despicable Fake News host you worship as the oracle of all truth.

Thats not going to stop good christians like @BlueRidgedf from doing awful things.

I dont know if I believe in "open borders" or not, but I think anyone that wants to come here to try and build a better life for their family should be able too. I think these "immigrants" should have to come through a legal port of entry, be documented provided with a green card, and put on a path too citizenship. They would have to follow some easy to follow rules until they became a citizen.

1) Have to come through a legal port of entry, have too. Have to be documented "Wide Front Door Policy"
2) Cannot receive social services (i.e welfare, public housing) as a immigrant
3) Must maintain employment. No employment gaps greater than 120 days
4) Cannot commit any felonies. Any felonies

On the flip side I also think that any business who hires illegal immigrants should face severe and punishing penalties. Fine them into oblivion.

Circling back to "must come through a legal port of entry". After the "Wide Front Door Policy" was implemented
- If Border Patrol finds someone/a group crossing illegally, they are automatically deported. Do not ask questions, gone.
- If Border Patrol finds someone/a group crossing illegally and they run/evade, deadly force is authorized
- All ships inbound into ports will be checked, should drugs (for the purpose of trafficking) be found, the ship and its cargo would be seized.

Lastly ... might be more controversial, but .... I say we recognize no borders in the war against drug trafficking. I say we stop treating the addicts as criminals but rather turn our ruthless focus to the cartels no matter their location. Drug Trafficking is a terrorist act IMO, and I would send drones and MOABs up the assholes of the cartels (and their families if need be, dont even care). Show them no quarter.

Reactions: TigerGrowls
I dont know if I believe in "open borders" or not, but I think anyone that wants to come here to try and build a better life for their family should be able too. I think these "immigrants" should have to come through a legal port of entry, be documented provided with a green card, and put on a path too citizenship. They would have to follow some easy to follow rules until they became a citizen.

1) Have to come through a legal port of entry, have too. Have to be documented "Wide Front Door Policy"

On the flip side I also think that any business who hires illegal immigrants should face severe and punishing penalties. Fine them into oblivion.

Circling back to "must come through a legal port of entry". After the "Wide Front Door Policy" was implemented
- If Border Patrol finds someone/a group crossing illegally, they are automatically deported. Do not ask questions, gone.
- If Border Patrol finds someone/a group crossing illegally and they run/evade, deadly force is authorized
- All ships inbound into ports will be checked, should drugs (for the purpose of trafficking) be found, the ship and its cargo would be seized.

Lastly ... might be more controversial, but .... I say we recognize no borders in the war against drug trafficking. I say we stop treating the addicts as criminals but rather turn our ruthless focus to the cartels no matter their location. Drug Trafficking is a terrorist act IMO, and I would send drones and MOABs up the assholes of the cartels (and their families if need be, dont even care). Show them no quarter.

Some of what you wrote makes sense. Sadly, I don't think the GOP-controlled Congress has any interest in solving the issue, as it is currently their most potent political weapon.

The things you wrote that I disagree with:

- shooting people trying to evade law enforcement, especially women and children (good god man).
- if you punish the people who hire illegals, we all starve to death, also not good
- Searching every ship sounds great, but the cost of every good will go up, and everyone will have to wait much longer for anything they buy, causing another supply chain nightmare.

Some of what you wrote makes sense. Sadly, I don't think the GOP-controlled Congress has any interest in solving the issue, as it is currently their most potent political weapon.

The things you wrote that I disagree with:

- shooting people trying to evade law enforcement, especially women and children (good god man).
- if you punish the people who hire illegals, we all starve to death, also not good
- Searching every ship sounds great, but the cost of every good will go up, and everyone will have to wait much longer for anything they buy, causing another supply chain nightmare.
Immigration has been a political weapon for both parties for decades. Clinton and Obama had 8 years each to do something and they did very little. Same with Dubya.

keep in mind I said post implementation of my "Wide open front door policy"

- there shouldnt be any innocent women and children crossing the border illegally. If the policy (message) is "Yes we want you. Yes, we understand that you want a better life for you and your family and we want you here. Come through our front door, here is documentation so you can seek employment and start working towards citizenship" no one who isnt up to no good (i.e drug/sex traffickers) should be crossing the border illegally.

- under my idea, there wouldnt really be any "illegals". Come through our front door, seek employment. Business who hire illegally are a burden to the tax payer, especially in terms of Workers Compensation benefits And ... youre ok with people being taken advantage of, sometimes cruelly, just so you can have cheap fruits and vegetables? That doesnt sound like you at all.

- Youre right, checking every ship is too much and not feasible. I really wasnt suggesting that, but I wasnt clear either. I dont know what the current "punishments" are, but Im just thinking that if drugs are found on a cargo ship (for the purpose of trafficking) that the cargo and ship are seized. Dare I say, enlist Privateers to board cargo ships coming from China to check for drugs. Yes .... I just suggested using Pirates haha .... but F* CHINA!!!!!!!!!!

I think immigration and drug trafficking are unfortunately tied very much at the hip, so I would want to make it easier for good hard working people to come here, all the while allowing our CBP agents to focus on the drug traffickers ....... and show drug traffickers no quarter.

Last edited:

i would be OK with what you wrote to be done except that is already pretty much what the law is. We just have government ignoring it.

i would be OK with what you wrote to be done except that is already pretty much what the law is. We just have government ignoring it.
I believe there is a cap on the number of immigrants we take per year, I would lift that cap. If you want to come here for a better life and to make a better life for your family? I want you! You want to come here as a bricklayer, send your kids to our schools so that they can become a doctor, I want you. Quite frankly, I'd rather swap these immigrants coming from Venezuela, El Salvador , Guatemala, etc for the highly educated useless idiot blue hairs that hate the Country so much.

I think that further encourages people to come to out country through a legal port of entry, get documented, get the appropriate documentation so they can seek legal employment .... pay their taxes... you know "Pay their fair share". I also think, doing this dries up a revenue stream for the Cartels, as immigrants wouldnt need coyotes to sneak them into the country.

If you cant tell, I REALLY want to go after the Cartels..... like Jack Ryan Clear and Present Danger level .....

Never heard of it. Now back to the topic. Democrats support open borders because they want these people to vote for them. They don't care how many people die from drugs coming across the border.

Never heard of it. Now back to the topic. Democrats support open borders because they want these people to vote for them. They don't care how many people die from drugs coming across the border.

and there it is. This dipshit believes we have open borders because Tucker told him.

Please don’t procreate. We are already moving to an idiocracy too quickly.

FqwDO_6XsAA59gi

The very first line of your article proves my point, we do not have open borders. People who say we have open borders are stupid.

Monthly encounters between U.S. Border Patrol agents and migrants attempting to cross into the United States at the U.S.-Mexico border remain at levels not seen in more than two decades, according to the latest available government statistics.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT