ADVERTISEMENT

Georgia legislature approves election integrity bill, Gov. Kemp signs it into law

TigerGrowls

Woodrush
Gold Member
Dec 21, 2001

This still will not save Kemp or Raffenspuke in the next election, but its a great step in the right direction.

The new law requires voter ID for absentee ballots, limits drop-box collections and expands weekend voting after a contentious 2020 election.
GettyImages-1058142894.jpg

Image - Voters lined up in Atlanta, Georgia in 2018
(Jessica McGowan/Getty Images)
By Alex Nitzberg and John Solomon
Updated: March 25, 2021 - 7:40pm

Both houses of the Georgia Legislature approved a sweeping election integrity bill Thursday that requires voter ID for absentee ballots, limits drop-box collections and expands weekend voting. Gov. Brian Kemp immediately signed the legislation into law.
"There's no doubt there were many alarming issues with how the election was handled, and those problems really led to a crisis of confidence in the ballot box here in Georgia,” the governor said after signing the bill.
Democrats, including President Joe Biden, decried the measure as an effort at voter suppression while Republicans said it restored confidence in election integrity by ensuring those who vote do so lawfully.

The 95-page bill written by Republicans passed the House of Representatives in a 100-75 party-line vote and in the Senate by a 34-20 party-line vote. It followed a tight 2020 presidential contest in the state that saw Democrats win the presidency and the state's U.S. Senate seats.
Its signature provision required absentee voters to provide ID, replacing the signature-verifications used in 2020, and it prohibited the state from mailing out absentee ballot applications unsolicited as happened during the pandemic.
The law also:
  • restricted ballot drop boxes to be located inside early voting locations, and to be unavailable in the last four days of an election;
  • expanded weekend voting before general elections with required voting hours on two Saturdays statewide, and the option for counties to offer early voting on two Sundays;
  • empowered the State Election Board to assume control of county election boards that it deemed need intervention;
  • reduced the time span between elections and runoffs from nine weeks to four weeks.
The bill ignited debate across the state, with Democrats howling it would restrict access to voting.
"It is unbelievable that there are still some people trying to stop people from voting today. You are changing the rules, cutting the voting hours, and making it more difficult for people to vote," Democratic state Rep. Erica Thomas said, according to the Atlanta Journal-Constitution. "Too many people fought, bled and died for our right to vote."
Republicans countered that the 2020 election was conducted under rules that were too loose and undermined confidence in lawful voting.
"Our goal is to ensure that voters in Georgia have confidence in the elections process," said state Sen. Max Burns, according to the Journal-Constitution. "This is a solid step in the right direction to provide voter integrity in Georgia."
The legislation reverberated all the way to Washington, where Biden called it "un-American" and vowed to fight election reform efforts in GOP states while the conservative Heritage Action for America group hailed it as a necessary reform that ensures absentee ballots can't be abused.
"The Peach State is in better hands because of these election integrity reforms," the group tweeted in a congratulatory statement shortly after Kemp signed the bill.

What’s hilarious is watching people from other countries observe these discussions openly wondering how you could let people vote without ID. It’s common sense everywhere else.

Here...somehow it’s voter suppression. Makes not a lick of sense.

Both sides get on my nerves. 2016 it was Russia collusion according to the left, 2020 it was voter fraud according to the right. I just want the American people to have trust in the voting process.

I'm still looking for something to happen about the integrity in Atlanta?? :rolleyes:

d0f07f98-aa49-45fa-9d12-2a2ca7ad9bef_1920x1080.jpg
Step 1. Say there is a water pipe break (there wasn’t)
Step 2. Kick Republican poll watchers out
Step 3. Pull suitcases with ballots from underneath a hidden table
Step 4: Scan ballots in suitcases multiple times through scanner
Step 5: Biden barely wins the state
BONUS
Step 6: Repeat in January 5th senate runoff

The law that was amended was written and passed by a full Republican government in 2005. Only difference is a loss occurred.

A solution in search of a problem, if you will, except the problem isn't illegal or fraudulent voting.

(It's losing elections.)

If you can’t beat em suppress em

(Move to round table forthcoming)

(insert sarcasm)That's it! Cause them poor folk and black folk are too stupid to vote like everyone else, right? Give me a break.

It's so odd to me that the master mentality isn't recognized when people are treated like this. There is no suppression. To say otherwise is to be a racist bigot who thinks certain groups can't vote without your help. Pure applesauce!

Last edited:
Their ain't but one damn reason a politician doesn't want an ID being required to vote..Its funny when it comes time to collect those taxes they want everybodies ID tho...

Reactions: Dmk and TigerGrowls
How does one provide ID when voting absentee? Show your license to the mailman?

The individual will first have to request to vote absentee and then will be identity verified as part of that process. In the past an individual would need an approved reason to do it. In the November 2020 fiasco, ballots were just mass mailed to all names on the voter rolls in a number of states including most of the ones that had all the problems.

^ 100% bullshit

Watch some discussions on Reddit. All these other countries that have a bunch of different ways to vote and expand voter access require ID for all of the approaches. Because it's patently insane not to do so.

The only reason not to require ID when voting is if you want to increase the chance of fraud. Every other country gets this and there's not a lick of rational thought to oppose it.

Watch some discussions on Reddit. All these other countries that have a bunch of different ways to vote and expand voter access require ID for all of the approaches. Because it's patently insane not to do so.

The only reason not to require ID when voting is if you want to increase the chance of fraud. Every other country gets this and there's not a lick of rational thought to oppose it.

There is more to it than IDs. They are limiting early voting hours from 9-5, which may not seem like a big deal for most people but it is a big deal for hourly wage workers. Those people tend to be younger or people of color.

And they also will allow the legislature to appoint someone to run elections, not the SOS. So you know, the next time Trump calls and says "find me the votes I need" the crony in charge will do it for him.

Don't be naive. The republicans are changing the rules that they originally made because they do not want to lose another fair election. The easiest way to do it is the suppress young voters and voters of color.

If you can’t beat em cheat em!
please provide evidence of your claims since exactly 0 of the cases involving voter fraud were won by trump and his minions (probably because there is no evidence and you can't accept the fact that people don't like a narcissistic, lying, scumbag running the country)

Reactions: dpic73

I meant your defense of this racist legislation is bullshit. The ID thing is just one of many voter suppression measures Republicans are trying to pass all over the country.

The individual will first have to request to vote absentee and then will be identity verified as part of that process. In the past an individual would need an approved reason to do it. In the November 2020 fiasco, ballots were just mass mailed to all names on the voter rolls in a number of states including most of the ones that had all the problems.

Wrong, GA has had open absentee ballots since 2005. Identities were primarily verified based on voter registration where ID was required, addresses, and signature match. Following the 3rd recount, an audit of the last election also found no issues.

Reactions: TigerFlow
The ID thing is just one of many voter suppression measures Republicans are trying to pass all over the country.

The ID thing is one thing that everyone can look at and realize is crazy not to have. As long as it's constantly opposed by Dems, nobody is going to see anything else that will pass along with it.

Pro tip for Democrats: if you want to have a conversation about things you see as voter suppression, get on board with voter ID first if you want anyone to take you seriously. As long as that gets opposition, everything else is irrational noise.

Reactions: WilkinsHat
Wrong, GA has had open absentee ballots since 2005. Identities were primarily verified based on voter registration where ID was required, addresses, and signature match. Following the 3rd recount, an audit of the last election also found no issues.

Not wrong. I never said it wasn't used before. I just said it was identity verified as part of the application process.

Voting laws in Ga. and other states were ok until democrats won. Now those have to be changed. The one ThatI particularly like makes it a crime to provide food or water to those in line. That provision will not survive a legal challenge.

Republicans lost in Georgia so they are making it harder to vote. Say what you want about it's individual provisions, but it's undeniable that the bill makes it more difficult to vote.

And, the bill gives political parties direct control over the results of the election.

If you think that's a positive thing, you are a ****ing idiot.

Step 1. Say there is a water pipe break (there wasn’t)
Step 2. Kick Republican poll watchers out
Step 3. Pull suitcases with ballots from underneath a hidden table
Step 4: Scan ballots in suitcases multiple times through scanner
Step 5: Biden barely wins the state
BONUS
Step 6: Repeat in January 5th senate runoff
After all these lawsuits, there’s zero proof of election fraud. I’m a Republican, but it’s morons like you who are pushing intelligent individuals away from the party.

Republicans lost in Georgia so they are making it harder to vote. Say what you want about it's individual provisions, but it's undeniable that the bill makes it more difficult to vote.

And, the bill gives political parties direct control over the results of the election.

If you think that's a positive thing, you are a ****ing idiot.

Exactly how does it make it difficult for any citizen to vote? I need to know what you guys are trying to insinuate.

After all these lawsuits, there’s zero proof of election fraud. I’m a Republican, but it’s morons like you who are pushing intelligent individuals away from the party.
Every lawsuit was dismissed because of lacking of standing not because evidence; not one case even got into an evidentiary hearing.
Every Judge was afraid to rule on the cases because they were afraid ANTIFA would fire bomb their houses. But sure buddy keep getting spoon feed MSM bs about how there was no cheating.

Last edited:
The law states that voters cannot eat food or drink water while waiting in line to vote. What kind of human being would approve a rule like this? Oh, i forgot these are the descedants of slave owners and people who lynched people because God made them non white.

The law states that voters cannot eat food or drink water while waiting in line to vote. What kind of human being would approve a rule like this? Oh, i forgot these are the descedants of slave owners and people who lynched people because God made them non white.

I would like to see a confirmation of that, but even if it were true which I am doubting then it would be for all people and not certain groups.

Lol. Might want to brush up on the bill before going hardcore racism.

Reactions: wmnesbitt
I would like to see a confirmation of that, but even if it were true which I am doubting then it would be for all people and not certain groups.

The difference is there are "people" who have much shorter lines to wait in than others and therefore may not need water. This is not hyperbole - I live in Atlanta and have seen it firsthand. This just made an already hard situation harder for "some people". I'll let you decide why we have these differences.

Reactions: TheValley91
The difference is there are "people" who have much shorter lines to wait in than others and therefore may not need water. This is not hyperbole - I live in Atlanta and have seen it firsthand. This just made an already hard situation harder for "some people". I'll let you decide why we have these differences.
Yezzir. Lived in multiple areas of Atlanta and the voting lines/difficulties absolutely change based on...factors.

Reactions: dpic73

I live in Gwinnett County and had to wait in line 2 hours to early vote on a random weekday afternoon weeks before election day, so its not just certain areas or ethnic groups.

• Haha
Reactions: DW4_2016
Republicans need to learn from Democrats and just tell them to F off. Show up with ID and cast your vote.

Democrats will cry about everything and spew venom to make you sound evil. All they want is an opportunity to cheat like they did in 2020.

The End.

The law states that no election official or party affiliate can HAND OUT food, water, swag, bling, gifts, etc to voters as that would potentially influence a vote. It's not as inhumane as not allowing anyone to eat or drink in-line

What stops people from bringing their own food or water? When I take my kids anywhere, my wife brings 19 different snacks, waters, survival kits, first aid, covid masks, toys, ipads, strollers.....etc. Can't an 18 year + old adult come equipped with a hydro flask or bottle of water?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT