ADVERTISEMENT

Georgia reopening beaches for the weekend....

Brian Kemp ( the governor of Georgia) is so dumb that he claimed that he did not know until two days ago that an asymptomatic person could transmit Covid-19, a fact widely known for at least 3-4 months. Kemp and DeSantis (Florida governor) are going to get a lot of people killed from shear stubbornness in trying to mimic and please Trump.

Brian Kemp ( the governor of Georgia) is so dumb that he claimed that he did not know until two days ago that an asymptomatic person could transmit Covid-19, a fact widely known for at least 3-4 months. Kemp and DeSantis (Florida governor) are going to get a lot of people killed from shear stubbornness in trying to mimic and please Trump.
Hmmmm. Do you know him or work in his office or for the chief public health officer with Gov. Kemp?

Reactions: Georgia Orange
As long as they don’t cough on each other, wash their hands and don’t touch their face they’ll be fine. The CoronaVirus boogie man is not gonna come out of the sand and kill everyone.

This might be true, but there is worry that the virus lingers in the air longer than previously thought.

If you open the beaches then at least limit the number of people, spread them out, and dont allow any congregation around bars/restaurants.

Honestly, it's a stupid decision at a critical time and will cost lives. That governor is incompetent.

Last edited:
I really think there needs to be a transition within governments to try and acknowledge how to manage activity levels and mental health during all this. Governments are so scared of trivializing but there’s nothing wrong with trying to find ways for their citizens to manage this crisis.

Just don’t allow people to bring lawn chairs or coolers. Make it so they can only walk or run. How often do people walk or run near people?

This might be true, but there is worry that the virus lingers in the air longer than previously thought.

If you open the beaches then at least limit the number of people, spread them out, and dont allow any congregation around bars/restaurants.

Honestly, it's a stupid decision at a critical time and will cost lives. That governor is incompetent.
Based on your research, exactly how many lives to you expect this to cost?

Lingers in the air?
So what if you have neighbors that live fairly close to you & they come outside? Could the virus float to your house?? Perhaps we should all just stay indoors for like 3 months straight, just to be sure...smh

The point is that when Jekyll and St Simons beaches were open last, people were packed on it like sardines. No one is suggesting it's going to "come out of the sand" but if you think people are going to stay away from each other and not socialize then you haven't been paying attention. All this happening when our local hospitals are having their first cases this week and the local cases have gone up 400% this week

Lingers in the air?
So what if you have neighbors that live fairly close to you & they come outside? Could the virus float to your house?? Perhaps we should all just stay indoors for like 3 months straight, just to be sure...smh

Yes jimbob, the virus can float in the air across your yard and into your house. You should therefore stay inside for the next month or two (or longer) and focus on figuring out more reasons why this generation is so soft. Or more ways for you to gloat when this is all over because you had it all figured out the entire time and the rest of the country is full of idiots.

Better yet, there are plenty of websites that you can ponder this over than TI. I'm sure there are less pansy versions of reddit out there.

Reactions: clemsontyger04

I don't know. I don't know how many people will show up. I don't know how crowded it will get. I know that if thousands of people show up, there will be new transmission of the virus and some of those people will become very ill and some will die. I know that those that get infected will also pass it on to more people over the next number of weeks.

Staying 6 feet apart doesnt make you immune (https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/fullarticle/2763852), but it will lessen the impact of this stupid decision.

You know, if only the CDC were located in Atlanta where the governor could get up to date info. As it is, he would have to contact someone as far away as DECATUR to get that info.

I told my daughter to put a bumper sticker on her car saying, “Don’t blame me, I voted for Stacy.”

Think about the washing stations that all the poors use when leaving the beach. You have to all touch that same handle. You all touch the same hand rails. What about restrooms? Are they open? Being sanitized every 30 minutes or so? Or is everyone touching the same fixtures with wet hands?

Save your fingers typing "what about walmart". I agree that covid is probably on 90% of the credit card readers in walmart.

You are a f*cking idiot.

For "exercise." Bold strategy Cotton:eek:

Don't know how to post it here, but I read a letter that the mayor of Tybee Island sent to Kemp asking him to keep the beaches closed. Basically said our community will be overrun and we don't have the police resources to enforce social distancing (6 of their officers are in quarantine currently). They expect people to come from all over since the beaches in FLA and SC are closed.

Don't know how to post it here, but I read a letter that the mayor of Tybee Island sent to Kemp asking him to keep the beaches closed. Basically said our community will be overrun and we don't have the police resources to enforce social distancing (6 of their officers are in quarantine currently). They expect people to come from all over since the beaches in FLA and SC are closed.

Links usually work, or copy/paste.

I don't know. I don't know how many people will show up. I don't know how crowded it will get. I know that if thousands of people show up, there will be new transmission of the virus and some of those people will become very ill and some will die. I know that those that get infected will also pass it on to more people over the next number of weeks.

Staying 6 feet apart doesnt make you immune (https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/fullarticle/2763852), but it will lessen the impact of this stupid decision.
Or no one could get it and no one could die.

You are a f*cking idiot.

Why exactly is he a ****ing idiot?

I’m trying to play middle ground here. I like Gov. Kemp and have a classmate of mine who works on his staff, who I respect deeply, but there’s no way around that press conference being a bad look for him. Personally, I think he misspoke. But it doesn’t matter.

Again, I like him. But I don’t think he’s handled this very well. To each their own I suppose

Just got back from the beach and no one died.
giphy.gif

Reactions: ChicagoTiger85
Well, the virus is predominantly deadly for the elderly with multiple comorbidity and others with certain health issues which are primarily significant respiratory or immune deficiency related. Since the overall mortality rate is rapidly going below 1% and possibly after the latest treatments are widespread, even below influenza, maybe we just just pretend we are a free country and we are allowed to take our chances. Everyone at this point should know if they are at risk and do what they should do until a vaccine is widely available. I’m at Lowes in Clemson at this moment and there are a shit ton of old people in here! Obviously people are weighing the risk for themselves and have made up their own free minds as to what they will do with this. Telling everyone to stop living isn’t a magic panacea. This thing isn’t going to disappear by separating everyone from everyone else. That’s just not possible, and eventually just about everyone will contract this disease until a vaccine is available and widely used which could take a year or more. Every model presented thus far by the government and the media has been wildly wrong and corrected downward over and over again. We absolutely know who’s most vulnerable and we can’t keep this up for much longer without much worse consequences. As it stands now if your standing on a beach which is always windy with a bunch of other healthy working age people and their kids who have been almost untouched by this you’re not getting and certainly not dying from the virus unless by some freak one in a million chance. At some point the benefits outweigh the risks. Freedom is what makes us the greatest nation in human history. Freedom will also allow us to lead the world in beating this, but not if we destroy our economy, sanity and way of life.

I think he was responding to this story from Thursday, but he obviously shouldn't have made it sound like he didn't know anything about pre-symptomatic spread (@PCHOI , this does suggest there could have been some misspeaking going on): https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...efore-symptoms-appear-cdc-study-idUSKBN21J6H2. When I read this, I was a bit surprised at the way it was presented as new news, as well.

@kgwillison , this article is about a CDC study that was just published on Thursday. I'm not sure how you think the ridiculous Stacy Abrams would've been any better.

Last edited:
I'm amazed there are people that don't understand why this is a problem. The only think I can figure is those people believe that people aren't going to gather on the beaches. Sure it's great to outside and get some air....but 4000 other people have the same idea which is a massive problem.

Reactions: Karen50

The writers of the JAMA study also had this to say:
Fresh air can help rid coronavirus droplets
These findings heighten the dangers for those caring for COVID-19 patients. Without sufficient air circulation to disperse the cloud, its concentrated payload of droplets can linger in hospitals and homes.

“Drops are trapped in the cloud for quite some time and they can remain locally concentrated,” says Bourouiba.

The best defenses are the outdoors and open windows which dissipate the clouds or droplets.

“When one is outside, with air circulation or wind, the cloud and its payload is easily dispersed and less concentrated. Making sure that indoor spaces are aired frequently also reduces the concentration,” Bourouiba says.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT