ADVERTISEMENT

Hopkins and Watson go all in to remove John C Calhoun

yahoo_SPORTS_Light.png

DeAndre Hopkins doesn't name Clemson in player intros because of slavery advocate associated with school

Jason Owens

June 8, 2020, 9:02 PM EDT

0:58
3:55

Veteran Nate Boyer: Taking a knee wasn’t disrespectful until “I saw the knee on George Floyd’s neck”

As nationwide protests demand a shift in American race relations, DeAndre Hopkins and Deshaun Watson are using the moment to call for change at their former college.

They used their platforms to advocate for the removal of a slave supporter’s name at an honors building at Clemson on Monday. They tweeted a petition started by Clemson student Roann Abdeladl demanding the removal of former U.S. Vice President John C. Calhoun’s name from the school’s Calhoun Honors College.

Deandre Hopkins

✔@DeAndreHopkins

https://twitter.com/DeAndreHopkins/status/1270103712321507328

Clemson University still honors the name of slave owner John C. Calhoun on its buildings, signs, and in the name of its honors program. I am joining the voices of the students and faculty to restarted this petition to rename the Calhoun Honors College. http://tinyurl.com/calhounpetition

5:21 PM - Jun 8, 2020
Twitter Ads info and privacy

749 people are talking about this

Deshaun Watson

✔@deshaunwatson

https://twitter.com/deshaunwatson/status/1270164824027279362

Clemson University should not honor slave owner John C. Calhoun in any way. His name should be removed from all University property and programming. I am joining the students, faculty & DeAndre to restart this petition to rename the Calhoun Honors College.http://tinyurl.com/calhounpetition

Sign the Petition
Rename the Calhoun Honors College at Clemson University

change.org

9:24 PM - Jun 8, 2020
Twitter Ads info and privacy

924 people are talking about this

Calhoun’s push for slavery in U.S. government
Calhoun served as the seventh vice president of the United States from 1825-32 and also represented South Carolina in the U.S. House of Representatives and Senate. He was a slave owner and staunch advocate of slavery.

“Slavery is indispensable to a republican government,” Calhoun is quoted as saying.

The petition points to Calhoun’s stance on slavery in contrast to Clemson president James P. Clements’ vow to not tolerate racism “in any form.”

“As students, alumni, faculty, staff, friends, and fans of Clemson University and the Calhoun Honors College, we demand that the University — without further delays or excuses — remove John C. Calhoun’s name from one of our most distinguished academic programs. Calhoun, who on the floor of the U.S. Senate advocated for the expansion of slavery as a “positive good,” exemplifies institutional racism and white supremacy.

91954510-fb38-11e9-b6f3-a186c2a0b743

DeAndre Hopkins supported a petition calling for the removal of a former U.S. vice president's name at a Clemson program. (Photo by Zach Bolinger/Getty Images)
Why Hopkins doesn’t acknowledge Clemson
Hopkins also linked to the petition on his Instagram page while explaining that the school’s continued use of Calhoun’s name is the reason he doesn’t acknowledge Clemson during pregame introductions on NFL broadcasts. Instead, Hopkins names Daniel High School, his South Carolina alma mater.

“As we watch everything happening in the world, I want to bring up something that has been bothering me for a long time in my community,” Hopkins wrote. “Clemson University still honors the name of well known slave owner and pro-slavery politician John C. Calhoun on its buildings, signs and in the name of its honors program. I felt this oppressive figure during my time at Clemson and purposely do not mention the University’s name before NFL games because of it.”

Hopkins played three seasons at Clemson from 2010-12 before the Houston Texans selected him in the first round of the 2013 NFL draft.

Just seems strange that you'd change Calhoun before you'd change Tillman. Tillman was a bad guy.

Who didn't own slaves back then? All of our "forefathers" did. I bet DW Daniel's father or grandfather had some slaves.

Thomas Green Clemson married a slave-owner's daughter. Change the name to Dabo University if appeases people.

Change the name to Hopkins! I'm all about it.

I find it ridiculous & disingenuous to everyone that supported Nuk with all the love and positivity the program gave him over the Honors program (... was he ever a part of???)

Just seems strange that you'd change Calhoun before you'd change Tillman. Tillman was a bad guy.

Who didn't own slaves back then? All of our "forefathers" did. I bet DW Daniel's father or grandfather had some slaves.

Thomas Green Clemson married a slave-owner's daughter. Change the name to Dabo University if appeases people.
Sir, sorry, my ancestors were Negro Slaves in the Great State Of SC!

Sir, sorry, my ancestors were Negro Slaves in the Great State Of SC!

My point was that the majority of "important white guys" owned slaves. Do we get rid of "George Washington University"? Do we tear down the Jefferson Memorial, Washington Monument, etc?

I don't know the answers.

I'm suggesting that maybe there's a difference in a guy like Tillman vs guys like TG Clemson, John C Calhoun, George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, etc. Maybe there's not... I don't know. It's probably more of a question for black people.

I’m all for it. Glad Nuk & DW stepped up. I wonder a little bit if Nuk ever voiced his issues to someone like Clements? I’m sure the line was open. Not that it matters much at this point but maybe it takes these two and a whole lot of people paying attention to them to create change. Reality is that it should’ve been done a while ago and by not being proactive (if you call it that since even the last time this issued was raised was too late) Clemson likely brought some bad press on itself by kicking the can down the road.

Old Main sounds better than Tillman Hall and Calhoun Honors College will serve the same function even if it honors (pun intended) someone else. If it’s “just a name” then it’s really just a name. You can talk about educating people about them instead but has that really even happened? Little too late for that now anyway.

Tillman was 13 years old at the start of the Civil War and 15 at The Emancipation Proclamation. He probably didn't own slaves, but despicable never the less.

Thomas Green Clemson did own slaves.

Naming ideas?

Change it all to “Dabo Land”

Meanwhile, I hate the offseason shenanigans

Reactions: cu22.

4% of southerners owned slaves.

if those slaves had not been purchased, they would have been killed.

without slavery, many African origin humans would have been exterminated.

slavery is absolutely the second most horrible thing, no third, you can do to a human being.

1_ kill

2_torture

3-enslave

"it must necessarily follow, that some one portion of the community must pay in taxes more than it receives back in disbursements; while another receives in disbursements more than it pays in taxes…

The necessary result, then, of the unequal fiscal action of the government is, to divide the community into two great classes;

one consisting of those who, in reality, pay the taxes, and, of course, bear exclusively the burthen of supporting the government;

and the other,

of those who are the recipients of their proceeds, through disbursements, and who are, in fact, supported by the government; or, in fewer words,

to divide it into tax-payers and tax-consumers".

Reactions: cu22.
It’s incremental. Change the names. Ok. Then 5-10 years from now the push is on to destroy the Calhoun house and/or Tillman Hall.

If not for John Calhoun, there is no Clemson. The entire property was given to create the school.

and I guess Nuk where his last name came from "Hopkins"

whats the odds his last name is that of a slave owner.

might have to change his last name too.

wonder how many of Calhoun's slaves changed their names too?

Guess who said this. It’s as racist as it gets.

I will say then, that I am not nor ever have been in favor of making voters of the negroes, or jurors, or qualifying them to hold office, of having them to marry with white people. I will say in addition, that there is a physical difference between the white and black races, which I suppose, will forever forbid the two races living together upon terms of social and political equality, and inasmuch, as they cannot so live, that while they do remain together, there must be the position of superior and inferior, that I as much as any other man am in favor of the superior position being assigned to the white man.

Abe Lincoln. Guess his monuments and the $5 bill need to disappear immediately. Slavery was a part of the times back then. You learn from your history and move on to be better. If we get into renaming everything from a time none of us were alive, we might as well rename all the confederate states too. It will never stop.

Last edited:
4% of southerners owned slaves.

if those slaves had not been purchased, they would have been killed.

without slavery, many African origin humans would have been exterminated.

slavery is absolutely the second most horrible thing, no third, you can do to a human being.

1_ kill

2_torture

3-enslave
Whhhhaaaatttt the fuuuuuuuucqk are you talking about?

Wait til he finds out our ancestors killed the Indians too. We took their land and named it “South” Carolina. That’s pretty insensitive.

Reactions: griffgolf and cu22.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT