ADVERTISEMENT

Hopkins and Watson go all in to remove John C Calhoun

4% of southerners owned slaves.

if those slaves had not been purchased, they would have been killed.

without slavery, many African origin humans would have been exterminated.

slavery is absolutely the second most horrible thing, no third, you can do to a human being.

1_ kill

2_torture

3-enslave
wow... get the fvck out of here.

reality is this started out as a "justice for George Floyd"

well all 4 officers involved have been arrest and charged with 2nd degree murder or accessories to 2nd degree murder and face 40 years in prison/

justice is being served as swiftly and efficiently as possible.

no reason for thousands of small businesses be looted.

no reason for buildings to be burned.

humans to hurt or killed.

millions of dollars in inventory destroyed or stolen

supporting that--that's whats stupid.

Reactions: tigerworx
First of all, reread history. There were very few slave owners compared to the population. I haven't ever met, personally, anyone whose family owned slaves.

Until both sides are serious, nothing will change. The only slavery in this country today lies between the ears of people. A great start would be defining the words racist and racism.... because a helluva lot of people misuse both.

I suggest we research back and all people including the black men who owned slaves have their names stripped from history

Slavery by every race against their own race and other races and ethnicities was no way acceptable

over history it happened

we as a people need to look forward to making the world better using the memories of where we came from as a guide. And reference
I merely answered Your Question! History lesson as skewed as yours appear was not asked! Attempts to rewrite history was not asked!
I reiterate, to your question; Sir, My Family Did Not Own Slaves, We Were Slaves!

slavery is absolutely the second most horrible thing, no third, you can do to a human being.

1_ kill

2_torture

3-enslave

What is your point here? It is still disgusting. I still can’t wrap my head around people ever considering it morally acceptable

Just seems strange that you'd change Calhoun before you'd change Tillman. Tillman was a bad guy.

Who didn't own slaves back then? All of our "forefathers" did. I bet DW Daniel's father or grandfather had some slaves.

Thomas Green Clemson married a slave-owner's daughter. Change the name to Dabo University if appeases people.
Cavitybacks. Most people did not own slaves

My great grandmother, born into slavery, stories passed down & I am old enough to have the stories told to me! Mother died 1978, was according to family 115 & I was 20...do the math!

Now how do you know your family did or did not own slaves?

My great grand parents immigrated from Europe after slavery and probably did not own slaves in Europe. One of my great grand parents was Native American and probably did not own slaves. I wish I could find more info on their past. One of my great grand parents immigrated from Finland after cholera took his wife and 4 kids in a matter of a month

My point was that the majority of "important white guys" owned slaves. Do we get rid of "George Washington University"? Do we tear down the Jefferson Memorial, Washington Monument, etc?

I don't know the answers.

I'm suggesting that maybe there's a difference in a guy like Tillman vs guys like TG Clemson, John C Calhoun, George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, etc. Maybe there's not... I don't know. It's probably more of a question for black people.
Understand! Not trying to speak for all Black & I am not a CU Alum! My opinion, Anything to do with The Confederacy, those that turned against the US & harbored people as slaves; should be placed in a museum!
Also, those that had slaves, fought for democracy of these United States should be duly noted & treated accordingly!

Reactions: Esso Porch
reality is this started out as a "justice for George Floyd"

well all 4 officers involved have been arrest and charged with 2nd degree murder or accessories to 2nd degree murder and face 40 years in prison/

justice is being served as swiftly and efficiently as possible.

no reason for thousands of small businesses be looted.

no reason for buildings to be burned.

humans to hurt or killed.

millions of dollars in inventory destroyed or stolen

supporting that--that's whats stupid.

That's factually not true. If it was swift and efficient, it wouldn't have required protests to have all the cops charged and changed from a useless 3rd degree to something more.

Reactions: IMBlessed
What is your point here? It is still disgusting. I still can’t wrap my head around people ever considering it morally acceptable

wait consider what morally acceptable???

me stating the facts does not mean I agree with those facts....

I just don't sugar coat reality

we must have quite a few teachers who have been trying to rewrite history to take the edge off to compensate for evolution of sensitivity

Reactions: TigerGrowls
My great grand parents immigrated from Europe after slavery and probably did not own slaves in Europe. One of my great grand parents was Native American and probably did not own slaves. I wish I could find more info on their past. One of my great grand parents immigrated from Finland after cholera took his wife and 4 kids in a matter of a month
Outstanding, now for point of reference & I mean this sincerely; I really wish my ancestors had the opportunity to become US citizens & treated as such as yours did!
Now & again sincerely; think of how difficult it would be for your ancestors to become citizens today! Also, I would love to hear about the trials of your Native American Ancestors!

That's factually not true. If it was swift and efficient, it wouldn't have required protests to have all the cops charged and changed from a useless 3rd degree to something more.

I disagree.

from the day it happened, until the day of the arrest seemed pretty quick for a case.

gotta have the case built before you make the arrest.

once the arrest was made pretty quick court date

9.9 out of 10 americans considered this murder.

now we are talking about tearing down Calhoun mansion

the catch is all these so called slave owners were good people that were misguided by the times.

each one did amazing things for their communities to make us to what we are today.

life aint half bad.

even for blacks.

so what if you never ended up the offspring of a slave in AMerica, imagine being in Africa with no air-conditioning today.
Dude, you Really need to Travel or Just Read A Book!
Africa is the wealthiest continent on this planet!

We would not have this discussion if people like you did not continue to tell blacks to “Shut Up & Dribble”, “Relax, Life Ain’t Half Bad For Y’all”, “Y’all Could Have Died In Africa If Us White Folks Did Not (Kidnap, Rape, Keep Uneducated, Not Allow To Have A Family) Make You Slaves, Be Grateful!”

Black People are US Citizens, Americans, Pay Taxes, Fight In Our Military! We deserve Everything Our US Constitution Promises & Without Apologies To Anyone, Especially You! Me = Christian, Business Owner, Black American, Honorably 21 Years Served Veteran, Husband (1 Woman 37 Years) Father of College Educated Black Men & Very Proud US Citizen! I Apologize To No One For Being An American & Fighting For My Rights!

Outstanding, now for point of reference & I mean this sincerely; I really wish my ancestors had the opportunity to become US citizens & treated as such as yours did!
Now & again sincerely; think of how difficult it would be for your ancestors to become citizens today! Also, I would love to hear about the trials of your Native American Ancestors!

My grandma is still alive and I try to ask her about It every chance I get. I need to write it all down. She sensationalizes things though.

I hired a guy in in/from Mexico recently and it was a struggle keeping him and a long process to just get started on a green card. He is the type of person we need and want

definitely need to improve the legal immigration process

Guess who said this. It’s as racist as it gets.

I will say then, that I am not nor ever have been in favor of making voters of the negroes, or jurors, or qualifying them to hold office, of having them to marry with white people. I will say in addition, that there is a physical difference between the white and black races, which I suppose, will forever forbid the two races living together upon terms of social and political equality, and inasmuch, as they cannot so live, that while they do remain together, there must be the position of superior and inferior, that I as much as any other man am in favor of the superior position being assigned to the white man.

Abe Lincoln. Guess his monuments and the $5 bill need to disappear immediately. Slavery was a part of the times back then. You learn from your history and move on to be better. If we get into renaming everything from a time none of us were alive, we might as well rename all the confederate states too. It will never stop.

If you study this history just a little bit further you would also know that Lincoln said this to get elected, because if he didn't get elected he couldn't enact the actions that he ultimately did. Yes, Honest Abe lied. With that said, I am not for renaming everything.

Reactions: tigerken
Just seems strange that you'd change Calhoun before you'd change Tillman. Tillman was a bad guy.

Who didn't own slaves back then? All of our "forefathers" did. I bet DW Daniel's father or grandfather had some slaves.

Thomas Green Clemson married a slave-owner's daughter. Change the name to Dabo University if appeases people.

That’s not exactly true. John Adams, Samuel Adams, and Alexander Hamilton were all anti slavery. You could also say Washington’s experience with Hamilton and Lafayette moderated his views on slavery.

yahoo_SPORTS_Light.png

DeAndre Hopkins doesn't name Clemson in player intros because of slavery advocate associated with school

Jason Owens

June 8, 2020, 9:02 PM EDT

0:58
3:55

Veteran Nate Boyer: Taking a knee wasn’t disrespectful until “I saw the knee on George Floyd’s neck”

As nationwide protests demand a shift in American race relations, DeAndre Hopkins and Deshaun Watson are using the moment to call for change at their former college.

They used their platforms to advocate for the removal of a slave supporter’s name at an honors building at Clemson on Monday. They tweeted a petition started by Clemson student Roann Abdeladl demanding the removal of former U.S. Vice President John C. Calhoun’s name from the school’s Calhoun Honors College.

Deandre Hopkins

✔@DeAndreHopkins

Clemson University still honors the name of slave owner John C. Calhoun on its buildings, signs, and in the name of its honors program. I am joining the voices of the students and faculty to restarted this petition to rename the Calhoun Honors College. http://tinyurl.com/calhounpetition

5:21 PM - Jun 8, 2020
Twitter Ads info and privacy

749 people are talking about this

Deshaun Watson

✔@deshaunwatson

Clemson University should not honor slave owner John C. Calhoun in any way. His name should be removed from all University property and programming. I am joining the students, faculty & DeAndre to restart this petition to rename the Calhoun Honors College.http://tinyurl.com/calhounpetition

Sign the Petition
Rename the Calhoun Honors College at Clemson University

change.org

9:24 PM - Jun 8, 2020
Twitter Ads info and privacy

924 people are talking about this

Calhoun’s push for slavery in U.S. government
Calhoun served as the seventh vice president of the United States from 1825-32 and also represented South Carolina in the U.S. House of Representatives and Senate. He was a slave owner and staunch advocate of slavery.

“Slavery is indispensable to a republican government,” Calhoun is quoted as saying.

The petition points to Calhoun’s stance on slavery in contrast to Clemson president James P. Clements’ vow to not tolerate racism “in any form.”

“As students, alumni, faculty, staff, friends, and fans of Clemson University and the Calhoun Honors College, we demand that the University — without further delays or excuses — remove John C. Calhoun’s name from one of our most distinguished academic programs. Calhoun, who on the floor of the U.S. Senate advocated for the expansion of slavery as a “positive good,” exemplifies institutional racism and white supremacy.

91954510-fb38-11e9-b6f3-a186c2a0b743

DeAndre Hopkins supported a petition calling for the removal of a former U.S. vice president's name at a Clemson program. (Photo by Zach Bolinger/Getty Images)
Why Hopkins doesn’t acknowledge Clemson
Hopkins also linked to the petition on his Instagram page while explaining that the school’s continued use of Calhoun’s name is the reason he doesn’t acknowledge Clemson during pregame introductions on NFL broadcasts. Instead, Hopkins names Daniel High School, his South Carolina alma mater.

“As we watch everything happening in the world, I want to bring up something that has been bothering me for a long time in my community,” Hopkins wrote. “Clemson University still honors the name of well known slave owner and pro-slavery politician John C. Calhoun on its buildings, signs and in the name of its honors program. I felt this oppressive figure during my time at Clemson and purposely do not mention the University’s name before NFL games because of it.”

Hopkins played three seasons at Clemson from 2010-12 before the Houston Texans selected him in the first round of the 2013 NFL draft.

This is getting absolutely ridiculous.

Well if they do this they’re gonna have to change the name of every monument, school, or building named after any political leader from this era, because pretty much all of them said something racist. Including the “great emancipator” Abraham Lincoln.

Some of Lincolns notable quotes:

I have no purpose to produce social and political equality between the white and black races. There is a physical difference between the two, which will forever for bid him from living together in perfect equality. -Abe Lincoln

I am in favor of the race in which I belong (white) having the superior position. -Abe Lincoln

I believe the Negro race is inferior to the white race. -Abe Lincoln

My grandma is still alive and I try to ask her about It every chance I get. I need to write it all down. She sensationalizes things though.

definitely need to make legal immigration easier
This is my biggest regret! My grandma raise me & mother always tried to teach! However I did not have patience to listen! Please continue to ask!

I say we go with Black Lives Matter Plaza like they did in DC. Obviously not something that needs to be discussed or voted on, just go with BLM Plaza and call it a day.

1_ kill

2_torture

3-enslave

#2 needs to be torture/rape

Reactions: appalachiatiger
When you name buildings, towns, etc after people, somewhere sometime this person offended someone. There are no perfect people in this world. Some did more wrong that others but none were perfect. Didn’t Martin Luther King cheat on his wife? If so, should I be offended by every street named in his honor? I could go on naming imperfect people but I don’t have enough time for that.

Wonder how many major universities in the South have previous slave owners associated with them? Imagine it is not rare. Certainly did not stop Nuk or DW from attending Clemson. Slavery does not exist in the U.S. today and it was part of American History. Concentrate on what todays environment is like and quit dwelling on the past. Changing names on buildings will not change a thing . It is the environment on campus today that matters and John C Calhoun has no affect on that whatsoever..

This is getting absolutely ridiculous.

Well if they do this they’re gonna have to change the name of every monument, school, or building named after any political leader from this era, because pretty much all of them said something racist. Including the “great emancipator” Abraham Lincoln.

Some of Lincolns notable quotes:

I have no purpose to produce social and political equality between the white and black races. There is a physical difference between the two, which will forever for bid him from living together in perfect equality. -Abe Lincoln

I am in favor of the race in which I belong (white) having the superior position. -Abe Lincoln

I believe the Negro race is inferior to the white race. -Abe Lincoln
You are also cherry picking his quotes and not discussing any where he came out strongly against slavery. He was a politician and wanted to save the union first and said quotes like that to get elected and try and prevent the civil war. Not only was he the great emancipator, He also fought hard to get the amendment passed that gave slaves the right to vote

Reactions: TigerJAC
Frank Howard Field will have to be changed since he called African Americans “Indians” among other things.

We can change Howard’s Rock to the Unity Rock.

Haven’t looked into Littlejohn but I’m sure he or his family were slave owners because of the times. Rename the coliseum.

University definitely needs a name change. Thomas Green was a slaveowner.

Where does the stupidity end?
That’s the problem. This kind of ignorance doesn’t end. I just don’t think they understand the big picture here. Smh.

Just change the damn name and let’s move on from all this

There is no advantage to keeping it . I really wish they’d change the name of Tillman to old main too . There would really only be a positive impact.

While that may be the easy way out, it doesn't end there. The group pushing this wants to change everything (building, street, monument, etc.) that is named after a Civil war general, and any other person involved in slavery. Say goodbye stone carving of Gen. Robert E. Lee on the horse on Stone Mountain in Georgia. That's on the list too! What is next? Presidents who had slaves? George Washington had 317 slaves. Thomas Jefferson had 600 + slaves. James Madison had 100 + slaves. James Monroe had 75. Andrew Jackson 200. Martin Van Buren 1, William Henry Harrison 11. John Tyler 70. James K. Polk 25. Zachary Taylor 150. Andrew Johnson 8. Ulysses S. Grant 1.

Imagine removing everything with their names on it??? I'm sure quite a few vice presidents would be in there too. Where does it end, or does it end?

I just checked to see my name line 3rd-great grandfather had 3 slaves. Should I remove him from my tree since he is a racist?

Ben Tillman did have one good quality - a deep, almost pathological hatred of anything associated with the University of South Carolina. I think he closed it down while governor.

So I think we have a solution that might make everyone happy. Imagine the scene - you are new to campus for orientation, all full of excitement, and when you arrive, a very polite gentleman (or lady) tells you:

"Welcome to Clemson. Please prepare to attend the opening session of orientation at the auditorium of Gamecocks Suck Donkey Balls Hall."

South Carolina was named after a king who supported slavery. We should rename the state and U of SC.

Can I pick the new name for USuCk?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT