ADVERTISEMENT

Hopkins and Watson go all in to remove John C Calhoun

I'm afraid of how quickly this will snowball. Fact is that almost everything in the south has some connection to some rich old white guy who likely owned slaves because of cash crops being the means to wealth in the south. What would we call the University if there is a petition to change the name of Clemson because Thomas Green Clemson owned slaves?

Surely that will come up at some point if this continues to escalate.

Last edited:
Frank Howard Field will have to be changed since he called African Americans “Indians” among other things.

We can change Howard’s Rock to the Unity Rock.

Haven’t looked into Littlejohn but I’m sure he or his family were slave owners because of the times. Rename the coliseum.

University definitely needs a name change. Thomas Green was a slaveowner.

Where does the stupidity end?

Frank Howard Field will have to be changed since he called African Americans “Indians” among other things.

We can change Howard’s Rock to the Unity Rock.

Haven’t looked into Littlejohn but I’m sure he or his family were slave owners because of the times. Rename the coliseum.

University definitely needs a name change. Thomas Green was a slaveowner.

Where does the stupidity end?

the catch is all these so called slave owners were good people that were misguided by the times.

each one did amazing things for their communities to make us to what we are today.

life aint half bad.

even for blacks.

so what if you never ended up the offspring of a slave in AMerica, imagine being in Africa with no air-conditioning today.

yahoo_SPORTS_Light.png

DeAndre Hopkins doesn't name Clemson in player intros because of slavery advocate associated with school

Jason Owens

June 8, 2020, 9:02 PM EDT

0:58
3:55

Veteran Nate Boyer: Taking a knee wasn’t disrespectful until “I saw the knee on George Floyd’s neck”

As nationwide protests demand a shift in American race relations, DeAndre Hopkins and Deshaun Watson are using the moment to call for change at their former college.

They used their platforms to advocate for the removal of a slave supporter’s name at an honors building at Clemson on Monday. They tweeted a petition started by Clemson student Roann Abdeladl demanding the removal of former U.S. Vice President John C. Calhoun’s name from the school’s Calhoun Honors College.

Deandre Hopkins

✔@DeAndreHopkins

Clemson University still honors the name of slave owner John C. Calhoun on its buildings, signs, and in the name of its honors program. I am joining the voices of the students and faculty to restarted this petition to rename the Calhoun Honors College. http://tinyurl.com/calhounpetition

5:21 PM - Jun 8, 2020
Twitter Ads info and privacy

749 people are talking about this

Deshaun Watson

✔@deshaunwatson

Clemson University should not honor slave owner John C. Calhoun in any way. His name should be removed from all University property and programming. I am joining the students, faculty & DeAndre to restart this petition to rename the Calhoun Honors College.http://tinyurl.com/calhounpetition

Sign the Petition
Rename the Calhoun Honors College at Clemson University

change.org

9:24 PM - Jun 8, 2020

924 people are talking about this

Calhoun’s push for slavery in U.S. government
Calhoun served as the seventh vice president of the United States from 1825-32 and also represented South Carolina in the U.S. House of Representatives and Senate. He was a slave owner and staunch advocate of slavery.

“Slavery is indispensable to a republican government,” Calhoun is quoted as saying.

The petition points to Calhoun’s stance on slavery in contrast to Clemson president James P. Clements’ vow to not tolerate racism “in any form.”

“As students, alumni, faculty, staff, friends, and fans of Clemson University and the Calhoun Honors College, we demand that the University — without further delays or excuses — remove John C. Calhoun’s name from one of our most distinguished academic programs. Calhoun, who on the floor of the U.S. Senate advocated for the expansion of slavery as a “positive good,” exemplifies institutional racism and white supremacy.

91954510-fb38-11e9-b6f3-a186c2a0b743

DeAndre Hopkins supported a petition calling for the removal of a former U.S. vice president's name at a Clemson program. (Photo by Zach Bolinger/Getty Images)
Why Hopkins doesn’t acknowledge Clemson
Hopkins also linked to the petition on his Instagram page while explaining that the school’s continued use of Calhoun’s name is the reason he doesn’t acknowledge Clemson during pregame introductions on NFL broadcasts. Instead, Hopkins names Daniel High School, his South Carolina alma mater.

“As we watch everything happening in the world, I want to bring up something that has been bothering me for a long time in my community,” Hopkins wrote. “Clemson University still honors the name of well known slave owner and pro-slavery politician John C. Calhoun on its buildings, signs and in the name of its honors program. I felt this oppressive figure during my time at Clemson and purposely do not mention the University’s name before NFL games because of it.”

Hopkins played three seasons at Clemson from 2010-12 before the Houston Texans selected him in the first round of the 2013 NFL draft.
Hopkins is lucky that everybody at Clemson looked the other way at the things he was involved in while he was there.

I love Clemson and the state of SC, but there’s no doubt we have a bunch of ignorant racist fuqs in our midst. Just look at this thread. Sheezeee

Anybody that disagrees with liberal idiocy isn’t necessarily a racist. I’m just against nonsense from a side that will never be satisfied. The more you cave the less satisfied they are and want more.

Just seems strange that you'd change Calhoun before you'd change Tillman. Tillman was a bad guy.

Who didn't own slaves back then? All of our "forefathers" did. I bet DW Daniel's father or grandfather had some slaves.

Thomas Green Clemson married a slave-owner's daughter. Change the name to Dabo University if appeases people.
Ben Tillman was just an asshole. I don't know if he ever owned a slave unless it was a gift. He was in his teens when the civil war ended and he enlisted at the very end of the war but never served.

yahoo_SPORTS_Light.png

DeAndre Hopkins doesn't name Clemson in player intros because of slavery advocate associated with school

Jason Owens

June 8, 2020, 9:02 PM EDT

0:58
3:55

Veteran Nate Boyer: Taking a knee wasn’t disrespectful until “I saw the knee on George Floyd’s neck”

As nationwide protests demand a shift in American race relations, DeAndre Hopkins and Deshaun Watson are using the moment to call for change at their former college.

They used their platforms to advocate for the removal of a slave supporter’s name at an honors building at Clemson on Monday. They tweeted a petition started by Clemson student Roann Abdeladl demanding the removal of former U.S. Vice President John C. Calhoun’s name from the school’s Calhoun Honors College.

Deandre Hopkins

✔@DeAndreHopkins

Clemson University still honors the name of slave owner John C. Calhoun on its buildings, signs, and in the name of its honors program. I am joining the voices of the students and faculty to restarted this petition to rename the Calhoun Honors College. http://tinyurl.com/calhounpetition

5:21 PM - Jun 8, 2020

749 people are talking about this

Deshaun Watson

✔@deshaunwatson

Clemson University should not honor slave owner John C. Calhoun in any way. His name should be removed from all University property and programming. I am joining the students, faculty & DeAndre to restart this petition to rename the Calhoun Honors College.http://tinyurl.com/calhounpetition

Sign the Petition
Rename the Calhoun Honors College at Clemson University

change.org

9:24 PM - Jun 8, 2020

924 people are talking about this

Calhoun’s push for slavery in U.S. government
Calhoun served as the seventh vice president of the United States from 1825-32 and also represented South Carolina in the U.S. House of Representatives and Senate. He was a slave owner and staunch advocate of slavery.

“Slavery is indispensable to a republican government,” Calhoun is quoted as saying.

The petition points to Calhoun’s stance on slavery in contrast to Clemson president James P. Clements’ vow to not tolerate racism “in any form.”

“As students, alumni, faculty, staff, friends, and fans of Clemson University and the Calhoun Honors College, we demand that the University — without further delays or excuses — remove John C. Calhoun’s name from one of our most distinguished academic programs. Calhoun, who on the floor of the U.S. Senate advocated for the expansion of slavery as a “positive good,” exemplifies institutional racism and white supremacy.

91954510-fb38-11e9-b6f3-a186c2a0b743

DeAndre Hopkins supported a petition calling for the removal of a former U.S. vice president's name at a Clemson program. (Photo by Zach Bolinger/Getty Images)
Why Hopkins doesn’t acknowledge Clemson
Hopkins also linked to the petition on his Instagram page while explaining that the school’s continued use of Calhoun’s name is the reason he doesn’t acknowledge Clemson during pregame introductions on NFL broadcasts. Instead, Hopkins names Daniel High School, his South Carolina alma mater.

“As we watch everything happening in the world, I want to bring up something that has been bothering me for a long time in my community,” Hopkins wrote. “Clemson University still honors the name of well known slave owner and pro-slavery politician John C. Calhoun on its buildings, signs and in the name of its honors program. I felt this oppressive figure during my time at Clemson and purposely do not mention the University’s name before NFL games because of it.”

Hopkins played three seasons at Clemson from 2010-12 before the Houston Texans selected him in the first round of the 2013 NFL draft.

Not slamming on Hopkins for this, but I don't believe this is why he started naming Daniel High School. If this was the reason, he'd have said so years ago I would hope. It may be the "new reason" he is doing it but I don't think this is the original reason.

Doesn't really change anything but just my opinion.

Last edited:
Just change the damn name and let’s move on from all this

To really open the conversation to renaming let’s change Washington and Jefferson from DC names and oh by the way because Lincoln submitted an amendment to guarentee slavery and let’s not stop there let’s go through all of history and change all the names of any person who was involved the last 3000 years in slavery including the many Africans who slave traded their own brothers and sisters for cheap goods from the Europeans

Let’s All own our culpability

Reactions: CUD
I've never owned a slave. My family came from poor Irish railroad workers who migrated to Augusta in the 1850s. Leave my University alone. Do you really think Nuk is going to all of a sudden love us because we bow to BLM? Hell he once said he didn't mention CU in his NFL intros because college football was a ponzu scheme built on players backs. And he left Clemson early because Dabo tried to stop him from going pro was so we could win a Championship his senior year. Fxxx Nuk. He's not even a graduate of our school. Are they going to change the name of the NFL because poor Nuk is treated like a "slave" and has to accept $30 million dollars per year to catch a football? His words not mine.

Sir, sorry, my ancestors were Negro Slaves in the Great State Of SC!

I suggest we research back and all people including the black men who owned slaves have their names stripped from history

Slavery by every race against their own race and other races and ethnicities was no way acceptable

over history it happened

we as a people need to look forward to making the world better using the memories of where we came from as a guide. And reference

Some of the comments ITT shows why changed is needed. John C Calhoun Honors college was named in 1981. Think about that. There are plenty of spots on campus that discuss John C Calhouns life and connection to the university. Change the name to maybe an actual student and graduate like Harvey Gantt. Nobody said tear down the Calhoun house they are saying change a name that was put on a building 100 years after the man has been dead. It's similar to Confederate statues being erected Decades after civil war ended.

when will all this ever end? I'm ok with changing a name if that would be it but no way it ends there. As others have mentioned unfortunately our countries history is rooted in racism. History should be taught and try to better our society from it and hope for a better future.

Not slamming on Hopkins for this, but I don't believe this is why he started naming Daniel High School. If this was the reason, he'd have said so years ago I would hope. It may be the "new reason" he is doing it but I don't think this is the original reason.

Doesn't really change anything but just my opinion.

Agreed. This seems like revisionist history to me.

I was in the honors college in the mid 90’s, and I really doubt many non-honors students even knew the official name. That being said, I have no problem with them renaming it.

Hopkins seems like a smart guy that is pretty "deep thinking" on a lot of issues, but he's also one that will turn an issue to him if he thinks he can get some publicity. I'm not saying he doesn't believe in the cause to change the name, but it does seem very opportunistic and a change from previous statements. There is certainly a pattern to his inconsistency.

He's had at least 3 reasons why he doesn't say Clemson
1) College Football is a ponzi scheme
2) Doesn't want to limit his upbringing to 1 day a week "My whole family grew up in Clemson. That city mean more to me than just one day out the week." (tweet has since been deleted...but from 2016)
3) Wanted to support DW Daniel High School....yet essentially called the Principal a racist. "These guys are calling me this name, what should I do,' " Hopkins said. "And the principal was a white guy and he said: 'Get used to it, you're going to deal with it your whole life.'"

This week he's said he chose #10 because his cousin spent 10 years in jail for drugs.

Last year he said he picked #10 because of Lionel Messi and their "underdog mentality."

I'm afraid of how quickly this will snowball. Fact is that almost everything in the south has some connection to some rich old white guy who likely owned slaves because of cash crops being the means to wealth in the south. What would we call the University if there is a petition to change the name of Clemson because Thomas Green Clemson owned slaves?

The issue I have is where will it end? We’d be changing names, etc for a very long time. I think some of these guys that take issue with this need to understand the positives they’ve gotten from Clemson. The positive influences Clemson and football have made on their lives far outweighs any negatives or hurt they feel because of the name of a building or honors college. Times were completely different back then, and just because Calhoun Or Tillman owned slaves doesn’t mean racism should be associated with that school or building today. These two also wouldn’t be where they are today without Calhoun. In fact, I think it even says even more about positive change that they were accepted into Clemson and have excelled on and off the field despite the fact Calhoun and Tillman didn’t see blacks as equal citizens to whites.

Reactions: armoloyse
Change the names. If the current names make someone feel marginalized, then it's worth changing them. Don't do it to satisfy one person, do it because it's the right thing to do.

I can actually understand and somewhat support renaming Tillman but don't understand going after John C. Calhoun.

He was Vice President of the US. The school was built on his plantation.

It was sorta ballsy for his son-in-law in law, who inherited the property, to name it after himself - Clemson. In fact it could have easily been named Calhoun College, instead of Clemson.

If you start getting rid of the Calhoun name you aren't far away from saying Washington, Jefferson, and virtually every other early American leader has to go too.

As for DW Daniel, appears he taught at Clemson for nearly 50 years -- at a time when black students would have been legally barred from attending Clemson. Guess his name is going to have to go as well and Nuk needs to stop glorifying it on TV.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/D._W._Daniel_High_School

Last edited:
4% of southerners owned slaves.

if those slaves had not been purchased, they would have been killed.

without slavery, many African origin humans would have been exterminated.

slavery is absolutely the second most horrible thing, no third, you can do to a human being.

1_ kill

2_torture

3-enslave

It will definitely come up - if not during this episode, then down the road at some point. That is a tough one to address for sure

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT