ADVERTISEMENT

If you doubt the existence of God,

Being someone who strongly believes in science and who also does not believe that in any way it contradicts God's word or disproves the existence of God, here is my answer.

Someone referenced Roman's 1:20 appropriately. Here is what it says:

"For since the creation of the world God’s invisible qualities—his eternal power and divine nature—have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that people are without excuse."

In a nut shell, what this passage says to me is the evidence of intelligent creation is all around us. And the more we understand the beauty and complexity of the universe we live in and how it works, the more we should come to understand His power and his hand in its creation. The more we learn as human beings, the more we should come to understand how truly incredible our God is. Unfortunately, some people think the more we come to understand about His creation, the smarter it makes us and the less we need God to explain it.

If you had never seen a TV before and you found yourself in a room with a TV on the table in front of you and it played something that was broadcast live from halfway around the world, you would no doubt be in awe and who knows what you may believe. Is it magic?

If you had a tool set in that room and you spent days and weeks and years taking it apart piece by piece and reverse engineered exactly how the technology worked and could explain how all of those pieces and parts came together, would you be any less impressed? You would probably be pretty proud of yourself and the fact that YOU had figured it out. Your ego would be pretty big. You have disproved that that TV works on magic and YOU know the secret of how it all comes together and works. But now that you know how it was created, as complicated as it is, have you disproven that someone created it or have you actually proven that it was created by a highly intelligent being, someone far more intelligent than you?

Unfortunately, some people think that if you can show that something isn't magic, and that if you open something up and understand the logical order of the pieces and parts, that it somehow disproves the existence of a creator as well. Too many people think that we only need God if we can't explain something on our own. God is only needed for magic. If we can reverse engineer something and show how it works, we have somehow disproved the intelligent creation behind it when in fact, we have done the opposite. We have proven the extreme intelligence required to put it together in the first place. The intelligence required to create from nothing, with no blueprint, is far beyond what it takes to reverse engineer someone else's creation. Our science just proves, more and more, how intelligent the creator of our universe is.

Does the fact that the inventor of the TV is not in the room make it reasonable to assume that all of those pieces came together in such a perfect way on their own? Does the inventors absence and your new understanding of how that TV works disprove for you that a highly intelligent being was ever involved at all in bringing those pieces together to begin with? Is it reasonable to feel that since you can explain how it works and you know it isn't magic, there is no need to seek out or believe anyone put those steps in motion to bring those pieces together in such a perfect way. Is it reasonable to hypothesize that because we can not see the inventor or talk to him, that there was a big explosion in the room from "something we dont yet understand" and that set everything in perfect motion to create that TV from the pieces and parts in that room. An incredible stroke of luck.

For me, that analogy and those questions analogize where non-believers go wrong with science. Many non believers think that if someone can figure out how things came together in nature and how they work that they have somehow disproved the existence of God at all. If you can break something down and explain how it works, you have shown it isnt magic and therefore you don't need God anymore. For them God is magic or nothing. Understanding how something was created does not disprove the existence of its creator. In the TV analogy above it seems like a pretty crazy leap to think that noone really invented that TV at all now that YOU can explain how it works.

Understanding how something works and how it came to be (which is what science does) does not disprove that there is an amazing, unimaginably intelligent guiding force behind all of the creations we behold on a daily basis. There is a big difference in reverse engineering something and engineering it from nothing with nothing. As smart as we think we are when we figure out some small piece of some small thing within the vast universe, all we are doing is reverse engineering the works of an enormously more intelligent and powerful creator. Just as the man who figured out how that TV works did not disprove the fact that a highly intelligent man somewhere invented it, our science does not disprove the existence of God. In both cases what they speak to is how necessary and how intelligent and purposeful the creator behind the TV, or our universe, are.

There are a lot of ignorant Christian's out there who do a lot to make non-believers think that you cant believe in science and believe in God. Some Christian's are scared that the science community and their advances in knowledge somehow try to disprove anything they believe or what the bible says, when what they should be doing is embracing it and using it to better understand what the bible and God is really telling us. The bible is not flawed, I just think man is flawed in his interpretation and translation sometimes. I choose to learn from science and grow in my understanding of how remarkable God is, instead of hide from it while remaining ignorant.

If you are a Christian, I encourage you to embrace science and what it teaches us about God. Be open to changing what you believed yesterday because you have a better understanding based on something you learned today.

Very well stated.

H
That is the claim, not the evidence.

You don't get to say that the existence of the world is evidence for God any more than I get to say that the existence of computers is evidence for the tooth fairy. You actually have to demonstrate a causal link. I'll wait for that....
not sure about the tooth fairy, but the existence of the computer gives evidence for the maker of a computer

Being someone who strongly believes in science and who also does not believe that in any way it contradicts God's word or disproves the existence of God, here is my answer.

"For since the creation of the world God’s invisible qualities—his eternal power and divine nature—have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that people are without excuse."

In a nut shell, what this passage says to me is the evidence of intelligent creation is all around us. And the more we understand the beauty and complexity of the universe we live in and how it works, the more we should come to understand His power and His hand in its creation. The more we learn as human beings, the more we should come to understand how truly incredible our God is. Unfortunately, some people think the more we come to understand about His creation, the smarter it makes us and the less we need God to explain it.

If you had never seen a TV before and you found yourself in a room with a TV on the table in front of you and it played something that was broadcast live from halfway around the world, you would no doubt be in awe and who knows what you may believe. Is it magic?

If you had a tool set in that room and you spent days and weeks and years taking the TV apart piece by piece and reverse engineered exactly how the technology worked and could explain how all of those pieces and parts came together, would you be any less impressed? You would probably be pretty proud of yourself and the fact that YOU had figured it out. Your ego would be pretty big. You have disproved that that TV works on magic and YOU know the secret of how it all comes together and works. But now that you know how it was created and that it isnt "magic", have you disproven that someone created it or have you actually proven that it was created by a highly intelligent being, someone far more intelligent than you? How silly does it seem to think that the inventor of the TV has now been wiped from existence because someone figured out how he created his TV and how it works?

Unfortunately, some people think that if you can show that something isn't magic, and that if you open something up and understand the logical order of the pieces and parts, that it somehow disproves the existence of a creator as well. Too many people think that we only need God if we can't explain something on our own. God is only needed for magic. If we can reverse engineer something and show how it works, we have somehow disproved the intelligent creation behind it when in fact, we have done the opposite. We have proven the extreme intelligence required to put it together in the first place. The intelligence required to create from nothing, with no blueprint, is far beyond what it takes to reverse engineer someone else's creation. Our science just proves, more and more, how intelligent the creator of our universe is.

Does the fact that the inventor of the TV is not in the room make it reasonable to assume that all of those pieces came together in such a perfect way on their own? Does the inventors absence and your new understanding of how that TV works disprove for you that a highly intelligent being was ever involved at all in bringing those pieces together to begin with? Is it reasonable to feel that since you can explain how it works and you know it isn't magic, there is no need to seek out or believe anyone put those steps in motion to bring those pieces together in such a perfect way. Is it reasonable to hypothesize that because we can not see the inventor or talk to him, that there was a big explosion in the room from "something we dont yet understand" and that set everything in perfect motion to create that TV from the pieces and parts in that room. An incredible stroke of luck.

For me, that analogy and those questions analogize where non-believers go wrong with science. Many non believers think that if someone can figure out how things came together in nature and how they work that they have somehow disproved the existence of God at all. If you can break something down and explain how it works, you have shown it isnt magic and therefore you don't need God anymore. For them God is magic or nothing. Understanding how something was created does not disprove the existence of its creator. In the TV analogy above it seems like a pretty crazy leap to think that noone really invented that TV at all now that YOU can explain how it works.

Understanding how something works and how it came to be (which is what science does) does not disprove that there is an amazing, unimaginably intelligent guiding force behind all of the creations we behold on a daily basis. There is a big difference in reverse engineering something and engineering it from nothing with nothing. As smart as we think we are when we figure out some small piece of some small thing within the vast universe, all we are doing is reverse engineering the works of an enormously more intelligent and powerful creator. Just as the man who figured out how that TV works did not disprove the fact that a highly intelligent man somewhere invented it, our science does not disprove the existence of God. In both cases what they speak to is how necessary and how intelligent and purposeful the creator behind the TV, or our universe, are.

There are a lot of ignorant Christian's out there who do a lot to make non-believers think that you cant believe in science and believe in God. Some Christian's are scared that the science community and their advances in knowledge somehow try to disprove anything they believe or what the bible says, when what they should be doing is embracing it and using it to better understand what the bible and God is really telling us. The bible is not flawed, I just think man is flawed in his interpretation and translation sometimes. I choose to learn from science and grow in my understanding of how remarkable God is, instead of hide from it while remaining ignorant.

If you are a Christian, I encourage you to embrace science and what it teaches us about God. Be open to changing what you believed yesterday because you have a better understanding based on something you learned today.
Very cool sir. VERY COOL.

My brother (CU grad) just moved back home from working up there for last 20 years.

We are spending millions to build concrete runways at every Eskimo village up there so they can better get planes into these villages.

One of his contracts was to put in a runway on an island 500 miles out in the Bering Sea.

10 million on a runway for 250 eskimos.

Our tax money went to a 40 million dollar runway just for a Starkist tuna plant.

Against the law for an Eskimo to have any type alcohol. They are all drunks.

No State income tax. Each resident of state receives a dividend check of 2900.00 each year. My brother always walked down to the SPCA chapter in Anchorage and signed the back and handed it to them. Those animals loved to see him coming.

You wont hear or read about it but there are way more deaths from bears killing tourist than you think.

There is so much wrong with this post I don't even know where to begin. Let's start with they are referred to as Native Alaskans. They find it offensive to call them eskimos. Second, they do have a very low tolerance for alcohol like most native American peoples but they are not all drunks. Some village elders do ban alcohol and habitual abusers are excommunicated from the village till they get sober. Most drink themselves to death before that happens though.
All Alaskans get a 'dividend' check from the state oil revenue's trust. The amount depends on a five year snapshot of it's performance. Lean years mean less, prime years more. I have seen as little as 900 per family member and as mush as 2800. Most is used for people to buy fuel and or life essentials.
But you are right about no state income or sales tax. We love our guns because as you mentioned bears and a moose puts meat in the fridge for a family of 6 all winter. We love God because of the beauty we are surrounded with and we love our country as this is a state built on the backs of veterans. They will have to drag my cold frozen hands out of this place but that's just me.

The Grand Canyon gave me the same sense of Gods work. Just incredible awing. You stand on the side of that place and think that little river made that then I don’t know what to tell you. Thanks for sharing!

There is so much wrong with this post I don't even know where to begin. Let's start with they are referred to as Native Alaskans. They find it offensive to call them eskimos. Second, they do have a very low tolerance for alcohol like most native American peoples but they are not all drunks. Some village elders do ban alcohol and habitual abusers are excommunicated from the village till they get sober. Most drink themselves to death before that happens though.
All Alaskans get a 'dividend' check from the state oil revenue's trust. The amount depends on a five year snapshot of it's performance. Lean years mean less, prime years more. I have seen as little as 900 per family member and as mush as 2800. Most is used for people to buy fuel and or life essentials.
But you are right about no state income or sales tax. We love our guns because as you mentioned bears and a moose puts meat in the fridge for a family of 6 all winter. We love God because of the beauty we are surrounded with and we love our country as this is a state built on the backs of veterans. They will have to drag my cold frozen hands out of this place but that's just me.
They are all drunks

Interesting to me how many Christians who see God's handiwork in nature are also the ones whose votes go in direct opposition of protecting the Earth.
I guess they figure that God is going to fix it. I see God's work everywhere except in the White House. That is unless God is some kind of practical joker. Angel: "God, this isn't funny anymore. Surely, you are going to put and end to this." God: "I don't know." "I'm having a good time. Might go another five years or so. If I get tired of it I'll call him home early." Angel: "Geez. He's not coming up here is he?" God: "You're right. Probably not."

I guess they figure that God is going to fix it. I see God's work everywhere except in the White House. That is unless God is some kind of practical joker. Angel: "God, this isn't funny anymore. Surely, you are going to put and end to this." God: "I don't know." "I'm having a good time. Might go another five years or so. If I get tired of it I'll call him home early." Angel: "Geez. He's not coming up here is he?" God: "You're right. Probably not."
i always love it when humans damn another human to hell

are you just being obtuse?

D9OV.gif

Reactions: digitydaz

In a nut shell, what this passage says to me is the evidence of intelligent creation is all around us. And the more we understand the beauty and complexity of the universe we live in and how it works, the more we should come to understand His power and His hand in its creation. The more we learn as human beings about what God has done, the less of an excuse we have to doubt Him. Unfortunately, some people think the more we come to understand about His creation, the smarter it makes us and the less we need God to explain it.

If you had a toolset in that room and you spent days and weeks and years taking the TV apart piece by piece and reverse engineered exactly how the technology worked and could explain how all of those pieces and parts work together, would you be any less impressed? You would probably be pretty proud of yourself and the fact that YOU had figured it out. Your ego would be pretty big. You have disproved that that TV works on magic and YOU know the secret of how it all comes together and works. But now that you know how it was created and that it isnt "magic", have you disproven that someone created it or have you actually proven that it was created by a highly intelligent being, someone far more intelligent than you? How silly does it seem to think that the inventor of the TV has now been wiped from existence because someone figured out how he created his TV and how it works and it is not magic after all?

Unfortunately, some people think that if you can show that something isn't magic, and that if you open something up and find that their is a logical, ingenious order to the pieces and parts, that it somehow disproves the existence of a creator as well. Too many people think that we only need God if we can't explain something on our own. God is only needed for magic and somehow not capable of intelligent and logical creation.

And furthermore, does the fact that the inventor of the TV is not in the room make it reasonable to assume that all of those pieces came together in such a perfect way on their own? Does the inventors absence and your new understanding of how that TV works disprove for you that a highly intelligent being was ever involved at all in bringing those pieces together to begin with? Is it reasonable to hypothesize that because we can not see the inventor of the TV or talk to him, that there was a big explosion in the room from "something we dont yet understand" and that set everything in perfect motion to create the parts and pieces and assemble them into something as incredible as that TV? An incredible stroke of luck.

For me, that analogy and those questions analogize where non-believers go wrong with science. Many non believers think that if someone can figure out how things came together in nature and how they work that they have somehow disproved the existence of God at all. If you can break something down and explain how it works, you have shown it isnt magic and therefore you don't need God anymore. For them God is magic or nothing.

There are a lot of ignorant Christian's out there who do a lot to make non-believers think that you cant believe in science and believe in God. Some Christian's are scared or intimidated by the science community and believe that their advances in knowledge somehow disproves what the bible says, when what they should be doing is embracing it and using it to better understand what the bible and God is really telling us. The bible is not flawed, I just think man is flawed in his interpretation and translation sometimes. I choose to learn from science and grow in my understanding of how remarkable God is, instead of hide from it while remaining ignorant.

If you are a Christian, I encourage you to embrace science and what it teaches us about God. Be open to changing what you believed yesterday if you have a better understanding based on something you learned today.
Bless you, Brother.

Reactions: Cocks are Number 1
would 'like' it more, if I could

go to Alaska. After spending the past ten days in Alaska, it occurred to me that anyone who doubts God really ought to go to Alaska and see Him for yourself. I just do not believe that any open minded person can watch the salmon do what they do and not see God plain as day. Alaska is majestic, pure and simple and her bounty straight up awe-inspiring.

It is one of the most meaningful travel experiences I've had.
Thanks, my man.
Super thread you started.

I wonder why you were moved to do such? :rolleyes:

Yep.

Take care, brother.
Come visit Alaska lite one day soon.

Reactions: tallulahtiger30319
go to Alaska. After spending the past ten days in Alaska, it occurred to me that anyone who doubts God really ought to go to Alaska and see Him for yourself. I just do not believe that any open minded person can watch the salmon do what they do and not see God plain as day. Alaska is majestic, pure and simple and her bounty straight up awe-inspiring.

Alternatively, if you don’t doubt the existence of God, go to Syria...

How can I doubt the existence of the person who is going to send me to hell?
That’s a great question. God doesn’t want to send you to Hell ( 1Tim. 2:4; 2Pet. 3:9 ). He loves you. The earlier reference to Rom. 1:20 was simply that there is sufficient evidence in creation to indicate there is a creator. God desires a relationship with you. He wants you to go to Heaven when you die. He gave His Son to die as a substitutionary sacrifice for your sins ( mine too btw ).He’s given you a free will. If you will exercise your God given choice to put your trust in Jesus as your Lord and Savior, God will forgive you and the threat of Hell will be removed from your life forever. I made the choice to trust Christ 27 years ago. My only regret is ,I wish I had done it sooner.

Outstanding, but if you Ask, He will show His Greatness Where You Are! Thank God for your experience!!! Proverbs 3:5-6!

Reactions: Jwilliamsiii
Well, I should confess, I get choked up by nature quite often. And I'm already a strong believer so it wasn't a big leap for me to make this connection. But.....we were at the mouth of Wolverine Creek watching hordes of salmon make the journey from the ocean preparing themselves to travel up this itty bitty creek to spawn and then die. At the mouth with us were multiple bears doing bear things (eating the salmon who were completely undeterred from their mission.) There was a mama bear and two cubs just chowing down on salmon and though I already knew this in my heart and my head, it occurred to me that only God could orchestrate a dance this beautiful and complete. Again, it's not a big leap for me to make this connection, and I recognize that, but good grief, how do atheists reconcile things like this that obviously required a LOT of design. IDK, Mr. Ballz. maybe it's just me, but Alaska really spoke to me, and I cannot wait to go back.

Oh and you're right about the tap water. Unbelievable.
I wonder if the salmon being eaten believe in god.

H
not sure about the tooth fairy, but the existence of the computer gives evidence for the maker of a computer
No, that’s not the whole story, here’s how it happened. Millions Upon millions of years ago there was a grain of sand. Over time the grain of sand evolved into silicon, then the silicon evolved into the transistor, which in turn evolved into the Micro processor. Which finally evolved into the computer that we have today. Now the mouse, keyboard and monitors were simply mutations, or splits, that occurred somewhere along the evolution process.
Hope this helps.

No it doesn't. Complete nonsense. I know it's designed because I know computers are designed. I know there are computer factories. I know I can Google instructions, buy materials, and make computers all day long. You know what about the design of the universe? Again, I'll wait... Lot of claims made ITT with 0 to back any of it up. If everything does have a maker, then the maker must have a maker. We don't get to argue that a computer has a computer-maker, and so too the computer-maker has a maker, but the computer-maker-maker has no maker. Either it's turtles all the way down, or there is no turtle my friend.

If you can show evidence not only allowing the possibility of an intelligent designer, is the evidence stronger than the evidence pointing to something else? If you can show the evidence for both, does the evidence point to the Christian God? What makes your evidence more convincing for him vs the 1000s of other Gods that have been worshiped by humans in history?

Are you about to become the most famous human in history by demonstrating the above? Are you gonna be the first, out of billions upon billions of people, that solved the great question? I'm rooting for you, but

Nope

You have nothing. But you won't ever admit that. All you have is "faith", aka synonym for lack of evidence. Good for you man, that's okay, I don't care what you believe. I hope it brings you comfort, sincerely. Just don't come on here acting like that is enough to bring to an argument as any sort proof or rationality.

Last edited:

God is alive and well indeed and in control...thanks for the post.

People typically process/experience things through the lens of their own worldview.

If you're an ardent believer, you see the hand of God everywhere, but most profoundly in the beauty of nature.

If you're not, you just appreciate the aesthetic beauty of it and our small place in it all.

That's why pointing to stuff like this as "evidence" is faulty.

This is such a common misconception re: climate change. It gets painted as hippie liberals protecting their earth mother, or some nonsense like that.

The earth is going to be fine.

WE won't be. Climate science isn't about protecting a rock in orbit around the sun. It's directly related to decreasing/preventing human death and suffering, which one would imagine Christians would be all for.

Christians welcome the end of the world. They think they have a golden mansion waiting on them in the clouds

I was there in January 2001, Navy Reserve 2 week active duty with a Marine unit. Bethel and then Eskimo villages along the Yukon and Bering. Dangerously cold. Wolves. Large trucks driving on the river. White outs. Dogsledding.
I wanna go in the summer.

I was there in January 2001, Navy Reserve 2 week active duty with a Marine unit. Bethel and then Eskimo villages along the Yukon and Bering. Dangerously cold. Wolves. Large trucks driving on the river. White outs. Dogsledding.
I wanna go in the summer.

Oh man, Go! Go in the summer. You will LOVE it. I hate the heat/humidity and Alaska was a fantastic reprieve from that.

Reactions: Buzzards Roost
God is alive and well indeed and in control...thanks for the post.
I Love the majority of your post my friend, but as it says in Genesis; God gave man & women control of the world! Yes, The Word States we are in control & why Jesus had to come & etc...Much Love!

Reactions: BigTimeTiger
Christians welcome the end of the world. They think they have a golden mansion waiting on them in the clouds
My Friend; Are you speaking for All Christians, quoting scripture or just providing Your Opinion? Hebrews 11:6!

That’s a great question. God doesn’t want to send you to Hell ( 1Tim. 2:4; 2Pet. 3:9 ). He loves you. The earlier reference to Rom. 1:20 was simply that there is sufficient evidence in creation to indicate there is a creator. God desires a relationship with you. He wants you to go to Heaven when you die. He gave His Son to die as a substitutionary sacrifice for your sins ( mine too btw ).He’s given you a free will. If you will exercise your God given choice to put your trust in Jesus as your Lord and Savior, God will forgive you and the threat of Hell will be removed from your life forever. I made the choice to trust Christ 27 years ago. My only regret is ,I wish I had done it sooner.
& Let The Church Say Amen! God will love us, free moral agents, to the gates of Hell, if We Choose!

I Love the majority of your post my friend, but as it says in Genesis; God gave man & women control of the world! Yes, The Word States we are in control & why Jesus had to come & etc...Much Love!
I believe he gave us free will which would synch up with what you're saying re control I believe.

No it doesn't. Complete nonsense. I know it's designed because I know computers are designed. I know there are computer factories. I know I can Google instructions, buy materials, and make computers all day long. You know what about the design of the universe? Again, I'll wait... Lot of claims made ITT with 0 to back any of it up. If everything does have a maker, then the maker must have a maker. We don't get to argue that a computer has a computer-maker, and so too the computer-maker has a maker, but the computer-maker-maker has no maker. Either it's turtles all the way down, or there is no turtle my friend.

If you can show evidence not only allowing the possibility of an intelligent designer, is the evidence stronger than the evidence pointing to something else? If you can show the evidence for both, does the evidence point to the Christian God? What makes your evidence more convincing for him vs the 1000s of other Gods that have been worshiped by humans in history?

Are you about to become the most famous human in history by demonstrating the above? Are you gonna be the first, out of billions upon billions of people, that solved the great question? I'm rooting for you, but

Nope

You have nothing. But you won't ever admit that. All you have is "faith", aka synonym for lack of evidence. Good for you man, that's okay, I don't care what you believe. I hope it brings you comfort, sincerely. Just don't come on here acting like that is enough to bring to an argument as any sort proof or rationality.
Christ is the proof

No one knows what waits in heaven for those who truly believe in Christ. They are not earthly mansions as you so simply imply. No one can imagine what being in the presence of God is like. Christ described it as something people could relate to at the time hence the term Golden Mansions.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT