ADVERTISEMENT

Interesting conversation on chivalry

Was raised to always give up your seat for a woman, open doors, the whole nine yards... But it’s 2019, and not only do most women not care about such gestures, a lot of them will be offended

Like the poster said above, it’s about respect. I used to do it a lot, even for men in some occasions just out of general kindness and manner. People, women mostly, who get angry by it are disingenuously misinterpreting your motives. They know full well it’s simply a nice gesture, but we live in a culture where everyone is outraged by something... Frustrating, but what do you do

But yeah, elderly folks and handicapped folks, always give it up, no questions asked.

A girl that I courted at Clemson once gave a speech in class titled "Chivalry is Not Dead" based on my pursuit of her.

I was proud of that but it got me nowhere.

Reactions: Pvilletigerfan
I hold the door for basically everyone and would give up my seat to someone who looks like they need it more than me. A person's gender doesn't enter the equation.

Exact same way, but giving it up because an able bodied perfectly fit 30 year old female comes around? Lol that is so dumb.

They can have equal rights, equal pay, and still have my seat, the chair pulled out, the door held open.

I’ll offer my seat to a pregnant woman or an older woman. But a young able bodied woman can keep standing for all I care. As far as I’m concerned her and I both equally don’t need the seat. I have it, she doesn’t.

Offering your seat is an indictment on you and how you were raised, not on her.

I've been chastised for holding the door open for progressive women who "don't need a man to hold the door open" for them. I still did it and then went on my merry way. I was pleasant and she was pissed.

I've gotten chastised for calling younger women "ma'am". I offered a sign of respect, they can reject it and get grumpy about it, it's no skin off my nose.

Offering your seat is an indictment on you and how you were raised, not on her.

I've been chastised for holding the door open for progressive women who "don't need a man to hold the door open" for them. I still did it and then went on my merry way. I was pleasant and she was pissed.

I've gotten chastised for calling younger women "ma'am". I offered a sign of respect, they can reject it and get grumpy about it, it's no skin off my nose.

It's interesting that you consider chivalry to be a sign of respect but don't seem to care if some people find it disrespectful. Sort of seems to miss the point.

To be clear, you're not the only person in this thread who has said this. But I do think it's absurd for someone who "sees the value respect" to relish aggravating people.

Reactions: Houston772
I think you're missing the point.

You offer respect and what that other person does with it is up to them. The result isn't up to me, only the offering. The best part is they have done nothing to deserve it, I offer it freely.

I don't relish aggravating people, but the few instances where it has been rejected stand out. The point is chivalry is considering others more than yourself.

I think you're missing the point.

You offer respect and what that other person does with it is up to them. The result isn't up to me, only the offering. The best part is they have done nothing to deserve it, I offer it freely.

I don't relish aggravating people, but the few instances where it has been rejected stand out. The point is chivalry is considering others more than yourself.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but chivalry is ultimately about being polite. Politeness is about being considerate to other people. You're not being polite if you're not considering the other person's reaction.

In the South, men are chivalrous.
We protect and take care of our women at all costs.
Yankees are heathens.

This shit is nonsense.... I was raised like this in New York. I did it there, did it in the South and still do it today in SoCal.

And most people appreciated it in all those places. I can’t speak for the current market outside of Southern California but most people still appreciate it in the places I roam.

While we’re on this topic let it be known that when courteously letting cars into the roadway from Popeyes at peak lunch while holding up traffic you can only let out one car. Pat yourself on the back and move on. Don’t let out a line of cars unless it’s a funeral or if no one is behind you being victimized by your virtue.

Similarly an entrance ramp on the highway in heavy traffic functions optimally as a zipper...let one car in and go.

I’ll offer my seat to a pregnant woman or an older woman. But a young able bodied woman can keep standing for all I care. As far as I’m concerned her and I both equally don’t need the seat. I have it, she doesn’t. But a woman who is pregnant or older is going to be much more uncomfortable standing or have more difficulty doing so.

Your Dad failed you ...

While on vacation this week we took a shuttle bus late one night that was jammed packed, so I asked my 12 year old to get up and give his seat to a lady nearby (I was already standing).

I was dumbfounded at the number of men who stayed seated while women including older ones stood. I mentioned all the standing to my wife, and her comment was, “well if women want equal rights and equal pay, they should get used to it.” I was shocked by this, but she’s not really wrong.

I guess I was raised differently, and my mother would have just given me a look when I went to sit down. That would have ended that really quickly.

What says the TI crowd? Let ‘em sit or let ‘em stand?
I was raised the same way...I’m having fun in Europe holding open doors for these young women. Some are appreciative (Italy), some could care less (France).

People who boo opposing teams making their entrance are classless.

I don't boo opposing teams...unless they are trash. That is why I will boo UofSCjr any chance I get. I'm actually in my house right now, just booing, very loudly (and my neighbors are looking), because I am simply thinking about that team. It is like a gut reaction, like vomiting, can't control it.

Here it comes again in typed form...BOOOOOOO. Man I hate those gamecocks. Boooooooo. BOOOOO.

Chivalry and equal rights aren’t mutually exclusive.

I can still hold the truck door for my wife etc while expecting she’s paid the same for her job as a man is compensated the same job.

I’ll offer my seat to a pregnant woman or an older woman. But a young able bodied woman can keep standing for all I care. As far as I’m concerned her and I both equally don’t need the seat. I have it, she doesn’t. But a woman who is pregnant or older is going to be much more uncomfortable standing or have more difficulty doing so.

I’m still on the fence about the fact that your either a total ass/clown or complete troll on TI.

Either way, I don’t understand your logic.

So, I understand why giving up your seat to a woman in..say...the 1950s was the correct play. Men were treated as superior and, for the most part, had more opportunities, thus those that needed protecting (elderly and women) would be cared for. That's not really the case today though.

IMO you give up your seat to an older gentleman before a young woman.

I knew this would be your response. I actually looked for it and you never disappoint. I taught my son differently.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but chivalry is ultimately about being polite. Politeness is about being considerate to other people. You're not being polite if you're not considering the other person's reaction.
No, you can't control other people's reaction but opening doors, saying maam or sir is a sign of politeness - no matter what the reaction will be. You're a polite person, not a mind reader.

If the other person can't see that, then they are actually the one with the problem. And, you should not change what is really your character for the few who are too dumb or crazy to see that.

John, if you’ve ever seen what a woman has to go through in pregnancy (and after) you’d give up your seat to any woman under the assumption that she may be pregnant in the future or has been in the past.

GK Chesterton says it well below.

In the matter of reforming things, as distinct from deforming them, there is one plain and simple principle; a principle which will probably be called a paradox. There exists in such a case a certain institution or law; let us say, for the sake of simplicity, a fence or gate erected across a road. The more modern type of reformer goes gaily up to it and says, "I don't see the use of this; let us clear it away." To which the more intelligent type of reformer will do well to answer: "If you don't see the use of it, I certainly won't let you clear it away. Go away and think. Then, when you can come back and tell me that you do see the use of it, I may allow you to destroy it."

Yeah, John, but what if she’s hot?

I think a man should offer. And an able bodied woman should decline. I agree with one poster that one should offer their seat to anyone who seems to need it worse than you. However, as my back has given out on me in the past year I am now one who NEEDS the seat. But, by all appearances I would also seem like an ass hole.

Men should always give up their seat to a female. Holding the door doe anyone is a lost art today. Grocery lines. If you have a buggy full and the person behind you has a few items let them go ahead of you. It is not too hard. I will say this though. You gotta be careful. A few years back I was in a bar and offered a female my place in line to get a drink. She went straight to "hitting on her" and made a scene. But I will take that chance because I was raised that way.
Agree with all of this. You’re right that you have to watch out these days. Some women just think too highly of themselves. I’ve opened doors for women and been told “you wish” as they walked by. Was at Lowe’s the other day and was at the outdoor checkout center. It was busy and both lines were open. There was a young couple in one line when I got there and I got in the other line. My line was moving faster because of some slow person in front of them. So, when it came time for me to checkout, they were in the same spot. No one was behind me at that point and I could see the frustration on the faces. While it’s not chivalrous to do so, I just kindly offered them to go in front of me. The girl said thanks, but you know I’m with him, right? I said of course. She said, okay, just wanted to make sure you weren’t starting something that wasn’t going to happen. I looked at the guy and he said thanks man and quickly realized he knew he was with a psycho so I let it go. I did say, listen lady, I’m 45 with two kids and a wife of over 20 years. I’m at a Lowe’s at 8 am on a Saturday. This isn’t a guy that has any ulterior motives.

Agree with all of this. You’re right that you have to watch out these days. Some women just think too highly of themselves. I’ve opened doors for women and been told “you wish” as they walked by. Was at Lowe’s the other day and was at the outdoor checkout center. It was busy and both lines were open. There was a young couple in one line when I got there and I got in the other line. My line was moving faster because of some slow person in front of them. So, when it came time for me to checkout, they were in the same spot. No one was behind me at that point and I could see the frustration on the faces. While it’s not chivalrous to do so, I just kindly offered them to go in front of me. The girl said thanks, but you know I’m with him, right? I said of course. She said, okay, just wanted to make sure you weren’t starting something that wasn’t going to happen. I looked at the guy and he said thanks man and quickly realized he knew he was with a psycho so I let it go. I did say, listen lady, I’m 45 with two kids and a wife of over 20 years. I’m at a Lowe’s at 8 am on a Saturday. This isn’t a guy that has any ulterior motives.
Man good on you for sure.

Reactions: clemsonu96
While on vacation this week we took a shuttle bus late one night that was jammed packed, so I asked my 12 year old to get up and give his seat to a lady nearby (I was already standing).

I was dumbfounded at the number of men who stayed seated while women including older ones stood. I mentioned all the standing to my wife, and her comment was, “well if women want equal rights and equal pay, they should get used to it.” I was shocked by this, but she’s not really wrong.

I guess I was raised differently, and my mother would have just given me a look when I went to sit down. That would have ended that really quickly.

What says the TI crowd? Let ‘em sit or let ‘em stand?
i was raised the same way i am 47 now and still carry those traditions my parents instilled in me i open all doors for women and elderly people, if i know them or not i say yes mam and no sir i will give up my seat not just to women but to elderly people and hell even to just lazy over weight people yes women want equal rights ,wages,prestige,and rest i believe they should have that and a little extra something called " CHIVALRY" dont worry even this will be slowly wiped out by the dreaded " MILINIELLS"

I hold the door for basically everyone and would give up my seat to someone who looks like they need it more than me. A person's gender doesn't enter the equation.
giphy.gif

Reactions: CU12341234
And how do you feel about the people treating you like that? I tend to think better of the ones who are good hosts and can have a reasonable conversation about the game.

I don’t think that was his point. The point is the emotion in college football as evidenced by those actions makes the sport what it is.

In the South, men are chivalrous.
We protect and take care of our women at all costs.
Yankees are heathens.
Lololol typical redneck. Let me guess, book learnin is for devilish libs?
I’m still on the fence about the fact that your either a total ass/clown or complete troll on TI.

Either way, I don’t understand your logic.
It’s all about a person’s need. It’s not hard. A young woman doesn’t need the seat any more than I do.
John, if you’ve ever seen what a woman has to go through in pregnancy (and after) you’d give up your seat to any woman under the assumption that she may be pregnant in the future or has been in the past.
You expect me to give a woman my seat because she may have either given birth 10 years ago or will give birth in 10 years? Yeah right.
Yeah, John, but what if she’s hot?
Then I let her keep standing so I can properly ogle her

Reactions: clemsonu96
So we have to either be mind readers or communicate with the person before trying to be polite? Awesome, now I have to ask someone if they are going to be offended before holding the door for them. The Curb Your Enthusiasm episode has become real life

Reactions: CU12341234
Wait, you walk around and open her door after parking a car? And I don’t mean on special occasions like anniversaries, weddings, etc.

I’m just curious and only asking, but I don’t understand that.

No, only entering the car. I never thought about having her sit and wait for me to come around and open her door... Should I?

It's interesting that you consider chivalry to be a sign of respect but don't seem to care if some people find it disrespectful. Sort of seems to miss the point.

To be clear, you're not the only person in this thread who has said this. But I do think it's absurd for someone who "sees the value respect" to relish aggravating people.

If the person offered respect is offended by kindness it would be far less than the shame my parents and grandparents would have felt had I not offered.

So we have to either be mind readers or communicate with the person before trying to be polite? Awesome, now I have to ask someone if they are going to be offended before holding the door for them. The Curb Your Enthusiasm episode has become real life

No, you don't have to be a mind reader and if you upset someone it's not the end of the world. But if you refuse to alter your behavior out of consideration for others, you're not actually being polite. If a specific person tells you they don't want to be called ma'am and you do it anyway, you're not demonstrating respect (for example).

If the person offered respect is offended by kindness it would be far less than the shame my parents and grandparents would have felt had I not offered.

Sounds like it's really not about consideration towards strangers, doesn't it?

No, only entering the car. I never thought about having her sit and wait for me to come around and open her door... Should I?

Please, no. Lol

Yeah the entering the car is one thing. I’ve seen women waiting for their husband to come around and open the door before. I thought that was a bit too much.

Reactions: WillRopeCrush
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT