ADVERTISEMENT

Interesting conversation on chivalry

Sounds like it's really not about consideration towards strangers, doesn't it?

No, consideration of others is a societal good taught by parents. The fact that an individual "may" not appreciate an offer, which could not have been known prior to an offer ( by the way many still do appreciate it), does not make it wrong. In cases where it is obvious that offense would be taken, no consideration is due- that would be disrespectful. In those cases where an individual chooses to be offended, rather than simply ignore any consideration, I weigh the slight chance of their being truly offended to the absolute disapproval of myself/parents/grandparents for not at least offering.

No different than lying- there are societal norms that are taught by parents that many in our society today do not value- including many in high places. Adherence to societal norms are what define each of us. That does not make them wrong, many continue to do what is right because that is what they were taught.

I have had the privilege of having an outstanding upbringing that taught certain values that I hold dear- consideration of others, taking care of the less fortunate, respect, honesty, integrity, hard work and sacrifice for principles. These define who I am and what I respect in other people. I make no apologies for any of those traits.

You expect me to give a woman my seat because she may have either given birth 10 years ago or will give birth in 10 years? Yeah right.

Then I let her keep standing so I can properly ogle her
Yes, I do. And if you were my son, I’d kick your ass.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but chivalry is ultimately about being polite. Politeness is about being considerate to other people. You're not being polite if you're not considering the other person's reaction.

I'm not building a relationship with them. I'm committed to this process for as long as it takes them to enter through the open door I've provided or to stop, and say "no thank you", which is also polite, and would not offend me in the least.

Either way we're not getting emotions involved with this process.

What would you do in the situation I offered above?

I held the door open (being polite) she didn't appreciate it and verbalized it.
Would you...
A) jump in front of her, go through the door and close it behind you?
B) apologize for offending her?
C) continue to leave the door open for her since she was going through it, then go on your merry way?
D) Other (please explain)

I am 65, but don't care, I will always get up to let a female or elderly person sit and I am stunned by those that don't. We could all use a little more kindness in this world

Speaking of kindness, I don't boo the visiting team when they come out (seats are on visitors side), especially some lesser team that is there to get a check. I have been to a lot of away games over the years and certainly enjoy it more when their fans are pleasant (like Auburn).

LOL, I had something like this happen to me the other day. I'm on the north side of 50 now. I stopped by the vet to grab some of their urinary health food for my cats. It comes in a 25lb bag. This little tiny thing (she looked about 12, but I suppose she was in high school), comes bouncing out with the bag over her shoulder. She then asks me if I want help getting the bag to the car.

I told her maybe in 20 years, but right now it would be a cold day in hell before I walked to my car with my hands in my pocket while a young woman carries my stuff. Not happening.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT