ADVERTISEMENT

Is the “Gubment Shutdown” affecting you?

Some of you should take the time to read the Michael Lewis book “The Fifth Risk”. Most on this board won’t be able to get past the politics of it because it slams the Trump administration for not being ready to take over day to day operation of the government and appointing people unqualified for many of the jobs. What they really should take away from the book is all the things the Federal Government handles that no other group could or would handle. For example, the Dept of Energy spends something like $10-$15 billion dollars per year just to maintain/store the millions of gallons of nuclear waste at the Hanford facility in Washington state where virtually all of our nuclear weapons were built between WW2 and the 1980’s. If they stop and it fails it will be an environmental catastrophe. Many other agencies in the government have other important responsibilities that nobody outside that agency understands. TSA and FDA are more examples. There is tons of waste and duplication in the Federal Government, but we really should understand what we are wanting to get rid of it before we get rid of it.

I used to work at Savannah River Site. There is over 40 million gallons of high level salt waste in underground tanks there. Just as much or more than the Hanford Site. They are double walled. The waste will be just fine during the shutdown and for decades. Besides, they don't ever get rid of it because they are too busy getting in their own way.

The hardest hit are the tens of thousands of contract workers who aren’t getting paid now and won’t be getting any back pay when the Govt starts up.

Also, they better figure something out before the end of February, because that’s when the food stamp money runs out and it gets real...

The scary part is, we are hearing from staffers on the Hill and the White House, from both sides of the isle, that they see no way for this to end and that they are privately fearing that a major catastrophe happening (terror strike, plane crash, outbreak, etc) will be the only thing to bring both sides together.

Reactions: 1Clemson
Nancy Pelosi and Chuck Schumer are doing a great job. I'm glad they are still running the show for the dems. Her getting the house was the best prize trump could get. Outside of winning the presidency of course

Oh no you didn't. Two biggest commie bastards in the government.

Glad Trump cut corporate taxes and started drilling in ANWR. Also glad he killed Obama's Natural Gas power plan

Reactions: TigerGrowls
Oh no you didn't. Two biggest commie bastards in the government.

Glad Trump cut corporate taxes and started drilling in ANWR. Also glad he killed Obama's Natural Gas power plan

They aren't communists, and he's being facetious. Keep up.

I was a government employee for 39 years. Now retired. I will soon see if it will affect retirement checks? I've gone through several shutdowns by both parties. Never anything this long, but I do get a chuckle from CNN playing the federal worker thing like a banjo. I remember several times over the years where they have run interviews and articles about federal employees being over paid and lazy with too many benefits. They don't care one iota about federal employees, well only if it suits their political agenda and narrative.

last time I checked air Force was part of national defense!

Excess bureaucracy created by splitting off the Army Air Corps- sounds like bureaucratic waste, you know creating entirely duplicative overhead.

Note, I’m not in favor of abolishing the Air Force, but times and needs do change. Taking the creation of any agency or department as completely unnecessary or wasteful can lead to some pretty silly conclusions like this one.

Reactions: fcctiger12
Its a joke who “leadership” is in this country. 4 old fvcks and the only one who was successful before government got his daddy’s money. Leave McConnell, Pelosi, Schumer and Trump out of it, and I guarantee we get a sensible deal rather quickly.

You are dumber than I thought. He is a businessman that decided to become your President

I admit he is successful in marketing the Trump brand. He is THE president, I don’t personally have a president and since June 1993 haven’t had to answer to one- a decision I made based on the lack of honor and integrity I perceived in the incumbent at that time which seems petty compared to today.

Trump is employing his recipe for business ‘success’ on a national level: start with a profitable business, screw the low paid, intimidate opposition with lawsuits, self promote, treat truth and lies as moral equivalents, take business into bankruptcy for personal gain, make questionable agreements, break any inconvenient agreements, and claim success regardless the facts or outcomes.

He was elected with that known background, so it is fair to say he is doing everything his supporters thought he would. There have been no surprises.

He won, his turn to call the plays, so let’s see how it plays out in the long run.

Reactions: yoshi121374
How does that make it easier for companies to do business? How would that facilitate trade?

I would skip this argument, the poster hasn’t contemplated interstate business or the role of government under the Commerce Clause of the Constitution.

I think government could and should be smaller and definitely more efficient, but most have no idea what services are essential to the country, so they stick to banal catch phrases and talking points.

Exactly! Only “nonessential employees” are not working....which leads to the question of why do we have them at all if they’re “nonessential”?

Trump appears to disagree as he is slowly making them all essential. First it was income verification section of IRS as a favor to his cronies in real estate, then Dept of Ag workers to pander to the farmers he has already screwed with his China tariff policy.

At the rate Trump is recalling federal employees there will not be anyone not working. They will all be declared essential- IRS, FDA, airport inspectors, Dept of Ag, eVerify, Dept of Justice, the list grows daily. They just won’t get paid.

He wants the shutdown talking point, but isn’t willing to endure the pain to his followers.

Typical political double talk.

I know 2 TSA agents in Columbia. In both cases they are the only source of income in their house. They say it’s tight on money and they haven’t eaten out in a month but they’re ok so far on essentials.

Both voted for Trump but said he has lost their vote. They wouldn’t vote for Hilary or nothing like that, they just would sit the next one out if he runs again. It doesn’t matter in S.C. but he could be losing votes in closer states over this.

Its self centered if he has lost their vote. No disrespect to them and the plight of the family, but Trump is doing what he campaigned to to do. Long term border security is worth short term pain. I personally wish he would just declare a national emergency and reopen the government. I do believe its a national emergency on the border.

Reactions: nealchick
It's a real shame that one party is opposing positions they previously supported and causing this problem. Democrats have previously voted for physical border protection and increased overall border security. President's Clinton and Obama gave speeches highlighting the massive issue with illegal immigration. Popular members of the party are supporting a "Green New Deal" that will cost tens of Trillions of dollars, yet they are concerned about $5B.

Such a shame. Hard to tell if this is 100% playing politics with real people and their livelihood or if the Democrat party has truly shifted so far left that previously supported, logical positions are no longer part of their platform.

I admit he is successful in marketing the Trump brand. He is THE president, I don’t personally have a president and since June 1993 haven’t had to answer to one- a decision I made based on the lack of honor and integrity I perceived in the incumbent at that time which seems petty compared to today.

Trump is employing his recipe for business ‘success’ on a national level: start with a profitable business, screw the low paid, intimidate opposition with lawsuits, self promote, treat truth and lies as moral equivalents, take business into bankruptcy for personal gain, make questionable agreements, break any inconvenient agreements, and claim success regardless the facts or outcomes.

He was elected with that known background, so it is fair to say he is doing everything his supporters thought he would. There have been no surprises.

He won, his turn to call the plays, so let’s see how it plays out in the long run.

"so it is fair to say he is doing everything his supporters thought he would. There have been no surprises.

He won, his turn to call the plays, so let’s see how it plays out in the long run."

Would be nice if he could govern without the all out assault on him doing his job that he was elected to do. How can a district judge impose a nationwide injunction on the President of the United States? Thats a ridiculous rule and should be halted. They need to start a process to fast track stuff like this on both sides directly to the SCOTUS.

President Trump offered a fig leaf Saturday offering a median compromise. I personally thought he offered too much, but look what happened. The dem leaders are not about any compromise here. They are more concerned apparently about illegals crossing the border freely and unimpeded than helping tax paying US citizens....its a disgraceful joke.

It's a real shame that one party is opposing positions they previously supported and causing this problem. Democrats have previously voted for physical border protection and increased overall border security. President's Clinton and Obama gave speeches highlighting the massive issue with illegal immigration. Popular members of the party are supporting a "Green New Deal" that will cost tens of Trillions of dollars, yet they are concerned about $5B.

Such a shame. Hard to tell if this is 100% playing politics with real people and their livelihood or if the Democrat party has truly shifted so far left that previously supported, logical positions are no longer part of their platform.
The Democrats offered 25 billion last year in exchange for DACA numb nuts. But your orange Messiah turned it down

I have been working on a SBA funded loan for growing my business and the timing couldn’t have been worse for me. Waiting for the shutdown to end to see if I can keep my business alive.

Still support the president and wish both parties of the legislature would put forth Something. There hasn’t been anything out to the president for him to sign. As said above the grandstanding is what bothers me the most. The dems that oppose exactly what they formally supported is bullshit. They just don’t want the president to appear successful and the American people are paying the price.

Reactions: willtiger1234
"so it is fair to say he is doing everything his supporters thought he would. There have been no surprises.

He won, his turn to call the plays, so let’s see how it plays out in the long run."

Would be nice if he could govern without the all out assault on him doing his job that he was elected to do. How can a district judge impose a nationwide injunction on the President of the United States? Thats a ridiculous rule and should be halted. They need to start a process to fast track stuff like this on both sides directly to the SCOTUS.

President Trump offered a fig leaf Saturday offering a median compromise. I personally thought he offered too much, but look what happened. The dem leaders are not about any compromise here. They are more concerned apparently about illegals crossing the border freely and unimpeded than helping tax paying US citizens....its a disgraceful joke.

Courts have always had the power, but rarely has an Executive been so far out of the box to be impacted as much as Trump.

Not surprised his offer was rejected. He actually offered nothing other than to slow a situation that he created. He has at least twice turned down better deals that address border security and the wall/fence. This mess is about appeasing the base, not his beliefs in a wall or good governance. Trump will end this when he feels he has placated his followers and not a minute sooner.

You are smarter than that. There is a difference between “border security” and “borde fence”. The first has potential to stop illegals and drugs, the second is a stupid idea that will not be effective.

Ask yourself, why didn’t trump threaten to shut down the govt for his border wall when the republicans could easily pass a budget that included it?

You are smarter than that. There is a difference between “border security” and “borde fence”. The first has potential to stop illegals and drugs, the second is a stupid idea that will not be effective.

Ask yourself, why didn’t trump threaten to shut down the govt for his border wall when the republicans could easily pass a budget that included it?

Shumer, Obama and Clinton voted for a border fence while senators in 2006. They supported it. Why the change of heart?

The Secure Fence Act of 2006 authorized about 700 miles of fencing along certain stretches of land between the border of the United States and Mexico.

At the time the act was being considered, Barack Obama, Hillary Clinton and Chuck Schumer were all members of the Senate. (Schumer of New York is now the Senate minority leader.)

Obama, Clinton, Schumer and 23 other Democratic senators voted in favor of the act when it passed in the Senate by a vote of 80 to 19.

I have been working on a SBA funded loan for growing my business and the timing couldn’t have been worse for me. Waiting for the shutdown to end to see if I can keep my business alive.

Still support the president and wish both parties of the legislature would put forth Something. There hasn’t been anything out to the president for him to sign. As said above the grandstanding is what bothers me the most. The dems that oppose exactly what they formally supported is bullshit. They just don’t want the president to appear successful and the American people are paying the price.

There have been multiple bipartisan spending bills that have passed Congress. McConnell ha s refused send them to vote on senate floor (he doesn’t want to box trump on that way, where trump has to refused to sign).

There are plenty of places to get business capital (banks, merchant loans, etc.). You don’t need a government backed loan.

Sorry about your SBA loan. Hope you can make it another month.

The money that had been agreed to earlier had more immigration strings. No strings = No money.

Based on McConnell’s stance of not considering any Senate bills that Trump doesn’t approve there won’t be anything for him to sign until Trump decides to end the shutdown. House has passed the spending bills to end the shutdown, but without money for a wall.

House Dem’s won’t budge until the national pain is much worse and the country starts holding them responsible which for now they don’t. Senate Dem’s are of no consequence. McConnell is merely a lackey. This is Trump’s hand to play.

I don’t support either party. Hope each and every office holder is put out of office at the next election- no exceptions.

Courts have always had the power, but rarely has an Executive been so far out of the box to be impacted as much as Trump.

Not surprised his offer was rejected. He actually offered nothing other than to slow a situation that he created. He has at least twice turned down better deals that address border security and the wall/fence. This mess is about appeasing the base, not his beliefs in a wall or good governance. Trump will end this when he feels he has placated his followers and not a minute sooner.

Lib talking points that you just delivered. Nothing more and nothing less. Trump didnt turn down any real offers....nothing ever got that far. I was wishing they could have gotten the 25B for Daca deal done, but its a very complicated issue and any agreement has to get 60 votes in the senate to get past filibuster. Trump wants the wall....its not just talking points for his base. He has been talking wall for years and he is keeping his word. I am behind him...whatever it takes...build the wall. We will have to agree to disagree here.

The Democrats offered 25 billion last year in exchange for DACA numb nuts. But your orange Messiah turned it down

You are a rude one. Your statement is not true either. That was a very complicated negotiation going on and they were attempting a broad immigration bill at the time. Anything had to get 60 votes in the senate to beat filibuster. There is going to be no agreement on this issue. The far left just wants open borders for big business and for a new voting class even though they cant admit it. To hell with the american taxpayers that want real border security and immigration reform.

Quit giving snap shot statements and trying to pass it as an absolute on a very complicated issue. For the record, I would have been in support of him trading DACA for 25B devoted to a wall....absolutely.

Shumer, Obama and Clinton voted for a border fence while senators in 2006. They supported it. Why the change of heart?

It’s called dealmaking. They voted for limited fences along the border as the lesser of two evils. The other bill sent by congress proposed to treat all illegals as felons.

And let’s not forget that McConnell opposed the wall a year ago.

Lib talking points that you just delivered. Nothing more and nothing less. Trump didnt turn down any real offers....nothing ever got that far. I was wishing they could have gotten the 25B for Daca deal done, but its a very complicated issue and any agreement has to get 60 votes in the senate to get past filibuster. Trump wants the wall....its not just talking points for his base. He has been talking wall for years and he is keeping his word. I am behind him...whatever it takes...build the wall. We will have to agree to disagree here.

Don’t follow mainstream media very closely, if we agree it is pure coincidence or maybe the truth.

He had $3B for security including some wall/fencing when he walked away in December and created the shutdown. He just wanted more. Newsflash: he couldn’t spend anywhere near what he is asking before the end of the budget year. So, the $5B is purely a talking point as he will need another appropriation next year.

I’m in favor of more security, but a wall or fence doesn’t provide that. My experiences with walls/fences lead me to believe that a physical wall by itself is a complete waste. If he truthfully believes that a wall is the answer, he needs to find a general or two that is willing to speak truth to power at the expense of losing their career. The generals that he has had tried to tactfully steer him in another direction. I’m not sure Trump understands tact.

Trump needs to find a way to declare victory and end the shutdown before something bad happens (economy, terrorism, etc) that ends up ruining him. Per his own words, he proudly owns the shutdown..... and all of the things associated with it.

So these pictures on the news tonight showing crazy long lines to get through security are nothing but the liberal media making a mountain out of a mole hill???

It’s pretty spotty. Depends what time you’re flying and where.

Reading the comments in this thread supporting the continuation of this disastrous shutdown and the asinine logic behind the support of a "wall" brings to memory the one quote I believe sums up the continual support for the "dear leader":

"it's easier to fool people than convince them that they have been fooled."

Reactions: 1Clemson

Yeaaa! Damn constitution is getting in the way of Trump's wall. Down with checks and balances!

Yeaaa! Damn constitution is getting in the way of Trump's wall. Down with checks and balances!

Most of these injunctions are getting overturned by the SCOTUS...just one has he lost on, so you cant say that. This is a case of activist judges trying to be part of the resistance and slowing/stopping Trump any way possible.

Most of these injunctions are getting overturned by the SCOTUS...just one has he lost on, so you cant say that. This is a case of activist judges trying to be part of the resistance and slowing/stopping Trump any way possible.

Which injunction against a trump EO has been overturned by the Supreme Court?

I dont need to watch CNN, MSNBC or fox news when we have all the talking points ITT. This is great.

Of course, you aren't intellectually capable of seeing your side also spitting platitudes and talking points repeated adnaseum on fox news and breitbart.

Of course, you aren't intellectually capable of seeing your side also spitting platitudes and talking points repeated adnaseum on fox news and breitbart.

Lol it truly does eat at you that the orange man is in the White House. He won at their game. @nytigerfan

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT