ADVERTISEMENT

Kavanaugh going in dry on liberals

Well, we just got to the crux of this. Dirty, Dick Durbin just asked Kav to ask for the vote to stop until an FBI investigation can happen. Everybody knows there is no more evidence to gleaned. The FBI wouldn't even know where to begin an investigation!!!

pun intended. Feinstein looked like she saw a ghost.

One thing that I find genuinely interesting about online conservatives is how much they lean into the accusations levied against people they support. Referring to the guy who allegedly attempted to rape a woman as "going in dry" on someone is just....I don't know. Even if I was a conservative leaning person who genuinely believed that this was all a Democratic smear, I don't think I'd so willfully conjure up rape imagery in a rape allegation.

Reactions: Rychek4
One thing that I find genuinely interesting about online conservatives is how much they lean into the accusations levied against people they support. Referring to the guy who allegedly attempted to rape a woman as "going in dry" on someone is just....I don't know. Even if I was a conservative leaning person who genuinely believed that this was all a Democratic smear, I don't think I'd so willfully conjure up rape imagery in a rape allegation.

SOP. He either did it or not. Ford is either lying or not. Everything else is a distraction and an intentional one. The question is do you believe her or is she lying? Do you believe Kav or is he lying. One of those people is.

SOP. He either did it or not. Ford is either lying or not. Everything else is a distraction and an intentional one. The question is do you believe her or is she lying? Do you believe Kav or is he lying. One of those people is.

I'm clearly biased here. I didn't want Kavanaugh confirmed before the allegations, either, so you can take everything with a grain of salt.

I believe it's possible that Ford is being truthful and for Kavanaugh to truly believe he didn't do it. If you were blistering drunk and don't think of yourself as the kind of person who would do something like that, I can see genuinely believing it never happened.

So I guess it comes down to credibility. I'd say the marks against Kavanaugh's honesty are more severe than the marks against Ford's. After everything, the biggest "gotcha" item on Ford is that she overstated her fear of flying as why she didn't want to come to DC multiple times? Even if we pretend this was a deliberate misrepresentation of the truth there is a problem: that lie has nothing to do with the allegation.

Kavanaugh, on the other hand, is clearly lying about how much he drank at that age and how much of an all around douchebag he was at that age (year book). Those items speak clearly to his character at the time and the fact that he's willing to lie so blatantly about relevant information hurts his credibility to me. (This in addition to suggesting he bootstrapped his way into Yale, etc etc).

I don't think that there is enough out there to bring charges against Kavanaugh. It's been far too long. While I do think that the justice system (and our society at large) is more deferential to sexual predators than the victims of sexual predators, I don't know what to do about it. These crimes are inherently hard to prosecute and I don't think we throw out the foundations of our justice system for one type of crime.

However, this is not a criminal trial. This is an interview for a position that would be a privilege for anybody to have. He has not shown the temperament that I would expect for someone of this position and the evidence that we have so far makes it seem that it's more likely than not that he assaulted Ford. To me, that's enough to say he should not be confirmed.

Also, my post was just criticizing the OP for being a douche. Wasn't specifically related to the confirmation hearings.

Reactions: hopefultiger13
I'm clearly biased here. I didn't want Kavanaugh confirmed before the allegations, either, so you can take everything with a grain of salt.

I believe it's possible that Ford is being truthful and for Kavanaugh to truly believe he didn't do it. If you were blistering drunk and don't think of yourself as the kind of person who would do something like that, I can see genuinely believing it never happened.

So I guess it comes down to credibility. I'd say the marks against Kavanaugh's honesty are more severe than the marks against Ford's. After everything, the biggest "gotcha" item on Ford is that she overstated her fear of flying as why she didn't want to come to DC multiple times? Even if we pretend this was a deliberate misrepresentation of the truth there is a problem: that lie has nothing to do with the allegation.

Kavanaugh, on the other hand, is clearly lying about how much he drank at that age and how much of an all around douchebag he was at that age (year book). Those items speak clearly to his character at the time and the fact that he's willing to lie so blatantly about relevant information hurts his credibility to me. (This in addition to suggesting he bootstrapped his way into Yale, etc etc).

I don't think that there is enough out there to bring charges against Kavanaugh. It's been far too long. While I do think that the justice system (and our society at large) is more deferential to sexual predators than the victims of sexual predators, I don't know what to do about it. These crimes are inherently hard to prosecute and I don't think we throw out the foundations of our justice system for one type of crime.

However, this is not a criminal trial. This is an interview for a position that would be a privilege for anybody to have. He has not shown the temperament that I would expect for someone of this position and the evidence that we have so far makes it seem that it's more likely than not that he assaulted Ford. To me, that's enough to say he should not be confirmed.

Also, my post was just criticizing the OP for being a douche. Wasn't specifically related to the confirmation hearings.

I find her more credible that him as well, but I do stand by my statement about her or him lying. Kav didn't say. I don't remember even being at the party. or I was so drunk, I have no idea. He said he didn't do it and wasn't even at the party. Because I totally get not remembering something like that. By all accounts Kav and his buds liked to get hammered and get crazy. I'm sure that what they allegedly did to Ford didn't bother them at all. It's just something they did 30 years ago while drunk... not surprising they don't remember. On the other hand from Ford's point of view, that incident was a life changer. Not surprising she remembers it very well indeed. BUT again. Kav didn't say he didn't remember. He said he didn't do it. BIG difference.

I find her more credible that him as well, but I do stand by my statement about her or him lying. Kav didn't say. I don't remember even being at the party. or I was so drunk, I have no idea. He said he didn't do it and wasn't even at the party. Because I totally get not remembering something like that. By all accounts Kav and his buds liked to get hammered and get crazy. I'm sure that what they allegedly did to Ford didn't bother them at all. It's just something they did 30 years ago while drunk... not surprising they don't remember. On the other hand from Ford's point of view, that incident was a life changer. Not surprising she remembers it very well indeed. BUT again. Kav didn't say he didn't remember. He said he didn't do it. BIG difference.

I hate to defend the guy but I think Costanza has a point here: "It's not a lie if YOU believe it." I'm saying that it's plausible they're both being as honest as they know how to be. Perhaps it's foolhardy of him to make such an absolute claim and incorrect to make that claim as well. I believe he did it, though. And he definitely lied about other stuff.

I hate to defend the guy but I think Costanza has a point here: "It's not a lie if YOU believe it." I'm saying that it's plausible they're both being as honest as they know how to be. Perhaps it's foolhardy of him to make such an absolute claim and incorrect to make that claim as well. I believe he did it, though. And he definitely lied about other stuff.

And she is going to jail

Doesn't that knife cut both ways though?

Is it possible that she was drunk as well, and someone assaulted her but she does not remember who?

Doesn't that knife cut both ways though?

Is it possible that she was drunk as well, and someone assaulted her but she does not remember who?

I mean I guess it's possible that she was drunk but we don't have any evidence to suggest that she was a frequent blackout drunk like we do (at least anecdotally about Kavanaugh). It's also possible that this is all a product of hypnotic suggestion. I don't think we should waste too much time figuring out all the possibilities that neither party is alleging, though.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT