ADVERTISEMENT

Memorial Day..... Pathetic in Myrlte

TON

Valles Marineris
Gold Member
Jul 3, 2001
Well it's 8:00 here on the beach and everything has calmed
down after a disastrous weekend. Something has to be done, not to the bikers, per se, but
garbage that follows them to the beach. There better be some heavily armed people here next year or there will be
Hell to pay. Absolutely ridiculous this happens in an American town where police are too damn scared or thin to do anything about it.

Grew up not far from MB and went for a couple days last summer. Was very disappointed in the hotel and the beach. Long story short, not much has changed with MB.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

If you were disappointed in beach and your hotel..... You were at wrong place. Parts of the beach are great. For example Pawleys Island. Litchfield. Murrells Inlet, Garden City, Cherry Grove etc. Lots of nice hotels. Just got to look

So what you are saying is Myrtle isn't only full of trashy people, but trash left from those people. Who would have thought the dirty Myrtle lived up to its nickname.

He is talking about the bikers that just left...all of the crap that follows...the destruction of property, multiple shootings etc etc the same garbage as every year. But people want to be politically correct instead of fixing a problem..

Originally posted by TON:
down after a disastrous weekend. Something has to be done, not to the bikers, per se, but
garbage that follows them to the beach. There better be some heavily armed people here next year or there will be
Hell to pay. Absolutely ridiculous this happens in an American town where police are too damn scared or thin to do anything about it.
This, my friend, is why there are increasingly more gated communities built. It was a huge stipulation with us when we bought our land in N. Myrtle Beach. And because I know you and your situation, I know it's especially frustrating for you and your business down there to see - as you put it - so much garbage basically come in and overrun the city.

To see such chaos and a complete lack of regard and respect for the city, its citizens and law enforcement, is really disappointing.

Last time I checked garden city, litchfield beach, etc are not myrtle beach. I would recommend those as great places in horry or Georgetown counties, but not MB proper. Happy to hear what hotel in MB you thought was nice. I was disappointed in my $300+/- room. I've been all over the globe and experienced much nicer for a comparable price. I bet others would say the same. Unfortunately it is the redneck riveria.

I think there's a miscommunication here. When I said I didn't mean physical trash. I meant the piece of sh$t human
beings that troll behind and use black bike week as an excuse to rob and pillage. Bring the 82nd Airborne down next year from Bragg if
They're not on assignment. That would do it!

I guess that boycott by the NAACP isn't working too well for them.

Myrtle Beach has become a vacation destination for people who do not know any better. There are too many other nice areas close to Myrtle Beach or further down the coast that are safer, nicer, less crowded and actually less expensive .

yea, I thought they were boycotting the State, to bad it's not working

more business's should close down for the week and give them few places to eat or buy gas and they might find another place to go

I guess the boycott only works for the ACC or the NCAA, and they have nothing really to lose if they do come to S.C., I can't figure out why they are so scared of the NAACP.

I was offered money to work security at Atlantic Beach this weekend. Lmao!

If im not mistaken SC passed some kind of stupid law that says the business in that area cant close down that week or they would be fined a substantial amount... I know that sounds stupid but I believe I am right on that.

Anybody with more knowledge want to chime in on the business closings

I have seen some things I can't unsee in Myrtle Beach during memorial weekend. I avoid it like the plague now during this time.

8 shot and 3 dead over the weekend. The city has their hands full down there and I'm not sure what the answer is. You can't tell someone they can't show up at Myrtle Beach. Regardless of what the city does they will still show up and act like animals.

They will literally have to make it so miserable for the people who do show up that they will not come back. Maybe a concerted effort by business owners to shut down everything and the National Guard on every corner would be a start.

I feel really bad for the people who have to put up with this garbage every year.

Originally posted by Orange Valley:

yea, I thought they were boycotting the State, to bad it's not working

more business's should close down for the week and give them few places to eat or buy gas and they might find another place to go

I guess the boycott only works for the ACC or the NCAA, and they have nothing really to lose if they do come to S.C., I can't figure out why they are so scared of the NAACP.
Successful lawsuits in the past by the NAACP against private businesses. Restaurant owners closed shop and went on vacation rather than lose money because of traffic impeding regular customers getting to the restaurant, and people eating and walking out without tipping or even paying for meals.

Originally posted by Tigerbomb:
8 shot and 3 dead over the weekend. The city has their hands full down there and I'm not sure what the answer is. You can't tell someone they can't show up at Myrtle Beach. Regardless of what the city does they will still show up and act like animals.

They will literally have to make it so miserable for the people who do show up that they will not come back. Maybe a concerted effort by business owners to shut down everything and the National Guard on every corner would be a start.

I feel really bad for the people who have to put up with this garbage every year.
The answer is to haul in the national guard, stand ready and then bust a cap on anybody who gets out of line.

They're going to have to have backup this time next year.

Originally posted by Cris_Ard:

Originally posted by Tigerbomb:

The answer is to haul in the national guard, stand ready and then bust a cap on anybody who gets out of line.

They're going to have to have backup this time next year.
That's a starting point. The saddest part is that the NAACP will scream racism and sue Myrtle Beach for trying to protect law abiding citizens/property.

I also think Myrtle Beach should impose a curfew law of 9 pm during BBW and enforce it with the National Guard...NAACP be damned.

There has never been much of a crime issue to the point residents don't feel safe until this year. They now have every reason to implement a curfew and bring in national guard. There is no longer the argument that this week was the same as Harley week the prior 14 days.

OP - I just tried to google under events and news what may have happened.

From this thread, what I gathered was there's a bike week that occurs during Memorial Day and the said bikers are scum/trash that don't tip, literally trash the city, and leave?

Hate to hear it for you. Just wanted to get some clarification

PCHOI, this isn't the first time this has happened. I've lived here my whole life
and after graduating from Clemson in '96 moved back. In 1997 the shit hit the like
this year, and in '98 Gov. Beasley sent the Guard in.
Looked like Baghdad with all the soldiers and helicopters
In the sky. That shut bike week down QUICK! It's been 17 years
with no real problems until this year and all Hell broke
loose. Law enforcement is scared of this because they're outgunned
And can't control it.

It's not a matter of police being scared or thin to do their job during this week. There have been worse BBW weekends in the past but this one had the highest murder body count. There have been murders before and even high number of motorcycle fatalities due to crazy driving by the cyclists. Problem is after the city was sued by the NAACP (for the one way traffic pattern on ocean blvd) along with several restaurants/businesses for closing they are too scared to allow the police to do their job. Now with the economy tanking there isn't enough in the budget to bring in the extra hundreds of police like in previous years or for the state to send large numbers of troopers or SLED. City has since tried different ordinances to curb this (I.e. Helmet law, grilling out, standing in landscape, etc) which only failed and ran off the Harley riders in the previous week. This so called festival is just a large street party where robberies, rapes, and shootings occurr frequently along with vehicle thefts and other misdemeanor crimes. The festival really no longer stays in Atlantic Beach who started it, and is mainly centered on the boulevard in MB. There are really no places to get way from the chaos unless you go down to Murrells Inlet or across the NC state line. The traffic grid lock is another reason to avoid the Grand Srand during this weekend.

One restaurant that got sued for refusing to open has been for sale since that lawsuit (didn't settle), and was a icon for food on the south end of MB. The owner lost almost everything. For anybody ever considering coming here during Memorial Wknd I would highly reconsider.

Ironically short of riots causing major damage like in Va Beach VA and problems with Freaknik in the ATL there is no way to stop people from coming down that weekend. At least this national news attention will wake up govt leaders to do something in curbing and controlling the crime that goes alng with ths event.

Originally posted by TON:
Not sure what makes you think the police are "too damn scared."

I agree, though, there are a lot of riff-raff and animals down here this time of year. I agree with Chris that the National Guard should be put on alert. To get around the inevitable NAACP lawsuit that would ensue, they should put the National Guard on alert for both bike weeks, cause both are a plague on society IMO.

Don't get me wrong, I know they generate a lot of revenue for the area, but having to deal with the massive amount of bikers who act like they absolutely own the road driving through Georgetown/Pawleys for three weeks every May is such a pain in the ass.

We have a timeshare in MB the same week every year. Saturday to Saturday. Unfortunately, it occurs on Memorial Day weekend. To alleviate the problem, we pretty much stick to the beach/room until Monday evening.

Cue Iceheart playing the victim race card argument. .
Maybe Obama will make a Travon Martin reference about this weekend. That guy in jailing for breaking the law could have been my son. I bet Eric Holder wouldn't put any black man in jail. Seriously he wouldn't .

The restaurant was J Edwards and it's a crime
what happened. I know Myrtle looks like a shithole, and I
agree, we've got out fair share of warts. But it's my home and this
disaster shouldn't be allowed to happen in this country. Go YouTube Myrtle
Beach shooting raw footing and watch the other feeds. People getting
shot out in public! It's a joke. Don't ever compare the two bike weeks.
Harley week are older and more established people. White and black
Harley riders come down that weekend. Memorial Weekend bikers are fine. They
want to ride with their clubs just like Harley week.
Once again, the overriding problem is the shit that follows them
and destroys our town. Bring in the guns and make uncomfortable.

Agree, very nice weekend at OIB. We rarely go down to MB anymore. Definitley not during the bike weeks.

Raise the prices on the rooms? National guard? Advertise bike week in a different city? Buy the black bike week website?

Originally posted by bchtiger328:
It's not a matter of police being scared or thin to do their job during this week. There have been worse BBW weekends in the past but this one had the highest murder body count. There have been murders before and even high number of motorcycle fatalities due to crazy driving by the cyclists. Problem is after the city was sued by the NAACP (for the one way traffic pattern on ocean blvd) along with several restaurants/businesses for closing they are too scared to allow the police to do their job. Now with the economy tanking there isn't enough in the budget to bring in the extra hundreds of police like in previous years or for the state to send large numbers of troopers or SLED. City has since tried different ordinances to curb this (I.e. Helmet law, grilling out, standing in landscape, etc) which only failed and ran off the Harley riders in the previous week. This so called festival is just a large street party where robberies, rapes, and shootings occurr frequently along with vehicle thefts and other misdemeanor crimes. The festival really no longer stays in Atlantic Beach who started it, and is mainly centered on the boulevard in MB. There are really no places to get way from the chaos unless you go down to Murrells Inlet or across the NC state line. The traffic grid lock is another reason to avoid the Grand Srand during this weekend.

One restaurant that got sued for refusing to open has been for sale since that lawsuit (didn't settle), and was a icon for food on the south end of MB. The owner lost almost everything. For anybody ever considering coming here during Memorial Wknd I would highly reconsider.

Ironically short of riots causing major damage like in Va Beach VA and problems with Freaknik in the ATL there is no way to stop people from coming down that weekend. At least this national news attention will wake up govt leaders to do something in curbing and controlling the crime that goes alng with ths event.
Sue the NAACP. WTF is their outrage? Crickets. As is their MO.

A buddy of mine is a former State Trooper who used to work the Memorial Day weekend down there.

He said who caused all the trouble was the criminal element that would come from all over, especially from up North, and would actually steal motorcycles on the way there to ride, then they would dump the bikes when they were done. He had a camaro then, and he would get up to 160 chasing these fools on the way into MB.

All law-abiding citizens should leave town then promote bike week as a free-for-all murder fest. Let the scum kill one another off. Then come in on Monday and pick up the trash and spray down the streets for civilized people that actually respect one another.

Lifelong Horry County resident here, this year was definitely the worst I remember it. Just like any other group of people, I have met plenty of nice black bikers, especially during my time as a waiter at Benjamin's Seafood. But there are definitely some bad elements amongst them. A lot of Horry County locals go down and cause trouble during Black Bike Week as well. I agree TON, something should be done though. I spent my weekend out on the country out at my farm, ensuring that I didn't put my life in jeopardy.

Indications are that this was all gang related by some of Summerville's finest.

http://charlestonthuglife.net/2014/05/26/murderous-myrtle/

MB total murder count last year ALONE was only 2. They had 3 this past weekend. Very crazy situation.

I actually own a home in Surfside, gated community, and we got there Friday until yesterday afternoon. Not one problem, and the beach is very nice. Anyone looking to vacation at beach during Memorial day holiday should not trek further than Surfside. As an above poster mentioned, Litchfield, Murrells Inlet, Surfside are all great and no issues.

Hate that one weekend really pays a bad homage to the MB area. Something has to be done, however can't bring back the lost!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT