ADVERTISEMENT

NFL: Increase Your Draft Position with Black Coach or GM

childoforange

The Milwaukee Deep
Gold Member
Aug 26, 2008
Lake Murray, SC
SIAP

How does everyone feel about the NFL’s proposal to reward teams that have a black GM and/or a black coach with a jump up 16 draft slots in the third round?

To me, on its face, it’s racist. The whole point is to move away from the color of someone’s skin into the content of their character, right?

Who determines how many minorities is satisfactory?

If I’m a white dude that looses out to a black guy for a head coaching job, I think I sue.

SIAP

How does everyone feel about the NFL’s proposal to reward teams that have a black GM and/or a black coach with a jump up 16 draft slots in the third round?

To me, on its face, it’s racist. The whole point is to move away from the color of someone’s skin into the content of their character, right?

If I’m a white dude that looses out to a black guy for a head coaching job, I think I sue.
LoL

It’s quite funny how as SportsCenter talks about the proposal, they keep rolling footage of all sorts of black NFL coaches coaching. Am I missing something?

I personally have mixed feelings about this kind of thing. Part of me says only time and generations can “fix” this kind of problem. On the other hand, if I were a black coach or front office person, I’m sure I would want my chance regardless. I think people typically hire the person they think can do the best job regardless of skin color. There have been enough successful African Americans in the NFL that it shouldn’t be an issue. There have also been some terrible ones but the NFL has a way of doing that to some of the best minds in the game. I don’t like the rule simply because when you force something like that, it fosters resentment. To force a guy to interview a minority is one thing because you’re allowing him to realize on his own that this guy is the one I need to hire. I don’t think it will work because NFL guys will throw away draft picks for a certain player. I don’t see that trend reversing for someone who you will be saddled with for at least a couple of years.

We should also take this time to recognize that deceased former Raiders owner Al Davis was an absolute pioneer in the area of minority hiring in the modern NFL. First black QB, first minority head coach, first black head coach, and first female executive.
Go Raiders!!!

I mean there’s no way it passes as 100% of people seem to be completely against it. I thought it was a fake Twitter at first. Just doesn’t seem possible something that racist could happen in today’s world.

SIAP

I hear this a lot. Not about this but about many other things. Others entire lives have been impacted on stuff like this but many people will lose their mind if it happens to them one time. I've heard stuff like "man if that happened to me I'd do this or that". They don't get that the reason it's happening to them is because whoever is doing it is fully aware they can get away with it and you don't stand a chance if all things were equal.

That being said....this rule or suggestion of a rule sounds ludicrous to me. I understand what they are trying to do. It sounds to me like they are trying too hard and they are missing the mark big time.

I mean there’s no way it passes as 100% of people seem to be completely against it. I thought it was a fake Twitter at first. Just doesn’t seem possible something that racist could happen in today’s world.

Yeah. I agree. Nothing that racist can happen in 2020.

SIAP

If you're a white guy or black guy that "looses" then you should indeed lose the job to someone else.

Reactions: Flat Rock`s Finest
I’ll judge it by the intention, even if the plan of action isn’t that great.
They feel there’s an issue so they address it. That’s how an organization gets better. Trial and error are nothing new.

SIAP

Affirmative Action didn't work the 1st time. I'm fine with it, if, you you get the same treatment for having a white guy on defense, WR, RB, or PR. Hispanics should be an automatic top 10 pick. If you get an Asian that isn't a kicker, you just get an automatic bye to the Super Bowl.

If you think this is "racist" then you don't understand what racism is. This is an attempt to combat the effects of racism. This is not racism.

That said, not sure I like it, but don't really care either way.

--Mr. DT

Racism is a word that has different meaning to different people. To some, racism is only a one way street. It can only be racist if what ever action or inaction is directed at a minority group. Some believe racism can’t happen to a majority group.

Personally i view it differently. I think racism is a symptom of a plague that has deeper roots than race, it spans Religion, nationality, language and many other differences . At its core, it is a desire to love self above others and others like self above those that are different.

I think ultimately this disease corrupts the mind and heart and it is front and center in the majority of the conflict and evil this world has experienced since the beginning of time.

Rules and strategies to promote minority groups are slippery slopes and while well intentioned, i think it is something that can backfire. These are heart issues that need to be addressed and I think there is a role for organized groups, be it the NFL or Government, to play but none the less it is a slippery slope.

Not by an institution that is voted upon like that and so public imo.

I was joking. It can 100% happen in 2020. That and so much more is happening everyday. You are Blessed if you don't have to deal with it. I think if you don't have to deal with it you should purposely seek it out and help destroy it or any remnants of it. That's a tough task tho. And it's exhausting. I don't blame anyone that hides from it or ignores it. Some people hate hearing about it all the time. Try living it.

Reactions: Trading Tiger
I hear this a lot. Not about this but about many other things. Others entire lives have been impacted on stuff like this but many people will lose their mind if it happens to them one time. I've heard stuff like "man if that happened to me I'd do this or that". They don't get that the reason it's happening to them is because whoever is doing it is fully aware they can get away with it and you don't stand a chance if all things were equal.

That being said....this rule or suggestion of a rule sounds ludicrous to me. I understand what they are trying to do. It sounds to me like they are trying too hard and they are missing the mark big time.

I lost out on thousands of scholarship dollars when i checked the box labeled white, then the box male. Does that qualify?

I would also like to hear what advantages a white male has over any other person in 2020. Please tell me.

The most adored people on the planet are in fact not white in 2020. I feel like some people are stuck in damn 1960, and for whatever reason just cannot admit the world is what you make it.

Anyways, none of this crap matters. White people 30 years from now will be the minority and I SO FREAKING LOOK FORWARD TO IT

Last edited:
If you think this is "racist" then you don't understand what racism is. This is an attempt to combat the effects of racism. This is not racism.

That said, not sure I like it, but don't really care either way.

--Mr. DT
It’s racism in the since that someone gets benefits for the color of their skin. I believe in every man being equal and the best man gets the job.

Racism is a word that has different meaning to different people. To some, racism is only a one way street. It can only be racist if what ever action or inaction is directed at a minority group. Some believe racism can’t happen to a majority group.

Personally i view it differently. I think racism is a symptom of a plague that has deeper roots than race, it spans Religion, nationality, language and many other differences . At its core, it is a desire to love self above others and others like self above those that are different.

I think ultimately this disease corrupts the mind and heart and it is front and center in the majority of the conflict and evil this world has experienced since the beginning of time.

Rules and strategies to promote minority groups are slippery slopes and while well intentioned, i think it is something that can backfire. These are heart issues that need to be addressed and I think there is a role for organized groups, be it the NFL or Government, to play but none the less it is a slippery slope.

Huge difference. The impact of that slippery slope is invisible on a larger scale and not actually a part of any grand scheme to keep white people down. Any perpetuation of the NFL trying to assist minorities won't empower an ignorant segment of minorities to now think that are better by default than white people.

The "other" racism is dangerous and has all the negative trickle down effects including what I mentioned above. Most efforts by the NFL or like organizations will no doubt grant an opportunity for a few but it won't change much of anything. Policies that are written that impact minorities negatively usually have a crushing impact. Write a policy to help minorities and the impact is negligible. Example. Blacks aren't allowed to attend white colleges. Racism. Impacts black folks for generations. Black people are now allowed to attend white colleges. Progress. Even the small amount that choose to attend impacts the population for generations positively. Progress. Government demands a quota for minorities for colleges or puts in incentives to create opportunity. The impacts of this racism? A small group of kids possibly at every school may not get their first choice of college and may have to attend one of the many hundreds of options across the nation. Or just their second choice. Unfortunate, yes. Wish it didn't happen. I wish it didn't. Same as the other racism? Not even in the same universe. But people will call that reverse racism.

Side note. Working in the university admissions office I saw white people claiming they lost their spot to a black person that scored 40pts lower on the SAT with essentially the same GPA. Meanwhile there were a hundred white folks in the accepted class that they were significantly more qualified than. Of course I wasn't allowed to say anything. Neither was anyone else. But racism.

Affirmative Action didn't work the 1st time. I'm fine with it, if, you you get the same treatment for having a white guy on defense, WR, RB, or PR. Hispanics should be an automatic top 10 pick. If you get an Asian that isn't a kicker, you just get an automatic bye to the Super Bowl.

Do these people lack the opportunity? Just curious. Are they not given an opportunity because of their race? In the office it's a little harder to judge performance than it is on the field of play. These type of comparisons provide a lot of context tho.

Heck why stop there? If you have a white coach or GM you should pay reparations to those teams that do.

Finally, all those racist teams with white coaches and GM should draw straws with the loser required to trade their #1 quarterback and sign Kaeperdick to a 5 year deal.

I lost out on thousands of scholarship dollars when i checked the box labeled white, then the box male. Does that qualify?

I would also like to hear what advantages a white male has over any other person in 2020. Please tell me.

The most adored people on the planet are in fact not white in 2020. I feel like some people are stuck in damn 1960, and for whatever reason just cannot admit the world is what you make it.

Anyways, none of this crap matters. White people 30 years from now will be the minority and I SO FREAKING LOOK FORWARD TO IT

There's not much I can say to this post. I can't even laugh at it. It's sad quite frankly. I wish you could walk in the shoes shoes of a black person for one year. I guarantee it'll change your perspective. And if you're so fair in your own mind then people like you won't be a problem to minorities. It's the many who don't believe like you do that you'll be fighting. There's a bunch of them out there.

As I've stated I worked in admissions. Get an honest admissions person and they'll say you sound completely stupid in the notion that you lost out on thousands of dollars once you checked white. Once you checked white you qualified for millions in scholarships. Many scholarships are literally written to eliminate or greatly reduce the chances of a non-white person to get it. Those are by default white only scholarships. Systems like that in place all over. Trust me. You may be able to pick a singular situation where you wouldn't mind being black but in general you'd be stupid to trade that. And I wouldn't blame you one bit. You didn't create this system. Not your fault. If I was white and did all the things I've done in my life at the very least if be left alone to live my life. Not harassed almost daily. Not quite daily. But there will be a stretch of time where things will happen that will challenge your right to simply be a man. It's not fun or fair.

Huge difference. The impact of that slippery slope is invisible on a larger scale and not actually a part of any grand scheme to keep white people down. Any perpetuation of the NFL trying to assist minorities won't empower an ignorant segment of minorities to now think that are better by default than white people.

The "other" racism is dangerous and has all the negative trickle down effects including what I mentioned above. Most efforts by the NFL or like organizations will no doubt grant an opportunity for a few but it won't change much of anything. Policies that are written that impact minorities negatively usually have a crushing impact. Write a policy to help minorities and the impact is negligible. Example. Blacks aren't allowed to attend white colleges. Racism. Impacts black folks for generations. Black people are now allowed to attend white colleges. Progress. Even the small amount that choose to attend impacts the population for generations positively. Progress. Government demands a quota for minorities for colleges or puts in incentives to create opportunity. The impacts of this racism? A small group of kids possibly at every school may not get their first choice of college and may have to attend one of the many hundreds of options across the nation. Or just their second choice. Unfortunate, yes. Wish it didn't happen. I wish it didn't. Same as the other racism? Not even in the same universe. But people will call that reverse racism.

Side note. Working in the university admissions office I saw white people claiming they lost their spot to a black person that scored 40pts lower on the SAT with essentially the same GPA. Meanwhile there were a hundred white folks in the accepted class that they were significantly more qualified than. Of course I wasn't allowed to say anything. Neither was anyone else. But racism.

You can define it however you like and you can claim that the overall affect of a program is good so it is inconsequential that there is some negative. You act like the negative is merely an inconvenience in every situation. Maybe in some or even most, but I can promise you that is not always the case, it is more than an inconvenience to some people.

As one who has lived thru and seen first hand what reverse racism can do, i disagree with you.

Last edited:

Yikes. Hard to process how little perspective a post like this contains.

You can define it however you like and you can claim that the overall affect of a program is good so it is inconsequential that there is some negative. You act like the negative is merely an inconvenience in every situation. Maybe in some or even most, but I can promise you that is not always the case, it is more than an inconvenience to some people.

As one who has lived thru and seen first hand what reverse racism can do, i disagree with you.

That's fine. Reverse racism tho. You can't have this one opportunity but you have plenty of other great opportunities. Racism is you have no opportunity or take this one that is beneath you or leave it. We don't care.

I suspect that anyone that dies on the hill of reverse racism I'm probably not smart enough to convince them. You would literally have to walk in my shoes as a comparison. And that's not fair to you because that's quite frankly impossible. I ain't mad at you. And I'm happy. I've done what I can and I can admit the system is crappy and unfair with tons of examples. I still put my head down and work. And I've been successful. But I won't pretend like reality is any close to what some try to project as real. The truth is there are multiple realities even within the same races, between races, genders, etc. I won't discount your personal experience but in the world at large and it's impact this reverse racism claim is funny at best.

Do these people lack the opportunity? Just curious. Are they not given an opportunity because of their race? In the office it's a little harder to judge performance than it is on the field of play. These type of comparisons provide a lot of context tho.
Interesting. When 90% of the players in professional sports leagues are black, it's because they're just better. When 90% of the coaches are white, it's racism.

Very telling indeed.

Reactions: CUTiger81
Interesting. When 90% of the players in professional sports leagues are black, it's because they're just better. When 90% of the coaches are white, it's racism.

Very telling indeed.

Just so everyone is clear: here, you are saying black folks are better at playing and white folks are better at coaching?

Reactions: KansasClemson215
It’s racism in the since that someone gets benefits for the color of their skin. I believe in every man being equal and the best man gets the job.

70% of NFL players are black. But less than 10% of head coaches and GMs are black.

But yeah, this is fine.

--Mr. DT

Reactions: dktum
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT