ADVERTISEMENT

NK Summitt cancelled

piperdog188

Lake Baikal
Gold Member
Jan 31, 2008
Nobody actually thought this would work out right ?

WASHINGTON — President Trump has notified Kim Jong-un, the North Korean leader, that he has canceled their much-anticipated meeting, which was set for June 12.

In a letter dated Thursday to Mr. Kim, the American president said he would not attend the summit due to “tremendous anger and open hostility displayed in your most recent statement.”

Reactions: anon_yqoaxol227dby

WASHINGTON — President Trump has notified Kim Jong-un, the North Korean leader, that he has canceled their much-anticipated meeting, which was set for June 12.

In a letter dated Thursday to Mr. Kim, the American president said he would not attend the summit due to “tremendous anger and open hostility displayed in your most recent statement.”
His uniformed base did. They already had him winning a Nobel Peace Prize. Someone needs to sit him down and explain in small words the history of North Korea and America.

this is another case of Trump and his minions taking a victory lap before actually accomplishing anything. At least this time they did not have a keg party.

There goes the old Nobel Peace Prize....

Reactions: iceheart08
this is another case of Trump and his minions taking a victory lap before actually accomplishing anything. At least this time they did not have a keg party.
well .... one of his minions pretty much torpedoed the whole thing with the "Libyan Model" comment. Of all the things that couldve been said, that was probably the worst. Literally any other words wouldve been better ..... and of course Trump didnt have the ability to tactfully clarify Bolton's statement or diplomatically walk them back or soften them. Regardless of the outcome, this has been mismanaged ..... MUCH like Kathleen Kennedy's comments about people who didnt like The Last Jedi, ya know @acwill07 favorite movie ... ;)

Reactions: firegiver

This is the problem. Trump and his supporters were already campaigning for the Nobel Peace Prize for the summit with North Korea. Its almost like they dont have any awareness of history about North Korea and how they try to manipulate negotiations. The last 3-4 US Presidents have been burned any time they tried to do anything with North Korea, and now Trump just got his dose.

I admire him for trying, but dont celebrate your success before the meeting happens.

Reactions: griffgolf
NK isnt really serious about it, they didnt show up for a meeting a few weeks ago.

Big brother China benefits from holding the"crazy stick" that is NK over our
heads. They won't let it go away.

Reactions: wmnesbitt
Pretty sure Trump said “the meeting will happen, I don’t know how or when, but it will”. Followed by “it’s going to be a great meeting, I don’t know how or why it will be, but I promise you it will be a great meeting”.

I'm far from a Trump supporter, but he always maintained that there was a good possibility that the U.S. would walk away from this summit, even while he was trying to hype it.

FAlDFziuOPeUIEN48EDo5gltmHmAdmikc_WMXRWiInaDm1awh9hpcLht5LDTRjaFWCjClJlENT_znD0fe4JNwODH6MYGvfrZTx22QtmQcrTaqXB_qPcCivDQV1W5CcOwCb050w=w441-h334-nc

I think this is just a negotiating ploy. Trump is dealing from a position of strength. I hope it works out. I have a two week trip booked for Korea in October

Reactions: agantt and idohvac2
I think this is just a negotiating ploy. Trump is dealing from a position of strength. I hope it works out. I have a two week trip booked for Korea in October

What leverage does Trump have that every other president hasn't? It seems like, if anything, NK has more leverage than usual because they have actual nukes that pose an actual threat (not to say that's Trump's fault).

Shocked that a man that once claimed he shot 34 in 18 holes of golf started acting flaky and posturing, not in the least.
Shocked that this meeting didnt happen, nope.

We got 3 hostages back and gave up nothing in return. If NK situation remains status quo I still think its a win.

Every deal has a "shvt or get off the pot" moment. Maybe this is it. We will see.

Kim Jong Un had been trying to get more and more concessions out of threatening to cancel the meeting, Trump probably just wanted to end it since it probably wasnt going to happen anyways. I never thought KJU was serious anyways.

his supporters were already campaigning for the Nobel Peace Prize for the summit with North Korea. I

Not sure I have seen any campaigning for the Nobel.

Did some in the media suggest it if he pulled a meeting off? Yes. Are there people running campaigns for it? Not that I have seen/read.

Not sure I have seen any campaigning for the Nobel.

Did some in the media suggest it if he pulled a meeting off? Yes. Are there people running campaigns for it? Not that I have seen/read.

Are you serious @tigertommy1 ? Trump himself actually said something like "lots of people think I should win the Nobel Peace Prized" or something similar. House Republicans actually submitted nomination for him. Dont blame the media, it came DIRECTLY out of his mouth and DIRECTLY from Republicans.

Quote 1:
Washington (CNN)President Donald Trump told reporters Wednesday that while "everyone thinks" he deserves a Nobel Peace Prize for his involvement in the warming of relations with North Korea, the only prize he wants is a victory for the world.

Trump was asked by a reporter while holding a Cabinet meeting at the White House whether he deserved the honor, to which the President replied with a large smile: "Everyone thinks so, but I would never say it."

Quote 2:
A group of President Donald Trump's most ardent supporters in the House of Representatives have sent a letter to the Norwegian Nobel Committee, formally nominating the President for a Nobel Peace Prize.

The nomination was spearheaded by Indiana's Rep. Luke Messer, who is locked in a fierce GOP primary battle in the Hoosier State for a Senate seat.

Trump's high-stakes nuclear poker tactics on full display

In the letter, Messer and his Republican colleagues endorse Trump's nomination by arguing that he deserves the award because of his work to end the Korean War and bring peace to the peninsula.

Are you serious @tigertommy1 ? Trump himself actually said something like "lots of people think I should win the Nobel Peace Prized" or something similar. House Republicans actually submitted nomination for him. Dont blame the media, it came DIRECTLY out of his mouth and DIRECTLY from Republicans.

Ok, so a few people wrote a letter. Trump had a quote, when he was asked about it.

I just didn't equate that as supporters running a campaign.

I'm sure he did feel real good about himself at that time when asked.

Also, I didn't blame the media. I made a comment that there had been a couple of opinions in the media on the matter, which is factually true.

I think it is a stretch to say there is an orchestrated "campaign" for him to win the Nobel. Nothing more, nothing less. Out of 350+ million people in the US, a couple dozen people made comments and/or wrote a letter nominating him. Not sure how that translates to Trump supporters running a campaign. (let me add that when I say "supporters" - Im talking about the general population, not media or Congress members)

Last edited:
Reactions: Trading Tiger
Ok, so a few people wrote a letter. Trump had a quote, when he was asked about it.

I just didn't equate that as supporters running a campaign.

I'm sure he did feel real good about himself at that time when asked.

Also, I didn't blame the media. I made a comment that there had been a couple of opinions in the media on the matter, which is factually true.

I think it is a stretch to say there is an orchestrated "campaign" for him to win the Nobel. Nothing more, nothing less. Out of 350+ million people in the US, a couple dozen people made comments and/or wrote a letter nominating him. Not sure how that translates to Trump supporters running a campaign.
Oh, it's a campaign alright. A full blown, Super PAC, double dog campaign.

What leverage does Trump have that every other president hasn't? It seems like, if anything, NK has more leverage than usual because they have actual nukes that pose an actual threat (not to say that's Trump's fault).

IMHO he seems to have the ballz to follow through with the really tough sanctions that have made a real difference. He was able to get China on board which no other President has been able to do. He is also a bit erratic and unhinged at times (maybe by design) and would probably follow through with military action. No one ever thought Obama would do that and the the North was not far enough along in their program for Bush to be too concerned. Maybe they werent far enough along for Obama to be as aggressive as Trump is. Its kind of perfect storm of where the North Koreans are with their nuclear program and an aggressive President that has finally gotten North Korea's attention. The sanctions are still in place and the N. Korean regime will be in dire financial straights by November (assuming the Chinese don't change their course). Kim has been backed into a corner.

Reactions: CMTiger15
They want Trump to get a Nobel for a possible historic peace deal, when Obama got it for running around the world and apologizing for us being Americans after only a few months in office.

Obama got it after two weeks in office. He didn't even know where all the bathrooms were in the White House yet

well .... one of his minions pretty much torpedoed the whole thing with the "Libyan Model" comment. Of all the things that couldve been said, that was probably the worst. Literally any other words wouldve been better ..... and of course Trump didnt have the ability to tactfully clarify Bolton's statement or diplomatically walk them back or soften them. Regardless of the outcome, this has been mismanaged ..... MUCH like Kathleen Kennedy's comments about people who didnt like The Last Jedi, ya know @acwill07 favorite movie ... ;)

Agreed! I don’t think all of Trump’s appointments have been bad, but there have been a few terrible ones, with John Bolton topping the list for me (the Mooch a close second for me). He’s way too crazy hawkish to be in that position, particularly for this administration.

His uniformed base did. They already had him winning a Nobel Peace Prize. Someone needs to sit him down and explain in small words the history of North Korea and America.

Actually I believe I believe his informed base knows and understands exactly what he's doing. Trump being Trump .

Balls...an often-overlooked trump card if you will. Especially this day and age

Balls...an often-overlooked trump card if you will. Especially this day and age
I mean come on... You are literally talking about the person who wrote the book on the art of the deal

They want Trump to get a Nobel for a possible historic peace deal, when Obama got it for running around the world and apologizing for us being Americans after only a few months in office.

Look, if he can actually get an enforceable peace/denuclearization deal with North Korea then I will campaign for him to get the Nobel Price. Just dont act like you have done anything before you have done anything. Ultimately it was Trump's own people like Bolton and Pence that might have screwed up this meeting though...

Look, if he can actually get an enforceable peace/denuclearization deal with North Korea then I will campaign for him to get the Nobel Price. Just dont act like you have done anything before you have done anything. Ultimately it was Trump's own people like Bolton and Pence that might have screwed up this meeting though...

Fair point.

That was nice of us to give NK some nice propaganda fodder for nothing.

That was nice of us to give NK some nice propaganda fodder for nothing.

They did destroy some nuclear stuff (per media reports), they met with SK.

I think those things are positive. I think the people who actually live in that part of the world would see those are being favorable, and good first steps.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT