ADVERTISEMENT

****On Saturday's demonstration in Clemson

Larry_Williams

Senior Writer - Tigerillustrated.com
Staff
Oct 28, 2008
Basement

The main organizers of Saturday's Clemson Community Peaceful Demonstration -- Mike Jones, Trevor Lawrence, Cornell Powell and Darien Rencher -- took part in a media teleconference a while ago to discuss the event and their thoughts on everything that led to it.

Here's a rundown on what they said:

Rencher: Wanted to respond to our community and the world at large. Wanted to come up with something that says Black lives do matter, and to unify our community. Been awesome to see everyone in the community come together in the shadows. Hopefully it will be a pivot moment as we fight for equality.

Lawrence: We really wanted to do it the right way. Need to recognize everyone before us that has come together to make a difference. We want to bring people together. We don’t want to divide further. Not just athletes. It’ll be open to the whole community, which is awesome. We’ve had constant communication with the leadership, which has been really cool.

Mike Jones: My heart felt the need to do something and everyone came together. The whole community is behind us. I felt it was something we had to do.

Cornell Powell: A great way to use our platform and get our message out that we want equality in everything we do as a black community and stop police brutality. This is really going to bring the community together and do justice for us.

(On what the last couple weeks have been like amid so much unrest nationally)

Rencher: As a young black man it’s been draining. Can’t remember the last time I’ve been this emotionally drained. All your emotions are flooded with what’s going on, constant images of the evil in this world. There is reason to be angry and to rage, but it’s been cool to see my white friends and others not just listening but believing the stories of what it’s like to be black in America.

Jones: Personally was heartbroken at first because growing up it feels like I’ve seen it over and over again. But right now I feel more hopeful than I have in my entire life. I’ve had tough conversations that have shown me the whole world cares right now. We’re about to change the world.

Lawrence: At first you have something in your gut that you need to do something. Then you get overwhelmed wondering what you can do. It has been exhausting but cool to see everyone come together. Step 3 of this has been let’s figure out what to do and be united in doing it. Amazing that we can get this many people on the same page to do something.

(On senior meeting with Coach Swinney)

Powell: The meeting was basically about him being able to listen to us and hearing our pain and our frustration with what’s going on around the world. The black players on the team are really hurting from what’s going on and he did a great job of listening and hearing our thoughts. In the end he gave some great feedback and great discussion for us. It was really good for us to get our feelings out as a group. We then did it with the whole team. And we grew as a team and moved forward.

Rencher: That was probably my most impactful meeting over my four years at Clemson. For the first time I feel like people actually want to listen to us. Coach Swinney and Kathleen just wanted to listen and hear our hearts. You can’t really blame somebody for how they grew up.

(On criticism of Dabo Swinney and how he’s handled it)

Powell: He’s been amazing to me and my family. He’s such a genuine and loving guy. Every player he’s coached can back that 100 percent. He’s handled this perfectly. He’s communicated to us.

Rencher: We can all be educated on how better to handle a situation. The best thing he’s done is consult the seniors and staff. We don’t want anything to divide us. We want to unify everyone on our team, staff, players. For us to even have this event, that’s him empowering us players and giving us more of a voice.

Jones: He’s been an awesome dude since I met him. The good thing is he’s trying to understand the things that are different from me to him. He identified that there needs to be change, and now he’s asking how to do it.

Lawrence: He’s shown an effort to learn. I’ve had a lot to learn and it’s been cool to learn from these guys. For people that don’t know Coach Swinney it’s easy to judge, but the biggest testament comes from the people who are around him every day.

(Trevor, on his social-media post and how important it was to use his platform)

I think just realizing my part in all this, realizing I do have a part to play. Even though these issues don’t affect me it does affect the world I’m living in. I want my kids to live in a world that’s equal.

(Mike Jones, on the conversations with white friends and whether they have a better understanding)

100 percent. People need to realize that when we see this stuff on TV it affects us in a big way. The conversations have been hard at times, but hard conversations is how you make change.

(On the most powerful and revealing thing they’ve seen from Dabo Swinney during this process)

Rencher: Coach Swinney came from a hard background. He came from nothing to become who he is. But at the same time, being black we didn’t get to choose it. For him to acknowledge that people can from a tough place, if you’re black you’re still behind. I think he’s understood that the whole time. We’ve shed tears and he does understand that black lives do matter. He’s verbally told us over and over again: I love you guys and support you guys, and I want to educate myself and devote resources to your cause.

(On Nuk Hopkins and others saying they want to see all references to Calhoun and Ben Tillman removed from campus)

Rencher: He also said how much Swinney has meant to him as a man. I think Nuk represents a lot of people who think black people should be a forethought, not an afterthought. Everyone is trying to move that ball forward, and Nuk is trying to play his part and see his university be the standard for what it looks like to support black people and black players. More than ever, Nuk has been more supportive of Clemson as he sees the changes we’re trying to make.

Powell: I think he was saying being a black student at Clemson and seeing an honors college named after Calhoun is really not promoting change. That’s how I took it.

Rencher: Being in conversations with people at the university, I know it’s a priority. That’s on the list to fight for stuff like that. We’re seeing it’s doable. Hopefully in the days to come we’ll see more stuff like that happen.

(On what it means to be backed by Trevor and white teammates through this)

Jones: Personally it means literally the world to me. It showed me things have to change because the support has never been like this my whole life. It shows me we’re more than just football players.

Powell: It was big for me, seeing them want to be educated and wanting to understand my pain and my teammates pain. Using their platform to speak out was really big. They care about me and how my life is affected by all this.

Rencher: Talking to my grandparents and parents, there is a difference in the world right now. It’s really become a humanity vs. inequality thing. Everyone is coming together to fight for the rights of black people in America. Before, a lot of people didn’t even listen to the stories. But now they’re listening and believing. It’s real. It’s true. Everybody has a role in this thing to move the ball forward.

(More on the meeting at Dabo's house and whether the Pearman situation came up)

Rencher: We definitely addressed it. Obviously it wasn't right. Like everybody is learning from things like this, it got brought up during a time of heightened racial tension. I feel like it really happened between those two guys. I was on the team then and nobody knew about it until it got whispered out. D.J. is close with Pearman and comes back to games. It was a really sticky situation for it to come out now with everything going on because it painted it like Coach Swinney didn't handle it the right way. Even a topic like that was touchy and it was good we discussed it. It was a family talk and I think it was good.

Powell: Coach Pearman's and Greenlee's situation should speak volumes on that situation. DJ's dad works for the football program. They continue to communicate and DJ comes to the games. Everything is still intact with the individuals involved. They took care of it and moved on from it.

(On why not just be a football player)

Trevor: We still have values and beliefs as humans, and you want to make things right that aren't right. That's really where I'm coming from.

FROM THE TIGER FAN SHOP: Click HERE to check out all of our inventory, plus early summer DEALS on officially-licensed CLEMSON apparel!
otfe2o092dmfhuozk0zv

Trevor Lawrence said:
He’s[Coach Swinney's] shown an effort to learn. I’ve had a lot to learn and it’s been cool to learn from these guys. For people that don’t know Coach Swinney it’s easy to judge, but the biggest testament comes from the people who are around him every day.

Wow, I didn't realize Lawrence hated Clemson so much! /sarcasm.

Sounds like a true collaboration and partnership amongst the students and admin. This is how change is made and continued. Well done.

Reactions: JAMCRACKER99
  • Hey Larry. Read on twitter Trevor said if someone disagreed with this, he did not want them as a fan or something to that effect. Was that true or Connally stiring the pot? Doesn’t sound like Trevor. Also anyone know if any outside groups will be there besides the players?

Last edited:
Major Shoutout to Coach Venables for standing with Mike Jones on this one.

Mike Jones is on The ROAR saying he was at a protest in Greenville when BV gave him a call to check on him. He told Mike that they should do something and that he should get his teammates, staffers, coaches all in on it and that they would get behind them. He said knowing he had someone that passionate behind him gave him the courage to step forward and help lead the organization of this protest.

• Hey Larry. Read on twitter Trevor said if someone disagreed with this, he did not want them as a fan or something to that effect. Was that true or Connally stiring the pot? Doesn’t sound like Trevor. Also anyone know if any outside groups will be there besides the players?
Why would anyone disagree with what they are doing? Treating everyone equally and with respect and recognizing that people of color as well as native Americans have not been treated that way throughout the history of this country. I don't know if he said it, but I can understand it if he did.

Agree. Really impressed with those guys.
Thanks for the interviews Larry. I support these young men and their efforts to strive for more equality for Black Americans and for more awareness by white people like me of their struggles that we do not see. Peaceful, calm, rationale discussions can help facilitate change for the better in most circumstances. I hope their demonstration is successful in bringing folks in the Clemson community that we all cherish closer together.

(On the most powerful and revealing thing they’ve seen from Dabo Swinney during this process)

Rencher: Coach Swinney came from a hard background. He came from nothing to become who he is. But at the same time, being black we didn’t get to choose it. For him to acknowledge that people can from a tough place, if you’re black you’re still behind. I think he’s understood that the whole time. We’ve shed tears and he does understand that black lives do matter. He’s verbally told us over and over again: I love you guys and support you guys, and I want to educate myself and devote resources to your cause.

Very powerful and insightful considering how many close minded individuals rail against the term "white privilege" meanwhile Coach Swinney not only understands it but has built his program to deal with it with his vision is PAW program as an example.

Why would anyone disagree with what they are doing? Treating everyone equally and with respect and recognizing that people of color as well as native Americans have not been treated that way throughout the history of this country. I don't know if he said it, but I can understand it if he did.
You can read the comments from the numnuts on this board. Too many on here believe African American players should score touchdowns, catch fly balls or shoot and shut up about social issues. Now having TL part of the discussion got them feeling some type of way. Plus their silence is a did give away

Likely because the message is not being relayed correctly. It is clear from the Clemson Football Facebook post that this BLM rally is very split, and it is split because of a couple different ways this message is relayed.

1. You can state all you want that "every life matters" but in this movement only one race is being represented specifically. You can see how that will be divisive.

2. The term white privilege is seen as racist by a lot of the white community, at the very least it is going to be dividing (and that is NOT what you want). That is a big objective of the BLM movement to explain systemic racism. The problem is that movement also ignores the millions of white people who also have dealt with some of the same struggles (someone on this board the other day called these people "white trash". It also relays a message that any person with white skin color lived a life that was provided, and not earned (which is simply not true for a lot of white people). Also, very dividing.

3. The BLM is a political movement that is being used in a way that it shouldn't. Once you attach yourself to a certain political party that alone will be divisive.

All of this is very divisive and pretty easy to see why there is a kickback to some of the movements. I fully believe both sides want to love each other and be great human beings towards one another. Its the message, and how we get there.

I think is is great and have ZERO issues with it UNLESS it is an organized BLM thing (which I don’t think it is). BLM has been exposed to be a democratically funded group that gets paid for violence and “kill the police”.
Glad to see the maturity of our guys.
I can all but guarantee that this is in support of the BLM movement. Also yikes.

The official BLM organization, or the loosely organized "BLM movement" that is basically just anybody against police brutality against black people?

Take a look at the official BLM's beliefs here: https://blacklivesmatter.com/what-we-believe/

Its not quite exactly just protesting against police brutality, its not that simple. Of course everyone does not condone that.

If it were just "one nation standing up against police brutality against all" then you would see more unity on this. Just a thought.

Its not quite exactly just protesting against police brutality, its not that simple. Of course everyone does not condone that.

If it were just "one nation standing up against police brutality against all" then you would see more unity on this. Just a thought.
I just mean that "black lives matter" as a slogan is impossible for anybody but a racist to disagree with. Disrupting the nuclear family, dismantling cisgender privilege, and being queer affirming is a little more controversial.

Couple of random thoughts:

1. You see why Rencher, and guys like Rencher, are valued by Swinney, put on scholarship and kept on scholarship.

2. Move past whatever the opinion is on how Swinney has handled the last couple of weeks, good bad or whatever -- I like how the people at the top, Swinney chief among them, have empowered the young men to have the voice here and develop/bring out their leadership qualities. This, IMO, is what you seek from the college experience.

Sure, you could easily see a few national media types framing it as Swinney "hiding" in the background. I think it's quite the opposite. How many head coaches in this position let or trust their guys be the voice for the program in such an important matter?

3. Jones and Rencher, this is the personality I've seen from them before. Compelling to see Powell a part of it considering his collegiate journey, and impressive to see Lawrence continuing to come out of his shell, so to speak. I don't think we'd have seen Trevor out in front of the group quite like this coming out of HS, per se. But a maturation that will be invaluable to him as he attempts to go on and be that leader of men type in the professional ranks.

You can read the comments from the numnuts on this board. Too many on here believe African American players should score touchdowns, catch fly balls or shoot and shut up about social issues. Now having TL part of the discussion got them feeling some type of way. Plus their silence is a did give away

Do you think folks will be more open to players taking a knee during the anthem? I never really "got" where they were coming from until all of this happened. I was just against taking a knee for patriotic reasons. But I see now they are more about making a statement and getting attention for an issue that has not gotten the attention perhaps that is deserved.

Do you think folks will be more open to players taking a knee during the anthem? I never really "got" where they were coming from until all of this happened. I was just against taking a knee for patriotic reasons. But I see now they are more about making a statement and getting attention for an issue that has not gotten the attention perhaps that is deserved.

One would hope. I think players have always been clear about there motives for kneeling, but some people have always chosen to take it in a different direction. I think the important distinction is communicating that not everyone feels the same thing when they hear the national anthem.

Couple of random thoughts:

1. You see why Rencher, and guys like Rencher, are valued by Swinney, put on scholarship and kept on scholarship.

2. Move past whatever the opinion is on how Swinney has handled the last couple of weeks, good bad or whatever -- I like how the people at the top, Swinney chief among them, have empowered the young men to have the voice here and develop/bring out their leadership qualities. This, IMO, is what you seek from the college experience.

Sure, you could easily see a few national media types framing it as Swinney "hiding" in the background. I think it's quite the opposite. How many head coaches in this position let or trust their guys be the voice for the program in such an important matter?

3. Jones and Rencher, this is the personality I've seen from them before. Compelling to see Powell a part of it considering his collegiate journey, and impressive to see Lawrence continuing to come out of his shell, so to speak. I don't think we'd have seen Trevor out in front of the group quite like this coming out of HS, per se. But a maturation that will be invaluable to him as he attempts to go on and be that leader of men type in the professional ranks.

Well said.

One would hope. I think players have always been clear about there motives for kneeling, but some people have always chosen to take it in a different direction. I think the important distinction is communicating that not everyone feels the same thing when they hear the national anthem.
Kaepernick was pretty clear about why he was doing it, and "people" who disagreed with that reason weren't wrong about Kaepernick's reasoning. Many of the people who came after Kaepernick probably didn't have as radical politics as Kaepernick apparently has.

Reactions: BigTimeTiger

This is the truth.

After the 35-31 National Title victory of the Tigers over Bama, I saw a YouTube video of the Don Munson Radio Call of the final drive recorded in some guy's house. It looked like a video of a group of Clemson fans listening to the game in some guy's man cave.

Anyway, on that championship winning drive, right after Watson hit Renfrow on that final third down conversion as they were getting into scoring position, one of the rednecks listening to the radio dropped the N bomb on Watson...as Watson didn't immediately call timeout after completing the pass to Renfrow for a first down.

History got made a few plays later, and all of those jackasses celebrated like there was no tomorrow. To me, that was one of the most blatant displays of racist BS that is clear among this fanbase. And yeah, I know all fanbases have them. But, people like that clearly only want to see black people in a certain type of box.

I was surprised that YouTube actually allowed that video. It's probably still posted.

Very powerful and insightful considering how many close minded individuals rail against the term "white privilege" meanwhile Coach Swinney not only understands it but has built his program to deal with it with his vision is PAW program as an example.

The most inspiring thing I've read on this board concerning this matter but you just had to bring your racist point of view into it.

Reactions: harristeeter
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT