ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Ancestry DNA Kit

I'm no expert on genealogy so yall bear with me if I'm way off base.

I thought, though, that different traits passed along family lines in different patterns. Thus I and my sister may have inherited different portions of the family line. So, I may be 30% Irish and she 20% or something along those lines.

That may be why some of you aren't seeing the native american descent within the results....Your pale ass just didn't get those genes, haha. For any experts out there, am I anywhere close to correct here?

You and your sister would not necessarily have the same percentages, no. You would both be in the same ballpark but it wouldn't have to be exactly the same.

And yes, going far enough you should lose any trace DNA from an ancestor of a specific kind, but if they were something off the wall like a Cherokee or Aztec then it'll take more than a few generations to completely disappear as an individual subset.

In my case the one side of the family all generally look the same. Dark eyes, dark hair, noses & cheekbones appear native american, but nothing came back as Cherokee.

Reactions: TKL67
Where do you search for this? I’d be interested in seeing what the results would be.

Honestly, depending on how common your last name is you can use google last name searches. My last name is pretty unique. I had a cousin put together a family tree years ago and worked off some of his findings. This is where I found out about some of the spelling morphology.

Interestingly enough, a single adoption can skew last name results. DNA is far more accurate.

Reactions: ChiefTiger
Honestly, depending on how common your last name is you can use google last name searches. My last name is pretty unique. I had a cousin put together a family tree years ago and worked off some of his findings. This is where I found out about some of the spelling morphology.

Interestingly enough, a single adoption can skew last name results. DNA is far more accurate.
Yep. Another problem that some have is how ancestors, particular immigrants, changed names. And they didn't necessarily change it to match other members of their family. DNA is helping to bridge those gaps.

It was the best thing that I could have ever done. I had hit a brick wall with my grandmother's surname of Ross, as well as her mother's father (my 2nd great-grandfather) Joseph Banner Sprague who came from Canada. DNA was able to verify who I thought the next generation of parents were. I got my last surviving aunt to do it, now one of my sisters got a kit. For someone with 100,000 people and growing on their tree, it has opened up a multitude of possibilities. As a genealogist, I encourage everyone to do this, if not for themselves, for their children.
I think the best thing you could do would be to save $10 a month and give up posting.

Protect your DNA...you can do a name search and find out 80-90% of what these DNA tests will show you.

I searched my last name years ago and found out Western European Celtic/ Scottish/ Irish/ German ancestry. I found our family coat of arms and how the spelling had changed through the years.

There's no way I'd put my DNA in a vial and send it to some nameless, faceless, cough... cough... government database.
While your stance might have merit, I sure don’t live my life worrying about that sort of stuff. To each their own.

Apparently Native Americans have declined to participate in DNA testing, giving ancestry very little to use for reference sampling for North American Native Americans. Unless things have changed, that could be the problem. My Grandpa's Granddad was 100% Cherokee and I did not receive any percentage in my DNA. I could trace my family all the way back to him, but then it goes cold. It could just be a coincidence as well though.
What makes you say that?

What makes you say that?
There are multiple reasons, and things are improving with more submitting. But possibly the biggest reason is that you can be dis-enrolled from a tribe if your lineage isn't what you think/say it is.

There are multiple reasons, and things are improving with more submitting. But possibly the biggest reason is that you can be dis-enrolled from a tribe if your lineage isn't what you think/say it is.
I understand some of the consequences, I’m just wondering where you’ve heard that they aren’t participating.

I understand some of the consequences, I’m just wondering where you’ve heard that they aren’t participating.
A ton of places. It seems to be common knowledge. Some tribes have stated that they are getting more people to submit to testing, but I haven't seen anything that corroborates their statements yet.

And if you look at the descriptions of most of the "Native American" swaths, they don't include anything mentioning tribes outside of Alaska and the Western US.

Found out that my GGG Grandfather was part of the Jacobite rebels during the 1715 rebellion against England. The English assaulted their town 14 November 1715 and forced them to surrender. As punishment, he was put aboard the ship, the "Elizabeth and Ann", commanded by Edward Trafford, which left Liverpool, England 28 July 1716 bound for Virginia and Jamaica with 128 prisoners.

Even crazier... my dad was adopted at months old. His biological fathers Great Great Great grandad was also on that same ship. What's the chances.

They were white slaves. Found some crazy pictures. Sad pictures too.

But that was through Ancestry. I've never sent my DNA to anyone and don't plan on it.

Last edited:
While your stance might have merit, I sure don’t live my life worrying about that sort of stuff. To each their own.

I don't "live my life worrying about it" because I'm not sending mine off to some company I know nothing about. People fight DNA results (for different reasons) for decades. Think about how the court of public opinion is swayed by the phrase "DNA results confirms..." !

One of my great aunts did a full family tree years ago. We have updated it since then and its framed and hanging in my house. I am awaiting the next update as I used a sharpie to remove my ex from it.

Its fascinating really and it goes all the way back to the first of my people to come to America, Colonel George Chicken.

lhttp://www.carolana.com/Carolina/Explorers/mauricemoore_et_al.html

Found out that my Grandfather was part of the Jacobite rebels during the 1715 rebellion against England. The English assaulted their town 14 November 1715 and forced them to surrender. As punishment, he was put aboard the ship, the "Elizabeth and Ann", commanded by Edward Trafford, which left Liverpool, England 28 July 1716 bound for Virginia and Jamaica with 128 prisoners.

Even crazier... my dad was adopted at months old. His biological fathers Great Great Great grandad was also on that same ship. What's the chances.

They were white slaves. Found some crazy pictures. Sad pictures too.

But that was through Ancestry. I've never sent my DNA to anyone and don't plan on it.
A grandfather living as an adult in 1715? Sounds about 175-225 years off. May be your grandfather's grandfather's grandfather?

Mmmm... it is worldwide. The entire continent of Africa has very similar DNA among natives and is consider one pool. The entire western hemisphere is a single gene pool in regards to Native Americans. The natives in the Falkland Islands of Argentina and the Eskimo peoples of the Artic and Alaska and all in between have very similar DNA.

Europe and Asia are broken down into many unique gene pools.
NRe:Africa Not according to Ancestry .com . They admitted that I had African ancestry but could not identify the specifics. Admitted multiple African gene pools.

How much does one cost that gives you details and names as far as they can go back? How is that presented? Book? How long does it take to get it back?

How much does one cost that gives you details and names as far as they can go back? How is that presented? Book? How long does it take to get it back?

Ancestry doesnt do that. You do it yourself.

If you want to pay someone else to do all this research, thousands of dollars.

Reactions: clemsonu96
I don't "live my life worrying about it" because I'm not sending mine off to some company I know nothing about. People fight DNA results (for different reasons) for decades. Think about how the court of public opinion is swayed by the phrase "DNA results confirms..." !
Just don’t forget your tinfoil hat when you walk outside, they can read your mind ya know.

Reactions: Hey Y'all
"Found out that my GGG Grandfather was part of the Jacobite rebels during the 1715 rebellion against England. The English assaulted their town 14 November 1715 and forced them to surrender. As punishment, he was put aboard the ship, the "Elizabeth and Ann", commanded by Edward Trafford, which left Liverpool, England 28 July 1716 bound for Virginia and Jamaica with 128 prisoners."

My Ross ancestor was on that boat, called Scripto...He too was captured during the Jacobite Rebellion, at the Battle of Preston on 9 Nov 1715. The information reads as such:

Arrived first in Antigua, then Virginia Colony, America, on ship Scipio from Liverpool. Read Jacobite Rebellion Ships and The Original Scots Colonists of Early America from media gallery, also, Directory of Scots Banished to the American Plantations, 1650-1775.

List of about 300 Scottish rebels captured at the Battle of Preston, Lancashire, in 1716 and transported variously to Carolina Colony (North & South Carolina; Carolina officially split to North and South in 1729), Virginia, Maryland, Jamaica, Leeward Islands, St. Christopher and Barbados.

Pocahontas has a very narrow path that anyone can connect to. I was very close, but just missed her by a bit. I'm a direct descendant of her 2nd (?) husband, but my ancestor was by his 1st wife before Pocahontas.

Always wondered how legit this is

Send someone sitting in an office $100 and a qtip.... they can send back whatever cocktail of descendants that fancies 'em at that moment

Reactions: Emergence
Always wondered how legit this is

Send someone sitting in an office $100 and a qtip.... they can send back whatever cocktail of descendants that fancies 'em at that moment

I think it's pretty accurate based on my usage. I sent mine in back in July and had a 1st cousin send his in after Christmas and he showed up as a likely 1st cousin. They would have no way of knowing that we were related and the amount of shared DNA was indicative of 1st cousins.. The regions are somewhat estimates that will become more accurate over time butI have a pretty good record of my heritage via documentation and it matches fairly closely. Have other distant relatives that have same ggg grandfather and they match a small segment of my DNA and appear in my matches.

Last edited:
My father-in-law did it and was expecting almost an entirely British Isles background. He ended up having a significant amount of Scandavian descent.

What I found very interesting was the breakdown that he received about how peoples moved throughout the centuries. More than likely, his people were all from the British Isles, but Scandinavian blood lines were inserted through the Viking conquests.

I'm currently under the assumption that I'm 50% English, 25% Irish, and 25% Polish. Since Poland was the stomping ground of Europe for centuries, I'm very curious to see what shows up there.
Well at one time, Englaland was on the verge of being called Daneland.... so...

All the government conspiracy theorists crack me up. What are they really going to do with your DNA? Clone you? Use it to confirm you are a serial murderer? L.O.L.

Anyway, I did my test a few months back hoping for interesting results. Add me to the group with native American ancestors that didn't show up in the test. My great grandmother was "full blooded" Cherokee, or so they say...either way, pictures seem to confirm she was some form of native American. My results showed that I am 98.7 % Western European...in other words, just another white guy.

Reactions: J.Greenbeans
Just sent mine in. What have your experiences been like?

I'm more interested in my genetic/ethnic makeup then connecting with distant family members.

Anyone find out they had a closely related family member they didn't know about?
I was literally thinking about doing this right before picking my phone up and this was the first thread.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT