ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Ancestry DNA Kit

Co workers wife did the kit along with her dad. Unlocked Pandora's box because they found out her mom had an affair and he wasn't daddy. Mom had died year before and took it to her grave. Crazy. All happened while we were overseas. His wife was a wreck and had to deal with it over phone.

All the government conspiracy theorists crack me up. What are they really going to do with your DNA? Clone you? Use it to confirm you are a serial murderer? L.O.L.

Anyway, I did my test a few months back hoping for interesting results. Add me to the group with native American ancestors that didn't show up in the test. My great grandmother was "full blooded" Cherokee, or so they say...either way, pictures seem to confirm she was some form of native American. My results showed that I am 98.7 % Western European...in other words, just another white guy.

I hear ya on the photos. I have the same predicament where she LOOKS Native American but the DNA says no. Pictures don’t prove shit.

Reactions: Tigerpaw00
Co workers wife did the kit along with her dad. Unlocked Pandora's box because they found out her mom had an affair and he wasn't daddy. Mom had died year before and took it to her grave. Crazy. All happened while we were overseas. His wife was a wreck and had to deal with it over phone.
Well, now. That's awful.

My father told me that we had a little Cherokee Indian in our blood ..... after I got my DNA tests I had to inform him that was not true.

The rest of my results came back what I expected, Irish, Scottish, and German. What was surprising was that I was like 8% Italian. None of my relatives had ever mentioned anything about being the least bit Italian .... then it dawned on me .... when the Roman Empire was raping and pillaging their way across Briton and Germania, one of my relatives must have had a really really bad day.

All the government conspiracy theorists crack me up. What are they really going to do with your DNA? Clone you? Use it to confirm you are a serial murderer? L.O.L.

Anyway, I did my test a few months back hoping for interesting results. Add me to the group with native American ancestors that didn't show up in the test. My great grandmother was "full blooded" Cherokee, or so they say...either way, pictures seem to confirm she was some form of native American. My results showed that I am 98.7 % Western European...in other words, just another white guy.
Nothing so James Bond - just discrimination on healthcare, denial of services based on their judgment of value to the collective. You know- prog stuff.

I'm no expert on genealogy so yall bear with me if I'm way off base.

I thought, though, that different traits passed along family lines in different patterns. Thus I and my sister may have inherited different portions of the family line. So, I may be 30% Irish and she 20% or something along those lines.

That may be why some of you aren't seeing the native american descent within the results....Your pale ass just didn't get those genes, haha. For any experts out there, am I anywhere close to correct here?
um no. Stick to crack

Reactions: CUarchgrad
I haven't done it,but have been thinking about it. My mom & dad and grandma were all really into genealogy. I mean hundreds of hours spent at libraries, and county offices looking at census results, church records, marriage records. All kinds if stuff before the internet. They've been able to do a lot more over the last 15 years with the internet and software.

My dad has traced his his side back to Sweden and goes back to the 1700's. Of course we knew my great grandpa & great grandma had immigrated to Gary, IN in the early 1900's from Sweden. He was a metallurgist for US steel.

My mom traced one part of her ancestry back to where my 8*great grandfather immigrated from England and founded a church near North, SC. I don't think she could get very far on her dad's side, but he looked like he was part native american.

My grandmother had traced her ancestry back to King James (of the bible).

Reactions: TKL67
My father told me that we had a little Cherokee Indian in our blood ..... after I got my DNA tests I had to inform him that was not true.

The rest of my results came back what I expected, Irish, Scottish, and German. What was surprising was that I was like 8% Italian. None of my relatives had ever mentioned anything about being the least bit Italian .... then it dawned on me .... when the Roman Empire was raping and pillaging their way across Briton and Germania, one of my relatives must have had a really really bad day.

The Romans never invaded Ireland, and were turned back from both Scotland and Germany very quickly. Sorry about the whore great-grandma :(

Reactions: Pvilletigerfan
Just sent mine in. What have your experiences been like?

I'm more interested in my genetic/ethnic makeup then connecting with distant family members.

Anyone find out they had a closely related family member they didn't know about?

My biological father was adopted in a closed adoption, so mine turned up some interesting results. I found several 2nd cousins that I had no idea about. My heritage was interesting as well. I knew I had some German lineage, but everything else was a surprise.
My dad was adopted too, so I needed to do one of these to try and get some idea of a medical history. I got one for Christmas, the 23 and me I think, but I still haven't sent it in yet.

LOL at y'all tinfoil hat wearing people ITT. If you are worried about the government having your DNA, I hope y'all don't have jobs outside of your home.

Heard the same Cherokee stories my whole life. Tried to tell my family how common that story is and that it was likely BS. Took a DNA test for them to believe me.

Survey says...You're white AF

42% Western Europe
18% Irish/Scottish/Welsh
16% British
11% Scandinavian
8% Iberian Peninsula
Small, random mix of Finnish/Russian, Eastern European and European Jewish

Proud that I just connected to this lady as my 23rd great-grandmother:

6a0348f8-b182-412c-91b3-79436f08ba38.jpg

Princess Elisabeth "Saint Elizabeth" Árpád, Landgrafin of Thüringia, Princess of Croatia & Hungary, Saint of the Roman Catholic, Anglican & Lutheran Churches

Birth 7 JUL 1207 • Sárospatak Castle, Sárospatak, Borsod-Abauj-Zemplen, Hungary
Death 17 NOV 1231 • Marburg, Marburg-Biedenkopf, Hessen, Germany

"Sir Francis Bacon"

Depending on which Sir Francis Bacon, his pedigree may include:

~ Alexander II (27th King) of SCOTS

~ Berenger (Berengarius) II of IVREA, King of ITALY

~ Henry I CAPET (King) of FRANCE

~ Henry (Heinrich) I `the Fowler' (Duke) of SAXONY, EMPEROR of GERMANY; founded First Reich

~ Dermod (IV; na Gall) MacMORROUGH, 78th King (58th Christian King) of LEINSTER

Just to name a few

I'm no expert on genealogy so yall bear with me if I'm way off base.

I thought, though, that different traits passed along family lines in different patterns. Thus I and my sister may have inherited different portions of the family line. So, I may be 30% Irish and she 20% or something along those lines.

That may be why some of you aren't seeing the native american descent within the results....Your pale ass just didn't get those genes, haha. For any experts out there, am I anywhere close to correct here?

oh I’m offended now....Gonna have to change the Redskins name for sure. heehee. i wasn’t aware of the different traits / family lines where 2 siblings could inherit different genes s traits. That is fascinating. I haven’t done the test, but I’m pretty sure that I’m 50/50 Welsh/German. But that’s what mammy told me, would be killer to find out I’m 3% Morraccan. And 1%er Hell’s Angel from SoCal.

All or (most?) of Y chromosome can only pass down the from the father to son, whereas mitochondrial (mtDNA) DNA is passed down by the mother. Ancestry.com used to use these methods, but retired their Y-DNA and mtDNA testing however, I think in 2012 in favor of the autosomal. An autosome is any of the numbered chromosomes, as opposed to the sex chromosomes. These can be passed by both parents. If you are looking to tie to a specific male surname to see what (where) you tie into a group, then only the Y chromosome test (which are available from other places) can help you.

Heard the same Cherokee stories my whole life. Tried to tell my family how common that story is and that it was likely BS. Took a DNA test for them to believe me.

Survey says...You're white AF

42% Western Europe
18% Irish/Scottish/Welsh
16% British
11% Scandinavian
8% Iberian Peninsula
Small, random mix of Finnish/Russian, Eastern European and European Jewish
Wait. Jews have their own DNA?

Adam and Eve are my great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great uncle and Aunt. Twice removed from my mom's sister's husband's father.

But I did just spit into a tube few weeks ago. So we will see.

I think you will enjoy your results. One thing I found to be interesting was that we were always told my great-grandmother was 100% Cherokee. When my results came back with 0% native american blood, I was a little surprised. Just goes to show you that you can't believe even your most revered family legends sometimes.
"Pocahontas Warren" :D:D

Usually if you connect to the Plantagenet's you also connect to Charlemagne. What got our family tree rolling in the early 1990s was when my mother had a genealogist work on our tree and connected a branch to King Edward III Plantagenet. I did additional research and found a study and research that showed the current family of Queen Elizabeth II as being related to the Prophet Muhammad. I thought this was likely bull, but after spending some time looking into it I found it to be true. King Edward II Plantagenet is connected to Muhammad by his mother Eleanore of Castile. It is through the Muslim Moors and their time in Spain and connecting to Spanish nobles. Not someone who I am proud to be related to, but he is an historical figure nonetheless.

As a historian, I got involved with connecting line through Charlemagne to many of the ancient empires and kingdoms of world history. As it seems from his reputation as being called "The Father of Europe", Charlemagne is descended from the Roman, Byzantine, Egyptian (Ptolemaic and ancient), and the kingdoms of Persia, Assyria, Babylonia, Macedonia, etc. I found him to even be directly descended from the biblical figure King Herod the Great, who sent the Three Wisemen to find the baby Jesus. Absolutely incredible.

Yes, the problem is that I tend to stop when I find something I'm not 100% on, there is one link that is iffy in the whole tree that leads to John of Gaunt, Duke of Lancaster, son of Edward II. If I can verify that one link its golden, because once you get into these lines of knights, they keep very good records of marriages. It was another line that I'm more confident of that traced to a noble family who had records of lineage from Charlemagne.

its more common than some people think. It was the 3rd-4th-5th, etc. sons who came to America, and only the firstborn got the lands and titles. 3rd sons don't get sh** and join the army or clergy.

Has anyone found out they have family that wasn't to nice? The stories I could tell.

Fun, interesting information. Surprised to learn that I am part Scandinavian. No one to my knowledge came from there. So, I supposed the Vikings spread their seed.

Fun, interesting information. Surprised to learn that I am part Scandinavian. No one to my knowledge came from there. So, I supposed the Vikings spread their seed.
Do you have known ancestors from the UK, Ireland, Germany, France, Spain or lesser so from Italy, or North Africa? If so, the Vikings made some kids there. Also, Russia was founded by the Rus tribe from Scandinavia.

Nothing is going likely to be 100%. About the closet to 100% would be the royal family of England that essentially had all genealogy, birth, marriage, death and succession documented. Outside of them or maybe some other royal dynasty in Europe, you are not going to be 100%. In the US you have it pretty good with census record up to 1850. Before 1850, the US census did not document each family member in the household, but just gave you a number. If your lineage comes from the south, and it is in the 1700s, apart from Virginia, record keeping was terrible. I guess they were too busy developing frontiers, fighting Indians and wild animals, and surviving the wilderness and the elements to worry about documenting a record. You may have some land records. Up north, well established courthouses and church records makes it much easier.

My lineage goes through John of Gaunt on one of my branches. Fortunately it is a well documented line with the noble Alston and Browne families of England.

Someone mentioned: "Has anyone found out they have family that wasn't to nice? The stories I could tell."

My do diligence in trying to find out what happened to an ancestor of mine in Horry County that just disappears after the 1850 US Census and is gone by the 1860 Census, finally did payoff in searching newspaper articles just before the 1860's. As I found out, my 3rd great-grandfather was going to receive land from his father-in-law Enoch Stevens (my 4th great-grandfather) in Horry County, when Enoch found out that his son-in-law was going to turn around and sell the land, so Enoch cancelled the deal. Well that infuriated my 3rd great-grandfather, so with his friend James Higgins (Huggins) they went and got drunk, went to Enoch's house, drug him out in the front yard, and beat and stabbed him so badly, that he died 13 days later, but he was able to identify his attackers before he died. They determined that James Higgins dealt the deadly blow with the stock of his gun, fracturing Enoch's skull, and he was the one who stabbed Enoch. My ancestor in court was determined that he did assist in the attack, but he brutally beat Enoch's 2nd wife who tried to stop them, beating her to conscienceless, nearly severing a vein in her neck, and causing her to lose an eye.

Well James Higgins (Huggins) got the death penalty by hanging, and a newspaper article I found said it took place in Feb 1860 with a crowd of 5,000 people watching in Horry County. I guess my 3rd great-grandfather must have plea bargained his way out, as I cannot find out if he did any time yet.

So there is a family secret that never was passed down, or my great-grandmother and 2nd great-grandmother took it to their graves.

Reactions: Hey Y'all and TKL67
"Also, Russia was founded by the Rus tribe from Scandinavia."

This guy's great-grandfather was the one Scandinavian who came over. He his tied in with the Plantagenet line of kings of England. He also had a great-grandson that married in to the line of Byzantine Emperors. This guy calculates as my 26th great-grandfather:

a7b3eb6b-9e4d-40f5-8302-18993f461836.jpg

Prince Vladimir I "The Great" "The Saint" Sviatoslavich Rurikide, Prince of Novgorod, Grand Prince of Kiev, 1st Czar of Russia, Saint of the Russian Orthodox Church (Varangian/Viking Grand Prince of Kiev)

Birth ABT 957 • Kiev, Kiev, Ukraine
Death 15 JUL 1015 • Berestovo, Kyyiv (Kiev), Ukraine

I'm part German, part Scots-Irish, part English.....which explains why I'm a well-organized drunk who's constantly at war with himself.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT