ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Gun Control Changes

#3 - sounds good on the surface but I know some teachers I would not trust with a salad shooter, much less a real gun. What happens if a given school has nobody that wants to carry a firearm? Or if they make a mistake? Remember - schools are where they now call resoure officers to deal with students that won't get off of their damn phone.

The rest - if it stops there I'm good. But I'm afraid that the laws will get stricter and stricter.
Dv-XBMGOpEMwUM2RZY55o2R4QH957Z0_3NaXi8UwlH0.png

Father retired LAPD
Mother a prosecutor
Both sisters teachers
And two trips to Afghanistan as an Infantryman

Thanks for asking
so you want to arm your sisters and you think that should be a policy of the government. To arm educators... rather than say... pay a policeman to be a the school

so you want to arm your sisters and you think that should be a policy of the government. To arm educators... rather than say... pay a policeman to be a the school

What if a student just starts shooting in a classroom? Where there is no policeman? How many die before help comes? I don't know the answers but these are different times we live in today.

Republicans need to understand that opposing measures like #1, #2b and #4 in my OP will lose them elections. The vast majority of people think those are common sense. Pretty easy to paint a a Republican candidate as a right wing gun nut if he supports sales of ARs to 18 year old kids.

Good news is the members of TI generally agree with those items. #3 is rightly controversial. Would love to see a Republican congress and Republican president act quickly to enact #1, some version of #2, #4 and also address mental health issues. Much needed reform and would also help the party in midterm elections. We have the opportunity to become the party of common sense gun reform.

Republicans need to understand that opposing measures like #1, #2b and #4 in my OP will lose them elections. The vast majority of people think those are common sense. Pretty easy to paint a a Republican candidate as a right wing gun nut if he supports sales of ARs to 18 year old kids.

Good news is the members of TI generally agree with those items. #3 is rightly controversial. Would love to see a Republican congress and Republican president act quickly to enact #1, some version of #2, #4 and also address mental health issues. Much needed reform and would also help the party in midterm elections. We have the opportunity to become the party of common sense gun reform.

giphy.gif

just to be clear with these people who wanna arm teachers in schools - are you talking about ALL schools or just the ones with a majority white student and teacher body? cause it's p funny to imagine the same republicans who are terrified of minorities willingly arming black and hispanic people in minority-heavy high schools.

Also take a class on insurgency, counter-insurgency, unconventional warfare and a history of every war since 1765.

Bro, I hope you're not repeating this stuff in public.

for someone who supposedly served (i think you're very likely one of those stolen valor situations), your understanding of our military's capabilities is shockingly limited. you really think your stupid-ass AK-47 is gonna be effective in a drone warfare scenario? just how delusional are you?

Agree. All of that is low hanging fruit.

You can’t get Americans to agree on what color the sky is anymore than they support mandatory background checks.

Reactions: clemsonpaw00

Absolutely but why not both? I had an armed police officer at my high school the day after Columbine. He was there from morning until night. Officer Bolding. And I am putting our kid in a day care in July where the director and assistant director carry.

The point of conceal carry is two fold- have the element of surprise (not become the main target for the criminal, i.e. cops) and to use it only if you have to.

Schools are a target because a lunatic knows he will be on a one way range until a cop shows up to stop him. It doesn't matter what kind of gun you have if you're the only one shooting. See Va Tech

for someone who supposedly served (i think you're very likely one of those stolen valor situations), your understanding of our military's capabilities is shockingly limited. you really think your stupid-ass AK-47 is gonna be effective in a drone warfare scenario? just how delusional are you?

Man you are dumb. Too dumb to even argue with. Go read a book. Maybe start with this:
51yraBYPWjL._SX331_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Also take a class on insurgency, counter-insurgency, unconventional warfare and a history of every war since 1765.

Bro, I hope you're not repeating this stuff in public.

I'm just confused. Is the argument that civilians should have the right to the same weapons as our military?

I don't understand why taking away assault rifles would make us more susceptible to govt take over.

Absolutely but why not both? I had an armed police officer at my high school the day after Columbine. He was there from morning until night. Officer Bolding. And I am putting our kid in a day care in July where the director and assistant director carry.

The point of conceal carry is two fold- have the element of surprise (not become the main target for the criminal, i.e. cops) and to use it only if you have to.

Schools are a target because a lunatic knows he will be on a one way range until a cop shows up to stop him. It doesn't matter what kind of gun you have if you're the only one shooting. See Va Tech

this doesn't hold up to any sort of scrutiny.

a) "schools" were the target for many of these shooters because of personal experience with the school they were shooting up. that they were also an easy place to pick off a lot of people was completely secondary.

b) these mass shootings have now occurred at schools, concerts, movie theaters, places of work, etc. almost any public space is vulnerable because of the ease of getting a gun that can be used in this fashion. you're a myopic fool.

Another thing I’d like to see done—- If we are going to shift blame from these gun deaths to mental illness then it’s time to let the CDC fully study the issue.

#1 should happen.

#2b: no it won’t, you’re thinking what sounds good here is gonna sound good elsewhere.

#4: yes,

this doesn't hold up to any sort of scrutiny.

a) "schools" were the target for many of these shooters because of personal experience with the school they were shooting up. that they were also an easy place to pick off a lot of people was completely secondary.

b) these mass shootings have now occurred at schools, concerts, movie theaters, places of work, etc. almost any public space is vulnerable because of the ease of getting a gun that can be used in this fashion. you're a myopic fool.

Thanks again for proving my point. Gun free zones= soft targets. I'm guessing your home is no different

lol @ ease of getting a gun. your argument is something an 8yr old girl would say.

edit: I am starting to look forward to your replies. They've become comedic relief in a lot of ways

It'll never happen but I'm personally in favor of ending the manufacture and sale of all semi-automatic weapons. You don't need them to hunt, you don't need them to defend your person. Won't fix anything right away but over time the supply will dry up. I think that the practical benefits of gun ownership are not severely affected and it would have a meaningful impact (again over time) on gun violence in the country. Really, I'd like for handguns to only be carried by cops.

Thanks again for proving my point. Gun free zones= soft targets. I'm guessing your home is no different

lol @ ease of getting a gun. your argument is something an 8yr old girl would say.

edit: I am starting to look forward to your replies. They've become comedic relief in a lot of ways

I didn't know that churches, outdoor concerts, and public places were gun free zones.

Not a topic I follow closely, but it seems these are the changes on the table. Would you support? If not, why? I'm a Republican, but not a gun nut, and think these are very reasonable.
  1. Ban modifications like bump stocks that convert legal firearms into something resembling an illegal automatic weapon
  2. Age restriction on gun purchases (Option A: all guns 21+, Option B: semi-auto rifles 21+)
  3. Arm well-trained and well-screened school employees to conceal carry
  4. EDIT: Add improving the background check and screening process

Does anyone disagree with at least banning bump stocks and raising the purchase age to 21 on semi-auto rifles? That seems like a no-brainer. #3 seems like the most controversial.
I can’t wait for the republicans to brag about passing this stuff after they stonewalled Obama on a lot of the exact same reforms.

Not a topic I follow closely, but it seems these are the changes on the table. Would you support? If not, why? I'm a Republican, but not a gun nut, and think these are very reasonable.
  1. Ban modifications like bump stocks that convert legal firearms into something resembling an illegal automatic weapon
  2. Age restriction on gun purchases (Option A: all guns 21+, Option B: semi-auto rifles 21+)

Does anyone disagree with at least banning bump stocks and raising the purchase age to 21 on semi-auto rifles? That seems like a no-brainer. #3 seems like the most controversial.
Gun owner and believer in right to bear arms here. That said, my two cents.

1. Bump stocks are a no brainer. There shouldn't even be a debate. Eliminate them. It should require the same permit to purchase them that it takes to buy an automatic weapon.

2. I'm not opposed to tweaks to the age restriction on some guns. We have laws that say a person who is 18 isn't mature enough to buy a beer, but is mature enough to buy an AK47 assault rifle. Think about how crazy that statement is?

Personally, I have no problem with an 18 year old being able to buy a pump shotgun with normal capacity (up to 6 rounds) or a hunting rifle so that they can go hunting. That said, I don't think limiting them to the purchase of bolt action rifles and pump or double barrel shotguns is a big deal until they are old enough to buy a beer. That makes sense to me. If we truly believe that age of adult is not mature enough to make good decisions on alcohol consumption, it's probably not a reach to at least limit the type of gun they can purchase on their own.

3. I DO NOT believe that teachers or school administrators should be carrying guns in the school, even if they are a CWP holder and are trained in a state that actually requires training. CWP permits would do very little to make me feel comfortable that a person is trained to hold a firearm around my child and make good decisions in a pressure situation that requires quick action you can't take back. Frankly, the requirements to have a CWP in most states require very minimal training if any at all. It opens the door for a LOT more bad things to happen than good things.

Its one thing to carry or own a weapon for the purpose of defending yourself or your own family. It's a totally different level of responsibility to be tasked with protecting the general public, especially large groups of children. That's why we send police officers to police academies for weeks of training and don't just require they get a simple CWP to police and defend the public. Its a totally different level of responsibility. Let police officers police and let teachers teach.

That said, I personally believe there should be an armed, uniformed police officer on every school campus. Whether they are inside the school, outside the main entrance, or located in their car parked outside, there needs to be someone who can quickly act. And there should be a method for every single school official or administrator to alert the officer instantly. Sadly, there was such an officer at this school but he didn't act. So even this alone isn't enough. There is plenty more to be done.

Reactions: JAMCRACKER99
Honestly our youth just needs to do a few years of military service before starting school, preferably ages 4-6 so it’s learned more easily, to be familiar with combat situations. We must do whatever it takes to protect the second amendment. Metal detectors to get into schools, armed perimeters around schools, arming teachers, whatever it takes. I have to be able to carry a gun because I am an American, citizen of the greatest country on Earth.

MAGA

christ are you really arguing that had people been allowed to carry in those scenarios they could've stopped these shootings? how the hell is some guy with a handgun gonna shoot to the 32nd floor of a hotel and stop a dude with multiple semi-automatic weapons? if anything that would've either caused more casualties or at the least more confusion over who was perpetrating the massacre.

you have to be seriously batshit to think that people should feel the need to conceal carry in literally every aspect of life as opposed to just, ya know, passing gun reform and maybe reducing the access to semi-automatic weapons.

4. EDIT: Add improving the background check and screening process

Are they going to raise the military age to 21?

I’m not sure how you can say it will lose them elections. They’ve always opposed those things, most notably after Sandyhook, yet they continue to win elections. The 3 “common sense” things you’re advocating for were things that the Obama admin pushed hard for after Sandyhook and got nothing.

The gun issue is really important to a specific group on the right and to the left. But as you said, it’s not an issue you pay much attention to. I think a lot of voters are in that boat with you. Most people whose votes haven’t been swayed by gun issues in the past generally aren’t going to start voting just on that issue.

Reactions: johnhugh
I’m not sure how you can say it will lose them elections. They’ve always opposed those things, most notably after Sandyhook, yet they continue to win elections. The 3 “common sense” things you’re advocating for were things that the Obama admin pushed hard for after Sandyhook and got nothing.

The gun issue is really important to a specific group on the right and to the left. But as you said, it’s not an issue you pay much attention to. I think a lot of voters are in that boat with you. Most people whose votes haven’t been swayed by gun issues in the past generally aren’t going to start voting just on that issue.

i think you're mostly right but that's certainly changing with my generation (i'm 26) and younger. at some point, that's gonna turn into a rather massive challenge for republicans.

Reactions: dbjork6317
I'm just confused. Is the argument that civilians should have the right to the same weapons as our military?

I don't understand why taking away assault rifles would make us more susceptible to govt take over.

There are at least 10million legally owned AR-15s in the United States. That makes us less susceptible to government takeover.

christ are you really arguing that had people been allowed to carry in those scenarios they could've stopped these shootings? how the hell is some guy with a handgun gonna shoot to the 32nd floor of a hotel and stop a dude with multiple semi-automatic weapons? if anything that would've either caused more casualties or at the least more confusion over who was perpetrating the massacre.

you have to be seriously batshit to think that people should feel the need to conceal carry in literally every aspect of life as opposed to just, ya know, passing gun reform and maybe reducing the access to semi-automatic weapons.

I just realized I'm trying to reason with a 26yr old who has never served and has never been in a fist fight.

I thought this was make-believe:

cryboy.gif

but I guess it's a real thing for some.

i can’t imagine how chaotic an active shooter situation would be if teachers had guns. How does law enforcement know who to shoot?

Last edited:
Reactions: clemsonpaw00
My wife works at a high school in the Upstate. She has a CWP but is not allowed to bring it into the school. The principle is a Marine, (once a Marine always a Marine). There are three former military, ROTC instructors at this school. While most teachers would not want to carry themselves, there are plenty, 4-5 at least, that would be more than willing to receive training, develop a professional defense protocol, etc to protect kids. Also, cops generally don't make as much as teachers. It's a small expense to pay to protect kids. This is not rocket science. We have concealed marshals on planes, we protect the idiots in Congress with armed guards. Do not understand any thinking that schools should not be protected. Wife's school has an armed resource officer, but not sure he's there for the whole day.
With this recent incident, is it not mind blowing to anyone but me that the FBI is not being held accountable? They failed to follow their own protocol, which would have easily prevented this! The press is showing their stripes again by not harping on this aspect. They're too busy promoting their own lib agenda; making it about the guns.

I just realized I'm trying to reason with a 26yr old who has never served and has never been in a fist fight.

I thought this was make-believe:

cryboy.gif

but I guess it's a real thing for some.

soooo does that mean you don't have any counters to what i said?

also what is your obsession with people serving? a fractional percentage of people in this country serve in the military, and most do so because they don't have other viable options, i'm sorry to say.

i'm sorry to destroy your god complex but i didn't serve in the military because i had a scholarship to go to college and the thought literally never even crossed my mind. additionally, i don't have the same massive insecurities as yourself, who apparently needs military service to achieve any sort of validation.

My wife works at a high school in the Upstate. She has a CWP but is not allowed to bring it into the school. The principle is a Marine, (once a Marine always a Marine). There are three former military, ROTC instructors at this school. While most teachers would not want to carry themselves, there are plenty, 4-5 at least, that would be more than willing to receive training, develop a professional defense protocol, etc to protect kids. Also, cops generally don't make as much as teachers. It's a small expense to pay to protect kids. This is not rocket science. We have concealed marshals on planes, we protect the idiots in Congress with armed guards. Do not understand any thinking that schools should not be protected. Wife's school has an armed resource officer, but not sure he's there for the whole day.
With this recent incident, is it not mind blowing to anyone but me that the FBI is not being held accountable? They failed to follow their own protocol, which would have easily prevented this! The press is showing their stripes again by not harping on this aspect. They're too busy promoting their own lib agenda; making it about the guns.

This.

Reactions: CUarchgrad
Waiting period needs to be increased to week or weeks (not days) with thorough background check. That would include examining social media profile of the prospective buyer (most companies do this now before making hires).

Most (not all) mass shooters have posted violent intent on social media before attacks.

Having armed police officers in schools is a good idea. Need to think about whether training certain highly screened staff members for concealed carry is a good idea. That would be something like the Sky Marshall program where non uniformed law enforcement is on planes just in case.

I hunt and own guns, but it is clear that what we do now does not work.

@amynhop the guys wearing powdered wigs who wrote the Bill of Rights/Constitution thought slavery was OK and that women should not vote. The state of the art weapon in the 1780s was a muzzleloading rifle with a rate of fire of 1 per minute. I don't understand arguments that the Second Amendment (or any other Amendment) can not be modified or reinterpreted based on changing times and technology

It'll never happen but I'm personally in favor of ending the manufacture and sale of all semi-automatic weapons. You don't need them to hunt, you don't need them to defend your person. Won't fix anything right away but over time the supply will dry up. I think that the practical benefits of gun ownership are not severely affected and it would have a meaningful impact (again over time) on gun violence in the country. Really, I'd like for handguns to only be carried by cops.

“You don’t need them to hunt” ?????

You’ve obviously never hunted.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT