ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Just saw Black Panther...

This graph is from the article you linked showing the racial breakdown of actors.
film-diversity-1024x538.jpg

If I remember correctly black people make up 12.6% of the population in the United States? Right on par with how you think it would be. Hispanics are the ones being underrepresented, white people like 8% over represented.
Now from that top 100 list, take out the movies that were specifically targeted towards black people/produced by black people.
1. Ride Along
2. Think Like a Man Too
3. No Good Deed
4. Selma
5. About Last Night
6. Ride Along
7. Annie

Take those movies out and how black actors are left in that top 100? There was only one other movie in 2014's top 100 that is led by a black actor, Denzel Washington's "The Equalizer". And even that movie was in part produced by Washington himself (Though I do not believe he is the majority/main producer of the film).

Top 100 Grossing films of 2014

The pattern I see is that just about any OT thread eventually turns into a political shouting match. I’m following/contributing to a Biathlon thread- I guarantee even that could go political and end up at three pages with just a spark.

I’m with Amy on this one, some OT threads are good discussions.....if you can filter through some of the Flamethrower posts some folks will make just for fun.

I agree that there is the potential for great discussion on all of the OT stuff that is brought up. Yes, a tiny fraction of posters here are the ones that take it from mature debate into flame-throwing territory.

In defense of the publisher and moderators, however, it's not as if they completely erased the thread. The threads are still in existence, albeit on the appropriate board now. It isn't their fault that most of the subscribers to this site have no interest in the content that is posted on the other boards, or that if a thread is moved there it doesn't get as much attention or views as it would here. Ard has stated time and time again that this board is a forum for Clemson sports discussions, with occasional OT threads. I think they have to draw a line to prevent this forum from slowly losing its character.

Threads that are off the bat inflammatory and politically controversial in nature probably don't belong here. I've jumped into several of them over the past week, and I know where to find them if I am interested in doing so. You have to admit that the content of the first post from that thread had a high probability of stirring the pot. It wasn't an open-ended invitation to a mature discussion on the issue. I think a lot of people here are tired of it honestly, no matter which side of the political spectrum it is coming from. Lastly, the fact of the matter is that the publishers and moderators can do as they wish. None of the speech here is protected. It is a non public forum. So whining about it is just crying over spilled milk (and that is not directed at you, @gogetem ).

I just saw it. Another great movie in the Marvel Universe. The thing about it is, this would have been great movie even if it wasn’t a Marvel movie.
Ryan Coogler the director is just a great filmmaker. After his very good debuts as a filmmaker Fruitvale Station and Creed, Coogler creates a whole new incredible world of fascinating characters.
What a great villain Michael B Jordan is as the revenged motivated cousin of Ta’Challa . He who feels like should be the rightful aire to the throne of Wakanda.
Can’t wait to see Jordan again show similar motivation pathos in Creed 2 wanting revenge against the man who killed his father in the ring Drago and his trained fighting son.

As i’m not a Marvel/DC comic book dude this movie has to be the 2010s match of 1970s “Dolemite” in terms of BS marketing ploys from Hollywood. And all the BS media attention to boot “ZMG I LOVE BLACK PANTHER ITS THE BEST EVER BECAUSE ALL BLACK ACTORS AND CULTURE”

I’m sure there is some megatalent here but who cares. Those in the #oscarsaretoowhite crowd need to chill.

Whatever man. If you like it, great. But the only super hero movies that were of real substance were Nolan’s Batman series with Bale. Nothing holds a candle compared to those movies. None.

I’m not into superhero shvt but damn the Nolan movies were off the charts good.

The only reason why “Black Panther” is getting any headlines is because of #zmgblackdudeleadingrolesuperherowemuslovethiscrap

this sounds all racist and shvt but it’s not. plug the guy into a great movie, great.

Like Denzel Washington in “Book of Eli”

how about Samuel L in Pulp Fiction

How about Samuel L Jackson in ANY MOTHERFRACKING ROLE THAT MOTHER FRACKER IS IN (Julius voice)

Those 2 are some of the best of the best and half of you don’t even know it because it’s not blasted on twitter or instacraponmyself or whatever.

Let me tell you. These 2 guys are priceless gems in the acting trade. But they don’t have to parade out the

#ZMGBlackSuperHero BS

I don’t tweet but i know half of you only focus on shvt with a # sign

So there. Lawn. Off.

As i’m not a Marvel/DC comic book dude this movie has to be the 2010s match of 1970s “Dolemite” in terms of BS marketing ploys from Hollywood. And all the BS media attention to boot “ZMG I LOVE BLACK PANTHER ITS THE BEST EVER BECAUSE ALL BLACK ACTORS AND CULTURE”

I’m sure there is some megatalent here but who cares. Those in the #oscarsaretoowhite crowd need to chill.

Whatever man. If you like it, great. But the only super hero movies that were of real substance were Nolan’s Batman series with Bale. Nothing holds a candle compared to those movies. None.

The only reason why “Black Panther” is getting any headlines is because of #zmgblackdudeleadingrolesuperherowemuslovethiscrap

this sounds all racist and shvt but it’s not. plug the guy into a great movie, great.

How about Samuel L Jackson in ANY MOTHERFRACKING ROLE THAT MOTHER FRACKER IS IN (Julius voice)

Those 2 are some of the best of the best and half of you don’t even know it because it’s not blasted on twitter or instacraponmyself or whatever.

Let me tell you. These 2 guys are priceless gems in the acting trade. But they don’t have to parade out the

#ZMGBlackSuperHero BS

So there. Lawn. Off.
Who is Denzel Washington and Samuel L. Jackson?

And bartender Ted Lange “Issac Washington” from Love Boat used to serve me booze under age back in the 70s so all those who are gonna be on the cctiger94 hate machine, you still ain’t gonna win with this dumbass black panther movie

Now from that top 100 list, take out the movies that were specifically targeted towards black people/produced by black people.
1. Ride Along
2. Think Like a Man Too
3. No Good Deed
4. Selma
5. About Last Night
6. Ride Along
7. Annie

Take those movies out and how black actors are left in that top 100? There was only one other movie in 2014's top 100 that is led by a black actor, Denzel Washington's "The Equalizer". And even that movie was in part produced by Washington himself (Though I do not believe he is the majority/main producer of the film).

Top 100 Grossing films of 2014
Uh why? Do I get to randomly take out movies of my choosing to even the numbers back out as well?

The fact that there are even movies "specifically targeted towards black people/produced by black people" only strengthens the argument that black people are not undermined in Hollywood.

I liked it, although I will say it was not as good as the reviews had made it out to be. Bozeman was great as the stoic Black Panther, as usual, and the women in the movie were all awesome. The sister, the gf/spy, and Michonne from TWD were all great, and were what worked best about the movie IMO.

I’m gonna have to disagree with @athigpe , I was not a fan of Michael B Jordan. His character had a sympathetic backstory, but I don’t like the way Jordan played it and I definitely don’t think he was as good a villain as Hiddleston’s Loki. Loki is still easily the best Marvel villain, even though he’s becoming overused. Jordan just falls flat to me, like he tends to do in some of his movies. He’s much better in more comedic roles IMO, although he was good in Creed.

The cinematography was beautiful and the special effects were great, albeit overdone at times. Coogler’s script was awesome, though, and it’s obvious he’s a great director. Coogler brought Wakanda to life in such a way that it’s obvious the African nation will play a vital role in the MCU going forward. I can’t wait for Infinity War and Ant Man and the Wasp.

I give Black Panther a 7 out of 10.

Interesting.

I had completely different reactions to Bozeman and Jordan. For me, Bozeman leaves a lot to be desired. I know he gets a bunch of hype, but his stoic acting comes awful close to a stale, monotone Keanu Reaves performance. No he's not that bad, but the dude is so robotic to me, to the point of being unrealistic.

Jordan, on the other hand, has a magnetic quality to him any time he's on the screen. That dude just grabs your attention and never lets go. Like I mentioned, he has that global super star It-Factor to him IMO.

I've also gotten bored with Loki lately because of his overuse as you mentioned. He was great at first, but he's been marginalized over the years.

Saw it in IMAX tonight. It was very good.

Lot of social commentary undertones no question but didn't really harm my enjoyment of a good story, well executed, acted mostly well. Agree Jordan is the bomb and Bozeman is good but not great. The women were awesome. Bilbo Baggins as CIA guy is terrible casting. Movie could have used more of the Andy Serkis character, he was terrific. Music and Cinematography was outstanding.

Worth the IMAX penny.

Uh why? Do I get to randomly take out movies of my choosing to even the numbers back out as well?

The fact that there are even movies "specifically targeted towards black people/produced by black people" only strengthens the argument that black people are not undermined in Hollywood.
If you don't find it at least peculiar that 80-90% of the movies with black people in leading roles had to be created by other black people then I'm not sure what to tell.

I don't think anyone ITT thread is saying we need to go march on Hollywood for equal rights. but those numbers do suggest that maybe blacks are underserved as a whole in Hollywood. and maybe it stands to reason the community would be excited about such a big company like Disney making a movie starring almost exclusively black people, but the movie isn't specifically targeted towards us or made by us.

Sorry but we notice stuff like that and there's a reason we do.

Reactions: iceheart08

#ZMGBlackSuperHero BS

So there. Lawn. Off.

This is hilarious.

“BS marketing ploys by Hollywood”

“BS media attention”

“2010s match of Dolemite”

What the hell are you talking about? Why are you so angry? You obviously don’t plan to see the movie and know nothing about it, but you also seem pretty sure that it’s only getting headlines because it’s mostly black. Is that about it?

Don’t all Marvel comics movies get headlines and a lot of hype?

When you have to say stuff like “this sounds all racist and shvt” you’re telling on yourself man.

Just keep it real... You have no interest in seeing a movie with a mostly black cast. It also appears that you feel like a movie with a majority black class somehow is a knock against white people since this movie was obviously made for the #OscarsSoWhite crowd.

Lol. This was really funny to read.

Last edited:
If you don't find it at least peculiar that 80-90% of the movies with black people in leading roles had to be created by other black people then I'm not sure what to tell.

I don't think anyone ITT thread is saying we need to go march on Hollywood for equal rights. but those numbers do suggest that maybe blacks are underserved as a whole in Hollywood. and maybe it stands to reason the community would be excited about such a big company like Disney making a movie starring almost exclusively black people, but the movie isn't specifically targeted towards us or made by us.

Sorry but we notice stuff like that and there's a reason we do.

Dude there are black guys like Denz. Sam. All time favorites. Kings of Cinema. Whitey Cruise types don’t hold a candle to them, as an example. good action, substance lacking. Julius and Eli. Those 2 guys are equal to Ford / Hopkins / Pacino / Walkin / DeNiro types. There is no need to make excuses. The weak political correctness crowd is #_dumbass.

I’m all for awesome black actors, white actors. Funny thing in Hollywood is if you don’t make the cut somehow, someway it doesn’t matter what your color is. It’s ruthless

If you don't understand the signifcance of this movie to African American people and this country in general as a barometer for how far we've come, then youre being willfully blind to the history of this country.
Wont go watch the movie because it looks stupid... dosent have to be about black or white... just dont get into those kinda movies

I don’t get why there are always 5 or 6 people that come into every movie review for a comic book movie and say they are stupid, will not watch, or their tired of them. That adds nothing to the thread and it is a waste of my time to read. There are 100s of movies that come out every year and only 6 or so are comic book movies. Why does this get you so upset. If you don’t like them then ignore them. But there are tons of people who do like them which is why they are constantly one of the biggest money makers in cinema right now. Yes they will eventually die off like the westerns did, but get a grip.... this is the golden age of comic movies and I personally hope they are around for a while longer as there are many stories I would love to still play out on the big screen.

Dude there are black guys like Denz. Sam. All time favorites. Kings of Cinema. Whitey Cruise types don’t hold a candle to them, as an example. good action, substance lacking. Julius and Eli. Those 2 guys are equal to Ford / Hopkins / Pacino / Walkin / DeNiro types. There is no need to make excuses. The weak political correctness crowd is #_dumbass.

I’m all for awesome black actors, white actors. Funny thing in Hollywood is if you don’t make the cut somehow, someway it doesn’t matter what your color is. It’s ruthless
We're not talking specifically about leading actors, we're talking about starring casts in general.

I've probably sat through hundreds of movies that were almost exclusively white and non black actor had >5 minutes of screen time. I don't know that I can say the reverse of that about any movie I've ever scene, unless it's "specifically targeted towards blacks"/produced by blacks. And those movies are usually "B-Level" movies and are not in the same universe as a movie like Black Panther.

Lets look at Oscar nominees for best picture as well as top 10 grossing movies for 2017 and see if any have a black person in them in the first five actors/actresses on IMDB(which is by first billed).

Call Me By Your Name
Darkest Hour
Dunkirk
Get Out
Lady Bird
Phantom Thread
The Post
The Shape of Water
Three billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri
Star Wars - Episode 8
The Fate of the Furious
Transformers Last Night
Spider-Man Homecoming
Justice League
Guardians of The Galaxy Volume 2
Wonder Woman
Pirates of The Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales

Now lets see how many of these had a black person in those top 5 which include the lead and the 4 main supporting roles. I will let you guess...

5/17 movies have 1. Only one of those 5 have two. That is 29.4%. 6 out of 85 of those actors were black. Good for 7.06%. That is a crazy definition of "almost always.

First off, I’m pumped about seeing Black Panther and love me some Michael B Jordan. Looks great and I have absolutely no prob with it being a majority black cast. I would agree with you that Hollywood has a diversity problem, mostly comprised of white, liberal (probably less conservatives than African Americans in that list you mentioned) men.

Just to play devils advocate a little bit, I don’t expect Black Panther to have many leading white people in it, just as I don’t expect Darkest Hour (a story about Winston Churchill in WWII), Dunkirk, or the Post (a story about the Washington Post’s editorial board in the 70s, which I don’t believe had any African Americans on it) to have many leading African Americans in them. They’re biopics that are trying to be historically accurate. Thus, if you excluded them from this list, that number goes up for this year at least. Overall, though, I get your point.

First off, I’m pumped about seeing Black Panther and love me some Michael B Jordan. Looks great and I have absolutely no prob with it being a majority black cast. I would agree with you that Hollywood has a diversity problem, mostly comprised of white, liberal (probably less conservatives than African Americans in that list you mentioned) men.

Just to play devils advocate a little bit, I don’t expect Black Panther to have many leading white people in it, just as I don’t expect Darkest Hour (a story about Winston Churchill in WWII), Dunkirk, or the Post (a story about the Washington Post’s editorial board in the 70s, which I don’t believe had any African Americans on it) to have many leading African Americans in them. They’re biopics that are trying to be historically accurate. Thus, if you excluded them from this list, that number goes up for this year at least. Overall, though, I get your point.
I agree. People expecting to see a ton of white people in a movie taking place in Africa is odd. Just for instance like you said with some of the historical movies. Though Dunkirk could have maybe had at least one. Black people were in the military. Though Dunkirk would be for the fact that there wasn’t really any parts. Screen time was limited for everyone.

Lets look at Oscar nominees for best picture as well as top 10 grossing movies for 2017 and see if any have a black person in them in the first five actors/actresses on IMDB(which is by first billed).

Call Me By Your Name
Darkest Hour
Dunkirk
Get Out
Lady Bird
Phantom Thread
The Post
The Shape of Water
Three billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri
Star Wars - Episode 8
The Fate of the Furious
Transformers Last Night
Spider-Man Homecoming
Justice League
Guardians of The Galaxy Volume 2
Wonder Woman
Pirates of The Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales

Now lets see how many of these had a black person in those top 5 which include the lead and the 4 main supporting roles. I will let you guess...

5/17 movies have 1. Only one of those 5 have two. That is 29.4%. 6 out of 85 of those actors were black. Good for 7.06%. That is a crazy definition of "almost always.

So are you inferring that Hollywood is biased racially? This can't be, they speak for the entire country and are the absolute pillars of morality...The irony is not lost on me.

This OT thread has turned into a semi argument about race and is still on the main board. A thread I posted about guns was moved to the damn RT to die in less than a minute yesterday. I have said it before and I will say it again. No rhyme or reason as to what stays or goes. Some consistency would be nice.
The purpose of this thread was about the entertainment value of a superhero movie, and it has derailed severely. A thread about guns less than one week from a horrific tragedy is different. I don't know your actual subject matter/details in that thread so there's that, and I don't disagree with you in regards to the consistency of what stays and what doesn't.

Reactions: amynhop
I appreciate the people in this thread who gave their opinions on the actual movie. I may go watch it now as I'm a big fan of Michael B. Jordan's work in Friday Night Lights and The Wire. It sounds like there was some character development which I always prefer. The Avengers was action packed but very little character development/dialogue.

The purpose of this thread was about the entertainment value of a superhero movie, and it has derailed severely. A thread about guns less than one week from a horrific tragedy is different. I don't know your actual subject matter/details in that thread so there's that, and I don't disagree with you in regards to the consistency of what stays and what doesn't.

Just out of curiosity, what was the subject matter of her post? Was it anti-gun or something?

I can not wait to see this movie. Black Panther is my son's favorite comic book. He has about 10 of the comics now and has been so excited to see it since we saw the first preview. We are going to go see it this weekend.

I saw it today and thought it was really good. My only real criticism was that it was too long. The editor didn't do them any favors. Some selective editing could have shortened by 20 minutes or so without losing anything from the story.

I'm not a huge Michael B Jordan fan (his best role was Wallace) but I really liked the sister character. I also liked the mountain king.

I would recommend it.

My biggest issue was killing off Erik Killmonger. As you mentioned the movie seem to be rush at the end. By killing off the two villains you take away a great sequel and the ability to tell the story over 2 movies.

For me this is tied for #1 with Winter Solider.

Killmonger isn’t dead. He still has the Black Panther juice flowing through him and I’d bet BP put one of those medicine balls in his wound when he put his hand over Killmonger’s chest at the end.

What a damn racist liar Chadwick Boseman is. Said he would drive home to Anderson during Black Panther filming and see Klan rallies at Walmart. Later retracted and said he was misquoted. Despicable!!!

What a damn racist liar Chadwick Boseman is. Said he would drive home to Anderson during Black Panther filming and see Klan rallies at Walmart. Later retracted and said he was misquoted. Despicable!!!
He said he saw them in 2015, not 2017. Not exactly a retraction, and it does appear that it was a misquote by the reporter (I thought you hate the MSM?).

http://www.wyff4.com/article/black-...e-experienced-growing-up-in-anderson/19056299

Article also mentions that he was raised in a Christian home, baptized in a church, and belonged to a youth group and church choir. He even prayed to the Lord before landing the role of the Black Panther.

It’s sad to see people like you tearing down a good God-fearing man because you don’t believe the Klan still exists for some reason. What a shame.

He said he saw them in 2015, not 2017. Not exactly a retraction, and it does appear that it was a misquote by the reporter (I thought you hate the MSM?).

http://www.wyff4.com/article/black-...e-experienced-growing-up-in-anderson/19056299

Article also mentions that he was raised in a Christian home, baptized in a church, and belonged to a youth group and church choir. He even prayed to the Lord before landing the role of the Black Panther.

It’s sad to see people like you tearing down a good God-fearing man because you don’t believe the Klan still exists for some reason. What a shame.

I know exactly what he said. The Klan does not and did not conduct rallies in the parking lot at Anderson Walmart in 2015 nor 2017 nor any other year for that matter. Christian or not, he flat out lied. And tried to make the town of Anderson look like a bunch of white racists. No surprise a liberal like you would defend his lies. And an outright lie is what he told. The Klan does not exist in the damn parking lot at Walmart in Anderson!!!!!!

I know exactly what he said. The Klan does not and did not conduct rallies in the parking lot at Anderson Walmart in 2015 nor 2017 nor any other year for that matter. Christian or not, he flat out lied. And tried to make the town of Anderson look like a bunch of white racists. No surprise a liberal like you would defend his lies. And an outright lie is what he told. The Klan does not exist in the damn parking lot at Walmart in Anderson!!!!!!
Despite the fact that you seem very knowledgeable about Walmarts, I can see that you’re making an emotional argument and not a factual one. It’s fine, I get it.

Despite the fact that you seem very knowledgeable about Walmarts, I can see that you’re making an emotional argument and not a factual one. It’s fine, I get it.

My argument is pure fact. Are you idiotic enough to believe the damn Klan was in the parking lot conducting a rally at Walmart in Anderson in 2015???? And like all liberals.... you're tolerant until someone disagrees with you.
Boseman lied. You trying to defend him is typical and laughable.

Last edited:
My argument is pure fact. And like all liberals.... you're tolerant until someone disagrees with you.
Boseman lied. You trying to defend him is typical and laughable.
Not a liberal, more a republican in exile.

And I believe I’m being very tolerant of your ignorance, unless you’re telling me that you live in the Anderson Walmart parking lot. I’m ignorant as well. I don’t know if there was a rally there, you don’t know that there wasn’t.

Not a liberal, more a republican in exile.

And I believe I’m being very tolerant of your ignorance, unless you’re telling me that you live in the Anderson Walmart parking lot. I’m ignorant as well. I don’t know if there was a rally there, you don’t know that there wasn’t.

I do know. Stay in exile.

Serious question... Do you make similiar obversations in the many movies that are virtually all white?

I can't remember if anyone made such comments about Braveheart, being "all white".

I kept waiting for someone to gripe but it would be hard to place a lot of blacks in 1200s Scotland.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT