ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Just saw Black Panther...

If you don't understand the signifcance of this movie to African American people and this country in general as a barometer for how far we've come, then youre being willfully blind to the history of this country.

Sorry if i dont think a fictitious comic book hero is not up on their on the significance meter.

Carry on though.

Sorry if i dont think a fictitious comic book hero is not up on their on the significance meter.

Carry on though.
Why do you think your opinion to what has significance for that community matters?

Why do you think your opinion to what has significance for that community matters?

It doesnt, you can clearly choose to put stock into anything you want including comic book heroes. Which is your choice.

Super heroes are cool with me. I know Wolverine really lifted me up as a kid and made me the man I am.....wait, no he didnt...he is a comic book character

Creed was hot garbage
giphy.gif

I just saw it. Another great movie in the Marvel Universe. The thing about it is, this would have been great movie even if it wasn’t a Marvel movie.
Ryan Coogler the director is just a great filmmaker. After his very good debuts as a filmmaker Fruitvale Station and Creed, Coogler creates a whole new incredible world of fascinating characters.
What a great villain Michael B Jordan is as the revenged motivated cousin of Ta’Challa . He who feels like should be the rightful aire to the throne of Wakanda.
Can’t wait to see Jordan again show similar motivation pathos in Creed 2 wanting revenge against the man who killed his father in the ring Drago and his trained fighting son.
Agree on all fronts. Wasn’t my favorite marvel film, but damn it had arguably the best character development of a villain. Not to mention it carried some fantastic political undertones that resonate very well right now.

Coogler has proven himself as a great storyteller, and while I didn’t care for all the CGI at times, he knows how to tell a good story.

I just saw it. Another great movie in the Marvel Universe. The thing about it is, this would have been great movie even if it wasn’t a Marvel movie.
Ryan Coogler the director is just a great filmmaker. After his very good debuts as a filmmaker Fruitvale Station and Creed, Coogler creates a whole new incredible world of fascinating characters.
What a great villain Michael B Jordan is as the revenged motivated cousin of Ta’Challa . He who feels like should be the rightful aire to the throne of Wakanda.
Can’t wait to see Jordan again show similar motivation pathos in Creed 2 wanting revenge against the man who killed his father in the ring Drago and his trained fighting son.

The really weird thing-and I havent seen it yet- is that there are two people from Anderson in the film. Grew up with one in Cub Scouts and coached the other in Y 12 and under basketball. Weird.

Saw 48 responses...thought there would be a discussion about the actual movie.

Should’ve known better

Edit: Came back once thread got to 150 posts...it’s not any better. Appreciate OP for trying and the handful of actual movie posts.

Last edited:

We saw it and totally agree! Great movie! Michael B Jordan did nail his role!

Reactions: kingcat7
Are you being sarcastic as well?

He might not be the first, but if you don't recognize the good in a young black kid being able to see someone who looks like him be a superhero, in mainstream American culture, I've gotta question your perspective.
So you are saying all black people look alike?

My thoughts on the movie would be as follows:

-Some of the cinematography and visuals were incredible! At the same time, some of the CGi was way unnecessary.

-Michael B Jordan was absolutely incredible, easily the best villain in a Marvels movie, and that dude is an absolute superstar. At the same time, he almost is too dominant to the point where he blows the main Black Panther off the screen (IMO).

-Thought the sister and the girlfriend were absolutely great, really good supporting characters. At the same time, I thought the Claw villain was a laughable caricature of a villain. I don't watch all the Marvels movies so Idk if he's some precious villain or if I'm supposed to know why he's batshit, but the dude was cringeworthy to me.

-The story had good depth and a better arc than probably any Marvels movie. At the same time, the first act dragged, and that meant the transition from the second to the third felt way too rushed. For me they really could've started basically with the Korean scene and gotten right into it. I also thought they needed to show more backstory of the underlying Wakandan tensions before I'm willing to believe these dudes are willing to draw swords on their best friends and lovers a day after this new mercenary shows up.

All in all I thought it was one of the better comic book movies, but I don't know how rewatchable it will be. I thought the acting is what really held it together personally. Michael B Jordan, the girlfriend, and the sister are absolutely dynamite. They make the movie IMO and keep it from venturing into some fairly corny and loopy areas.

Lets look at Oscar nominees for best picture as well as top 10 grossing movies for 2017 and see if any have a black person in them in the first five actors/actresses on IMDB(which is by first billed).

Call Me By Your Name
Darkest Hour
Dunkirk
Get Out
Lady Bird
Phantom Thread
The Post
The Shape of Water
Three billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri
Star Wars - Episode 8
The Fate of the Furious
Transformers Last Night
Spider-Man Homecoming
Justice League
Guardians of The Galaxy Volume 2
Wonder Woman
Pirates of The Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales

Now lets see how many of these had a black person in those top 5 which include the lead and the 4 main supporting roles. I will let you guess...

5/17 movies have 1. Only one of those 5 have two. That is 29.4%. 6 out of 85 of those actors were black. Good for 7.06%. That is a crazy definition of "almost always.
That’s cause Hollywood is phony and racist. They like to get on their high horse preach liberal values, like abortion is awesome and every bodies a racist but us. Yet very few women or other races win awards at their shows.

Of the 100 top films in 2014, only 17 featured non-white lead or co-lead actors.

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/nation/30000-hollywood-film-characters-heres-many-werent-white

Don’t really care one way or the other, but African Americans make up 12.6% of the US population so a 17% lead or co-lead would seem about right to me. If they’re good actors, let them act - white, green, purple, black. Why are we arguing about this again?

Anyway, thought it was a pretty good movie.

Don’t really care one way or the other, but African Americans make up 12.6% of the US population so a 17% lead or co-lead would seem about right to me. If they’re good actors, let them act - white, green, purple, black. Why are we arguing about this again?

You're right, the opportunity for success for African Americans in Hollywood is equal to that of caucasians. There's no race issue in Hollywood.
Lol

Not being a smart ass, but considering America is only 12% African American isn't this above average?

Dude there's a whole term in Hollywood called whitewashing, where roles otherwise written for minorities are played by white actors.
Minorities in Hollywood have long documented that they aren't given the same opportunities or considered for roles that white actors are considered. Hell, even white actors have admitted to this.

Reactions: Da Swami
I enjoyed it very much! The computer animation during the fight scenes were a little cartoon like. And at times, I wasnt sure who the audience was supposed to pull for. But overall it was relatively clean and a very entertaining movie.

Reactions: Da Swami
It doesnt, you can clearly choose to put stock into anything you want including comic book heroes. Which is your choice.

Super heroes are cool with me. I know Wolverine really lifted me up as a kid and made me the man I am.....wait, no he didnt...he is a comic book character
The depth in your opinion is quite shockingly low, even for as shitty a poster as yourself.

Dude there's a whole term in Hollywood called whitewashing, where roles otherwise written for minorities are played by white actors.
Minorities in Hollywood have long documented that they aren't given the same opportunities or considered for roles that white actors are considered. Hell, even white actors have admitted to this.
You mean the same Hollywood that preaches about equal rights and opportunity? How ironic. I believe it's a numbers issue not race.

After reading this thread thoroughly, the thing I am most surprised and distressed by is that there are people who think Creed was hot garbage.

I also didn’t really care for it. Huge Michael B Jordan fan though. Basically anyone that was in Friday Night Lights will always have a special place in my heart. Especially Tami Taylor and Lila Garity.

Reactions: JAMCRACKER99
Of the 100 top films in 2014, only 17 featured non-white lead or co-lead actors.

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/nation/30000-hollywood-film-characters-heres-many-werent-white
This graph is from the article you linked showing the racial breakdown of actors.
film-diversity-1024x538.jpg

If I remember correctly black people make up 12.6% of the population in the United States? Right on par with how you think it would be. Hispanics are the ones being underrepresented, white people like 8% over represented.

Reactions: J.Greenbeans

My fault should have read the entire thread.

@MF123 your link does not show black people being undermined in Hollywood. It actually confirms black people are being the most fairly treated ethnic group to a T.

Hispanics on the other hand...

Reactions: scartiger
Hey, @acwill07? What did you think of it? The directing and best performances?

I liked it, although I will say it was not as good as the reviews had made it out to be. Bozeman was great as the stoic Black Panther, as usual, and the women in the movie were all awesome. The sister, the gf/spy, and Michonne from TWD were all great, and were what worked best about the movie IMO.

I’m gonna have to disagree with @athigpe , I was not a fan of Michael B Jordan. His character had a sympathetic backstory, but I don’t like the way Jordan played it and I definitely don’t think he was as good a villain as Hiddleston’s Loki. Loki is still easily the best Marvel villain, even though he’s becoming overused. Jordan just falls flat to me, like he tends to do in some of his movies. He’s much better in more comedic roles IMO, although he was good in Creed.

The cinematography was beautiful and the special effects were great, albeit overdone at times. Coogler’s script was awesome, though, and it’s obvious he’s a great director. Coogler brought Wakanda to life in such a way that it’s obvious the African nation will play a vital role in the MCU going forward. I can’t wait for Infinity War and Ant Man and the Wasp.

I give Black Panther a 7 out of 10.

I liked it, although I will say it was not as good as the reviews had made it out to be. Bozeman was great as the stoic Black Panther, as usual, and the women in the movie were all awesome. The sister, the gf/spy, and Michonne from TWD were all great, and were what worked best about the movie IMO.

I’m gonna have to disagree with @athigpe , I was not a fan of Michael B Jordan. His character had a sympathetic backstory, but I don’t like the way Jordan played it and I definitely don’t think he was as good a villain as Hiddleston’s Loki. Loki is still easily the best Marvel villain, even though he’s becoming overused. Jordan just falls flat to me, like he tends to do in some of his movies. He’s much better in more comedic roles IMO, although he was good in Creed.

The cinematography was beautiful and the special effects were great, albeit overdone at times. Coogler’s script was awesome, though, and it’s obvious he’s a great director. Coogler brought Wakanda to life in such a way that it’s obvious the African nation will play a vital role in the MCU going forward. I can’t wait for Infinity War and Ant Man and the Wasp.

I give Black Panther a 7 out of 10.
Going today at 5. Pumped. How is the soundtrack?

This graph is from the article you linked showing the racial breakdown of actors.
film-diversity-1024x538.jpg

If I remember correctly black people make up 12.6% of the population in the United States? Right on par with how you think it would be. Hispanics are the ones being underrepresented, white people like 8% over represented.

I wonder what the NBA is? I'm sure it's close to equal right?

This OT thread has turned into a semi argument about race and is still on the main board. A thread I posted about guns was moved to the damn RT to die in less than a minute yesterday. I have said it before and I will say it again. No rhyme or reason as to what stays or goes. Some consistency would be nice.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT