ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Just saw Black Panther...

giphy.gif

Gotta get this gif. Pure Gold :)

This OT thread has turned into a semi argument about race and is still on the main board. A thread I posted about guns was moved to the damn RT to die in less than a minute yesterday. I have said it before and I will say it again. No rhyme or reason as to what stays or goes. Some consistency would be nice.
So because your OT thread was moved you want all OT threads removed?

"If I can't have nice things, then no one else can either!!"

So because your OT thread was moved you want all OT threads removed?

"If I can't have nice things, then no one else can either!!"

No, Steven. Unless the board is totally clogged up with them, I don't think any should be moved. They die immediately when they are. I simply stated some consistency would be nice. That's all.

Reactions: tallulahtiger30319
My thoughts on the movie would be as follows:

-Some of the cinematography and visuals were incredible! At the same time, some of the CGi was way unnecessary.

-Michael B Jordan was absolutely incredible, easily the best villain in a Marvels movie, and that dude is an absolute superstar. At the same time, he almost is too dominant to the point where he blows the main Black Panther off the screen (IMO).

-Thought the sister and the girlfriend were absolutely great, really good supporting characters. At the same time, I thought the Claw villain was a laughable caricature of a villain. I don't watch all the Marvels movies so Idk if he's some precious villain or if I'm supposed to know why he's batshit, but the dude was cringeworthy to me.

-The story had good depth and a better arc than probably any Marvels movie. At the same time, the first act dragged, and that meant the transition from the second to the third felt way too rushed. For me they really could've started basically with the Korean scene and gotten right into it. I also thought they needed to show more backstory of the underlying Wakandan tensions before I'm willing to believe these dudes are willing to draw swords on their best friends and lovers a day after this new mercenary shows up.

All in all I thought it was one of the better comic book movies, but I don't know how rewatchable it will be. I thought the acting is what really held it together personally. Michael B Jordan, the girlfriend, and the sister are absolutely dynamite. They make the movie IMO and keep it from venturing into some fairly corny and loopy areas.
My biggest issue was killing off Erik Killmonger. As you mentioned the movie seem to be rush at the end. By killing off the two villains you take away a great sequel and the ability to tell the story over 2 movies.

For me this is tied for #1 with Winter Solider.

Also, "data reveals a staggering lack of diversity among Hollywood’s top ranks: About 96 percent of the more than 450 members in the executives branch are white"
And think of black actors who have been nominated for Oscars - not even those who have won it. @1999ClemGrad

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...s-ignore-black-movies/?utm_term=.353549705582

I hate to enter into this discussion but 13% of population is black, 18% Hispanic and 61% white. That is 93% of the population.

Further, times are changing and other ethnicities continue to improve there positions in society by their talents and skill sets. So you need to take a look at the growth. Are things changing toward those percentages? If people have expectations that "representation" should be greater than those population averages, then they are not being realistic.

Women have a much greater argument than ethnicity based on the data but you can easily see how in many areas of society, the aging people in these positions retire and are filled with a more mixed group of people - everywhere. These things just do not happen overnight.

With that said ... I watched the movie, thought it was good and I like the action. I did think that the acting was good (except for the white guy haha) and that Jordan's character did overshadow the main character a bit. I liked some of the other Marvels better but this one was pretty good.

I liked it, although I will say it was not as good as the reviews had made it out to be. Bozeman was great as the stoic Black Panther, as usual, and the women in the movie were all awesome. The sister, the gf/spy, and Michonne from TWD were all great, and were what worked best about the movie IMO.

I’m gonna have to disagree with @athigpe , I was not a fan of Michael B Jordan. His character had a sympathetic backstory, but I don’t like the way Jordan played it and I definitely don’t think he was as good a villain as Hiddleston’s Loki. Loki is still easily the best Marvel villain, even though he’s becoming overused. Jordan just falls flat to me, like he tends to do in some of his movies. He’s much better in more comedic roles IMO, although he was good in Creed.

The cinematography was beautiful and the special effects were great, albeit overdone at times. Coogler’s script was awesome, though, and it’s obvious he’s a great director. Coogler brought Wakanda to life in such a way that it’s obvious the African nation will play a vital role in the MCU going forward. I can’t wait for Infinity War and Ant Man and the Wasp.

I give Black Panther a 7 out of 10.
Take out Jordan you give it a 10 out of 10? lol

This OT thread has turned into a semi argument about race and is still on the main board. A thread I posted about guns was moved to the damn RT to die in less than a minute yesterday. I have said it before and I will say it again. No rhyme or reason as to what stays or goes. Some consistency would be nice.

Sit the next few plays out amy. Most of us here are discussing the movie itself, not race.

Reactions: TheValley91
My biggest issue was killing off Erik Killmonger. As you mentioned the movie seem to be rush at the end. By killing off the two villains you take away a great sequel and the ability to tell the story over 2 movies.

Wow. I don't think this movie touches Winter Soldier, but that's JMO. Winter Soldier is the best MCU movie by a mile, but I'd put Black Panther easily in the top 5 or 6, depending on who you talk to. I wouldn't have a problem putting it in the 3-5 range.....and keep in mind this is coming from a guy who loves the MCU, so being in the top 3-5 is VERY good.

Reactions: SpillerTime
Take out Jordan you give it a 10 out of 10? lol

I wasn't trying to say that Jordan ruined the movie for me or anything, cause that's not true. He was fine, just a little flat and not at all extraordinary. Again, that's JMO. Even with a slightly better villain this movie wouldn't have been a 10 out of 10. Not for me at least.

Reactions: wmnesbitt
No, Steven. Unless the board is totally clogged up with them, I don't think any should be moved. They die immediately when they are. I simply stated some consistency would be nice. That's all.
Have a better thread and it'll stay alive.

dammit man! Spoiler alert!!

Reactions: iceheart08
Yeah because a thread about fictitious superheroes is much more important and has much more validity than discussing the slaughtering of innocent children at school. Oh ok.
It probably has more to do with the fact that this thread was initially a well intentioned discussion about a movie. The other thread, regardless of its intentions, was certain to inflame people not sharing your views on a topic that everyone is emotional about right now. Start less political OT threads, and you will probably see them moved less. Make an overtly controversial political thread, and you should probably expect to see it moved. That is the pattern I am seeing.

Wow. I don't think this movie touches Winter Soldier, but that's JMO. Winter Soldier is the best MCU movie by a mile, but I'd put Black Panther easily in the top 5 or 6, depending on who you talk to. I wouldn't have a problem putting it in the 3-5 range.....and keep in mind this is coming from a guy who loves the MCU, so being in the top 3-5 is VERY good.
Agree with Winter Soldier. That was a fantastic movie and is up there with Iron Man 1 and GOTG. Also agree that Black Panther could be somewhere between 4-6 on my list.

Difference of opinion even Siskel and Ebert disagreed.

Shocked at the heresy in this thread. Avengers is the best marvel movie with probably winter soldier a close second. Though from a personal standpoint I think that I liked black panther second overall. Very real emotion and not quite as comedic as the others. Acting was maybe the best out of all them which is why I like it so much. GOTG is up there but to me great comedy doesn’t match great drama or action.

Reactions: Redhill81
Sit the next few plays out amy. Most of us here are discussing the movie itself, not race.

Those of you discussing race have done a good job of opining without the asshole (for the most part). This is how it's done and it's needed.

Shocked at the heresy in this thread. Avengers is the best marvel movie with probably winter soldier a close second. Though from a personal standpoint I think that I liked black panther second overall. Very real emotion and not quite as comedic as the others. Acting was maybe the best out of all them which is why I like it so much. GOTG is up there but to me great comedy doesn’t match great drama or action.

I've got Winter Soldier, Civil War, Iron Man, Guardians, and Black Panther ahead of the first Avengers for sure.

Lol from @kingcat7 beginning post should tell you the movie was going to be discussed.
LOL, typically when a detail is discussed it is prefaced with a little bit of warning. Specifically deaths of characters. Not shocked when a villain dies, but when you yourself mentioned you were a little thrown by the deaths of two characters, it seems like a good time to use the spoiler. The OP just talked about general thoughts on the movie which is very different.

Reactions: Da Swami
I've got Winter Soldier, Civil War, Iron Man, Guardians, and Black Panther ahead of the first Avengers for sure.
I suppose there can be room for difference of opinion. But the pacing was great, epic in scope, acting was great and introduced the universe feel while at that point Loki was a very dynamic and great villain, and felt like it threatened unlike many marvel movies (like ultron, IM2/3, Thors 1/2, 1st Cap)

And winter soldier as a stand alone was outstanding. But as a superhero movie I like avengers more than all the others

You mean the same Hollywood that preaches about equal rights and opportunity? How ironic. I believe it's a numbers issue not race.
Underrated post

Remember it was not long ago when black actors were actually given a chance at the major oscars

Hollywood makes movies to make money and they cast who they think will make the most money. I would wager that hollywood is not racist and only cares for the color green.

Reactions: 1999ClemGrad
Dont worry. The whole movie was pretty predictable. You would have known what was going to happen anyways.
I'm not going now. Given you blowing the ending for me and the let down from the lack of whitey and due to this thread overall, I refuse to go.

LOL, typically when a detail is discussed it is prefaced with a little bit of warning. Specifically deaths of characters. Not shocked when a villain dies, but when you yourself mentioned you were a little thrown by the deaths of two characters, it seems like a good time to use the spoiler. The OP just talked about general thoughts on the movie which is very different.
My bad. Fwiw, I won't read anything that is lengthy (more than a sentence or two) knowing it could include a spoiler if I haven't seen it yet.
I'll make sure I do that in the future.

Reactions: clemsonu96
It probably has more to do with the fact that this thread was initially a well intentioned discussion about a movie. The other thread, regardless of its intentions, was certain to inflame people not sharing your views on a topic that everyone is emotional about right now. Start less political OT threads, and you will probably see them moved less. Make an overtly controversial political thread, and you should probably expect to see it moved. That is the pattern I am seeing.

The pattern I see is that just about any OT thread eventually turns into a political shouting match. I’m following/contributing to a Biathlon thread- I guarantee even that could go political and end up at three pages with just a spark.

I’m with Amy on this one, some OT threads are good discussions.....if you can filter through some of the Flamethrower posts some folks will make just for fun.

Reactions: amynhop
My bad. Fwiw, I won't read anything that is lengthy (more than a sentence or two) knowing it could include a spoiler if I haven't seen it yet.
I'll make sure I do that in the future.
I was mostly kidding. I was just glad to get to a post that was not about race that I went on reading.

giphy.gif

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT