ADVERTISEMENT

question about ukrain

purple2

Lake Baikal
Gold Member
Dec 16, 2002
what is the reasoning that republicans oppose aid to ukraine?
i don't need a doctoral dissertation--i'm just wondering the thought process.
ronald reagan called the soviet union the evil empire.

I’m not necessarily opposed to aid to Ukraine … Having grown up in the 80’s near military bases and every now and then having to practice the schools nuclear attack drill (hid under your desk kids 🙄 … I get a sick kick of seeing the Russian Military get mowed down by stockpiles of oir 30-40 year old military tech.

But … what is the end game? What is the plan? I’m all for sending them arms, it’s cheaper for us to send them out outdated stock piles than it is for us to dispose of it, but sending them money? Funding? Conspiracy theories aside, that doesn’t make sense to me …. Send them arms, and aide, but propping up their economy? We have enough problems, HUGE PROBLEMS, here ….

Also, they aren’t an ally … and I don’t believe for a second that Putin will attempt to invade a NATO country … that’s unless we are kicking off nuclear war. And if we really are worried about Russia invading Poland, base 100k Marines there and dare the dog to bark. Marines are great at killing things …

1) we are $32 trillion in debt
2) we have cities here in America with shit filled sidewalks. Others have streets that are too dangerous to walk down.
3) Ukraine is very corrupt.

I’m not necessarily opposed to aid to Ukraine … Having grown up in the 80’s near military bases and every now and then having to practice the schools nuclear attack drill (hid under your desk kids 🙄 … I get a sick kick of seeing the Russian Military get mowed down by stockpiles of oir 30-40 year old military tech.

But … what is the end game? What is the plan? I’m all for sending them arms, it’s cheaper for us to send them out outdated stock piles than it is for us to dispose of it, but sending them money? Funding? Conspiracy theories aside, that doesn’t make sense to me …. Send them arms, and aide, but propping up their economy? We have enough problems, HUGE PROBLEMS, here ….

Also, they aren’t an ally … and I don’t believe for a second that Putin will attempt to invade a NATO country … that’s unless we are kicking off nuclear war. And if we really are worried about Russia invading Poland, base 100k Marines there and dare the dog to bark. Marines are great at killing things …
thank you for the reply.
makes sense to give away older military tech (maybe other consumer products also if needed).
i have no concerns that russia would invade a nato country--but don't like them expanding.
i have no issues with cutting other budget waste before giving dollars to ukraine.

Last edited:
1) we are $32 trillion in debt
2) we have cities here in America with shit filled sidewalks. Others have streets that are too dangerous to walk down.
3) Ukraine is very corrupt.
thank you for the reply.
1--we need someone to cut the spending. when has that ever happened? all in congress continue wasting dollars every day.
2--i heard someone on the news saying that "swamp rabbit trail got a $17million grant and none of that was from south carolina taxpayers"! really!!!!!! i guess that money just grows on trees. i would love for some politician in washington to propose cutting 10% of federal discretionary spending(balancing the budget over 5-7 years).
3--maybe we need to put more controls on how it is spent, but i think corruption sucks less than russia's expansion

Last edited:
thank you for the reply.
1--we need someone to cut the spending. when has that ever happened? all in congress continue wasting dollars every day.
2--i heard someone on the news saying that "swamp rabbit trail got a $17million grant and none of that was from south carolina taxpayers"! really!!!!!! i guess that money just grows on trees. i would love for some politician in washington to propose cutting 10% of federal discretionary spending(balancing the budget over 5-7 years).
3--maybe we need to put more controls on how it is spent, but i think corruption sucks less than russia's expansion

Also, im not so sure about calling it Russian expansion. Maybe you can educate me because i don't really support the action so i admittedly don't follow it too closely. But the territories Russia is trying to claim used to belong to Russia. Those "counties" or jurisdictions are mostly Russian speaking people. To me, that just seems like a situation that they should work out amongst themselves and not something that screams "Russia is heading west and is going to conquer several nations."

Additionally, Putin told America several times that NATO expansion into his back yard was a red line. To me, it makes sense, because I wouldn't want Russian weapons in say Canada or Mexico. Its a legitimate gripe, not a mad-man.

A lot of us would support foreign countries more if our own country weren't such a shit show. We have whole cities that have lost their luster. San Fran has crap on the streets everywhere. Businesses have left at a shocking rate due to theft. Drug use us rampant on the street and causing a homeless epidemic. If you visit San Fran, you can't miss it. NYC has a massive illegal immigrant problem. Chicago has a murder problem. There are certain areas of the city (suburbs) that you just can't even step foot into because they are that dangerous. It's a shame.

"If we just had more money we could fix it" - OK well then why are we sending money to Ukraine? In the end, they will negotiate a peace deal which will give Russia some concessions. We could have been there without all the money spent and the lives lost.

Donald Trump is right. We need to put America First.

It's not cheaper. That's ludicrous.

It's not cheaper. That's ludicrous.
It is absolutely cheaper for us to give them our outdated stockpiles than going through the proper methods to dispose of these munitions.

It’s not like that shit can be taken to the county dump or thrown on a burn pile.

Cost to dismantle? Dispose? Cost to maintain? Store? Secure? or give it to the Ukrainians? Measure Russian effectiveness? That intel is invaluable …. The Russians are a ****in joke.

Even the “good” stuff we’ve given them, like the M1s are old gens that were rusting on a military lot.

Also, I suspect … that we’ve snuck some next gen weapons in there to use in a live situation to see how it performed.

Reactions: purple2
It is absolutely cheaper for us to give them our outdated stockpiles than going through the proper methods to dispose of these munitions.

It’s not like that shit can be taken to the county dump or thrown on a burn pile.

Cost to dismantle? Dispose? Cost to maintain? Store? Secure? or give it to the Ukrainians? Measure Russian effectiveness? That intel is invaluable …. The Russians are a ****in joke.

Even the “good” stuff we’ve given them, like the M1s are old gens that were rusting on a military lot.

Also, I suspect … that we’ve snuck some next gen weapons in there to use in a live situation to see how it performed.
I disagree with your opinion. It sounds wrong and lame to me but whatever.

• Haha
Reactions: dpic73
I disagree with your opinion. It sounds wrong and lame to me but whatever.
There is a significant expense in disposing of outdated munitions.

There is also a significant expense in storing, maintaining, and secure these munitions.

The majority of the weapons we have given to Ukraine are weapons that our military hasn’t used since the first Gulf War.

Giving these weapons to the Ukraine actually saved us money.

That isn’t an opinion ….

Now … giving the Ukraine money to fund their economy …. I.e system of corruption??? That’s a no from me.

There is a significant expense in disposing of outdated munitions.

There is also a significant expense in storing, maintaining, and secure these munitions.

The majority of the weapons we have given to Ukraine are weapons that our military hasn’t used since the first Gulf War.

Giving these weapons to the Ukraine actually saved us money.

That isn’t an opinion ….

Now … giving the Ukraine money to fund their economy …. I.e system of corruption??? That’s a no from me.
Show me some proof or I'm calling bs. Don't believe it.

Show me some proof or I'm calling bs. Don't believe it.
Your neighbor needs a kitchen table. You have a storage unit where you are storing a kitchen table because you have a new one that better suits your needs. You live in a county where there isnt a public dump funded by tax dollars, but rather you have to pay based on weight.

What is cheaper? Continuing to pay for the storage of the kitchen table and the disposal of it? OR just giving it to your neighbor ?

Sure you may have to help carry the table to your neighbors house and show him how to insert the leaf, but you’re still saving money.

And let us not also forget that seeing Russian dogs get mowed down by 30-40 year old tech and their laughable counter responses, is invaluable.

Is it a wonder that military aide has come to slow trickle since our EoL stock piles have been depleted?

Reactions: dpic73 and purple2
Your neighbor needs a kitchen table. You have a storage unit where you are storing a kitchen table because you have a new one that better suits your needs. You live in a county where there isnt a public dump funded by tax dollars, but rather you have to pay based on weight.

What is cheaper? Continuing to pay for the storage of the kitchen table and the disposal of it? OR just giving it to your neighbor ?

Sure you may have to help carry the table to your neighbors house and show him how to insert the leaf, but you’re still saving money.

And let us not also forget that seeing Russian dogs get mowed down by 30-40 year old tech and their laughable counter responses, is invaluable.

Is it a wonder that military aide has come to slow trickle since our EoL stock piles have been depleted?

How long can we continue to fund them? This is a losing war for Ukraine. I just don't see how they win it unless the US gets heavily involved. They need to negotiate a peace deal as fast as they can.

Reactions: TigerGrowls
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT