ADVERTISEMENT

Roundtable here we come wtf is this

I find it interesting in today’s society that our solution to creating a more inclusive community is to establish segregated spaces. Seems counterproductive. Full disclosure, I’m a white, Christian, American male. So I don’t have any experience with the marginalized population, but my point remains.

I find it interesting in today’s society that our solution to creating a more inclusive community is to establish segregated spaces. Seems counterproductive. Full disclosure, I’m a white, Christian, American male. So I don’t have any experience with the marginalized population, but my point remains.
Do you understand the concept of segregation though? This is very different, this is a choice that's made by a certain number of students, this doesn't appear to be forced, they're not identified as queer and then put in specific housing. I don't have any experience myself (while I hesitate to speak negatively because I've heard he passed away but I had a VERY difficult roommate my Freshman year that impacted my acclimation from NY to Clemson) but I could imagine that in SOME instances, it might be extremely difficult for LGBTQ+ students to be comfortable in certain living arrangements, particularly if placed with other students that hold the same beliefs as some people who've posted in this very thread. This would provide a space for them IF THEY CHOOSE. Maybe there are some that aren't "out" and this basically takes care of that but I don't see any issue with them making that decision for themselves or to be allowed to surround themselves with like-minded people.

In an ideal world, that more inclusive community would already exist and while it seems like strides have been made, it's pretty clear that's so damn far from the truth. I don't think forcing people into situations that don't benefit either the marginalized or the "marginalizer" is going to improve anything. That doesn't mean in every situation an LGBTQ+ person is going to be discriminated against, made to feel uncomfortable or anything but from my end of things, it's only right to give them the option to avoid that potential difficulty.

tenor.gif

I'm glad that everyone who is upset about this is also furious that we have separate housing for boys and girls. And I know they're upset about having different bathrooms.

Reactions: yoshi121374
Gonna admit it makes more sense after reading the article. Primary issue is for incoming freshmen it seems.

I always figured two homosexual men (or women) would just sign up to room together but if you're new to Clemson and don't know anyone, that could present an issue I did not originally think of. Plus other issues (community bathrooms if those are still a thing I guess, etc)

Last edited:
I'm glad that everyone who is upset about this is also furious that we have separate housing for boys and girls. And I know they're upset about having different bathrooms.

Many moons ago when dinosaurs roamed the earth and I was in undergrad, I had a discussion with a friend of mine about why a guy couldn't be roommates with a girl in on-campus housing if both so chose. Her point was that if two gay guys or gay girls were to live together, they could 'get it on whenever they wanted to." (This was many years ago).

Yeah - there are more reasons than that as to why roommates have to (maybe had to by now) be same sex but the comment was funny. This girl was known to be rather blunt in her opinions. Zero filter.

Reactions: fcctiger12
Liberals love to segregate by various protective classes. They wouldn’t know what to do if they had to treat humans equally.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT