ADVERTISEMENT

SCOTUS makes correct ruling on Colorado baker...

No. It would sort itself out. We both know most businesses will fail if using harsh practices. I say let them fail.

I'm just not big on gov't micromanaging small business practices outside of the tax code.

I mean, I strongly disagree with you but still appreciate that you have an ideal your sticking to. I feel that if things always "sort themselves out" that the Civil Rights Movement wouldn't have been necessary.

It is interesting how staunchly Christians are entrenched in this belief yet would likely hardly bat an eye for a 300 pound drunk gorging down tons of Taco Bell. Some consistency would be nice IMO
I get that you aren't a Christian by your past post. That's fine that is your choice. Take religin out of this topic. Just good ole common sense. Do you not have to have a male and female to reproduce? They're a reason Adam and Eve was made to reproduce. I have several gay friends, 2 brothers that are (different mates though ;)) , even had another one die from aids but I believe what they doing is wrong and I'm still friends with them. Now about the 300 lb woman I'll pass.

Didn't the baker sell to several other gays? I think the distinction of making/creating something specifically against ones beliefs and selling is critical.

It gets hairy. I think it's be one thing if they'd requested a cake that said "Happy Gay Marriage is Legal" and another if they just wanted a wedding cake. If they make nondescript wedding cakes for straight people they should make nondescript wedding cakes for gay people. Should he have been allowed to refuse to make a wedding cake for a Jewish couple?

Reactions: Steven15
I get that you aren't a Christian by your past post. That's fine that is your choice. Take religin out of this topic. Just good ole common sense. Do you not have to have a male and female to reproduce? They're a reason Adam and Eve was made to reproduce. I have several gay friends, 2 brothers that are (different mates though ;)) , even had another one die from aids but I believe what they doing is wrong and I'm still friends with them. Now about the 300 lb woman I'll pass.

Yeah, infertile couples shouldn't have rights either.

Reactions: iceheart08
Oh so since this is a "sincerely held religious belief", it's immune from being considered bigoted? I guess Radical Islamic Terrorists can't be judged by us because they really really feel that way. And that we shouldn't be critical of the theocratic governments that force women to cover themselves and don't allow them to drive. Or is it really only Christian beliefs that should be sacred?
In all that you wrote you didn't, or can't, answer my previous question.

I mean, I strongly disagree with you but still appreciate that you have an ideal your sticking to. I feel that if things always "sort themselves out" that the Civil Rights Movement wouldn't have been necessary.
I think you guys can both be right to a degree here. The free market would take cause the bakery to fail eventually, but eventually is the key word there. The Civil Rights Movement was because we as a country decided not to wait another hundred years for equality (or some approximation of it).

That said, what is the right thing to do? I don't know, I haven't studied this sort of thing enough, and my opinion would be relatively ignorant.

Totally different situation from same sex. Keep trying to twist it to fit your agenda or belief.

Sorry, my common sense dictates that, since procreation is so important in all of this, we shouldn't allow infertile couples to be married.

Reactions: TigerDutch

We are well beyond CR. And this is an individuals right to operate a business. I agree that one's rights cannot infringe upon another, but to my knowledge - this couple had other choices as far as getting a cake baked.

Is it wrong for a preacher to deny marrying a same sex couple?

Forgive my ignorance, but does the Bible state that the only reason humans were created was for the purpose of reproduction?

I think you guys can both be right to a degree here. The free market would take cause the bakery to fail eventually, but eventually is the key word there. The Civil Rights Movement was because we as a country decided not to wait another hundred years for equality (or some approximation of it).

That said, what is the right thing to do? I don't know, I haven't studied this sort of thing enough, and my opinion would be relatively ignorant.

The market only protects people if there are enough of them. A Greek business wouldn't fail if they refused service to all Turks but it'd messed up and not in line with our national values.

Your right. We should go back to segregation because that is how white people desired to operate their business. Maybe I'm dense, but I don't understand this line of thinking at all.

Not what I'm implying or saying

The market only protects people if there are enough of them. A Greek business wouldn't fail if they refused service to all Turks but it'd messed up and not in line with our national values.

What are our national values?

I use to know. Now I have no idea....

We are well beyond CR. And this is an individuals right to operate a business. I agree that one's rights cannot infringe upon another, but to my knowledge - this couple had other choices as far as getting a cake baked.

Is it wrong for a preacher to deny marrying a same sex couple?

I don't think the fact that there were other options is relevant. If there hadn't been other options, would it have still been ok?

I don't have any issue with a religion being legally allowed to discriminate (some awful thing may happen that makes me rethink that, though). I think that a public business that happens to have a religious owner is a different thing.

Reactions: CUPLAYER1

I don't know if @Steven15 is a Christ follower or not, but, I think he was referring to the 300 lb woman, who's body is supposed to be a temple of the Holy Spirit, killing herself with sodium and saturated fat.

I am a Christian and I agree with this take. I think we as Christians often get up on our soap box about certain issues that are considered sins in our faith, but not others. I think this is what he was going for, and for that reason, I assumed he may at least know the scriptures a little bit. For example, we condemn homosexuality, but yet we go home to our girlfriend whom we are not married to yet, which is also a sin.

You guys are both great posters.

It gets hairy. I think it's be one thing if they'd requested a cake that said "Happy Gay Marriage is Legal" and another if they just wanted a wedding cake. If they make nondescript wedding cakes for straight people they should make nondescript wedding cakes for gay people. Should he have been allowed to refuse to make a wedding cake for a Jewish couple?

All he has to say is "im sorry. Im booked".

End of story

Reactions: Rychek4
The Colorado Bakers Assoc is hosting a reparations party at Coors Field on 6/21. Funding provided by straight people for the benefit of gay newlyweds.

TRUmps already putting tons of good conservative judges in the court system.
If he gets 8 years, he’ll tilt the courts and the Supreme Court way, way, way right. I think that’s a good thing for every American that’s good and decent person.

Oh so since this is a "sincerely held religious belief", it's immune from being considered bigoted? I guess Radical Islamic Terrorists can't be judged by us because they really really feel that way. And that we shouldn't be critical of the theocratic governments that force women to cover themselves and don't allow them to drive. Or is it really only Christian beliefs that should be sacred?

Radical Islamic terrorists have the right to believe what they want - I respect that. And since they chose, and continue to choose, to export those rights me and a lot of my buddies where given an opportunity to drop 2000# bombs on their heads and kill them.

Radical Islamic terrorists have the right to believe what they want - I respect that. And since they chose, and continue to choose, to export those rights me and a lot of my buddies where given an opportunity to drop 2000# bombs on their heads and kill them.

Same thing with all this stuff: if a privately owned business owner chooses not to serve gays, or blacks, or whites, or little green men from Mars well that's his right. Probably not good for business, but still his right. You would have the opportunity to punish that business by choosing not to buy their product.

Gotcha. So it's Christian's sincerely held beliefs that are sacred, not everyone's.

Sorry, my common sense dictates that, since procreation is so important in all of this, we shouldn't allow infertile couples to be married.
Or, older women who are beyond the age to have children.

I don't know if @Steven15 is a Christ follower or not, but, I think he was referring to the 300 lb woman, who's body is supposed to be a temple of the Holy Spirit, killing herself with sodium and saturated fat.

I am a Christian and I agree with this take. I think we as Christians often get up on our soap box about certain issues that are considered sins in our faith, but not others. I think this is what he was going for, and for that reason, I assumed he may at least know the scriptures a little bit. For example, we condemn homosexuality, but yet we go home to our girlfriend whom we are not married to yet, which is also a sin.

You guys are both great posters.
Yes I love @Steven15 . Greatest gif poster ever.

I probably agree that there shouldn't be a law against it. The baker can do what he wants.

Doesn't change the fact he's a bigot.

I'm of two minds on this one. First, of course I hate telling someone what they can and can't do... If you are a government employee, you have to serve citizens w/o discrimination, but at some point don't you have a right to be a bigot/asshole if you are a private citizen running a business.

On the other hand, discrimination is wrong. For instance if I'm a baker and say that my religion says that African American's are sinning b/c their skin is darker than mine and I refuse to sell them a cake, that's not OK. This argument was tried and rejected back in the 60's. You can't discriminate b/c of race. Now it seems to me, that IF you can't discriminate b/c of sexual preference, this case would be identical.

This is not an argument for or against (Although I definitely have an opinion here), it just seems inconsistent to me.

Well, two married gay women could easily procreate. In this day and age, it's not that hard to have or adopt kids that a couple did not create together.

When was the proof to procreate part of the ability to get married or contract to marry?

The act of procreating mixed race children and the stigma that would be used against them was an argument against interracial marriage in the 60s. Now you want to use the lack of as a reason against gay marriage.

Can we please state for the record that the owner didn't refuse to serve anyone. If those same people wanted cookies, cupcakes, weed brownies, or whatever else this place served, i think the owner could care less. The owner refused to make a custom "wedding" cake due to their belief on marriage. That is similar to refusing to make a penis cake because they didn't think that would be appropriate either. This isn't a segregation or jihad thing. stop trying to draw similarities.

If he gets 8 years, he’ll tilt the courts and the Supreme Court way, way, way right. I think that’s a good thing for every American that’s good and decent person.
"Way, way, way" in either direction is probably not a good thing. Extremists exist on the fringes of both parties.

Can we please state for the record that the owner didn't refuse to serve anyone. If those same people wanted cookies, cupcakes, weed brownies, or whatever else this place served, i think the owner could care less. The owner refused to make a custom "wedding" cake due to their belief on marriage. That is similar to refusing to make a penis cake because they didn't think that would be appropriate either. This isn't a segregation or jihad thing. stop trying to draw similarities.

Was the guy making penis cakes for everyone buy gay people? Oh, he just wasn't making penis cakes at all so it's not a problem. It's also not a problem for a caterer to refuse to make a refrigerator for a gay guy; the caterer doesn't make refrigerators. Now, if the caterer refused to do catering for a gay couples wedding it sure starts to sound like discrimination to me.

Reactions: iceheart08
I appreciate your consistency with being a tool. If you'd read any of the numerous comments in this thread, you'd see that the ruling was very narrow and said that Colorado was not neutral in their application of the law.

Also if you can't figure out the ways "sincerely held religious beliefs" can be used to do things that none of us want, you haven't thought very hard about it. There clearly must be limits to religious exemptions.

Triggered

Should a muslim store owner be allowed to refuse service to all Christians?

Yes, I believe he has that right. It's not my job nor the government's job to dictate who he chooses to do business with. It all takes care of itself. Tool. ;)

Last edited:
I guess because it goes back to the root of the debate - imo one isna choice and one is not.

So discrimination on race and gender is a no go, discrimination on religion, veteran status, and sexual orientation is a go?

So discrimination on race and gender is a no go, discrimination on religion, veteran status, and sexual orientation is a go?

Why lump them? Should we arrest all muslims or just ones who blow shit up?

Why lump them? Should we arrest all muslims or just ones who blow shit up?

I'm just trying to understand what you're saying. If I read you correctly, racial discrimination isn't acceptable because you don't choose what race you (but you do choose your sexuality, apparently?) I think you said already that businesses should be able to discriminate on the basis of religion but I'm surprised to see you say that ending segregation was a good thing (based on your stances on the individual rights of business owners).

Yea, but has Trump defanged the courts?

I'm just trying to understand what you're saying. If I read you correctly, racial discrimination isn't acceptable because you don't choose what race you (but you do choose your sexuality, apparently?) I think you said already that businesses should be able to discriminate on the basis of religion but I'm surprised to see you say that ending segregation was a good thing (based on your stances on the individual rights of business owners).

One has nothing to do with the other. Business owners should be allowed to run their business as they see fit.

Gays should also be allowed to marry.

Let people do as they wish. The market will take care of the businesses. God will take care of the couples.

Just my opinion. I just get sick and tired of people telling other people how to live....

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT