ADVERTISEMENT

Staffing Shortages

The Democratic Party's 50 + year old plan is paying off.
1. Cannot get enough voters from middle America so
2. Pander to every one % there is" LGBT, ethnic minority, transgenders, students with debt, illegal aliens, etc. etc. to create a "majority" .
3. Give # 2 above something free to buy votes and keep them on the government teat, keep stoking the fire with propaganda aimed at dividing the country.
4. Control the media. Heck, create a "Ministry of Truth" to control thought and opinion. Cancel all who express different ideas to theirs.
5. Open the borders. Let illegals in. Give them health care at the expense of citizens. Let them vote.

Hell of a plan isn't it? And it's working.
I laugh at the people who call the Biden administration and the Democrats incompetent. They are genius. Everything you see happening is exactly what they want.

time to end unemployment and end all entitlements… you don’t work you starve… that’s equilibrium and where we are headed when the shit hits the fan
History shows crime would go through the roof. Every action has an equal reaction.

I laugh at the people who call the Biden administration and the Democrats incompetent. They are genius. Everything you see happening is exactly what they want.

Biden is just their puppet…he doesn’t have a clue what’s going on but the others sure as hell do

Reactions: REDSKNDON
With all due respect, you could not be more wrong. I run a commercial HVAC business. I am paying a premium wage with benefits and cannot even get someone to apply for open jobs. Basically, I am paying people 30% over the market average. Every business I know is in the same boat.

you are correct

there is going to be a labor market correction

getting my popcorn ready to see Biden blame Trump on this

Elon will solve this is Biden will just ask

or Trump can solve it with an operation Warp Speed on labor

Biden is just their puppet…he doesn’t have a clue what’s going on but the others sure as hell do

Amen the plan is working perfectly

The Chinese are smiling all the way to the plan to teach us Mandarin Chinese and eliminate parts of our society by a future genocide and forced slavery

You may think me crazy and a radical but look at what they are doing in China now

They will export it to the USA once the they are in control

Reactions: nmerritt11
With all due respect, you could not be more wrong. I run a commercial HVAC business. I am paying a premium wage with benefits and cannot even get someone to apply for open jobs. Basically, I am paying people 30% over the market average. Every business I know is in the same boat.
All of us in the home improvement biz are facing the same issues. Not enough skilled tradesmen out there these days

Society seems to have developed a stigma that kids who go to trade schools after high school are below everybody else going to college so now there’s a severe shortage of plumbers, electricians, carpenters, etc.

absolutely and the talk is about baby formula shortage but there is a shortage of nutrition across the board with the elderly and sick as well. Wound care…damn near everything

It is an absolute freaking mess and isn’t getting better anytime soon. People thought the PPE hysteria was bad…just hold my beer

just to add to your nutrition comment I am working on a plan to improve nutrition for seniors through healthier food choices where I live and hav retired

the issue is so many older people don’t want to cook so they eat more highly processed foods with loads of gluten sugar and preservatives to name a few of the. Negatives

Senior nutrition is a huge. Issue for. My area

just to add to your nutrition comment I am working on a plan to improve nutrition for seniors through healthier food choices where I live and hav retired

the issue is so many older people don’t want to cook so they eat more highly processed foods with loads of gluten sugar and preservatives to name a few of the. Negatives

Senior nutrition is a huge. Issue for. My area

I know a doctor that has a practice and it centers around get well/stay well. Nutrition is a huge part of it and she even has a kitchen in her practice that does cooking classes. It’s really cool

Working with her husband on a possible senior living project currently

Reactions: jroller
A big issue is many two income households realized during Covid that one salary basically paid for for child care which has been very undependable during Covid. So many decided not to renter the workforce. Others who had one full and one part time job have figured out how to reduce expenses and only work a full time job.
Both of these heavily contribute to the reduction in workforce.
Part of the reason this happened is tax structure and supplemental benefits. You get to keep a much, much larger percentage of your income at a lower tax bracket. One wage coming in means eligibility for food stamps, Obama Care subsidy or expanded Medicaid.
The "emergency" authorization for expanded food stamps added MILLIONS of recipients and Medicaid added as many as 14 Million!! The "COVID Emergency" status was just extended (again) by the Biden administration. I expect it to be ended just before Midterm Elections so the families cut off will feel the pain and vote to get their benefits back.
This is a very complex issue. There are good arguments that early daycare is not as good for the child as being at home with mom. From personal experience (my wife worked full time after my son hit 18 months). We had inexpensive daycare, after school (inside the school) programs, and YMCA summer camp. School also had longer hours. The big factories around me have shift change at 3:00 PM. The elementary schools let out at 2:30!. Make school longer and have two or more recess times. Add back music and other parts of the curriculum that have been cost cut out. Make the economics work for two parents to work and have the gaps in care bridged. All welfare benefits to support families need to be sliding scale to let people have more disposable income if they do work. Part of that needs to be an adjustment in taxes. The jump in tax brackets is insane. When a couple hits the 22% bracket, with the State, FICA, and SS you only get to keep half of what is earned. I know of many couples that make the decision to have one of the earners work part time, refuse overtime, or not work at all.

I know of 2 deaths personally and they were both working....62 and 36... father and son 17 days apart... I do not deny your point... but that is stil 300,000 working age people
Sorry but 300K is nothing in the overall scheme. The American work force has 165 MILLION people in it.

Sorry but 300K is nothing in the overall scheme. The American work force has 165 MILLION people in it.
Majority were 70+ so people using shortage on Covid deaths have their head in the sand for your reasoning and the Covid death numbers which are greatly skewed in the first place

Reactions: alex24 and PawsFan_
time to end unemployment and end all entitlements… you don’t work you starve… that’s equilibrium and where we are headed when the shit hits the fan
So are you going to pay me back all the money I have paid into unemployment?

Here's the myth about unemployment that a lot of you don't get. You can only collect unemployment if you paid into it. The amount you get from the state is directly proportional to what YOU paid into it. The length you get unemployment is directly to how much YOU have paid into it. For many, unemployment is only a few hundred dollars per week for a few months. It's not enough to live on. Just enough to help some.

Granted the Fed plussed up some of this during COVID but that's over. You could only get the benefit if you lost your job due to COVID.

Just a thought.

It just cost me $130 to fill up my truck this morning. If someone makes $15/hour, that means it cost more than a day of work just for gas.

• Wow
Reactions: scott in nashville
One more thought. A lot of you are espousing the virtues of working from home. I worked for IBM for more than a decade. IBM does not provide permanent office space to most of its employees: especially if you are client facing. I was either on the road or working from home. I investment is a nice desk, top of the line printer/scanner/fact, dedicated phone line etc. I paid for all of this plus internet, print cartridges, paper etc. IBM wouldn't reimburse a dime.

The advantage to IBM, they are able to reduce a lot of office space and office supply expense. You are picking up the tab.

The advantage to me, I could wear shorts, didn't have to commute, and could get some chores done at home, if needed, during the day.

Here's the other reason your employer likes it. You will work a LOT more than 40 hours a week if you are at home. Your computer and phone will always find you. I'd worked from 0800 to 1800 every day. I'd break for dinner and help get my youngin's to bed around 2000. I'd be back at the laptop after they were asleep work until midnight. Your home life and work life are now intertwined. It's hard to disconnect. Studies have shown workers who work from home will work a lot longer than those who go into an office. Working from home isn't always a good deal.

A big issue is many two income households realized during Covid that one salary basically paid for for child care which has been very undependable during Covid. So many decided not to renter the workforce. Others who had one full and one part time job have figured out how to reduce expenses and only work a full time job.
Both of these heavily contribute to the reduction in workforce.
I don't think this is being talked about enough as part of the reason. A part time work from home gig and you can net more than you were making with a full time job.

I see all kinds of data that supports exactly what you are talking about. Not to mention the job freedom so many white collar jobs were given when work from anywhere gained widespread acceptance. I can’t tell you how many people I deal with every day who are working from home in some desireable area (Austin, Salt Lake City, Lake Keowee) but would be in some cubicle in a major city 3 years ago.

I am curious how many recent retirees took the plunge a little early after seeing 3 double digit years of growth in their 401k’s…and then how many of them will have to return if the current market trend continues. Just something to keep an eye on.
Yeah, the mass exodus that we are seeing from places like New York, LA, Chicago where they were already paying top $ for their home because of real estate is what has driven the SE and other desirable location's housing prices through the roof. Now that they don't have to work in the office and can work from home, there's no reason to have a 2,000 sf house that costs $1 mill+ in San Francisco when you can/could get something much larger in a better location.

All of us in the home improvement biz are facing the same issues. Not enough skilled tradesmen out there these days

Society seems to have developed a stigma that kids who go to trade schools after high school are below everybody else going to college so now there’s a severe shortage of plumbers, electricians, carpenters, etc.
thanks Biden

Yeah, the mass exodus that we are seeing from places like New York, LA, Chicago where they were already paying top $ for their home because of real estate is what has driven the SE and other desirable location's housing prices through the roof. Now that they don't have to work in the office and can work from home, there's no reason to have a 2,000 sf house that costs $1 mill+ in San Francisco when you can/could get something much larger in a better location.
They aren't the only ones driving up prices in those areas....

THIS is what I don't understand. Why is it that a person making the minimum should be trying to raise a household of 4. You should be raising a household of one and probably even be having a roommate. That is what is wrong with this country. We have a generation that doesn't prepare themselves for their future and jump in and have kids and then complain to everyone else that they can't cut it. Prepare yourself. Grow your skillset, start earning a living wage and THEN start a family.
just wait until Roe v. Wade is overturned.

Not everyone is able to choose the situation into which they are placed in life. Even so, let’s assume you are married with 2 young children, high school diploma and technical skills training, wife has similar education. If your top earning potential is $15/hour, then another household wage earner (wife) at similar or less wages won’t even scratch the surface of child care for those two kids. Are you saying that people in this income bracket shouldn’t have a family? If I had waited until I was financially stable to start my family it would’ve never happened haha.

Again, single person at $15/hour is just over 50% of the average median income for Greenville county. And that’s from 2020 which doesn’t account for about 20% inflation. This is a real problem for many.
$15 an hour is a starting wage. Show up on time, work hard, be flexible, learn, grow your skill set, profit

Reactions: CUT93
As posted earlier in the thread, unemployment payments, etc are back to pre pandemic levels. The stimulus checks amounted to a couple months rent. There hasn’t been a Covid related unemployment benefit paid in over a year.

Here’s what’s happening: the largest demographic cohort in American history has been at or near retirement age for a decade now but not retiring at normal rates due to losses on retirement portfolios sustained in 2007-2009. Those people were/are occupying the higher paid positions in many companies and now they’re retiring. This creates a vacuum at the top and big opportunity for everyone below them. This wave of retirements has hit my sector (engineering) hard and it’s been pretty common for mid careers like me in our 30’s to see 30-50% wage increases over the last year with the right job change.

It’s not that people don’t want to work. It’s that there’s more open jobs than there are people and folks are able to be selective and a lot of jobs simply are not attractive or haven’t kept up with reality in terms of compensation. $15/hour is a good wage for a service sector worker but if they can go get an entry level clerk job that has long term career progression prospects and pays $20, the reason they aren’t bussing your tables isn’t because they’re lazy.
Specifically, in engineering, there are more PE's retiring than there are people getting them. This is a 15+ year trend. I had a group of like 15 friends including myself that were spread out over different engineering groups. I'm the only one that actually uses a stamp. 3 or 4 went to healthcare, 1 to law, 1 works for the govt/public and has a PE but doesn't use it for anything, and the rest went to sales or engineering business related stuff.

Reactions: Dungeon09
So are you going to pay me back all the money I have paid into unemployment?

Here's the myth about unemployment that a lot of you don't get. You can only collect unemployment if you paid into it. The amount you get from the state is directly proportional to what YOU paid into it. The length you get unemployment is directly to how much YOU have paid into it. For many, unemployment is only a few hundred dollars per week for a few months. It's not enough to live on. Just enough to help some.

Granted the Fed plussed up some of this during COVID but that's over. You could only get the benefit if you lost your job due to COVID.

I’m sorry you think the government can manage your money better than you can.

Yes you should be refunded every dollar you’ve paid for unemployment by the state and also we should dissolve social security and pay that out as well

No where close to 400,000…assuming all people who were 18-65 were working which we know isn’t the case it would be around 250k. That’s not near enough to put the struggle that we are seeing on the work force. Of that 250k I’m sure there is a large percentage that were unhealthy and had other underlying conditions. Probably some that had people unable to work.

The scary part is how much the healthcare industry has been crippled both with supplies and staff.

The deaths “related” to COVID have not hindered the work force. Sorry that’s just rainbows and unicorns.

To say it hasn’t had any effect is simply asinine.

Example. After 12 years and numerous multi day power outages, finally broke down and bought a home generator In August. .

At the sale in August was told “Well Mr FCT I will let you put this deposit down and your generator is sitting on a pallet about 45 minutes from here but I want to be very up front - we cannot install it until APRIL due to a lack of available certified and trained electricians to do the install. We have been trying to hire and train for 18 months and get people.“

Friend tells tale of how long the Buc-ee’s outside Florence took to open because no cashiers to work $18-22 an hour jobs.

Three restaurants and a supermarket near me want to pause the buildouts for fear they can’t hire.

Its crazy.

Where did the people go? UFOs? Bermuda Triangle? Secret Mars Colony ?
It's a combination of things. For one, we had a lot of people close to retirement and COVID pushed them over the edge. We also had people take a long look at what they were doing and reevaluate their life trajectory. They decided to step back and not work as much. That's true of a lot of folks, particularly those that worked lower wage jobs. I had a friend decide that they would just do with less and he would farm full time in order to spend more time with family. He actually left an $85k job. Lots of people in F&B looked into doing something different during the lockdown and liked it. There is also the immigration issue. I don't think people realize how many jobs were done by illegals. We've been cracking down and there are fewer coming in. It's also getting harder to stay. Lastly, we've cut back on legal immigration, including not letting people extend their visas. My wife just lost an intern who had transitioned into more of a paralegal role while she was in school. She was over here on a soccer scholarship and had to return home as soon as she graduated. We basically deported a new college graduate with a job and valuable skill set.

deaths of older Americans should have freed those nurses and nursing homes personnel up to care for more people
The problem with COVID and our healthcare system is not the deaths, it's the long term sick. People with other serious diseases don't stay in ICU nearly as long. COVID can keep people hospitalized weeks and months. Even though people are dying at a lower rate, hospitals are busier than ever.

To say it hasn’t had any effect is simply asinine.

dude whatever the Covid deaths haven’t created a shortage…250k under the age of 65 hasn’t hurt anything. Especially the restaurant and labor industry where most of the people are 18-30 years old and that accounted for very little Covid issues. Just stop…less than 100k account for the work force most hit by this. To think Covid is the reason for staff shortage is asinine. You think 50-65 year old people would be waiting tables or working in fast food? Or even in warehouses? You’re smarter than this

Reactions: coldbud1994
It's a combination of things. For one, we had a lot of people close to retirement and COVID pushed them over the edge. We also had people take a long look at what they were doing and reevaluate their life trajectory. They decided to step back and not work as much. That's true of a lot of folks, particularly those that worked lower wage jobs. I had a friend decide that they would just do with less and he would farm full time in order to spend more time with family. He actually left an $85k job. Lots of people in F&B looked into doing something different during the lockdown and liked it. There is also the immigration issue. I don't think people realize how many jobs were done by illegals. We've been cracking down and there are fewer coming in. It's also getting harder to stay. Lastly, we've cut back on legal immigration, including not letting people extend their visas. My wife just lost an intern who had transitioned into more of a paralegal role while she was in school. She was over here on a soccer scholarship and had to return home as soon as she graduated. We basically deported a new college graduate with a job and valuable skill set.
Honestly, I don't know why (well, yes, I do...) we don't make legal immigration much easier. Frankly, many of the hardest working folks in America are not from America.

Reactions: Dungeon09
One more thought. A lot of you are espousing the virtues of working from home. I worked for IBM for more than a decade. IBM does not provide permanent office space to most of its employees: especially if you are client facing. I was either on the road or working from home. I investment is a nice desk, top of the line printer/scanner/fact, dedicated phone line etc. I paid for all of this plus internet, print cartridges, paper etc. IBM wouldn't reimburse a dime.

The advantage to IBM, they are able to reduce a lot of office space and office supply expense. You are picking up the tab.

The advantage to me, I could wear shorts, didn't have to commute, and could get some chores done at home, if needed, during the day.

Here's the other reason your employer likes it. You will work a LOT more than 40 hours a week if you are at home. Your computer and phone will always find you. I'd worked from 0800 to 1800 every day. I'd break for dinner and help get my youngin's to bed around 2000. I'd be back at the laptop after they were asleep work until midnight. Your home life and work life are now intertwined. It's hard to disconnect. Studies have shown workers who work from home will work a lot longer than those who go into an office. Working from home isn't always a good deal.
But you don't have to use the gas you just put in your truck so working from home has its benefits.

Are you any good with Trane Voyager package units?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT