ADVERTISEMENT

Staffing Shortages

Damn I love capitalism. People exercising their freedom to be selective in what jobs they take or not take a job at all, going to force employers to increase wages and worker’s benefits. Maybe the US will see its first major increase in real wages in decades.

Can’t wait to see how the free market works this out!

time to end unemployment and end all entitlements… you don’t work you starve… that’s equilibrium and where we are headed when the shit hits the fan

There are no hungry people today, literally and figuratively. Majority want a CEO paid position but want to put forth little effort. Wish I had more than an opinion, especially an answer.

Reactions: tigerrb
People realized during the pandemic they are worth more than 7.25 an hour. Businesses that pay well are not having staffing shortages.

Just look at Chic-Fil-A as a prime example.
Most CFA employees come from a family that encourages good values, one being "hard work pays off". This line of thinking is becoming a fossil fuel...

If the free market can’t compete with unemployment benefits then we have a very serious wage problem.
What kind of government wants unemployment benefits to compete with the private sector. Unemployment should be a safety net. Unfortunately for over a year, it was the private sector’s biggest competition during a pandemic.

People realized during the pandemic they are worth more than 7.25 an hour. Businesses that pay well are not having staffing shortages.

Just look at Chic-Fil-A as a prime example.
When you dropped out of high school, may or may not have a Good Enough Diploma, or went to college and majored in Sexuality Studies, $7.25/hr is pretty steep.

But to add to points made in here, we haven’t seen shit yet. Diesel prices through the roof, also facing a potential shortage. Ports are no where close to being caught up. And yet, there is nothing going on to fix it. That’s what happens when no one (both parties) in Washington ever accomplished anything and don’t care to now that there in office.

Unemployment is lower than ever. This is due to a reallocation

-Manual laborers have found comparable pay with better hours presumably.
-Demand for everything is up.

-Those stimmies helped a ton …a segment of people got caught up on bills
-spending habits changed (what do you not buy anymore now that you work from home for examole?)
-Lots of folks went ahead and retired early.

Its a combination of a

time to end unemployment and end all entitlements… you don’t work you starve… that’s equilibrium and where we are headed when the shit hits the fan
We should have a "long term" welfare work requirment. After 2 yrs, you're painting HUD houses, picking up trash on roads, etc to continue to receive benefits.

Welfare should not be something u retire from.

What kind of government wants unemployment benefits to compete with the private sector. Unemployment should be a safety net. Unfortunately for over a year, it was the private sector’s biggest competition during a pandemic.
Right, for that time period it was. But that’s over now. In most places unemployment insurance isn’t even a liveable wage. So my point is that if the claim is that people aren’t going back to work because its better for them to live off on unemployment even now that the federal increase has ended, then it just further points to the wage problem that we have. It probably also points to the overall shittiness of some of these jobs (in hospitality, retail, service industries) that aren’t getting filled.

Unemployment is a safety net, and if the safety net is preferable to actual jobs, then that’s not the safety net’s fault - its the employers’ fault.

I might be more for that if employers didn’t pay starvation wages at every chance they get

Reactions: ladedade
An evil one

Reactions: Idoconcrete
What are you considering “entry level type pay”? Just curious.

I’ve seen as low as $13 hr, but most seem to be in the $17-20 range.

I should also mention that many of the posts ask for min 1 yr experience, some ask for 3-5 yrs experience at that pay range.

I suspect those screens play at least a small role in the problem in another way.

How many people aren't working because they can make what they need (or more) online?

Sure there are "influencers" making millions, but there are also people like me.

I retired from teaching with 28 years (minimum required years). My financial guy says "sure you can retire, but you have to get a supplemental job making $X/year to maintain your lifestyle." That's not lots of money, mind you, but I would have had to get something small, say working at the local hardware store, or Walmart greeter, or whatever.

I haven't had to do that because the blog income covers my needs. Now, not a lot of folks taking that approach, I suspect, but thinking broader, cumulatively, there is a decent number who use the internet as an income source.

There's no need to "get a job" because you can make your own way with a computer and internet connection.
Yeah, has to play somewhat of a role. Would be interesting to know how much.

28 years, Wow, that's a good stretch. You got out at a pretty good time I think.

Right, for that time period it was. But that’s over now. In most places unemployment insurance isn’t even a liveable wage. So my point is that if the claim is that people aren’t going back to work because its better for them to live off on unemployment even now that the federal increase has ended, then it just further points to the wage problem that we have. It probably also points to the overall shittiness of some of these jobs (in hospitality, retail, service industries) that aren’t getting filled.

Unemployment is a safety net, and if the safety net is preferable to actual jobs, then that’s not the safety net’s fault - its the employers’ fault.
But it’s not over now. It had a dramatic impact on the wage market. For a year, hundreds of thousands of workers had an option to keep working for $15-$18 an hour or quit and receive $800 a week in unemployment on top $2400 a month (family of 4). Meanwhile during that time frame private businesses faced issues galor. In the manufacturing industry, companies had to battle logistics and supply chain issues. Had to figure out ways to find raw materials and then warehouse space when they found materials. So when they were ready to increase production, those companies had to invest $10 more per hour for those entry level positions. Then battle turnover for the crowd who decided to change professions and then couldn’t grasp the processes of manufacturing.

It ain’t as fvcking easy as you’re making it.

A big issue is many two income households realized during Covid that one salary basically paid for for child care which has been very undependable during Covid. So many decided not to renter the workforce. Others who had one full and one part time job have figured out how to reduce expenses and only work a full time job.
Both of these heavily contribute to the reduction in workforce.

Damn I love capitalism. People exercising their freedom to be selective in what jobs they take or not take a job at all, going to force employers to increase wages and worker’s benefits. Maybe the US will see its first major increase in real wages in decades.

Shite take and you have to know that. But whatever rustles the Jimmies.

Just so we’re clear, it’s the employers fault that the service worker has the ability to make a liveable wage that according to this thread is now up 30% from just a year ago but would rather not work because the job is shitty and we have a “wage problem” for a largely unskilled and uneducated wage work force.

In your world where shitty job wages are “desirable” - which of course has no ceiling whatsoever - who takes these shitty jobs? They’re still shit after all and there are of course jobs available that aren’t shit. Would truly hate for someone to do something they don’t want to.

How does government solve such a shitty attitude? What institutions fix laziness? Genuinely curious.

Just so we’re clear, it’s the employers fault that the service worker has the ability to make a liveable wage that according to this thread is now up 30% from just a year ago but would rather not work because the job is shitty and we have a “wage problem” for a largely unskilled and uneducated wage work force.

In your world where shitty job wages are “desirable” - which of course has no ceiling whatsoever - who takes these shitty jobs? They’re still shit after all and there are of course jobs available that aren’t shit. Would truly hate for someone to do something they don’t want to.

How does government solve such a shitty attitude? What institutions fix laziness? Genuinely curious.

the fear of starvation fixes laziness

Generally speaking, people just do NOT want to work. Drawing that government check is just easier. It is a shame!

Yeah, has to play somewhat of a role. Would be interesting to know how much.

28 years, Wow, that's a good stretch. You got out at a pretty good time I think.
Would be. It is very possible to make a significant income as a blogger. In a blogging group I belong to, lots of my peers, when asked for inspiration by a fellow blogger, reported their best ad-revenue income month in ranges from $20k to as much as $140K.

Man...when I started teaching it was a 30-year commitment. For some reason, the state reduced it to 28 about halfway through. So grateful to be out. Don't miss a thing.

the fear of starvation fixes laziness
I get what you’re saying but no one should ever die of starvation in America. Period. But the idea that the government should be the primary competition in artificially determining wages (not with jobs mind you) is actually insane.

There has to be middle ground here, right?

Reactions: Sldorange91
I might be more for that if employers didn’t pay starvation wages at every chance they get

hopefully you aren’t a hypocrite and always buy the most expensive option for food, clothes, cars, houses, etc and hire the most expensive contractors and landscape companies so those businesses can pay more

Reactions: ptg9471
So here’s the total US workforce (in millions). We have experienced greater than 10,000 retire/exit the workforce per day for quite some time. Hard to blame entitlements for this….unless it’s the retirees receiving social security you are upset with.

Adjusted to exclude farming, which has experienced a spike throughout Covid, is equal to 2019 as of April.

Great opportunity for those who want to work. I'm frustrated with those who come to work but have no incentive to improve their skills and knowledge, just do average work and clock out at 5.

Is it really free market when they get paid by the government to sit at home. And the government issues rules that you can't be evicted. And you can get your food stamps to get just about whatever food you want to buy.

The true free market would be with almost no government intervention. You can't pay rent? Sorry hope you like sleeping outside. Those food stamps will buy you some Ramen noodles, government cheese and crackers, and some beans and rice. Let's see how many demands these lazy people make if that was their reality.

Great opportunity for those who want to work. I'm frustrated with those who come to work but have no incentive to improve their skills and knowledge, just do average work and clock out at 5.
Had a smart boss a long time tell me you can’t fix the minimum wage mentality. Some people just don’t want more. Not our place to judge them for it or think we can change them. The world needs people like that to do tasks that would drive the rest of us crazy.

Reactions: GoodWord28
But it’s not over now. It had a dramatic impact on the wage market. For a year, hundreds of thousands of workers had an option to keep working for $15-$18 an hour or quit and receive $800 a week in unemployment on top $2400 a month (family of 4). Meanwhile during that time frame private businesses faced issues galor. In the manufacturing industry, companies had to battle logistics and supply chain issues. Had to figure out ways to find raw materials and then warehouse space when they found materials. So when they were ready to increase production, those companies had to invest $10 more per hour for those entry level positions. Then battle turnover for the crowd who decided to change professions and then couldn’t grasp the processes of manufacturing.

It ain’t as fvcking easy as you’re making it.
Sounds like these businesses need to pull themselves up by their boot straps.

The skills gap has been widening for quite a while now. I also tend to think our immigration policy has had something to do with it. We also have a ton of boomer's retiring and leaving the workforce, and that only accelerated during covid. Add to that our economy has been running and growing hot for quite a while now....eventually we were simply going to run out of bodies.

I'm not sure what it's like where you are, but there is industrial development going on everywhere along 85 and in the upstate of SC. That's a lot of new high paying blue collar jobs injected into a not so populated area.

There are currently two open jobs for every unemployed person in this country right now. Feeling more and more like a recession is coming (or already here). Unemployment reverting back to the mean will help right this part of the ship. But that will be temporary if we don't adjust our policies.
This is a pretty good summary of what I’m seeing, at least in my profession (A/E). Lots of people easing into early retirement combined with a hot economy that is creating more jobs than there are people to fill the positions. Also, many young people are starting their own small businesses rather than working for someone else. I’m talking about white collar jobs and the ability to hire recent grads, so in my experience the stimulus packages have not been a factor. More just a product of a strong economy that is rebounding from covid and everyone trying to take advantage of it while they can.

This is a pretty good summary of what I’m seeing, at least in my profession (A/E). Lots of people easing into early retirement combined with a hot economy that is creating more jobs than there are people to fill the positions. Also, many young people are starting their own small businesses rather than working for someone else. I’m talking about white collar jobs and the ability to hire recent grads, so in my experience the stimulus packages have not been a factor. More just a product of a strong economy that is rebounding from covid and everyone trying to take advantage of it while they can.
I see all kinds of data that supports exactly what you are talking about. Not to mention the job freedom so many white collar jobs were given when work from anywhere gained widespread acceptance. I can’t tell you how many people I deal with every day who are working from home in some desireable area (Austin, Salt Lake City, Lake Keowee) but would be in some cubicle in a major city 3 years ago.

I am curious how many recent retirees took the plunge a little early after seeing 3 double digit years of growth in their 401k’s…and then how many of them will have to return if the current market trend continues. Just something to keep an eye on.

Wrong!

People with no education/no high school diploma won't work for $19 hr with FREE medical insurance after 3 months on the job.

Wife has OVER 200 open positions in manufacturing to fill in Upstate and can't find anyone to work. Minimum pay starts at $15 to $17 hour and nothing.

To OP's point, "where did all the people go"? Still alot of folks sitting at home doing nothing, collecting unemployment for whatever amount of weeks they can get.

It's awful and only getting worse.
$15 an hour seems like a lot in the surface, but in Greenville county where I live that is about 57% AMI for a household of one. In other words, you would qualify for low income housing. It’s also just barely above the poverty level for a household of four. Combine that with inflation and the rapidly rising cost of housing in the southeast and you can see why those jobs are not as attractive as they used to be. I really don’t see this as a function of laziness, at least not in my experience. It’s simply that workers have more opportunities in a growing economy and are taking advantage of those opportunities.

I see all kinds of data that supports exactly what you are talking about. Not to mention the job freedom so many white collar jobs were given when work from anywhere gained widespread acceptance. I can’t tell you how many people I deal with every day who are working from home in some desireable area (Austin, Salt Lake City, Lake Keowee) but would be in some cubicle in a major city 3 years ago.

I am curious how many recent retirees took the plunge a little early after seeing 3 double digit years of growth in their 401k’s…and then how many of them will have to return if the current market trend continues. Just something to keep an eye on.
I’m sure some early retirees without much cash savings may struggle. I don’t follow Wall Street at all, but if they’re in it for the long haul then most will be okay. The economy is cyclical and things will level out. I remember bottoming out my first IRA in 2008. Didn’t contribute for the next 4 years but still ended up where I started when the economy cycled back up.

I’m sure some early retirees without much cash savings may struggle. I don’t follow Wall Street at all, but if they’re in it for the long haul then most will be okay. The economy is cyclical and things will level out. I remember bottoming out my first IRA in 2008. Didn’t contribute for the next 4 years but still ended up where I started when the economy cycled back up.
I work in finance. In my experience most don’t have a solid plan when retiring. You’d be surprised how many don’t plan for something as basic as inflation. Also - typically the biggest risk to a good retirement plan is that the market takes a big dip right at the beginning.

Reactions: PawsFan_ and rac9s
Everywhere you turn - health care, hotel restaurant and tourism, retail, manufacturing, its seems that industries are facing horrible staffing shortages.

I have a simple question - where did all the people go?

All of the sales clerks, nurses, carpenters, painters, waiters, etc, can't all be sitting around spending COVID money. Its been too long.

What gives?
Just read through most of the three pages. I am impressed folks! Nobody really attacking others. I know I just jinxed it, but a tip of the hat to everyone!

This is a fascinating time to be alive. So much is changing. Some good and some bad.

Hey, at least we have gotten to experience the best 11+ years of Clemson ever (and I want to stress there is and will be more).

Before you get down or think about attacking a poster, just remember you could be a Gamecock fan. Let that sink in.

Everywhere you turn - health care, hotel restaurant and tourism, retail, manufacturing, its seems that industries are facing horrible staffing shortages.

I have a simple question - where did all the people go?

All of the sales clerks, nurses, carpenters, painters, waiters, etc, can't all be sitting around spending COVID money. Its been too long.

What gives?
Forgot to mention; I work for a top five rated Glassdoor company and we have a hard time finding folks. We are 100% remote too and offer pretty good salaries.

This is impacting everyone.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT