ADVERTISEMENT

State of the Union : In Game Thread

You're correct, he doesn't create jobs, but he (the President) does leverage tax and financial incentives for businesses to promote domestic production. You're welcome to rebut each point I made with supporting data and explain to me why I shouldn't actually support our President because of them.

Manufacturing employment is the highest it's been since 2008. He may not have much to do with it, but it happened under his watch so he gets credit for it. Just like Trump would get credit for it if it happened under his watch.
46,000 projects have been awarded funding due to the Infrastructure bill, so I believe he deserves a lot of the direct credit for that.

That graph was purposefully shrunk to make the change look more dramatic. The one I attached shows it more to scale and we can see how the picture changes based on how one wants to present it. It's a small difference and as you almost certainly know, those jobs weren't just conjured out of thin air. They are jobs in factories where construction began four or five years ago given delays associated with Covid. Playing the same silly game others play because it's politically convenient isn't being intellectually honest.

Any responsible leader at this point is going to begin with our national debt (Trump ran up the debt like a mad-man too) and then move to the serious issues we have with Social Security, Medicare, Medicaid and interest on the debt. From there we'll talk about the very significant economic issues we're facing and how to best deal with those without stirring up the class warfare argument which is just nothing but a bag of lies and deceptions.

None of this was mentioned last night other than saying they would be protected and the usual demagoguing about this matter. There is no greater indication of the profound ignorance of the American people than when it comes to economic issues. And the fact that both parties just play those sides up against one another is nothing short of criminal. Of course, to succeed in such an endeavor, the public itself has to be pretty dumb and we've definitely accomplished that in style. It's so frustrating to watch play out over and over again.
The only difference is the Y axis variables...the Reuters graph is a 20 year comparison where the Y axis doesn't need to go above 14m or below 11m. The one you linked is an 80 year comparison with a much broader Y range. You're essentially doing the same thing by expanding the variables to make it look like the US isn't actually experiencing a 15 year high in manufacturing. The fact is, yes manufacturing is at a 15 year high. Is that solely due to Biden? No, of course not. However, he is POTUS, and as such he gets the credit for it. If the numbers were bad I guarantee you that 99% of this board would be harping on it and not coming up with excuses to explain away the figures.

I thought Biden did a good job of touching on an array of issues in the US and how his administration has addressed them. What you're looking for in a SOTU hasn't really been done in decades; so while it may be what you're looking for, it's not the modus operandi of our leaders currently.

Reactions: fcctiger12
There is no "enough". Did you not hear everything you have to pay for?

Lol that's what I was thinking. I was halfway paying attention, but at one point it seemed like an Oprah giveaway. Who is going to pay for this shit?

And in classic dem spin, he went from "Billionaires only pay 8.2% tax" to "I won't raise taxes on people making less than $400K." What in the ever-loving fvck does a family making half a mil a year have to do with billionaires?

BOOM!! This guy just blew up some lib Looney lies.

Handy #SOTU Fact Check on Biden's Economic Record for His State of the Union Address

WAGES DOWN: "Real" weekly earnings declined 3.4% since Biden took office.

INFLATION: The Consumer Price Index rose 17.6%, which is the worst inflation in decades.

JOB CREATION: "Nearly 72 percent of all job gains since 2021 were simply jobs that were being recovered from the pandemic, not new job creation." (CBO)

JOBS: Labor Force Participation is still down from Trump economy levels as millions dropped out of job force.

GAS PRICES: The national average price of regular gasoline is $3.06. That’s 68 cents higher than before Biden took office, an increase of 29%.

The only difference is the Y axis variables...the Reuters graph is a 20 year comparison where the Y axis doesn't need to go above 14m or below 11m. The one you linked is an 80 year comparison with a much broader Y range. You're essentially doing the same thing by expanding the variables to make it look like the US isn't actually experiencing a 15 year high in manufacturing. The fact is, yes manufacturing is at a 15 year high. Is that solely due to Biden? No, of course not. However, he is POTUS, and as such he gets the credit for it. If the numbers were bad I guarantee you that 99% of this board would be harping on it and not coming up with excuses to explain away the figures.

I thought Biden did a good job of touching on an array of issues in the US and how his administration has addressed them. What you're looking for in a SOTU hasn't really been done in decades; so while it may be what you're looking for, it's not the modus operandi of our leaders currently.

Actually, I think the entire endeavor is idiotic and unnecessary. It's just performative and empty.

The difference between the pre-pandemic numbers and the numbers now is quite low was my point. The graph used in the piece you linked was done in such a way as to make it look like more than it is. Everyone does that. I'm just not a fan of it.

What current leaders do is destroying this country. Some things have value and others don't. Truth and the understanding for us to survive as a nation, we must find some common ground and we must deal with our economic issues. There's no one that was in that room last night who doesn't at least have a cursory understanding of this reality. I'm not interested in fighting over deck chairs on the Titanic. I want to prevent what is currently a very significant decline in our country because of highly partisan and extremely poor leadership.

Lol that's what I was thinking. I was halfway paying attention, but at one point it seemed like an Oprah giveaway. Who is going to pay for this shit?

And in classic dem spin, he went from "Billionaires only pay 8.2% tax" to "I won't raise taxes on people making less than $400K." What in the ever-loving fvck does a family making half a mil a year have to do with billionaires?
Billionaires and anyone above $400K are the 1%. They see no difference. More importantly, they can't pay for all the things they want to give away with just billionaire$. Also, some of the things he mentioned he said would be temporary, but we all know once you start handing out the $$$$ it will not stop.

It was honestly the most massive list of giveaways, I have ever heard from a politician. $400/ month mortgage assistance for homebuyers while also getting rid of mortgage insurance on almost all loans (I am sure that will work out well), universal paid medical leave, universal daycare, etc. Also promised to veto any attempt to reduce SS or raise the retirement age. Those are just the highlight I remember and I just had the closed caption on and was not listening, lol. Get ready for the largest tax hike in decades. It's coming.

This is rich coming from the party that remade their image around Donald Trump. The GOP doesn’t ever get to try and take the high road about decorum anymore.
I wasn't defending Trump. He is a terrible person, and I readily admit has even less decorum than Biden. My point was that it was hypocritical to point out a hat, when other dems in the audience were wearing them and the potus was attacking the scotus.
Believe it or not, you can not like Trump, and still not like Biden/democrats.

I wasn't defending Trump. He is a terrible person, and I readily admit has even less decorum than Biden. My point was that it was hypocritical to point out a hat, when other dems in the audience were wearing them and the potus was attacking the scotus.
Believe it or not, you can not like Trump, and still not like Biden/democrats.
I wasn't claiming you did, and it was probably unfairly directed at you given the amount of comments I heard last night from acquaintances on this very topic. It was more a comment that the GOP crying decorum now kind of falls on deaf ears given what they've normalized the last 8 years.

Unfortunately, I didn't get to watch the SOTU speech as we had maintenance. I'm probably not going to either. Just looking at the usual suspects on here and in the media, I see exactly what I expect. The Right doesn't like the speech and says it's terrible. The Left thinks that the speech was great and loved it. Who would have guessed? Just from the blurbs from both sides... it seems about par for the course among STOTU speeches.

Reactions: TigerGrowls
Unfortunately, I didn't get to watch the SOTU speech as we had maintenance. I'm probably not going to either. Just looking at the usual suspects on here and in the media, I see exactly what I expect. The Right doesn't like the speech and says it's terrible. The Left thinks that the speech was great and loved it. Who would have guessed? Just from the blurbs from both sides... it seems about par for the course among STOTU speeches.
Eh … the majority of Biden’s speech was more of a “campaign” speech, going on the attack and attacking Trump. Very little of it was a “State” of the Union and what little of it there was it was typical Modern Democrat talking points …

It was pretty embarrassing all around, and I include the Republican reactions in that.

Eh … the majority of Biden’s speech was more of a “campaign” speech, going on the attack and attacking Trump. Very little of it was a “State” of the Union and what little of it there was it was typical Modern Democrat talking points …

It was pretty embarrassing all around, and I include the Republican reactions in that.
Completely agree. That was a complete embarrassment on both sides of the aisle! They all looked like a bunch of spoiled brats in that room!
Complete disorder and no reverence on how that night/speech should be!

blah, blah, blah...
seinfeld-fighting.gif

• Haha
The idea of anyone whining about something being too partisan while supporting a candidate who among his many other terrible and criminal attributes actually had the Republican convention on WH grounds which is not supposed to happen is rich. Literally every thing Trump does is either partisan or nepobaby failure such as installing his damn daughter in law as co-chair of the RNC which again...has never been done before people. Meanwhile the most vocal person in the same party shows up to the damn SOTU wearing a MAGA clown outfit while heckling the leader of the free world.

There's no other venue in the world where a redneck piece of trash like MTG would be allowed to run her mouth to authority figures, but ever since the idiot from SC yelled at Obama the Rs have just flushed any notion of decorum and now white trash whores like MTG and Boebert get free passes for disrupting grown men affairs for all the world to see.

Stop crying about decorum and making false equivalencies when you're supporting the R clown show led by a guy who paints himself orange every morning and does IG filters like a 12 year old of the SOTU address on his failing social media platform.

My favorite was the “we are safer now then when he took office”! Just how the F does he figure that one??
He lies through his teeth and the media supports him

The idea of anyone whining about something being too partisan while supporting a candidate who among his many other terrible and criminal attributes actually had the Republican convention on WH grounds which is not supposed to happen is rich. Literally every thing Trump does is either partisan or nepobaby failure such as installing his damn daughter in law as co-chair of the RNC which again...has never been done before people. Meanwhile the most vocal person in the same party shows up to the damn SOTU wearing a MAGA clown outfit while heckling the leader of the free world.

There's no other venue in the world where a redneck piece of trash like MTG would be allowed to run her mouth to authority figures, but ever since the idiot from SC yelled at Obama the Rs have just flushed any notion of decorum and now white trash whores like MTG and Boebert get free passes for disrupting grown men affairs for all the world to see.

Stop crying about decorum and making false equivalencies when you're supporting the R clown show led by a guy who paints himself orange every morning and does IG filters like a 12 year old of the SOTU address on his failing social media platform.
Looks like you are the one whining. I guess you were ok with Pelosi ripping up Trump’s speech.

My favorite was the “we are safer now then when he took office”! Just how the F does he figure that one??
He lies through his teeth and the media supports him

I think most Americans would agree that they feel safer today than they did in 2020, trump's last year in office.

Of course, if you watch fox news every night I am guessing that you feel less safe.

Looks like you are the one whining. I guess you were ok with Pelosi ripping up Trump’s speech.
yes i am totally fine with someone ripping up a sheet of paper after the speech is over.

as i said...stop with the false equivalencies. there is nothing similar between pelosi ripping up some paper after Trump was done talking and the Jewish space laser lady from the most ignorant backwoods part of GA howling like a banshee while the leader of the free world is speaking.

shouldn't be hard to tell the difference between someone interrupting a speech and someone tearing up a sheet of paper after the address was over.

yes i am totally fine with someone ripping up a sheet of paper after the speech is over.

as i said...stop with the false equivalencies. there is nothing similar between pelosi ripping up some paper after Trump was done talking and the Jewish space laser lady from the most ignorant backwoods part of GA howling like a banshee while the leader of the free world is speaking.

shouldn't be hard to tell the difference between someone interrupting a speech and someone tearing up a sheet of paper after the address was over.
You're only saying because old Nancy has a D by her name.

You're only saying because old Nancy has a D by her name.
Do you honestly not understand the difference between someone sitting silently for an entire speech and then tearing a sheet of paper and someone interrupting a speech by screaming at the top of her lungs?

Why don't you do both the next time you go to church or to a movie or some other event and let me know how things go for you.

Seriously, don't be stupid with this stuff.

Reactions: nytigerfan
Do you honestly not understand the difference between someone sitting silently for an entire speech and then tearing a sheet of paper and someone interrupting a speech by screaming at the top of her lungs?

Why don't you do both the next time you go to church or to a movie or some other event and let me know how things go for you.

Seriously, don't be stupid with this stuff.
Old Nancy had her sarcastic clap, her stupid faces behind his back and the ripping of the paper. Spare me you BS.

Old Nancy had her sarcastic clap, her stupid faces behind his back and the ripping of the paper. Spare me you BS.
lol every opposition speaker has the stupid faces. Did you watch McCarthy constantly shaking his head (i at least give him credit for shushing MTG's dumbass) and weird nerd Johnson making his faces last night?

Don't be an idiot and act like screaming during a speech is the same thing as any of that stuff. Have some pride and some shame.

Reactions: nytigerfan
I wonder why the Gold Star dad got arrested for pretty much the same thing and MTG did not ?

Because he was not doing so as a member of Congress, whereas MTG was. Members of the public are not allowed to disrupt sessions of Congress. There was a father of one of the Parkland shooting victims who similarly got arrested for interrupting a Trump SOTU a few years ago.

Prefer people having decorum and civility.

Hollering stuff out loud does not fit my definition of decorum

Actually Biden sounded like a motivational style speaker like a football coach or Joel Olsteen

Wooha

But to the point as much as I disagree with him on policy and despise his criminal conduct all of us should be silent as he talked

The Gold Star Parent and Laken Riley issues I can actually say I am sympathetic but the second wrong will never be an answer to solving problems

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT