ADVERTISEMENT

****Tillman Hall

Good. Typically against erasing history because it is uncomfortable, but Tillman was a piece of shit.

When you make statements that african-americans are "so near akin to the monkey that scientists are yet looking for the missing link", you are a piece of shit. And referred to African's as a "ignorant and debased and debauched race". Also, "I have three daughters, but, so help me God, I had rather find either one of them killed by a tiger or a bear [and die a virgin] than to have her crawl to me and tell me the horrid story that she had been robbed of the jewel of her womanhood by a black fiend."

Wow. Tell me you made that quote up.

Hallelujah. Clemson should have done this after the shootings at the AME church in Charleston, which led to the Rebel flag being removed from the state Capitol. But better late than never.

Sometimes we go one foot forward and two steps back but eventually we move toward justice for all. Yes, it takes too long and hurts many in the process but such is the human experience.

Congratulations to not only the BOT but also those people who have been advocating for such changes for a long time.

Very good move by the BOT. On the flip side, I understand the carvings of Confederate generals on the side of Stone Mountain in Atlanta will be removed by the end of the year. While I have no issue and even support removing the confederate flag from government facilities, I think the dismantling of historical monuments is tragic and more representative of terrorist groups like ISIS. So many seem to be hung up on any and all reference to the Confederacy as constituting slavery and racism when, in fact, the War Between the States was started over economic trade restrictions placed upon the Southern States by the Union. Slavery did not even factor into the equation until two years into the fighting when President Lincoln, a shrewd Republican politician, recognized that declaring the emancipation of slaves would cause potential chaos in the South, to the military advantage of the Union. Sadly, the war is almost exclusively attributed to slavery now, especially by those less knowledgeable living outside the South. I for one had ancestors who fought for the Confederacy, none of whom owned slaves. I suspect that the vast majority of Confederate soldiers owned no slaves and were fighting instead to protect their homes and freedoms. I will forever be ashamed and detest the idea of slavery or racism of any kind. I have great friends two beautiful God children that are black that I love dearly. However, I will always chose to honor my ancestors who risked there lives, were seriously wounded, captured and survived horrible northern prisons for the land they loved.

I understand your sentiment and in my younger days have actually argued similarly.
I would challenge you to take 30 minutes and read the articles of secession, that stated reason for seceeding from the union, and then tell me if you feel the same.
It changed my view.
Ill even link it for ease of access:
https://www.atlantahistorycenter.com/assets/documents/SCarolina-Secession-p1-13.pdf

I am "ashamed" to say that, as a Clemson Grad, i knew very little about Ben Tillman. A few moments ago, i read his biography/history on the Clemson U website. I would encourage everyone who is interested to read it.

Tillman is this tragically flawed and broken man who accomplished incredible things for farmers/agriculture in SC and higher education in SC. I did not know his hatred for USC spawns from their lack of interest and effort for agriculture in SC. That he was instrumental in establishing Winthrop and Clemson and surprisingly, SC State University. He pressed the state as well as the entire US to promote and protect farmers.

Yet, his hatred for African Americans was vicious. He showed flashes of compassion toward them - his good friend/former slave/tenant farmer Joe Gibson and his wife Kitty and the establishment of SC State - but make no mistake, he opposed almost every kind of equality for them. It is sad and sick that a man of his intellect and influence harbored such hatred toward other human beings.

Clemson's existence is partially due to Tillman but his racism requires a distancing of anything that honors him apart from being one-fourth of the "team" that founded Clemson.

https://www.clemson.edu/about/history/bios/ben-tillman.html

Last edited:
To add to this, the BOT made it clear that this is the lone exception they are requesting from the Heritage Act.

I’ve always thought the Heritage Act was a bit excessive. Why should a state be able to tell a city or an institution what they can or can’t name something?

Good change, hope it’s approved.

This is a positive step forward for Clemson University.

On a side note, does anyone know if Winthrop plans to change the name of their Tillman Hall? I’m sure they will but I don’t know anyone close to Winthrop.

I was coming in to say this. Various other documents prove this as well. But people continue to die on that lie that can be easily proven to be a lie. It's weird.

These words spoken by the Vice President of the Confederate States spell out exactly what the Confederate playbook was. Lots of people just refuse to accept the word of the Confederate leadership for reasons to wage a Civil War. Denial.

It's a big change, but it makes a lot of sense at this point. Changing the Calhoun stuff might meet a little more resistance*.

*Well, obviously I was behind the times.

Last edited:
BOT has requested that the state's General Assembly give authority to Clemson to restore the name "Old Main."

Some truly moving words and testimony from trustee Bob Peeler.

This is truly amazing. Tremendous leadership by the BOT. This is 100% the right move and while I know this is “just the name of a building,” this is a historic moment.

Reactions: tlynes
I am "ashamed" to say that, as a Clemson Grad, i knew very little about Ben Tillman. A few moments ago, i read his biography/history on the Clemson U website. I would encourage everyone who is interested to read it.

Tillman is this tragically flawed and broken man who accomplished incredible things for farmers/agriculture in SC and higher education in SC. I did not know his hatred for USC spawns from their lack of interest and effort for agriculture in SC. That he was instrumental in establishing Winthrop and Clemson and surprisingly, SC State University. He pressed the state as well as the entire US to promote and protect farmers.

Yet, his hatred for African Americans was vicious. He showed flashes of compassion toward them - his good friend/former slave/tenant farmer Joe Gibson and his wife Kitty and the establishment of SC State - but make no mistake, he opposed almost every kind of equality for them. It is sad and sick that a man of his intellect and influence harbored such hatred toward other human beings.

Clemson's existence is partially due to Tillman but his racism requires a distancing of anything that honors him apart from being on-fourth of the "team" that founded Clemson.

https://www.clemson.edu/about/history/bios/ben-tillman.html

I am generally neutral on these things but I have always been opposed to naming anything after politicians. It just sets a bad precedent. That isn't to say a politician can't be a significant leader but the whole "I got you funding so name X after me" is something I dislike.

We live in a world today where we are trying to bring everyone under one tent. We can recognize the historical contributions of people without honoring them by naming things after them. There's a real opportunity now to do some good things and hopefully make some progress in this country. This step won't change things but it can help set a tone that we are together in this pursuit to have an equal opportunity in every way possible for every person possible. It doesn't deal with any of the tough questions but at some point, people are going to have to look in the mirror on both sides and see the necessary changes. For now, this is the right thing to do and I applaud the BOT for the steps they are taking. The South has so many rich and wonderful things about it. We should always put our best foot forward. I think this is a step in that direction.

Any hint of one other debate has now ended------Clemson is a football school. We love us some football and the men who play it. Friday night should now be a celebration. Go Tigers.

Can we rename it Cocky Curse Hall? He did do that for us.

Maybe they might rename it Malcom X Hall. Isn't he of good reputation?

:confused:

What was it called before "Old Main"? Surely it wasn't ALWAYS called that.
Actually they want to return the name to the Main Building according to the press release from Clemson. The “Old” was never a part of the official name of the building.

This is a positive step forward for Clemson University.

On a side note, does anyone know if Winthrop plans to change the name of their Tillman Hall? I’m sure they will but I don’t know anyone close to Winthrop.

Winthrop students had tried to change their Tillman back in 2014 but were blocked by state law..

I’ve always thought the Heritage Act was a bit excessive. Why should a state be able to tell a city or an institution what they can or can’t name something?

Good change, hope it’s approved.
The Heritage Act desperately needs to be repealed. It’s a spit in the face to democracy. If you agree, head over here to sign the petition: http://chng.it/ChdQFFgMxQ

WOW!!!!!!!!!

This is great! True leadership by the BOT!

I am happy they did, but don't forget this same board hired a big time PR firm to help them draft a letter keeping the Tillman name. It was an open letter to everyone as I recall. But glad they came around in the end.

Reactions: GoodWord28
Young Main was the original name before it got old

HAHAHAHA!

But that kinda gets to my point - did it have a name before "Old Main" which was almost certainly a nickname? Would be kinda strange to have at the opening "So we officially dedicate this brand new building named Old Main...."

"How old is it?"

"About 2 days....."

Except they are older than he is/was.

But whatever. I'm certainly not against the renaming.

I was kinda being funny. I view it as being linked to Clemson (at the time) and a family name. None of us pick our own names.

Actually they want to return the name to the Main Building according to the press release from Clemson. The “Old” was never a part of the official name of the building.

I like "Old Main" better. "The Main Building" is kinda generic.

But if you name it after someone, there is a risk that eventually you'll be doing it again in another 50 years. Not trying to downplay Ben Tillman's sins by any means but today's cancel culture goes well beyond that and blows up anything anyone does wrong, regardless of how trivial.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT