ADVERTISEMENT

Walz it is

Interested to hear the dems thoughts on this pick. Most reasonable dem posters on this board were hoping for more centrist candidates like Shapiro or Kelly to moderate the ticket.

MN also wasn’t a contested state, so not sure how this helps strategically.

Seems like about the best possible outcome for the Republicans.

Interested to hear the dems thoughts on this pick. Most reasonable dem posters on this board were hoping for more centrist candidates like Shapiro or Kelly to moderate the ticket.

MN also wasn’t a contested state, so not sure how this helps strategically.

Seems like about the best possible outcome for the Republicans.

Seems odd. I was personally hoping for Shapiro or Kelly. We will have to see how it shakes out.

Seems odd. I was personally hoping for Shapiro or Kelly. We will have to see how it shakes out.

Some stuff I'm reading is that there is hope he can help in Michigan,Wisconsin,and Pennsylvania. I would assume the thought was that he could help with Penn so Shapiro was less needed? He also has more experience than Shapiro?

Would have been fine with Walz or Shapiro. Walz has already built a lot of momentum attacking Vance and giving the "these guys are weird" angle that has caused the Rs to melt down repeatedly. Walz will appeal to older white voters that Harris needs to fortify midwestern swing states. They must feel confident they can pull in PA without Shapiro on the ticket, and I would expect Shapiro will still be stumping for the ticket in that state where his favorable ratings should help.

Walz is the anti-Vance. A former teacher and football coach who's a lifetime gun owner and served 24 years in the national guard. He's a real small town person with Americana roots. Also a great communicator.

Would have been fine with Walz or Shapiro. Walz has already built a lot of momentum attacking Vance and giving the "these guys are weird" angle that has caused the Rs to melt down repeatedly. Walz will appeal to older white voters that Harris needs to fortify midwestern swing states. They must feel confident they can pull in PA without Shapiro on the ticket, and I would expect Shapiro will still be stumping for the ticket in that state where his favorable ratings should help.

Walz is the anti-Vance. A former teacher and football coach who's a lifetime gun owner and served 24 years in the national guard. He's a real small town person with Americana roots. Also a great communicator.

I admit I'm not very familiar with him, but what I'm reading does seem to be good. I honestly really like her choosing someone who is a Governor and has some experience running a state. He seems to align pretty closely to me on most topics.

I think the real strength he brings is his story of their oldest child having been born due to IVF. That should play quite well against the anti-abortion including IVF stance some of the most conservative states are pressing.

Walz watched Minnesota burn and didn’t nothing for days, calling it peaceful demonstrations.
He is extremely Liberal:
Extremist on Abortion
Gun Restrictions
Pro Transgender

Again, he’s a great pick for Republicans!

Walz watched Minnesota burn and didn’t nothing for days, calling it peaceful demonstrations.
He is extremely Liberal:
Extremist on Abortion
Gun Restrictions
Pro Transgender

VP picks don't really move the needle either way unless you pick an outright disaster like Vance. I guarantee you nobody will be digging up old podcasts where Walz is talking about assembling a federal force to keep track of women's ovulatory calendars, and Walz won't put his foot in his mouth repeatedly talking about childless cat ladies.

The idea that this former football coach and avid hunter from a small town in rural Minnesota is some kind of super lefty is hilarious. Walz will play a hell of a lot better in rural swing states than Vance, that much is clear.

He is extremely Liberal:
Extremist on Abortion
Gun Restrictions
Pro Transgender

What is he extremist about abortion?
He is a gun owner and long time hunter and has enacted some common sense gun laws that most Americans are in favor of.

I don't think that plays as well as youight think it will across the US.

Reactions: flotiger and dpic73
This pick will overjoy the GOP. He's a very liberal man and really did a horrendous job leading his state after the George Floyd situation. Of course, he's perfect for the left in Minnesota but that's about it. Harris is going left which is who she is to begin with. I don't get too excited about VP picks but this was a bad one for her.

Reactions: tadgos
What is he extremist about abortion?
He is a gun owner and long time hunter and has enacted some common sense gun laws that most Americans are in favor of.

I don't think that plays as well as youight think it will across the US.
It's wild that Republicans still haven't figured out since the last couple cycles that most Americans hate their stance on abortion. Most Americans are overwhelmingly pro-choice, and that's a big reason the supposed Red Wave turned into the Red Wedding for them.

Common sense gun reform is also a majority opinion position. Hardcore Rs are so out of touch with these issues that it's comical.

We'll see. I think his folksy, down to earth charm will appeal to a wide swath of people and the people who matter won't care about George Floyd propaganda. I didn't know much about him a month ago but in viral clips over the last few weeks, he's put on a clinic when discussing liberal ideas and why they are good for the country. He's a great speaker and and every man type so it might turn out well, TBD. I preferred Shapiro but I'm not at all unhappy about the pick.

VP picks don't really move the needle either way unless you pick an outright disaster like Vance. I guarantee you nobody will be digging up old podcasts where Walz is talking about assembling a federal force to keep track of women's ovulatory calendars, and Walz won't put his foot in his mouth repeatedly talking about childless cat ladies.

The idea that this former football coach and avid hunter from a small town in rural Minnesota is some kind of super lefty is hilarious. Walz will play a hell of a lot better in rural swing states than Vance, that much is clear.
Man stick to videos! This is one of the most ignorant post I’ve seen and that’s saying a lot from you and your friends on this site!

He's not evil at all. He is just a leftist with more authoritarian views in terms of the role of government. He is well within the norms of the Democrats right now. He's a VP pick. As John Adams said, the VP office is "the most insignificant office that ever the invention of man contrived, or his imagination conceived."

Man stick to videos! This is one of the most ignorant post I’ve seen and that’s saying a lot from you and your friends on this site!
You shouldn't be telling smart people what they should be doing just because you don't agree with them. He's earned the right to do and say whatever he wants on this board and he expresses himself a lot better than you do. Sit down

Interesting to me that both parties went for the more ideologically aligned choice than the "centrist" option.

I see a few potential reasons why this was the choice for the Dems:

1) Shapiro has aspirations for 2028 and would prefer to avoid the goodwill deterioration from a loss to Trump/Vance
2) Democrats were too afraid to disturb the base with a Jewish VP candidate
3) I think it would be destabilizing to the Harris admin to have an obviously more competent VP

I imagine it was more the second than the others, which is pretty startling. You'd be hard pressed to look at 2018 Minnesota and 2024 Minnesota and ask for that transformation to be duplicated elsewhere.

This is an example of why big government never works. The state had good intentions with this program but they were incapable of monitoring it the way they should have and this is what happens. Walz is not a great manager. There are a number of these types of things where big ideas turn into big abuses under really poor oversight because government just isn't built to do all these things.

You shouldn't be telling smart people what they should be doing just because you don't agree with them. He's earned the right to do and say whatever he wants on this board and he expresses himself a lot better than you do. Sit down
Thanks…maybe one day I can earn the right to speak 😂

It's wild that Republicans still haven't figured out since the last couple cycles that most Americans hate their stance on abortion. Most Americans are overwhelmingly pro-choice, and that's a big reason the supposed Red Wave turned into the Red Wedding for them.

Common sense gun reform is also a majority opinion position. Hardcore Rs are so out of touch with these issues that it's comical.

Agreed.

Reactions: yoshi121374

I am still getting up to speed on VP nominee
But the more I read/listen, the more there is to like. Walz served the country proudly in National Guard, was a beloved educator and football coach. Under his leadership, Minnesota is ranked 6th best state in nation for business. MN is home to 17 Fortune 500 companies, including Target, General Mills, 3M, United Health. For deeper dive, I would recommend his podcast appearances with
@ezraklein and @PodSaveAmerica
I understand why the Democrats chose him.

Very excited about this pick. He's the guy I wanted from the start.
-20+ years in the national guard as an enlisted man
-Decades as a public school teacher
-High school football coach (0-27 to state champs in 3 years)
-Went to two small state schools
-Highest ranking member of the Veterans Affairs committee in the House
-In the 90s in rural Minnesota he was the faculty sponsor for the HS gay-straight alliance (I have extended family members who are gay so this is important to me)
-Is a hunter, had an A+ NRA rating until he started pushing for common sense gun reform (background checks, red flag laws)
-Great communicator, knows how to explain his policies for normal folks

His stated goal as governor was to make Minnesota the best state to raise a family. That is very important to me. With a 1 seat legislative majority he signed into law:
-Weed legalization
-Expunged weed records (not sure about this one)
-Expanded the Child Tax Credit
-Free breakfasts and lunches for all school kids (cheaper than means testing and makes utilitarian sense)
-No school book bans
-No taxes on SS for seniors
-Workplace protections
-Paid family leave
-Paid sick leave
-Lowered the price of insulin
-Lowered RX drug costs
-Banned junk fees
-Banned conversion therapy
-First time regulation of assisted-living centers to prevent elder abuse
-New police training center (law and order types should like that)

Interesting to me that both parties went for the more ideologically aligned choice than the "centrist" option.

I see a few potential reasons why this was the choice for the Dems:

1) Shapiro has aspirations for 2028 and would prefer to avoid the goodwill deterioration from a loss to Trump/Vance
2) Democrats were too afraid to disturb the base with a Jewish VP candidate
3) I think it would be destabilizing to the Harris admin to have an obviously more competent VP

I imagine it was more the second than the others, which is pretty startling. You'd be hard pressed to look at 2018 Minnesota and 2024 Minnesota and ask for that transformation to be duplicated elsewhere.
Point 1 is definitely accurate. Report out this morning that Shapiro clearly wants to become president and that unsettled the Harris camp. Point 2 isn't the issue (Bernie's popularity on the left and Kamala's husband is Jewish), the issue was him being racist against Arabs in a college letter and claiming he served with the IDF.

Some stuff I'm reading is that there is hope he can help in Michigan,Wisconsin,and Pennsylvania. I would assume the thought was that he could help with Penn so Shapiro was less needed? He also has more experience than Shapiro?
Shapiro has a lot of baggage (such as the murder he helped cover up) and he also clearly wants to be president. He would also hurt with the Arab American vote in Michigan. Walz doesn't hurt you in Pennsylvania and helps you across the Midwest. He also has way more experience than Shapiro

Shapiro has a lot of baggage (such as the murder he helped cover up) and he also clearly wants to be president. He would also hurt with the Arab American vote in Michigan. Walz doesn't hurt you in Pennsylvania and helps you across the Midwest. He also has way more experience than Shapiro

Disagree there. Both Walz and Harris are on the record for wanting to ban fracking. Whatever people may feel about that it's a big thing in Pennsylvania. Their postures in that area will hurt that ticket there. They are going for a base turnout election victory here.

Disagree there. Both Walz and Harris are on the record for wanting to ban fracking. Whatever people may feel about that it's a big thing in Pennsylvania. Their postures in that area will hurt that ticket there. They are going for a base turnout election victory here.
That no longer applies

• Haha
Reactions: Orange&Purple
That no longer applies

It absolutely applies. She's saying what will get her in office but she's anti-fracking. She always has been. She will be if she's president. If people in Pennsylvania fall for that, they're idiots. Politicians lie. All of them do it and they'll say anything to win.

Supported BLM, Covid fraud, military fraud…bailed on his unit when they were about to be deployed to Iraq and ran for Congress, blow a 18 billion dollar surplus Minnesota had, supports sex change for minors.

He’s great for Republicans!!
Pfft, have you seen Donald's shit list? This dude is a saint comparatively speaking. Next!

Exactly what Trump is doing with Vance too

Exactly what Trump is doing with Vance too

Vance is a big government Republican. I don't really see him as bolstering with people like me. He's not who I wanted at all. But then, I don't want Trump either. I find all of this to be utterly ridiculous.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT