ADVERTISEMENT

********** WEDNESDAY UPDATE **********

No he shouldn’t.
Apparently, everyone was fine with how the situation worked out three years ago which really brings into Greenlee’s account today. Stories tend to be exaggerated over time...I have a feeling this one is too.

i don't know where i stand on Pearman, primarily b/c i don't feel like i know the complete truth. Not saying anyone has lied, but there is enough of an uneasy feeling in my stomach that i want to get more facts before forming my opinion. I don't think it is an automatic that he should be fire for uttering the word depending on the context etc.

However, to automatically assume that everyone was OK with how it was resolved is not only an assumption but really just being naive. DJ was bothered enough to approach Jeff Davis and Woody McCorvey. As instructed he went to Dabo. Pearman had already apologized by this point, maybe even multiple times and DJ was still not OK with it, enough to purse it.

It seems that Dabo is trying to confirm whether DJ’s new account of the interaction is the accurate one. Only Dabo and DJ know what his account was in that meeting 3 years ago. If it differs Dabo has a real pickle because he acted based on what he was told then. DJ’s current recollection is creating the impression of Pearman possibly lying to Dabo. If that is true, Pearman should lose his job.

Seems to me that Greenlee ‘s ability to remember the facts would have been most accurate 3 years ago. If Pearman’s story is the same then why is it assumed he is lying.

First of all, you can leave your profanity at the door. Secondly, I figured if our Tillman Hall names after Ben Tillman was a great big issue then Winthrop’s Tillman Hall named after Ben Tillman would equally be under the microscope

The two schools aren't equal so it makes for a shitty comparison.

One thing about the strategy is I absolutely would not hold any press conference in the short term. This story is not blowing up because there is no video, no visuals. It’s starving in that regard and that’s a good thing for Clemson - there is very little content to socialize. At some point Dabo probably has to go on camera but it should After an action is taken, should be one forum, one time, and then be done with it. If There is an action taken, Dabo does one good interview and sticks the landing, this gets over.

i don't know where i stand on Pearman, primarily b/c i don't feel like i know the complete truth. Not saying anyone has lied, but there is enough of an uneasy feeling in my stomach that i want to get more facts before forming my opinion. I don't think it is an automatic that he should be fire for uttering the word depending on the context etc.

However, to automatically assume that everyone was OK with how it was resolved is not only an assumption but really just being naive. DJ was bothered enough to approach Jeff Davis and Woody McCorvey. As instructed he went to Dabo. Pearman had already apologized by this point, maybe even multiple times and DJ was still not OK with it, enough to purse it.
Then DJ needs to grow the hell up...

Don’t glorify the usage of a word & then become a sensitive sally when someone says it...grow a set!

And he should ashamed anyway, along with Tuttle...these guys were given opportunities the vast majority of people did not think they deserved (particularly Greenlee) yet they wanna throw someone under the bus for a situation years after it’s been settled...I guess it’s the times we live in...

I took his initial statement to mean: "I used the n-word while telling him not to use the n-word."

Greenlee's clarified account indicates it was well more than that.
How do people not understand this?? Are you guys even reading DJ's full account of what happened? Pearman's statement clearly paints a picture of him overhearing it and telling DJ "Hey, don't use that word!"

DJ's fuller account clearly makes it sound like Pearman repeated the word 3 times, saw the look on DJ's face and realized what he had done, then quickly tried to backtrack and cover for himself...turning it into a "you shouldn't use that word" type of lesson. DJ makes it pretty clear that was not Pearman's intent from the start of the conversation, and he only turned to that after he realized what he had said out loud. That is very very very different than "Hey, don't use that word!"

This isn't good at all, but the fact that DJ was that bothered by it and went to the administrators. Dabo should have addressed the team about it back then. This is a lose - lose situation all the way around, and probably isn't going to go away.

Pearman needs to resign, no way he can continue recruiting moving forward.

Greenlee said he was eventually able to accept Pearman’s apology.

“From there on forward, coach Pearman apologized, yeah. The whole team, everybody knew this. I was that one guy that was like, ‘Well, I see what I’m dealing with.’ I just handled it and said I’ll go on. I’m not going to hold a grudge on nobody. It is what it is. He said it. He apologized. But it still didn’t do the justice for him saying it.

Yeah, that sounds like he's over it.

It sounds to me like he accepted it because it was the best he was going to get. "It still didn't do the justice for him saying it." That's a begrudging acceptance.

--Mr. DT
Correct. DJ was pretty clearly upset for quite some time about the whole situation. Which further cements my belief that Pearman didn't simply say "Don't use that word!" He started down a path, realized what he had done/said, and tried to backtrack to save himself. It obviously rattled DJ pretty good (and understandably so).

It's also a pretty sad indictment on the world we have created when a young black man feels that he has no choice but to begrudgingly accept something like this and move on, despite how it made him actually feel at the time...

Again, I am not using profanity with you and I would appreciate the same.
But the issue isn’t about schools is it? Isn’t it the association of the namesake and what that person did. Should it matter what school it is? Isn’t the argument the same?

Yes, Winthrop has also had protests and discussions about it: https://amp.heraldonline.com/news/local/article104801971.html

But it is irrelevant because even if they don't do anything about it we could. And I think should. It's not even the original name of the building.

It's as simple as, is having Danny Pearman on the staff good for Clemson football? Nothing more or nothing less.

The answer is obvious
Don’t disagree, but Dabo does not cultivate a program of racism and exclusion. The witch-hunt going on right now does nothing to drive unity, and my statement was in respects to that.

Danny needs to go and has needed to go for YEARS, but the way his name is being skewered along with Dabo’s over this just doesn’t sit well with me, and it has nothing to do with me being white. Humanity has to have a part in our interaction, and social media has stripped us of that. Accountability has to exist.

Correct. DJ was pretty clearly upset for quite some time about the whole situation. Which further cements my belief that Pearman didn't simply say "Don't use that word!" He started down a path, realized what he had done/said, and tried to backtrack to save himself. It obviously rattled DJ pretty good (and understandably so).

It's also a pretty sad indictment on the world we have created when a young black man feels that he has no choice but to begrudgingly accept something like this and move on, despite how it made him actually feel at the time...
I doubt he was made to feel this way considering his dad had to know. He is just salty, and rightfully so. But he should've come after him then. Not now that's its public knowledge.

...turning it into a "you shouldn't use that word" type of lesson. DJ makes it pretty clear that was not Pearman's intent from the start of the conversation, and he only turned to that after he realized what he had said out loud. That is very very very different than "Hey, don't use that word!"

I don't think that the article makes it "pretty clear" that was going on. I think it is definitely a possibility and was left open to interpretation.

It seems racist to me that a race has words it can say, but other races can't. For the record, the word sickens me, and I don't allow it to be used by any in our program, but for anyone to suggest that DP is a racist because of this incident is nuts. In saying that, it isn't going away and I am afraid he may have to go.

The way I read DJ's account, Pearman jumped his case for missing an assignment. Then when Milan Richard asked DJ what Pearman was on him about, DJ answered defending his actions during the play telling Richard "he had his guy covered". Only he used the n-word in reference to his guy to cover. Evidently he made that statement loud enough that Pearman overheard him, and came over still angry about the play. Sounds like to me that Pearman mocked DJ's use of the n-word while letting him know he missed his assignment because the guy for him to block wasn't in the gap DJ filled. Hence the statement, "the n-word wasn't there". That's how I read DJ's explanation. I'm starting to think that Dabo didn't get that story when it happened, and Pearman doesn't apologize over and over back then if he just "asked him not to use the word".

This is just how I read DJ's explanation.

I don't think that the article makes it "pretty clear" that was going on. I think it is definitely a possibility and was left open to interpretation.

“Not even a second after I turned around, coach Pearman was walking over to us, and he was like, ‘the (n-word) this, the (n-word) that, the (n-word) wasn’t there. I was just like, ‘whoa … what did you just say?’ He realized what he said, and he just went straight to trying to say he was showing me what it sounded like when I was using that word.”

so how would you interpret that quote?

Reactions: ddot7
Then DJ needs to grow the hell up...

Don’t glorify the usage of a word & then become a sensitive sally when someone says it...grow a set!

And he should ashamed anyway, along with Tuttle...these guys were given opportunities the vast majority of people did not think they deserved (particularly Greenlee) yet they wanna throw someone under the bus for a situation years after it’s been settled...I guess it’s the times we live in...
Spoken like someone with the handle Jimbob and a Trump avatar

Pearmans gotta go. I know none of us want to admit it, but this has the potential to end Dabo's career at Clemson if not handled appropriately.

The damage has been done. If Pearman resigns or is fired, it will be seen as Dabo trying to save his ass by throwing a friend under the bus because something they tried to cover up came out.

IMHO, the best thing would be for Dabo to come out and defend his decision. I would mention that Pearman has no history of this type of behavior nor has it happened since. I would mention that Pearman didn't use the word with malicious intent. I would mention that Pearman apologized to DJ and the position group almost immediately, and continued to apologized to DJ multiple times afterward. I would mention something about redemption and forgiveness, which is what Dabo is all about.

Critics are going to crucify Dabo no matter what he does. I would hope Dabo sticks to his principle and belief and not cave in to public pressure.

WEDNESDAY UPDATE

-- It is worth noting that Swinney expressly forbids use of the n-word on Clemson's practice fields and inside the football offices.

I wanted to highlight this and applaud it as a black man, father and former coach. With that said and hindsight Coach Swinney should of sent a stronger message to Coach Pearman with a suspension, Greenlee running rest of practice and express this policy to the team after the fact and remind them the next day of Clemson's culture.

“Not even a second after I turned around, coach Pearman was walking over to us, and he was like, ‘the (n-word) this, the (n-word) that, the (n-word) wasn’t there. I was just like, ‘whoa … what did you just say?’ He realized what he said, and he just went straight to trying to say he was showing me what it sounded like when I was using that word.”

so how would you interpret that quote?

so ask yourself what was Pearman purpose? Was it to hear himself say it? Was it to point out that DJ didn't make the block? Maybe it was to make a point about the word itself. He said at the beginning of the article that the coach was using it to make a point about how he shouldn't be saying the word. So is that true or not?

If DJ 100% believed that Pearman's intent was something else, why wouldn't he have said that.

All this speculation is BS!!! DABO needs to handle this and handle it swiftly. Unless there has a lot of sneaky moving parts to this situation, there is only one way to handle this and that's giving Pearman the option of how he wants to leave. Its Dabos fault as far as how it was handled and he needs to be dependable, reliable, and accountable! BYOG!!!

It seems that Dabo is trying to confirm whether DJ’s new account of the interaction is the accurate one. Only Dabo and DJ know what his account was in that meeting 3 years ago. If it differs Dabo has a real pickle because he acted based on what he was told then. DJ’s current recollection is creating the impression of Pearman possibly lying to Dabo. If that is true, Pearman should lose his job.

If this turns out to be true, I agree, he would have to resign or be let go.

I hate that it’s 2020 and we still have people that defend and justify a white person saying this in ANY context. And yes I’m white.

there is a clear difference between defending a white persons right to say it (which is almost no one in the threads i have seen) and saying the only proper outcome is the man to lose his career no matter the context, nuisance, etc. Does context and words matter at all?

Chris Rock once said there are no bad word, just bad thoughts. I don't really agree with it specifically but i think the sentiment is mostly true.

No he shouldn’t.
Apparently, everyone was fine with how the situation worked out three years ago which really brings into Greenlee’s account today. Stories tend to be exaggerated over time...I have a feeling this one is too.
Everyone was apparently not based on former players quoted and tweets.

so ask yourself what was Pearman purpose? Was it to hear himself say it? Was it to point out that DJ didn't make the block? Maybe it was to make a point about the word itself. He said at the beginning of the article that the coach was using it to make a point about how he shouldn't be saying the word. So is that true or not?

If DJ 100% believed that Pearman's intent was something else, why wouldn't he have said that.

The fact is that no one except Danny Pearman knows what was said, how he said it, and what his intention was. DJ seemed pretty dang rattled by the entire exchange, which leads me to believe he did not interpret Pearman as being so kind-hearted at the start. He begrudgingly accepted his apology.

Maybe DJ is trying to be gracious in how he recounts things? Trying to balance the truth and his personal offense, while not completely trashing his coaches, alma mater, and his father’s employer?

I truly hope this was all something innocent. DJs account leaves plenty of room to doubt the full accuracy of Pearman’s account. Again, I hope I’m wrong and this was all an innocent misunderstanding.

This isn't good at all, but the fact that DJ was that bothered by it and went to the administrators. Dabo should have addressed the team about it back then. This is a lose - lose situation all the way around, and probably isn't going to go away.

Pearman needs to resign, no way he can continue recruiting moving forward.
But yet it's ok for DJ to use the word? There is no in-between here. Clearly, Pearman is wrong and should pay the price for his resignation but DJ isn't innocent either.

The fact is that no one except Danny Pearman knows what was said, how he said it, and what his intention was. DJ seemed pretty dang rattled by the entire exchange, which leads me to believe he did not interpret Pearman as being so kind-hearted at the start. He begrudgingly accepted his apology.

Maybe DJ is trying to be gracious in how he recounts things? Trying to balance the truth and his personal offense, while not completely trashing his coaches, alma mater, and his father’s employer?

I truly hope this was all something innocent. DJs account leaves plenty of room to doubt the full accuracy of Pearman’s account. Again, I hope I’m wrong and this was all an innocent misunderstanding.

Agreed, there needs to be a little more time put into to understanding what was said. Pearman is on the record, no one but him knows his intent, but it certainly appears that a number of other people witnessed this, so surely someone else will weigh in on this behind the scenes.

Whether or not Radakovich knew before yesterday is a big deal in this story. If Pearman misrepresented the story initially, it falls on Coach Swinney for not doing more at the time. It seems if Coach Swinney called Greenlee multiple times yesterday, he has doubt about how it was handled.

I don’t have a problem keeping it in house, but the house must be handled properly.

I wanted to highlight this and applaud it as a black man, father and former coach. With that said and hindsight Coach Swinney should of sent a stronger message to Coach Pearman with a suspension, Greenlee running rest of practice and express this policy to the team after the fact and remind them the next day of Clemson's culture.
As a proud black man myself, you just may be onto something. It will work it’s self out. I’m not worried.

But yet it's ok for DJ to use the word? There is no in-between here. Clearly, Pearman is wrong and should pay the price for his resignation but DJ isn't innocent either.

I never stated that it was ok for DJ to say that word, but if it bothered DJ that much to report it. Then I believe that Dabo should have addressed the team about it, or at least have a sit down with both DJ and Pearman.

I'm sure more went on behind the scenes, maybe DJ's father addressed 'Father to Son' or maybe his Dad and Dabo had a talk. Who knows

Hate to say this ,but I do an exercise studio where the rappers use that word occasionally in their the songs...It`s horrible but "accepted" in certain factions.Makes me cringe..Is there a double standard here?

Reactions: Pvilletigerfan
ADVERTISEMENT