ADVERTISEMENT

********** WEDNESDAY UPDATE **********

Then DJ needs to grow the hell up...

Don’t glorify the usage of a word & then become a sensitive sally when someone says it...grow a set!

And he should ashamed anyway, along with Tuttle...these guys were given opportunities the vast majority of people did not think they deserved (particularly Greenlee) yet they wanna throw someone under the bus for a situation years after it’s been settled...I guess it’s the times we live in...
lol someone hood slipped. Blame the person disrespected and ignore the offender. How about not responding and real Clemson fans can keep your ilk hidden.

Reactions: deshaunwatson4
This is a hot take I can live with. If it’s a he said / he said, all involved should go. Do we want a man on staff who raised a son who uses such language to describe another human being?

This is starting to look like it may go down this path now and that is my point. Thank you for stating it better for me.

Two guys whitesplaining it is the same when a black person and a white person use the N word. This board brings out racial ignorance and pure stupidity.

there is a clear difference between defending a white persons right to say it (which is almost no one in the threads i have seen) and saying the only proper outcome is the man to lose his career no matter the context, nuisance, etc. Does context and words matter at all?

Chris Rock once said there are no bad word, just bad thoughts. I don't really agree with it specifically but i think the sentiment is mostly true.
A lot of truth in Chris Rock’s statement there...

Speaking of Chris Rock...did anyone else see where Jimmy Fallon had to issue a public apology for a sketch on SNL back in 2000 bc he dressed up like Chris Rock?

20 years later, everyone was offended...except Chris Rock...

Welcome to 2020

WEDNESDAY UPDATE
By: Larry Williams

As you all know, yesterday the news broke that Clemson assistant football coach Danny Pearman used a racial slur while coaching former tight end D.J. Greenlee during a 2017 practice.

Here's what we know on this as of late this morning:

-- When Matt Connolly of The State first reported Greenlee's account of Pearman using the N-word three years ago, Clemson officials set about doing its homework to try to recreate exactly what happened.

-- Then came the statement from Pearman, released by football communications director Ross Taylor, saying Pearman repeated a racial slur initially used by D.J. Greenlee "when trying to stop the word from being used on the practice field."

Thereafter, The State posted an updated story after another conversation between Connolly and D.J. Greenlee. In this story, Greenlee gave a clarified version of events as he recalled them. In this account, Greenlee recited the following practice exchange.

Pearman thought Greenlee missed a block during a rep "and was being a coach at the time and he was just trying to figure out what was going on."

Milan Richard asked Greenlee about the exchange, according to Greenlee.

“(Milan) was asking me what happened? ‘What’s coach getting on to you about?’” Greenlee told The State. “I was just like, ‘Man I got the (n-word) that came in my gap.’ I was talking to my teammate. That was all that was said. Then the next thing you know coach Pearman starts coming over there. He was repeating what I just said. He’s like, ‘(n-word) this, (n-word) that. The (n-word) wasn’t there.’”

While Greenlee pointed out that Pearman wasn't calling him the n-word, the clarified account from Greenlee doesn't seem to match the account Pearman gave in his statement, that he was merely using the word in asking Greenlee not to use the word.

This apparent contradiction is a new layer to the story that Clemson officials are dealing with today. We are told Swinney spoke with D.J. Greenlee multiple times yesterday. D.J.'s father Larry is a longtime strength and conditioning coach with Clemson's football program.

-- One pertinent question is whether Swinney reported this incident to his superiors when it happened. We have not been able to confirm that he did.

-- It is worth noting that Swinney expressly forbids use of the n-word on Clemson's practice fields and inside the football offices.

-- The obvious question now is whether Swinney and/or athletics director Dan Radakovich will issue a statement in light of the new layer to the story and its overall place in the national sports conversation amid the tumult from the George Floyd killing.

-- As of late last night we did not get the impression that Pearman's job was in serious danger. But as we all know, circumstances can change.

One thing we do know for sure: This probably isn't going away anytime soon.

-- We will certainly keep you posted as we know more.

FROM THE TIGER FAN SHOP: Click HERE to check out all of our inventory, plus early summer DEALS on officially-licensed CLEMSON apparel!

otfe2o092dmfhuozk0zv
For what it's worth, Pearman has been telling people close to him he expects to get fired today.

lol someone hood slipped. Blame the person disrespected and ignore the offender. How about not responding and real Clemson fans can keep your ilk hidden.
Ahhh yes...the good ole fashioned “I ain’t got anything better to say so I’m gonna call or insinuate that someone’s a racist” play...
#1 play in the liberal playbook...

But you see, libs have played that card so much to the point that it doesn’t bother me anymore. I know who I am & what I’m not & that’s good enough for me...

I’ve also come to realize that the people to scream racism the loudest tend to be the most racist people in the room :rolleyes:

So in the end it’s going to be 3 legacies (Pearman , Greenlee, Tuttle ) that brings down our program. Great . Gotta love those 5 hearts.

Reactions: sdozier
Way to go DJ...

Stir up a shit storm for the program that gave you an opportunity...

Then tuck your tail & leave. Smh

What a dumb take. His comments put the whole thing in perspective otherwise we'd still have half the world speculating what happened. Also because you are given an opportunity does not mean you are suddenly expected to listen to a white coach say the n word.

Ahhh yes...the good ole fashioned “I ain’t got anything better to say so I’m gonna call or insinuate that someone’s a racist” play...

But you see, libs have played that card so much to the point that it doesn’t bother me anymore. I know who I am & what I’m not & that’s good enough for me...

I’ve also come to realize that the people to scream racism the loudest tend to be the most racist people in the room :rolleyes:

signed White supremacist
Fixed it for you.

Reactions: brohead

You act like “racist” is some sort of schoolyard insult that has no substance or merit to it. It’s not.

I have found that people who believe that tend to be...the most racist people in the room.

“It was me and my teammates talking, and he felt the need to come over and tell me how to talk.” From DJ per the article.

So if this is true, then Danny Pearman was reprimanding him for the use of the word. Not the best form, but...

You act like “racist” is some sort of schoolyard insult that has no substance or merit to it. It’s not.

I have found that people who believe that tend to be...the most racist people in the room.
Reading pages and pages of comments, it is no surprise to find which regular posters are most dismissive of the charges against Pearman. Same ol’ tired (racist) set of posters who idolize the man in the White House because he is so much like them.

This situation occurred three years ago and nobody had an issue. People rave about the culture. Pearman apologizes and we move on. He didn’t just walk up to him and call him a name. He lost his cool and mocked him for using it. A bad mistake but I find it hard to believe that greenlees dad would just let it go if it was malicious or wasn’t handled. If he did, Shame on him. Now we find out from a random tweet and the guy should be fired? For what? Social injustice or so the football team isn’t damaged. I’m fine with going 8-4 if we have a backbone doing it. Again, if the situation is not as advertised or there is a coverup, then we got a different problem.

well said

I see you don't understand the difference between a black man using the N word and a white man using the N word. I advise you do some research as to why there is a difference and maybe you will change your stance on the sentence above.
I won’t buy into that. If the word is so evil that it can get someone fired even when used in the context we are discussing here, then there should be consequences if anyone uses it. There are words that I find extremely offensive personally, those words are the very last words you will hear come out of my mouth, ever. To do otherwise I see as being a bit disingenuous.

What a dumb take. His comments put the whole thing in perspective otherwise we'd still have half the world speculating what happened. Also because you are given an opportunity does not mean you are suddenly expected to listen to a white coach say the n word.
Dumb take?

So you’re taking Greenlee’s word as gospel?? Like I’ve said, stories tend to get exaggerated over time...human nature.

“It was me and my teammates talking, and he felt the need to come over and tell me how to talk.” From DJ per the article.

So if this is true, then Danny Pearman was reprimanding him for the use of the word. Not the best form, but...
Saying The (n-word) wasn’t there.’” is not reprimanding him for using the word. If he was just reprimanding why did he have to use the word 3 times?

Reactions: ddot7
Dumb take?

So you’re taking Greenlee’s word as gospel?? Like I’ve said, stories tend to get exaggerated over time...human nature.

You do know that Kenyon Tuttle was the one who put this whole story in motion, NOT DJ, right? D.J. has said from the beginning that he’s moved on from it, he holds no grudges, he didn’t like it at the time and still doesn’t, but that he’s put it behind him. I would surmise that he’s none too happy w/ Tuttle for throwing it back out there like this.

I don't believe the part about Dabo not allowing the "N word" to be used in the facility ONE BIT. It's in at least 2/3 of the rap songs in existence, for example.
Probably more like 99.5/100

but I do think Dabo has this policy.

this word isn’t supposed to be used in HS games. The refs are supposed to penalize players for using this word.

But yet it's ok for DJ to use the word? There is no in-between here. Clearly, Pearman is wrong and should pay the price for his resignation but DJ isn't innocent either.
For the billionth time, yes it is okay for black people to use the word. It's their word, it's their right

And it is not okay for white people to use it

I think they teach this in freaking Kindergarten now. Unbelievable that some adults still don't get it

I won’t buy into that. If the word is so evil that it can get someone fired even when used in the context we are discussing here, then there should be consequences if anyone uses it. There are words that I find extremely offensive personally, those words are the very last words you will hear come out of my mouth, ever. To do otherwise I see as being a bit disingenuous.

Historically and almost 100% of the time it's used by a white person it's from a perspective of hatred and racism. Ask yourself this, do you think the same applies when black people use the word colloquially? The answer should be fairly obvious.

That said, I do not necessarily think the incident as described by all parties thus far is necessarily grounds for Pearman to be terminated. I don't know Danny Pearman at all, but i find it hard to believe Dabo would have been able to build the culture that people rave about at Clemson if an overly racist coach was on the staff. This is an awful situation all around, but Dabo has more to consider here than the fallout of keeping him on staff.

Very well said. I hate that someone would have to lose their job when he wasn't verbally attacking a player, but it is what it is. A bad mistake. Pearman should have enough in his bank account to retire. He's gotta be in his 60s anyways.

Now go out and get another ace recruiter.
Preferably a minority hire at that....what’s Brandon Ford doing these days?

hell bring Rendrick Taylor in..wasn’t he on the GA coaching track?

Historically and almost 100% of the time it's used by a white person it's from a perspective of hatred and racism. Ask yourself this, do you think the same applies when black people use the word colloquially? The answer should be fairly obvious.

That said, I do not necessarily think the incident as described by all parties thus far is necessarily grounds for Pearman to be terminated. I don't know Danny Pearman at all, but i find it hard to believe Dabo would have been able to build the culture that people rave about at Clemson if an overly racist coach was on the staff. This is an awful situation all around, but Dabo has more to consider here than the fallout of keeping him on staff.

Ohhhh man if a person of any race ever calls me "colloquially" we're gonna be chuckin' knucks

Reactions: jeffcoat
Dumb take?

what real reason does dj have to lie about this his dad is on the staff, he wouldn’t risk his fathers job for nothing. People need to realize the program is not perfect it’s not free of flaws.

For the billionth time, yes it is okay for black people to use the word. It's their word, it's their right

And it is not okay for white people to use it

I think they teach this in freaking Kindergarten now. Unbelievable that some adults still don't get it
This might be the most offensive thing I've read in this entire 4 page thread. Congratulations

Reactions: HumbleTiger
Saying The (n-word) wasn’t there.’” is not reprimanding him for using the word. If he was just reprimanding why did he have to use the word 3 times?

Ok, then what does DJ mean when he says this? This was quoted in the article.

“It was me and my teammates talking, and he felt the need to come over and tell me how to talk.”

Reactions: BigShotBobby
Your right to choose to think that way. Know it's an ill-informed choice.

what does "promote a false agenda" even mean? Dabo couldn't even be bothered to acknowledge the existence of inherent advantages of whiteness that black men do not enjoy in this country as well as the numerous injustices suffered in interactions with police. TL16 did that in his tweets on the subject. Why couldn't Dabo?
Dabo grew up with more obstacles to overcome than 90% or more of the minorities on the team. He is the perfect mentor and he is darned good at it, yet political correctness will end up destroying all he is doing. His statement was fine, if you have issues with it you are looking for reasons to be offended and are in fact part of the problem.

what does "promote a false agenda" even mean? Dabo couldn't even be bothered to acknowledge the existence of inherent advantages of whiteness that black men do not enjoy in this country as well as the numerous injustices suffered in interactions with police. TL16 did that in his tweets on the subject. Why couldn't Dabo?
White privilege and police brutality as a racial issue are false narratives not supported by data. If you have data that supports these narratives please provide them. I am not above admitting that I am wrong.

White privilege and police brutality as a racial issue are false narratives not supported by data. If you have data that supports these narratives please provide them. I am not above admitting that I am wrong.
you just don't want to listen. The ENTIRE black community is trying to tell us it's a huge issue. And so many still won't listen to them. It is unbelievable

White privilege is not something that can be quantified, so that point is irrelevant. And if you don't think police brutality disproportionately impacts black people then you're just wrong.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT