ADVERTISEMENT

********** WEDNESDAY UPDATE **********

Guess we need to get rid of the Washington monument and Jefferson Memorial too. Let’s not go overboard like the rest of the country.

If Washington or Jefferson had ever said this, I'd agree:

Tillman once said of African Americans, “We have scratched our heads to find out how we could eliminate the last one of them. We stuffed ballot boxes. We shot them. We are not ashamed of it.”

--Mr. DT

It's very apparent that his faith and success bothers some folks...

I mean it really wouldn't surprise me for him to end his career instead of being someone he is not. I've known him and his staff for several years... and what makes them successful is the undeniable belief that you can make something of yourself regardless of background, race, political beliefs etc.

The narratives thrown about from many in the media and non fans is of a country bumpkin faith healer is who is trying to swindle college football with his "act." And yet, it isn't an act... that's what he believes and lives life accordingly.

I suspect he's probably done more for his players than most coaches in their careers combined.

What happened with Coach Pearman isn't good. I could never think of saying those words even when confronting someone for saying it.

But the evisceration of Coach Swinney's character and the nature of our program because of it, might just be the tipping point where one realizes he doesn't have to put his family or himself in the crossfire of character assassination.
I felt when college football started paying players which no one knows how much problems that will present especially the players Dabo would step away which it’s about a five year time frame. Now since Dabo’s name will be added to the racist list that will make him walk. Dabo lives and works with passion and really cares about his staff players and program. I really hate this

Reactions: ClemsonGentleman

Tillman once said of African Americans, “We have scratched our heads to find out how we could eliminate the last one of them. We stuffed ballot boxes. We shot them. We are not ashamed of it.”

--Mr. DT
I hadn't seen that quote before. Wonder how the apologists will rationalize this one

well your 100% wrong
I don't believe the part about Dabo not allowing the "N word" to be used in the facility ONE BIT. It's in at least 2/3 of the rap songs in existence, for example.

Are you really this dense......The word is in the black culture and is part of their music .etc. It is also ( as Greenlee states acceptable for them to call each other a nig...).Dabo does not expect them to quit listening to their music. Use some common sense

I wish we could have a conversation about why. I wish we could have a conversation about the interference of government in our lives.

But alas, we cannot.

We can have a conversation about the why. It's because systemic racism still permeates all aspects of life in this country. It's not hard. We fought a civil war over it 160 years ago. We had to legislate equality 60 years ago, and while things have certainly gotten better, there's still a long way to go. That all seems like ancient history to most people under 50, but in the grand scheme of things it's not very long ago.

At this point, DRad and Clements need to be in front of the microphones. If I’m their crisis management guy, I have Dabo and Pearman there, give Larry Greenlee the option of being there. If he accepts, I ask the entire coaching staff and strength coaches to be there.

I would have DRad start the presser, say a few words and then turn it over to Pearman. Then have Pearman reiterate what he said yesterday and add “Because of the deep amount of love and devotion I feel for my players, current and former, my love for Coach Swinney and our entire football staff and my love for this University, I am stepping aside so that I am no longer a distraction and everyone’s attention can turn to healing our collective societal wounds.”

Then I’d have Clements close the conference by saying that he specifically asked Dabo NOT to speak today because the heart of this matter isn’t Dabo’s celebrity, and that while Dabo will be available to speak at a later date, today is about setting a clear and singular expectation regarding race...and as President of Clemson University, that is his job, not the head football coach.
Bravo, Jim

For the billionth time, yes it is okay for black people to use the word. It's their word, it's their right

And it is not okay for white people to use it

I think they teach this in freaking Kindergarten now. Unbelievable that some adults still don't get it
Too bad Honky didn't catch on

I wish we could have a conversation about why. I wish we could have a conversation about the interference of government in our lives.

But alas, we cannot.

What people are missing when looking at this data is that to the extent the police are using excessive force in shootings, they are doing so against whites (and Hispanics) as well, so even if it's more of a problem for African Americans, it's not solely a problem for African Americans. Eliminating racism, (which I'm not sure you can do in the human race) in short, would still leave the U.S. with far more deaths from police shootings than seems reasonable.

--Mr. DT
Nothing good is going to come out of this discussion on a Clemson football board. Everybody is going to come from different directions on this topic. I’m almost 66 and remember vividly the white and colored water fountains. I had to be told not to drink from the colored one. I”m very worried about what’s happening today in our country and we sure as hell aren’t going to change anything on this web site. I have to believe Dabo, DRad and Clements will do the right thing. You guys carry on.

What people are missing when looking at this data is that to the extent the police are using excessive force in shootings, they are doing so against whites (and Hispanics) as well, so even if it's more of a problem for African Americans, it's not solely a problem for African Americans. Eliminating racism, (which I'm not sure you can do in the human race) in short, would still leave the U.S. with far more deaths from police shootings than seems reasonable.

This is the same rationalization, just worded more delicately. Here's a why I'd like to discuss...why are so many white people unwilling to just admit a blatantly obvious truth?

It's very apparent that his faith and success bothers some folks...

I mean it really wouldn't surprise me for him to end his career instead of being someone he is not. I've known him and his staff for several years... and what makes them successful is the undeniable belief that you can make something of yourself regardless of background, race, political beliefs etc.

The narratives thrown about from many in the media and non fans is of a country bumpkin faith healer is who is trying to swindle college football with his "act." And yet, it isn't an act... that's what he believes and lives life accordingly.

I suspect he's probably done more for his players than most coaches in their careers combined.

What happened with Coach Pearman isn't good. I could never think of saying those words even when confronting someone for saying it.

But the evisceration of Coach Swinney's character and the nature of our program because of it, might just be the tipping point where one realizes he doesn't have to put his family or himself in the crossfire of character assassination.

We don't nail people to wooden crosses or literally cut their heads off any longer, but we are really good at crucifying and beheading the faithful now using digital crosses and swords. Our hands are just as bloody.

This is the same rationalization, just worded more delicately. Here's a why I'd like to discuss...why are so many white people unwilling to just admit a blatantly obvious truth?
I admit it.

The stats show that.

My question is why aren't we all concerned about it?
So let's talk about it... perhaps off the board? message me. I'm serious.

In a friendly way! Seriously I'm open to dialogue.

Again, I am not using profanity with you and I would appreciate the same.
But the issue isn’t about schools is it? Isn’t it the association of the namesake and what that person did. Should it matter what school it is? Isn’t the argument the same?
Politics and optics.

Guess we need to get rid of the Washington monument and Jefferson Memorial too. Let’s not go overboard like the rest of the country.

Just a political chess move that could be taken.

It’s always easy to spot liberals. All they care about are BS social issues.

Keep whining about Tillman Hall all you want.

Reactions: vatiger1
Why do fools keep bringing up Coach Swinney devout Christian faith? Any Christian, Catholic, Protestant, Muslim, scientist whatever and Jew can see the unchristian like behavior that took place in the field. Vast majority of America alone is religious with over 70% Christian faith. Y'all listen to too much bullshit radical radio stations and TV

Reactions: cyclotiger
what real reason does dj have to lie about this his dad is on the staff, he wouldn’t risk his fathers job for nothing. People need to realize the program is not perfect it’s not free of flaws.
Do you really think his father would’ve just been ok with it if it happened the way DJ says it happened now?

Highly highly doubtful.

It’s always easy to spot liberals. All they care about are BS social issues.

Keep whining about Tillman Hall all you want.
Seems like you’re pretty upset about this social issue too, just on the other side of it.

I admit it.

The stats show that.

My question is why aren't we all concerned about it?
So let's talk about it... perhaps off the board? message me. I'm serious.

In a friendly way! Seriously I'm open to dialogue.

I don't know why we need to discuss it privately. I'm not saying that to be a dick and I believe you're sincere. I just think we're at the point where a fully public and open discussion is necessary. Sorry for assuming your stance though, for real.

Reactions: Joe Cobb
Change the name of Tillman Hall, who cares. Fire Pearman, who cares. The cops from MN should spend time in jail. All that’s good. But it will never be enough. People are getting called racist for refusing to put a black box on Instagram. White people by the thousands on in their knees in Bethesda reciting propaganda about how horrible they feel about being white. Shaming all white people is deplorable, and that’s what’s happening right now.

WEDNESDAY UPDATE
By: Larry Williams

As you all know, yesterday the news broke that Clemson assistant football coach Danny Pearman used a racial slur while coaching former tight end D.J. Greenlee during a 2017 practice.

Here's what we know on this as of late this morning:

-- When Matt Connolly of The State first reported Greenlee's account of Pearman using the N-word three years ago, Clemson officials set about doing its homework to try to recreate exactly what happened.

-- Then came the statement from Pearman, released by football communications director Ross Taylor, saying Pearman repeated a racial slur initially used by D.J. Greenlee "when trying to stop the word from being used on the practice field."

Thereafter, The State posted an updated story after another conversation between Connolly and D.J. Greenlee. In this story, Greenlee gave a clarified version of events as he recalled them. In this account, Greenlee recited the following practice exchange.

Pearman thought Greenlee missed a block during a rep "and was being a coach at the time and he was just trying to figure out what was going on."

Milan Richard asked Greenlee about the exchange, according to Greenlee.

“(Milan) was asking me what happened? ‘What’s coach getting on to you about?’” Greenlee told The State. “I was just like, ‘Man I got the (n-word) that came in my gap.’ I was talking to my teammate. That was all that was said. Then the next thing you know coach Pearman starts coming over there. He was repeating what I just said. He’s like, ‘(n-word) this, (n-word) that. The (n-word) wasn’t there.’”

While Greenlee pointed out that Pearman wasn't calling him the n-word, the clarified account from Greenlee doesn't seem to match the account Pearman gave in his statement, that he was merely using the word in asking Greenlee not to use the word.

This apparent contradiction is a new layer to the story that Clemson officials are dealing with today. We are told Swinney spoke with D.J. Greenlee multiple times yesterday. D.J.'s father Larry is a longtime strength and conditioning coach with Clemson's football program.

-- One pertinent question is whether Swinney reported this incident to his superiors when it happened. We have not been able to confirm that he did.

-- It is worth noting that Swinney expressly forbids use of the n-word on Clemson's practice fields and inside the football offices.

-- The obvious question now is whether Swinney and/or athletics director Dan Radakovich will issue a statement in light of the new layer to the story and its overall place in the national sports conversation amid the tumult from the George Floyd killing.

-- As of late last night we did not get the impression that Pearman's job was in serious danger. But as we all know, circumstances can change.

One thing we do know for sure: This probably isn't going away anytime soon.

-- We will certainly keep you posted as we know more.

FROM THE TIGER FAN SHOP: Click HERE to check out all of our inventory, plus early summer DEALS on officially-licensed CLEMSON apparel!

otfe2o092dmfhuozk0zv

Why do fools keep bringing up Coach Swinney devout Christian faith? Any Christian, Catholic, Protestant, Muslim, scientist whatever and Jew can see the unchristian like behavior that took place in the field. Vast majority of America alone is religious with over 70% Christian faith. Y'all listen to too much bullshit radical radio stations and TV

Da swami coming in with more hot takes

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT