ADVERTISEMENT

What Does the Republican Party Stand For in 2023?

okclem

Woodrush
Gold Member
Apr 2, 2007
Greenville, SC
Anyone who considers himself a republican please chime in.

Edit - I'm not asking you to give me a textbook answer about Barry Goldwater conservative ethos. I'm asking what today's republican elected officials and party apparatus stand for.

Edit - I'm not asking you to give me a textbook answer about Barry Goldwater conservative ethos. I'm asking what today's republican elected officials and party apparatus stand for.

Getting the libs? No plans for anything else. Sure, they will tell you all the stuff they hate, most of which is cultural warfare stuff. But no actual plans.

This is the party of repeal and replace, but nobody actually having a plan to replace with.

Not a lot of substance unfortunately. You have your MAGA crowd, the anti-woke crowd and then a moderate group trying to figure out how to navigate the simple masses in those cohorts. Nobody is focused on real policy positions that matter.
If trump ends up not winning the nomination who would be running? I think anyone other than desantis would get my vote, but I don’t know who would be the other options

Reactions: yoshi121374
If trump ends up not winning the nomination who would be running? I think anyone other than desantis would get my vote, but I don’t know who would be the other options

I could go for Tim Scott, Nikki Haley really hurt herself with me by sucking up to the Crazy "Moms for Liberty" group. Those crazy ass Karen's are making teachers lives hell.

Speaking of perception versus reality @nytigerfan and his crew not doing so well. LOL!! Its funny how the libs and never Trump establishment republicans try and talk crap like they are smarter than maga and we all know its BS from the narcissist crowd on this board.

Speaking of perception versus reality @nytigerfan and his crew not doing so well. LOL!! Its funny how the libs and never Trump establishment republicans try and talk crap like they are smarter than maga and we all know its BS from the narcissist crowd on this board.

Oh trust me, we have our own share of illiterate, ****head magas in NY. They live in the rural areas and queens. Luckily, most of them are relocating to SC and GA where they can live like maga kings.

Oh trust me, we have our own share of illiterate, ****head magas in NY. They live in the rural areas and queens. Luckily, most of them are relocating to SC and GA where they can live like maga kings.
Dont talk shit to WV. LOL!!

No that's OK.....

I'd vote Tim Scott over Biden, I think.
I would certainly listen to Scott and consider him. But I do think ultimately there’s going to be too much space between my positions and his, particularly around religious/social issues. He sponsors a federal version of Florida’s “don’t say gay” bill and says God told him to run for President. He’s also riding the fence on the 2020 election, saying he doesn’t “think it was stolen” but still pushing a narrative that there was fraud.

He’s also virulently anti-labor and I find myself, generally, becoming more pro-labor as I get older.

I would certainly listen to Scott and consider him. But I do think ultimately there’s going to be too much space between my positions and his, particularly around religious/social issues. He sponsors a federal version of Florida’s “don’t say gay” bill and says God told him to run for President. He’s also riding the fence on the 2020 election, saying he doesn’t “think it was stolen” but still pushing a narrative that there was fraud.

He’s also virulently anti-labor and I find myself, generally, becoming more pro-labor as I get older.
He's also an extremist on abortion rights and he's always been a Trump enabler. I don't get it. But then again, I don't understand why anyone would want to give this iteration of the Republican party more power - especially if you're a moderate.

I also find him suspect in that he is a 40+ year old virgin.

"Bill Mehlem recalls a time when his politics generally aligned with conservatives, enthusiastically backing Republicans such as John McCain during his 2008 presidential campaign.

But the stay-at-home dad has grown dismayed with the tempestuous GOP molded by former President Donald Trump, who is now seeking a return to the White House. And the threat of a Republican-led impeachment inquiry into President Joe Biden’s family finances and the churning U.S. House probes of his son, Hunter Biden, have left Mehlem indignant, angry and remembering why he's a political independent.

“It’s all about revenge politics to keep Trump’s base” engaged for the 2024 elections, Mehlem said. “It’s all about nothing.”

I also find him suspect in that he is a 40+ year old virgin.
Lmao wow is he? I had no idea. How can he tell women what to do with their pussy if he’s never had any?

A millionaire senator who has never been with a woman and hates gay rights? Dude is hanging out with Lindsey in the closet.

I don't think the average American agrees with the people elected to represent them. I've never seen a politician like Lindsey Graham get booed everywhere he goes but keeps winning elections and keeps representing people that do not like nor want him there. How does that happen in the real world?

I also don't think every Democrat thinks Antifa is a good group of people and that we should really defund the police and push gender changing on kids. But, there's representatives who act as if everyone wants that and now that has become "Liberal".

Therefore, I'm not sure what the "Republican Party" wants, or the "Democrat Party" wants. I believe their leadership prefers division and "fake news" to stir the pot. I don't think Mitch McConnell wants what's best for the average American. I don't think Nanci Pelosi has a clue what the average American wants, nor does she truly care.

It's just my opinion, but I think it's time we start calling out corruption. I don't side with most democrats, but I don't hate them. I can't stand a corrupt politician. I hate a corrupt Republican far more than a crazy a** democrat with purple/Blue/green hair. Let's start investigating every dollar that all of them earn. Republican and Democrat. Let's push to cap terms at 6-8 years for every member of congress.

It's like we've become fan boys of a party and we can't see our own faults. If Clemson sucks at football, I don't need to sugar coat it. I can admit we suck and won't sit here a try blindly defend why we do or make excuses. Same with politicians. For example, ever ask someone what they hate about the guy they voted for? Ever hear anyone bash their own party for their faults? Every hear anyone admit what they're embarrassed about when it comes to their party? Of course not.

"Our guy sucks and lies but yours lies more so it makes me feel better to bash yours and I absolutely don't want to even hear why you think mine sucks."

I have no clue what the leadership wants. I honestly don't know what the average American wants because we don't discuss things anymore. We take a stance and plant our defense flag and turn off our ability to learn. We're just chanting our version of "SEC" for politicians and it's extremely weird.

Hoping to "learn" ITT.

Last edited:

I'm a conservative and not a Republican. I would say the Republican party stands for not much of anything important at this time. It's been that way for a long time and hopefully the arbiter of the final destruction of this party is Trump. What good there was in the GOP sold its soul to Trump for the simple reason that he would fight back against all the stuff people on the right have grown so tired of. But they did this without understanding despicable nature of Trump the man. Now it's going to cost them huge because they are on the path to re-nominate one of the worst people possible in this time. Hence my post about Trump and the Washington Generals (that's the team that runs around like idiots and loses every time to the Globetrotters!)

I don't think the average American agrees with the people elected to represent them. I've never seen a politician like Lindsey Graham get booed everywhere he goes but keeps winning elections and keeps representing people that do not like nor want him there. How does that happen in the real world?

I also don't think every Democrat thinks Antifa is a good group of people and that we should really defund the police and push gender changing on kids. But, there's representatives who act as if everyone wants that and now that has become "Liberal".

Therefore, I'm not sure what the "Republican Party" wants, or the "Democrat Party" wants. I believe their leadership prefers division and "fake news" to stir the pot. I don't think Mitch McConnell wants what's best for the average American. I don't think Nanci Pelosi has a clue what the average American wants, nor does she truly care.

It's just my opinion, but I think it's time we start calling out corruption. I don't side with most democrats, but I don't hate them. I can't stand a corrupt politician. I hate a corrupt Republican far more than a crazy a** democrat with purple/Blue/green hair. Let's start investigating every dollar that all of them earn. Republican and Democrat. Let's push to cap terms at 6-8 years for every member of congress.

It's like we've become fan boys of a party and we can't see our own faults. If Clemson sucks at football, I don't need to sugar coat it. I can admit we suck and won't sit here a try blindly defend why we do or make excuses. Same with politicians. For example, ever ask someone what they hate about the guy they voted for? Ever hear anyone bash their own party for their faults? Every hear anyone admit what they're embarrassed about when it comes to their party? Of course not.

"Our guy sucks and lies but yours lies more so it makes me feel better to bash yours and I absolutely don't want to even hear why you think mine sucks."

I have no clue what the leadership wants. I honestly don't know what the average American wants because we don't discuss things anymore. We take a stance and plant our defense flag and turn off our ability to learn. We're just chanting our version of "SEC" for politicians and it's extremely weird.

Hoping to "learn" ITT.
Well said!

Reactions: SconnyTiger25
For example, ever ask someone what they hate about the guy they voted for? Ever hear anyone bash their own party for their faults? Every hear anyone admit what they're embarrassed about when it comes to their party? Of course not.

All the time. I voted for Trump twice and I cannot abide the man. It was a case of picking the lesser of two evils. There are so many conservatives who are affiliated with the Republican party that want something better for Americans and recognize that the GOP has failed utterly to address so many issues they could win on.

In your post, you did a lot of picking on the people you think are the problem which is certainly your right. Your solutions are just the canned stuff that people throw out there without much understanding as to what we really need to do as a country and how the answers are fundamental to the role of government and the moral compass of society. Without understanding these things, we can't solve anything and more rules won't fix the problem. For America to ever take up the calling to "endeavor to be a more perfect union," most of our population is going to have to go through rehab and get off the high of government control in their lives and recognize what's really happened and how it's destroying our country.

So far ITT, what we learn is that there are a lot of people who consume propaganda with little connection to reality so they can feel better about their predisposed narratives. Fact and reality almost never has a seat at those tables. It's distressing to see but it's just reality these days.

All the time. I voted for Trump twice and I cannot abide the man. It was a case of picking the lesser of two evils. There are so many conservatives who are affiliated with the Republican party that want something better for Americans and recognize that the GOP has failed utterly to address so many issues they could win on.

In your post, you did a lot of picking on the people you think are the problem which is certainly your right. Your solutions are just the canned stuff that people throw out there without much understanding as to what we really need to do as a country and how the answers are fundamental to the role of government and the moral compass of society. Without understanding these things, we can't solve anything and more rules won't fix the problem. For America to ever take up the calling to "endeavor to be a more perfect union," most of our population is going to have to go through rehab and get off the high of government control in their lives and recognize what's really happened and how it's destroying our country.
Fair enough. I didn't intend to pick on anyone, rather shed light on the problem, IMO. I guess we call it two different things.

We agree that "more government" isn't the answer.

Reactions: SconnyTiger25

Hoping to "learn" ITT.
I don't agree with everything you say here but I appreciate you respectfully sharing your thoughts when a lot of people on your side of the aisle won't comment on these threads. You also tried to answer the question and you were pretty frank about it so I respect that. There are a few points here for further discussion that I don't have time for right now but they should lead to more dialogue.

Fair enough. I didn't intend to pick on anyone, rather shed light on the problem, IMO. I guess we call it two different things.

We agree that "more government" isn't the answer.

In my view, part of what you're saying is really important but maybe we disagree a little.

My primary thing is that I want to see the consistent use of the rule of law and regulatory authority without prejudice or passion in any way whatsoever. Humans are always going to corrupt and especially so when power is involved. We see such circumstantial use of the rule of law now and it makes me sick. We need a system that is blind to political party or ideology. We just need to do the things set forth in our law and Constitution and that's the end of it. Doing so will get so much of what you're rightfully frustrated with out of the way. What we see now is so circumstantial, corrupt and biased it's just no longer a credible way to govern which is why everything is coming undone. Both sides are picking and choosing what they'll do based on political gain and not based on what is right and what the rule of law states. The worst part is afterward when they try to stand on the pedestal of the rule of law. It's so dishonest and cynical. Yuck!

Reactions: Tiger Guru
In my view, part of what you're saying is really important but maybe we disagree a little.

My primary thing is that I want to see the consistent use of the rule of law and regulatory authority without prejudice or passion in any way whatsoever. Humans are always going to corrupt and especially so when power is involved. We see such circumstantial use of the rule of law now and it makes me sick. We need a system that is blind to political party or ideology. We just need to do the things set forth in our law and Constitution and that's the end of it. Doing so will get so much of what you're rightfully frustrated with out of the way. What we see now is so circumstantial, corrupt and biased it's just no longer a credible way to govern which is why everything is coming undone. Both sides are picking and choosing what they'll do based on political gain and not based on what is right and what the rule of law states. The worst part is afterward when they try to stand on the pedestal of the rule of law. It's so dishonest and cynical. Yuck!
I couldn’t possibly agree more with you. I have less hope for us turning it around due to the circumstances of our media.

Once you have a corrupt media (both sides) it’s nearly checkmate, no?

Because of that and the fact that the vast majority of people are turned off from having a conversation with the other side, I just don’t think it’s fixable. I think we’re too far gone as a country. It’s just my opinion, but when the National 6pm news is extremely one sided and more importantly refuses to investigate their own, what is the purpose of trying? Why is our news picking sides to begin with? Don’t we all hate corruption regardless of party?

I couldn’t possibly agree more with you. I have less hope for us turning it around due to the circumstances of our media.

Once you have a corrupt media (both sides) it’s nearly checkmate, no?

Because of that and the fact that the vast majority of people are turned off from having a conversation with the other side, I just don’t think it’s fixable. I think we’re too far gone as a country. It’s just my opinion, but when the National 6pm news is extremely one sided and more importantly refuses to investigate their own, what is the purpose of trying? Why is our news picking sides to begin with? Don’t we all hate corruption regardless of party?
Idk I feel like there’s plenty of discussion to be had. I don’t think the round table is a good measure of it considering the quantity of uneducated Maga jabronis, but there is plenty of healthy discourse between the non-fringe elements on here, as well as in real life.

Edit: but I do believe the media is exacerbating the issue tremendously. That and social media “journalism” are causing the divide to get wider.

Reactions: yoshi121374
Idk I feel like there’s plenty of discussion to be had. I don’t think the round table is a good measure of it considering the quantity of uneducated Maga jabronis, but there is plenty of healthy discourse between the non-fringe elements on here, as well as in real life.

Edit: but I do believe the media is exacerbating the issue tremendously. That and social media “journalism” are causing the divide to get wider.

Oh yes. The leftward folks here are so reasonable. That's just a ridiculous statement if you're not going to be intellectually honest about what happens here. It's a two-way street.

Reactions: TigerGrowls
ALEC is writing the NC supermajority gop house their budget bill for them while they are all on vacation together in Orlando. Nvm that they were supposed to pass one in January. Nope time for a two week vacation with lobbiests who will do theor jobs for them.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT