When China Attacks Taiwan Do we defend it or just let China Take It

PalmettoTiger1

The Jack Dunlap Club
Gold Member
Jan 25, 2009
I am all in on a shooting war if needed

Not because we need to defend Taiwan but because we are next on the menu

What say the rest of you guys

I think if Russia had succeeded in their ploy in Ukraine, China would have immediately gone for this play. Now that NATO reasserted itself, not so sure it happens in the next couple of years. Now, if we continue to destabilize as a nation because our hyperpartisanship goes off the rails, then yah they will do it in 2026 or roundabouts. Think about if we sanction China, it would kill em.

Reactions: 97ClemsonMac
Would you want your child to die in order to defend Taiwan? That’s a no thanks for me.

We should defend our own soil and stop trying to be the world police.
The long game for China is to start with Taiwan

They will not stop there

They are coming for America

Id be surprised if they did but would probably depend on broader regional/global response. We dont lead from the front anymore. Japan/aussie reactions as well as european sentiment would dictate whether or not we sent taiwan billion dollar first aid kits or sent the heavies. The latter is ww3 and china / russia create their own axis…europe then gets squeezed because siding with us means no energy and opec countries unlikely to be friendly. Resources arent in our favor over time and neither are raw numbers. Of course theres the MAD factor if nukes were used.

kind of interesting geopolitical game theory discussion to how things unfold but god help us all if it ever became more than discussion. No one wins. I think that unavoidable end game no matter what happens keeps everyone relatively in line. Just really hope im right on that - and that im right on china not moving on taiwan. What worries me most is how quickly things can escalate from an initial move of aggression. So yea, just do your little military circus in the ocean china and go home to make stuff we never stop buying no matter how sht the quality is

Reactions: OleFastball
I am all in on a shooting war if needed

Not because we need to defend Taiwan but because we are next on the menu

What say the rest of you guys
With the amount of military hardware and soldiers that are stationed near Taiwan then some of them will get involved and probably killed right at the start so it will probably be considered a declaration of war by default when/if it happens. For the record, I do not support the US defending Taiwan. With where China is now militarily and considering the logistics then they can take Taiwan whether we try to stop them or not. I saw some analyst say they have been war gaming this scenario for years and the US loses if it happens. We might need to worry about defending the west coast from China at some point if it continues the way it us.

I did, pretty sure my brain works better than yours based on your posts on a football message board.

Pretty sure!

I do admire people who have confidence and to be clear Chris created this sidebar so people like you and I stay off the Serious football side of the site.

So after the admonishment on my intellectual standing I will crawl back into my Armadillo shell and sulk.

On the football side of it I don’t post many threads because I have over the years developed a lot of contacts and tend to listen in private and public conversations along with using this site.

So o get an earful about sports from many universities.

Pretty sure!

I do admire people who have confidence and to be clear Chris created this sidebar so people like you and I stay off the Serious football side of the site.

So after the admonishment on my intellectual standing I will crawl back into my Armadillo shell and sulk.

On the football side of it I don’t post many threads because I have over the years developed a lot of contacts and tend to listen in private and public conversations along with using this site.

So o get an earful about sports from many universities.
I agree China is playing the long game but I feel the next world war, which has probably already started, will be fought with computers and propaganda as opposed to weapons. The fact that the two sides in this country continue to attack one another over mostly petty issues as opposed to working together to solve real problems such as addressing the National debt plays right into the hands of our enemies.

I agree China is playing the long game but I feel the next world war, which has probably already started, will be fought with computers and propaganda as opposed to weapons. The fact that the two sides in this country continue to attack one another over mostly petty issues as opposed to working together to solve real problems such as addressing the National debt plays right into the hands of our enemies.
You cant win the war with just that though. I dont disagree thats the way it more likely tracks, with the goal of creating geopolitical alliances that monopolize critical resources and suffocate the other side economically. The issue is a war isnt over until your enemy says it is. And i just cant see the side getting economically suffocated with hostility being willing to say surrender to the other side.

This shows how overpowered Taiwan alone is in the fight... I think given Pelosi's visit (which I did support and still think was the right thing) and how that was received by Taiwan, I almost feel like we would be obliged to jump in and help them. Just feel like that would be a really weak look to go there and say we stand with you, then when push comes to shove with the Chinese, we tuck our tail between our legs and do nothing

Lol. China will take Taiwan when they want it.
Really? Then why haven't they taken it yet?

I assume you have a wealth of experience in the logistics on executing an amphibious assault and understand the challenges of the Taiwanese shoreline presents.

Reactions: WapPride

I assume you have a wealth of experience in the logistics on executing an amphibious assault and understand the challenges of the Taiwanese shoreline presents.

Harpoons shore based would be deadly

Para drop and try to take an air field

I don’t know the geographic lay of the land but you seem to know it and they would have to take a harbor to unload troops and supplies and that would be very difficult not to take an ass whipping with long range missiles

China would have a VERY HARD time ever taking Taiwan even if we didn't help. It's not a place suited for amphibious assault.
I Taiwan was part of the mainland, absolutely. I'm not sure that they can pull off the logistics necessary to land and supply enough forces to do it... That would make the DDay invasion look like child's play. They'd probably lose enough troops to be REALLY worried about India.

Conventional military wisdom says an attacking force needs to outnumber the defenders 3:1 to have a good chance of winning. A very quick search says Taiwan can field close the 500K troops if they had to. So you are looking at fielding and supplying 1.5 million men to get the job done. An equally quick search says China's standing army is 2 million men. Could China send 3/4 of it's army out as an expiditionary force? I'm skeptical.

We are watching the Russians struggle now. I'm assuming the Chinese are much better, but hauling that force across water is a LOT harder too.

Last edited:
Reactions: TigerGrowls

Lol. No one said it would be a cake walk, but China is one of the two best militaries in the world. They will take Taiwan when they want it. Doesn’t mean there won’t be a cost to it. I don’t need experience in logistics to know that.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT