ADVERTISEMENT

Churches continue to be a dangerous place for children

Its so exhausting talking those that buy into the hysteria back off the cliff. The problem is the narratives are extremely dangerous as they could lead to actual oppression of Americans.

Best saying I've heard this week," You can't have a logical discussion with people who didn't come to the discussion with logic"

Its a naive folly but sometimes you change minds. The gay marriage discussion on TI in 2012 was quite lively.

I actually did change one of my friends minds about gay marriage back in the day. Just pointed out the inequalities legally, as well as some examples of adopted children and rights. Truly proud of my friend for changing his views, and saw again one of the reasons dude is a good friend. We don't have to agree on everything,just be willing to change your positions when you learn more. When you know better you usually do better.

Here’s an organization that specifically targets children ages 4-14 because this is when they are most impressionable and likely to accept religious teachings. They’re literally grooming children for a lifetime of believing outright falsehoods and holding a warped world view based on fiction and myth. Religion poisons everything.

Its so exhausting talking those that buy into the hysteria back off the cliff. The problem is the narratives are extremely dangerous as they could lead to actual oppression of Americans.
You're absolutely correct. I hate to give any oxygen to the long running Trans thread but take a look at the disgusting post OleFastball added there this morning. I'm starting to think he wants LGBTQ people to be killed at this point.

Reactions: firegiver
I actually did change one of my friends minds about gay marriage back in the day. Just pointed out the inequalities legally, as well as some examples of adopted children and rights. Truly proud of my friend for changing his views, and saw again one of the reasons dude is a good friend. We don't have to agree on everything,just be willing to change your positions when you learn more. When you know better you usually do better.
My mind was changed about gay people adopting when I was in my early 20s. I had some dumbass opinion that gay people made the choice to be gay so if they wanted kids just be straight. We all learn and grow. But somehow the media apparatas has framed this as flip flopping and weakness. Theres nothing stronger than learning new information and changing your mind on issues. That is growth. The antithesis is zealotry.

My mind was changed about gay people adopting when I was in my early 20s. I had some dumbass opinion that gay people made the choice to be gay so if they wanted kids just be straight. We all learn and grow. But somehow the media apparatas has framed this as flip flopping and weakness. Theres nothing stronger than learning new information and changing your mind on issues. That is growth. The antithesis is zealotry.

Totally agree, hopefully all of us change opinions and grow as we get new experiences, meet new people, etc.

My thoughts around homosexuality changed when my cousin came out, and I knew a lesbian couple who adopted a child, after 10 years together with their daughter, one of the couple got terminal Breast Cancer. Because the laws at the time didn't allow same sex couples to be married or adopt, the child was in the sick parents custody. While dealing with death of a spouse/parent, they had to deal with changing custody and courts so the child didn't get taken and put into foster care. It was one of the most awful things I ever saw.

You're absolutely correct. I hate to give any oxygen to the long running Trans thread but take a look at the disgusting post OleFastball added there this morning. I'm starting to think he wants LGBTQ people to be killed at this point.

There are a few of these guys on here that frankly I just can't argue with anymore. They don't live in the real world and have been poisoned by Social Media/Right Wing propaganda that they believe in a fantasy scary world that just isn't real.

I have tried to be logical and counter the falsehoods, but it just doesn't work. I just hope for their sake they aren't like this in their day to day life. My guess is many of them are retired and mostly stay at home, or with their friends who think like them.

Reactions: dpic73
Unfortunately, we’ve inculcated a social-political environment in this country where team is placed above all and there is no room for nuance or growth and changing of positions. Frankly, I think the vast majority of this country is moderate and has the same ultimate goals with some variance among how they think it best to achieve those. But, both sides have been hijacked by the absolute worst, most vocal hardliners that the prevailing sentiment is that productive dialogue is impossible and futile. The sooner we marginalize our nut jobs and get back to focusing on individual liberty, fiscal responsibility, and expanding economic opportunity and mobility for the many, the sooner we enter a more positive era in this country. That’s a simplification, but by and large what most people ultimately want - economic opportunity and the ability to provide a life for themselves and family, and then freedom to live their lives how they see fit without state over involvement.

Unfortunately, we’ve inculcated a social-political environment in this country where team is placed above all and there is no room for nuance or growth and changing of positions. Frankly, I think the vast majority of this country is moderate and has the same ultimate goals with some variance among how they think it best to achieve those. But, both sides have been hijacked by the absolute worst, most vocal hardliners that the prevailing sentiment is that productive dialogue is impossible and futile. The sooner we marginalize our nut jobs and get back to focusing on individual liberty, fiscal responsibility, and expanding economic opportunity and mobility for the many, the sooner we enter a more positive era in this country. That’s a simplification, but by and large what most people ultimately want - economic opportunity and the ability to provide a life for themselves and family, and then freedom to live their lives how they see fit without state over involvement.

100%. Great post.

There are a few of these guys on here that frankly I just can't argue with anymore. They don't live in the real world and have been poisoned by Social Media/Right Wing propaganda that they believe in a fantasy scary world that just isn't real.

I have tried to be logical and counter the falsehoods, but it just doesn't work. I just hope for their sake they aren't like this in their day to day life. My guess is many of them are retired and mostly stay at home, or with their friends who think like them.
I think he's indoctrinated in the right-wing propaganda as well, but something tells me he knows better but just doesn't give a damn. He sees this as the surest path to influence elections since he knows how hated Trump is. And since Trump offers nothing to most Americans other than his promise to destroy us, he knows there will be no benefit for most if Trump is elected so it's all about defaming the other side over culture war issues.

What's exhausting is listening to the Marxist rhetoric. You people just don't have a clue what you have in this country. If you desire what the Chinese, Russians, and North Koreans have, then just move your stupid sorry asses over there. The bad thing for you dumb asses is they would put you in prison for your WOKE and LBGT-Q ideology. You love communists, but they don't love you!!!

I don't know what pronoun you use, but I choose to make dumbass your pronoun. You are probably one of those drag queens preying on young kids. I don't know where your handle 'firegiver' came from, but I'd like to start a fire with you... 😆

What's exhausting is listening to the Marxist rhetoric. You people just don't have a clue what you have in this country. If you desire what the Chinese, Russians, and North Koreans have, then just move your stupid sorry asses over there. The bad thing for you dumb asses is they would put you in prison for your WOKE and LBGT-Q ideology. You love communists, but they don't love you!!!

I don't know what pronoun you use, but I choose to make dumbass your pronoun. You are probably one of those drag queens preying on young kids. I don't know where your handle 'firegiver' came from, but I'd like to start a fire with you... 😆
You sound so confused and upset over things i just am not. You might need to move to russia to escape lgbtq seems more a fit for you to live where the state oppresses those you dislike.

Don’t worry, the victims will get a better shot next go around when they live in the sky with the faeries

That’s only if they accept the lord as their savior. After being raped by clergy.
Beyond it being a bunch of mystical gobbledygook, it sure as hell aint loving either. Born sick, commanded to be well by a cosmic dictator. I'll pass

Beyond it being a bunch of mystical gobbledygook, it sure as hell aint loving either. Born sick, commanded to be well by a cosmic dictator. I'll pass
But they have solid proof! I mean, how could you confuse coincidence and random luck with a greater creator who put us all in place for a good reason and listens to 7 billion prayers a day. Remember these are the guys who figured out voting statistics just a couple years ago and epidemiology just shortly before that. They can do anything.

I pray for your hardened heart.
The clouds aren’t listening.

Ask yourself this. How many people have starved to death, or watched as a loved one was butchered before their eyes, or toiled in misery as peasants, and pleaded for god (or the gods) to intervene and to help them, if no other reason than to ease their suffering? You know what the answer from your god was? Nothing. Don’t worry pal, you’ll get a better chance next go around. It’s all part of the plan. Your god is either powerless to do anything about it, or elects not to. In either case, why call him god.

God didn’t create man. Man created god, and it shows

Last edited:
The clouds aren’t listening.

Ask yourself this. How many people have starved to death, or watched as a loved one was butchered before their eyes, or toiled in misery as peasants, and pleaded for god (or the gods) to intervene and to help them, if no other reason than to ease their suffering? You know what the answer from your god was? Nothing. Don’t worry pal, you’ll get a better chance next go around. It’s all part of the plan. Your god is either powerless to do anything about it, or elects not to. In either case, why call him god.

God didn’t create man. Man created god, and it shows
God created the universe along with man and woman. We all suffer due to what happened in the garden of Eden. I agree that bad things happen to good people but it all goes back to sin. I’m not implying that good people deserve bad outcomes. God had other plans for those and if they are believers, they are in a much better place. He is all powerful and always in control. Your last sentence is foolishness and shows why we are going down the wrong path. Self centeredness is will be our demise.

Not a drag queen

LoL I'd take one look at that guy and say nope. I'm so happy that my daughter decided on her own when she was 12 that organized religion was total hogwash.

As I have said many times, I'm a Christian and work at a Church. That said, many of these churches need to do a much better job with oversight, background checks, and frankly not allowing inappropriate access to children.

We have folks on here attacking schools and teachers when allowing their pastors far,far more access to their children. Teachers have been vetted,they have had background checks,they are frequently observed. Pastors in many,many small churches have not, you know,cause they love Jesus.

Reactions: SDTiger9
My favorite part of all these terrible people is the JUSTIFICATION and/or DERIVED EMPATHY to the offender based upon what team he plays for.

The greatest mistake organized religion continues to make is not outwardly casting the evil it produces knowing and unknowingly. The notion of “religious” forgiveness and repentance is a form of enablement and it drives good people away from the potential good it may have in store for an interested soul.

It is ok to pass judgment on evil and to destroy it for the sake of humanity. Why? Because it’s the only way to actually teach evil a lesson and aid in the minimization in the future. Constantly kissing an evil doers ass is just what the doctor ordered for these terrible souls yet some faiths want them as repeat customers by enabling them.

Sure it’s noble to aid poor souls to “help” them. But this revolving door cancer actually destroys faith by never standing up and casting it aside. It’s why evil persists and the argument can be made Christians prefer evil.

My favorite part of all these terrible people is the JUSTIFICATION and/or DERIVED EMPATHY to the offender based upon what team he plays for.

The greatest mistake organized religion continues to make is not outwardly casting the evil it produces knowing and unknowingly. The notion of “religious” forgiveness and repentance is a form of enablement and it drives good people away from the potential good it may have in store for an interested soul.

It is ok to pass judgment on evil and to destroy it for the sake of humanity. Why? Because it’s the only way to actually teach evil a lesson and aid in the minimization in the future. Constantly kissing an evil doers ass is just what the doctor ordered for these terrible souls yet some faiths want them as repeat customers by enabling them.

Sure it’s noble to aid poor souls to “help” them. But this revolving door cancer actually destroys faith by never standing up and casting it aside. It’s why evil persists and the argument can be made Christians prefer evil.
Power corrupts but also corrupt people seek power. Becoming a church leader allows you the opportunity to abuse people. The power structure is set up that way. So it makes a lot of sense that pedophiles exploit it.

Power corrupts but also corrupt people seek power. Becoming a church leader allows you the opportunity to abuse people. The power structure is set up that way. So it makes a lot of sense that pedophiles exploit it.
Evolution and the search for the truth resides within science and math. (Just reflect back on COVID and how the pursuit and lack of honesty in science and math stopped within the last 3-4 years and how many religious folks railed against and rightfully so against this practice.)

Yet.

Religion……. the search ended 1900+ years ago and now perpetually waiting for “something” to represent the second coming based upon text writing in Arabic and Hebrew. Passed down by word of mouth and translated in different languages and passages forgotten.

I have a tremendous amount of respect for the many solid life lessons religion provides. But the lack of interest to challenge expectations and the wrongdoings time and time again is exactly why we have so many divisions of Christianity and similar faiths. And constantly producing wars TODAY over stories told 2000 years ago. Pathetic.

God has to be sad and steaming mad that the intelligence bestowed upon us and we reward him railing on perceptions from eons ago. Why and when did we determine that the Bible was finished? What Editor said “pencils down, FOREVER?” Pretty obnoxious that there isn’t more to tell and the prior script to be challenge.

In many ways religious fanaticism is like DEI today. Selecting concepts and ideas that fit a narrative. Pursuit of honesty and truth be damned.

Signed,
A Catholic Scholar and Once Devout Follower

And if you actually want to know the Catholic Church actually supports challenging history, just take the time to learn about the persecution of Galileo.

That 400 years later to admit wrongdoing and that there is more to discover.

If you are willing to admit to errors in judgement and history, then that means there is more to challenge and uncover. It isn’t heresy. It isn’t a lack of faith. It’s a pursuit of truth.

There are 3 possibilities:

1) God isn’t actually all knowing or all powerful

2) God is all knowing and all powerful and willfully chooses to allow children to be sexually abused

3) God doesn’t actually exist

Which is most likely?
The Biblical answer is clear that God is all knowing and all powerful. The problem of evil and such evil as described in the linked articles is an understandable objection to either the existence, sovereignty, or goodness of God. A Christian should not ignore that common objection but seek to address it.

The Bible is clear that God alone is Creator and upholds and sustains the universe. The best description of the Bible's teaching IMO is the Question #5 of the 17th century Westminster Shorter Catechism: To the question, "What is God", the answer given is "God is a spirit, infinite, eternal, and unchangeable in his being, wisdom, power, holiness, goodness, justice, and truth"

All Christians are not Reformed Presbyterians/Baptists etc. , yet I would argue that my faith/views are indeed logical according to the teaching of Scripture. Since God is infinitely holy and we are finite human beings, it does seem logical that God can have reasons for allowing suffering/evil of which we will not understand (not my original idea). The death of Christ is an example of God ordaining suffering to accomplish the end of atoning for the sins of those united to Christ through faith. Yet for many of us and in many cases we do not immediately see or can imagine any possible good coming from such abuses as linked in these articles...and indeed it does seem terrible to even admit that "good" can come from such evil. Yet Scripture is clear that God hates evil and the evil doer. It is also clear that all of us have sinned and fallen short of His glory. Though all sin violates the holiness of God and deserves his just judgment, some sins are more heinous than others. But yes, God hates these sins and will judge the evildoer. At the same time He cares for the downcast and oppressed ones despite what they or you/I feel. As hard as it seems to them or us, they too are called to turn to Christ and though their worldly life has sucked, life more abundant offered to them, not always in this life but certainly in the life to come...at this point many will stop listening...but that is the clear teaching of Scripture.

God has chosen to redeem some and left others to perish in their sins. Those who perish in their sins receive justice and those who trust in Christ are saved by grace and mercy. In all of this, we have free will and responsibility to turn from unbelief and receive Christ as Redeemer and Lord...How does such teaching as God's holiness, sovereignty, election/ Man's free will exactly work... as one pastors said, "I don't know and neither does anyone else". My point is that both seeming paradoxes are taught in Scripture and it is logical that finite minds would not understand the infinite mind of God.

Many will laugh and want no part of Christianity. Yet I must contend that it is no more illogical than thinking that our ability to write, reason, argue over the internet, love, hate, and all that makes us human...all of that originated from nothing and billion of years of chance, evolution...I see design and think Creator...others think other things...but there are consequences to what side of the fence we land on if the Bible is true.

And yes, earthly churches have provided too many examples of corrupt people who are not part of the true Church of Christ, but predators who have brought reproach on the name of Christ. Earthly churches must learn from this to purify themselves and protect against such evil, but don't throw out the whole institution with the bath water.

Exactly. That's why I don't actually immediately freak out when a politician flip flops. Nothing wrong in changing your mind when you realize you were wrong. I can't say I love folks changing their mind just b/c most folks think another way, but IMHO, that's actually OK for a politician as well. After all, it's his JOB to represent the will of the folks that elected him, not to carry out his own personal agenda.

The Biblical answer is clear that God is all knowing and all powerful. The problem of evil and such evil as described in the linked articles is an understandable objection to either the existence, sovereignty, or goodness of God. A Christian should not ignore that common objection but seek to address it.

The Bible is clear that God alone is Creator and upholds and sustains the universe. The best description of the Bible's teaching IMO is the Question #5 of the 17th century Westminster Shorter Catechism: To the question, "What is God", the answer given is "God is a spirit, infinite, eternal, and unchangeable in his being, wisdom, power, holiness, goodness, justice, and truth"

All Christians are not Reformed Presbyterians/Baptists etc. , yet I would argue that my faith/views are indeed logical according to the teaching of Scripture. Since God is infinitely holy and we are finite human beings, it does seem logical that God can have reasons for allowing suffering/evil of which we will not understand (not my original idea). The death of Christ is an example of God ordaining suffering to accomplish the end of atoning for the sins of those united to Christ through faith. Yet for many of us and in many cases we do not immediately see or can imagine any possible good coming from such abuses as linked in these articles...and indeed it does seem terrible to even admit that "good" can come from such evil. Yet Scripture is clear that God hates evil and the evil doer. It is also clear that all of us have sinned and fallen short of His glory. Though all sin violates the holiness of God and deserves his just judgment, some sins are more heinous than others. But yes, God hates these sins and will judge the evildoer. At the same time He cares for the downcast and oppressed ones despite what they or you/I feel. As hard as it seems to them or us, they too are called to turn to Christ and though their worldly life has sucked, life more abundant offered to them, not always in this life but certainly in the life to come...at this point many will stop listening...but that is the clear teaching of Scripture.

God has chosen to redeem some and left others to perish in their sins. Those who perish in their sins receive justice and those who trust in Christ are saved by grace and mercy. In all of this, we have free will and responsibility to turn from unbelief and receive Christ as Redeemer and Lord...How does such teaching as God's holiness, sovereignty, election/ Man's free will exactly work... as one pastors said, "I don't know and neither does anyone else". My point is that both seeming paradoxes are taught in Scripture and it is logical that finite minds would not understand the infinite mind of God.

Many will laugh and want no part of Christianity. Yet I must contend that it is no more illogical than thinking that our ability to write, reason, argue over the internet, love, hate, and all that makes us human...all of that originated from nothing and billion of years of chance, evolution...I see design and think Creator...others think other things...but there are consequences to what side of the fence we land on if the Bible is true.

And yes, earthly churches have provided too many examples of corrupt people who are not part of the true Church of Christ, but predators who have brought reproach on the name of Christ. Earthly churches must learn from this to purify themselves and protect against such evil, but don't throw out the whole institution with the bath water.
You make a fair assessment with a key failure.

Whether it be school, gas stations, pizza shops or churches, each of them are responsible to a proper code of conduct.

If schools are not teaching, gas stations pumping water, pizza using fake cheese and churches enabling or covering up fraudulent activity……. they all deserve the consequences coming to them.

Surely, owners/leadership has a shot at reform and changes but it can’t be for long.
Harvard made the President change, pizza Yelp ratings, churches need to cast out evil and express integrity at all cost.

I am a confident soul that lives a positive influence on others. I no longer have faith in the brick and mortar institution to do that. If the stewards of Christ truly want to make a difference, quit enabling, quit making excuses. If that’s not the cause, continue to expect to hear from another world of people who don’t trust your mission. It fails too many times. And hence the 45,000 Christian varieties. Cast the TRUE evil, not those who question.

And if you actually want to know the Catholic Church actually supports challenging history, just take the time to learn about the persecution of Galileo.

That 400 years later to admit wrongdoing and that there is more to discover.

If you are willing to admit to errors in judgement and history, then that means there is more to challenge and uncover. It isn’t heresy. It isn’t a lack of faith. It’s a pursuit of truth.
I completely agree with you. The Church has much to apologize for ... the Crusades, corruption, sexual misdeeds ... it is almost as if it is led by humans! And I don't argue the point you make about the Bible literally being a closed book. Hard to imagine there have not been prophets (and I am not including Joel Osteen as one!) in the past 2000 years or so.

I am a practicing Catholic who generally believes my faith can be summed up by trying to love your neighbor and live by the Sermon on the Mount. (Lord knows I can do better on both of those tenets.) I don't overlook the errors of the clerics of my faith (and when those errors do substantial harm to an individual or group of people, law enforcement should step in to resolve matters) but neither is my faith destroyed because of them.

This is an awfully long post just to tell me that God chooses to allow children to be sexually abused and that you think this God is worthy of being worshipped.

This is an awfully long post just to tell me that God chooses to allow children to be sexually abused and that you think this God is worthy of being worshipped.
questioning god hurts his feelings, he's got big emotions. The Abrahamic god is on record endorsing slavery, genocide and pedophilia (I think by todays standards everyone agrees 12 year old is a child). I think its ok to assume his followers will fall in line.

That is a short post to tell me you are probably not up for respectful dialogue. The reality is that being a Christian doesn’t force someone to give up their mind or logical ability to reason but does force him to give up his pride and choose not to bow to the limits of his finite understanding and self love. Logic and faith are not mutually exclusive as there are plenty of faith-based leaps in the alternative worldview. You are a smart guy and your points are taken but you don’t know the God of the Bible as he is much bigger, holier, gracious, and loving than you realize. His wisdom is much greater than yours or mine. The cases you keep posting are awful but those are people abusing the name of God and not indicative of His true character.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT