ADVERTISEMENT

Churches continue to be a dangerous place for children

That is a short post to tell me you are probably not up for respectful dialogue. The reality is that being a Christian doesn’t force someone to give up their mind or logical ability to reason but does force him to give up his pride and choose not to bow to the limits of his finite understanding and self love. Logic and faith are not mutually exclusive as there are plenty of faith-based leaps in the alternative worldview. You are a smart guy and your points are taken but you don’t know the God of the Bible as he is much bigger, holier, gracious, and loving than you realize. His wisdom is much greater than yours or mine. The cases you keep posting are awful but those are people abusing the name of God and not indicative of His true character.
You just called a diety that you readily admit chooses to allow children to be sexually abused “big, holy, gracious, and loving.” Why would I want to have a respectful dialogue with someone who believes that?

Last edited:
That is a short post to tell me you are probably not up for respectful dialogue. The reality is that being a Christian doesn’t force someone to give up their mind or logical ability to reason but does force him to give up his pride and choose not to bow to the limits of his finite understanding and self love. Logic and faith are not mutually exclusive as there are plenty of faith-based leaps in the alternative worldview. You are a smart guy and your points are taken but you don’t know the God of the Bible as he is much bigger, holier, gracious, and loving than you realize. His wisdom is much greater than yours or mine. The cases you keep posting are awful but those are people abusing the name of God and not indicative of His true character.
there's a greater good for child rape? you're fvcking sick

there's a greater good for child rape? you're fvcking sick
Truly sorry if that is what you got from that. In an effort to show that it is logical to think that an infinite God can have reasons for allowing events that our finite minds might not understand, it is really insensitive to put it the way you just mentioned. I assume we have very different beliefs but easily agree that those reports or abuse are beyond evil and want severe judgment for the perpetrator. Tough to imagine any good coming from that. Nonetheless the Bible does say all things work together for the good of those who love God…the good it mentions is in the Believer knowing God and being sanctified more in holiness…that truth is meant to comfort the Christian…but again I don’t want to mention a greater good in those awful events because truly for the Non Christian, it is almost impossible to imagine any “good” from it…yet the Christian does have the promise of Romans 8:28 even in horrible worldly circumstances. That truth is still to be handled with care though as any victim of abuse doesn’t need Bible verses thumped at them…the verses can and will comfort in time…but the psychological healing may never fully recover in this life.

• Love
Reactions: AugTig
Nothing says love quite like condemning me to burn in hell forever for refusing to go along with this garbage.

Born sick, commanded to be well.

Give it enough time and your deity of choice will meet the same fate as Ra, Zeus, and Quetzalcoatl. Extinction

Nothing says love quite like condemning me to burn in hell forever for refusing to go along with this garbage.

Born sick, commanded to be well.

Give it enough time and your deity of choice will meet the same fate as Ra, Zeus, and Quetzalcoatl. Extinction
Centuries from now humans will look back and laugh at how we were so primitive as to allow myths to dominate our lives and our laws

Centuries from now humans will look back and laugh at how we were so primitive as to allow myths to dominate our lives and our laws
All relics of our humble beginnings. And now that we know why lightning strikes, why we fall ill with disease, why the sun rises and sets each day, and so on without reference to mythical crap, the religious say, well would you look at how wonderful and complex god's creation is!

The non-falsifiability of a claim isn't an asset. It's a defect.

I completely agree with you. The Church has much to apologize for ... the Crusades, corruption, sexual misdeeds ... it is almost as if it is led by humans! And I don't argue the point you make about the Bible literally being a closed book. Hard to imagine there have not been prophets (and I am not including Joel Osteen as one!) in the past 2000 years or so.

I am a practicing Catholic who generally believes my faith can be summed up by trying to love your neighbor and live by the Sermon on the Mount. (Lord knows I can do better on both of those tenets.) I don't overlook the errors of the clerics of my faith (and when those errors do substantial harm to an individual or group of people, law enforcement should step in to resolve matters) but neither is my faith destroyed because of them.
My faith isn’t destroyed either. But I will not subscribe to a community who openly admits to drawing a wrong conclusion and unwilling to go in other areas because it’s “uncomfortable”.

Why? Why stop the pursuit?

If faith is so powerful, then there should be no fear in exploration. You can’t selectively choose what errors of the past are or aren’t acceptable.

(The old adage about not discussing politics and religion when I was a kid fascinated me.)

Why? Why these 2 subjects?

Well, it’s clear as day. It’s these 2 areas where people will lie, cheat, fabricate, persuade, dig in all in a sake of holding up an argument. And for what?

Fear. Fear that there is more to learn, more to uncover, more prophets, fear that they might be wrong.

COVID has been the greatest mind binding event in the last 100 years. We have been on an incredible, iterative exploration in science. Yet, when a global virus hit us ONCE AGAIN like they do every year and upon a slight mathematical uptick to HEALTHY, and people under 60 years old once we discovered the impacts, we let politics dictate our decision making to a perverse level that made zero sense. Country by country, state by state.
WHAT THE FVCK?

How can you take ANYONE seriously subscribing to any of that?

The Age of Enlightenment, the greatest achievement be damned too many times for selfish convenience.

It’s not that religion and politics shouldn’t be discussed. It’s that people are unwilling to be forthright. And it’s fvckin sad because it’s usually pride killing society because of it.

Reactions: firegiver
Bump for @PalmettoTiger1

giphy.gif

Good luck. Prayers that you will find Jesus before your days are done.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT