ADVERTISEMENT

⚖️ MURDAUGH MURDERS & TRIAL THREAD ⚖️

Millions of dollars that he said he didn't have, correct?

How the hell did the firm repay all of their clients and say afloat. That's a hell of a slush fund.

well as they go through the financials it seems to prove they did pay it. And it was the partners all chipping in and not just a slush fund. More of a cover their ass fund because clients were not paid

Reactions: tallulahtiger30319
I have not followed this very closely so i dont know all the evidence. That said, I understand that he lied about not being there earlier that night and the cell phone location and video puts him there and then the fact he had different clothes on when police arrived. I dont know what to do with that other than be led to believe he killed them.
This is the big question to me. We know he was there and he lied about it. The question to me is does the prosecution have to absolutely prove he pulled the triggers. He probably walks if that is the case.

Or can it be that he is guilty by being there. Kind of like 2 dudes robbed a convenience store and 1 killed the cashier. They are both guilty of murder because they were involved in a crime that someone was killed.

I guess it will all come down to closing arguments and the judges instructions on what it takes to find him guilty of murder.

Last edited:
well as they go through the financials it seems to prove they did pay it. And it was the partners all chipping in and not just a slush fund. More of a cover their ass fund because clients were not paid
That's what I'm saying. It's not pennies we are talking about. That's life changing money they are pooling together to save the "firm".

Reactions: nmerritt11
Millions of dollars that he said he didn't have, correct?

How the hell did the firm repay all of their clients and say afloat. That's a hell of a slush fund.
I was wondering that. Then I multiplied the number of lawyers by the amount testified about annual bonuses. And it comes down to a bit of pain per lawyer for a year or two.
This firm handled torts from all over the nation because it’s known all over the nation that Hampton County is where you want to be. CSX crossing suits were all there regardless of where they happened. Due to a quirk in the law allowing it since the tracks went there. And I heard Walmart wouldn’t put a store there because of that. Some of those laws have been modified and it sounds like they are doing more local cases. But Hampton is where you want your suit if possible. This firm was a big part of all that.

I was wondering that. Then I multiplied the number of lawyers by the amount testified about annual bonuses. And it comes down to a bit of pain per lawyer for a year or two.
This firm handled torts from all over the nation because it’s known all over the nation that Hampton County is where you want to be. CSX crossing suits were all there regardless of where they happened. Due to a quirk in the law allowing it since the tracks went there. And I heard Walmart wouldn’t put a store there because of that. Some of those laws have been modified and it sounds like they are doing more local cases. But Hampton is where you want your suit if possible. This firm was a big part of all that.
Also, Palmetto State Bank paid some of the losses involving them. As well, it is only the amounts stolen from clients, not the fees he stole from the firm. I don't know the number but it seems like it was 5-7M (client funds only) so I'm sure they could have pooled together the money, given how much they were making.

Reactions: MisterSlappy
I think this could go either way unless there is some more hard murder related evidence. Like asking the caregiver to lie.
If he is acquitted I will feel better knowing he still won’t ever likely see freedom due to the 99 other charges that are basically a slam dunk.
As to the murder, if he is acquitted, to me it will be like OJ. A widespread public assumption of guilt. And zero effort of further investigation by law enforcement.

Reactions: Every name taken
The issue of life insurance for kids seems odd to me too. I know the manner in which such products have been sold and I think I understand the potential tax benefits, but........

Kids have no real debt and no obligations to protect. And in my view it makes no sense to buy life insurance on a child for investment purposes. I think there are much better ways to invest money than purchasing lifetime insurance. Since I think that, I think people with money should be unlikely to buy life insurance for kids or to need to be able to drum up cash out of an insurance policy.

The insurance companies have done a masterful job of marketing and influencing the law makers to the greatest advantage for the life insurance industry. Or so I think.

Buy Term. I think you get more that way if you live a long time OR if you die young.
I agree, I am not "wealthy" but I have never had life insurance on my kids. Number 1, I always had enough money for a funeral in case something bad happened and Number 2, there are MUCH better investments than life insurance. I don't even have life insurance on myself or my wife. If something happened to one of us we have saved enough over the years that would would b perfectly fine.

Reactions: PawsFan_
My wife, who's a school teacher, and I had an interesting chat with our family attorney. We asked about jury selection and education and occupation. I asked about school teachers. He said if he thought his client was guilt and was lying, he never wanted a teacher because they could always read a lie and heard many - my dog ate my homework. If his client was innocent, he liked teachers because they are stubborn and would stick to their opinion.
Hell, that's actually any woman. LOL

Reactions: east mallory
Just curious, since they are allowing the blue rain jacket testimony into evidence that has gun power residue on it, can they do something similar to DNA testing on the powder to determine if it was the same powder found on the bodies? I would guess DNA only applies to living items but was curious if all gun powder was identical or if it varies.

Just curious, since they are allowing the blue rain jacket testimony into evidence that has gun power residue on it, can they do something similar to DNA testing on the powder to determine if it was the same powder found on the bodies? I would guess DNA only applies to living items but was curious if all gun powder was identical or if it varies.
No idea. From TV (NCIS & the FBI shows) the gunshot residue test is pretty simple to show that there is GSR on something. I've never seen something where they can tell whether the GSR is a match to particular shells. It might be possible to match the % of compositions to a certain brand or existing shells. Much like they can match dirt on your shoes to a particular location. That's just me, as an engineer, thinking it could be possible.

Reactions: tallulahtiger30319
They can not testify to that.

On my farm is a shooting range where I and friends meet to shoot all kind of rifles, pistols, and shotguns at paper targets. Many of my pants, shirts, and jackets will have gun powder residue on them, if tested by SLED. If someone was killed on my farm and since gun powder will be found on my clothes, am I guilty of killing someone? Now I think Alex did it, but can they PROVE that he did it? This reminds me of OJ. The plot thickens.

On my farm is a shooting range where I and friends meet to shoot all kind of rifles, pistols, and shotguns at paper targets. Many of my pants, shirts, and jackets will have gun powder residue on them, if tested by SLED. If someone was killed on my farm and since gun powder will be found on my clothes, am I guilty of killing someone? Now I think Alex did it, but can they PROVE that he did it? This reminds me of OJ. The plot thickens.
In the end it won’t matter.

That law was changed a few years back. My wife told me stories about being the sacrificial lamb in Hampton county when she was a "baby lawyer". Attorneys would wait in line to ask that their case be moved and their motion would be denied. She told me that once, her client had a good case and the judge brought her into chambers to strong her into a settlement.

In any case, the law was changed so that you have to bring suit where the basis of the suit occurred. My guess is that's when he started really stealing.

Does anyone have a good Twitter live feed for coverage of the trial?

I'm in training all day today and tomorrow and can't watch the trial (although I can listen the next day on a podcast that reboradcasts the entire day).

Does anyone have a good Twitter live feed for coverage of the trial?

I'm in training all day today and tomorrow and can't watch the trial (although I can listen the next day on a podcast that reboradcasts the entire day).

Not missing much currently. I have it on in my office and it is still the financial info about the fake forge stuff.

When all this came to light and I learned about PMPED office building being called "The House that CSX Built", it brought up some memories that finally made sense to me.

My uncle used to represent CSX as a large part of his business (don't know if he still does or not) but he used to always stop by our house in Spartanburg on his way to trials and investigative work for trials. He always talked about having to go back down to middle of nowhere SC. Come to find out it was Hampton and I always found it odd that he had to go down there. Needless to say he hasn't really gone back down there in a while, which makes sense with the law being changed regarding where you can file suit.

They didn't say, He dismissed the jury for a recess, then when they were gone he said to the public that they needed to leave.

I am actually surprised this has not already happened. Usually it is someone with a court date that they want to get our of (probably not what this one is). With all the publicity of this trial, some nut wants to join in

Over or under 5 hours before someone is arrested for the threat?

I worked as a law clerk for two judges during the three years I was in law school. One of the judges for whom I worked mainly handled criminal dockets. We had bomb threats 3-4 times per year.

Reactions: Tigerpaw00
Over or under 5 hours before someone is arrested for the threat?
Bomb threat last week at 2 HS's here in Richland County: Spring Valley and NE Richland I think. 15 year old was arrested by SLED within 24 hours of the second one.

My kids had two fire alarms and bomb threat at their high school this year. (plus three incidents with kids with a gun in school)

ADVERTISEMENT