ADVERTISEMENT

⚖️ MURDAUGH MURDERS & TRIAL THREAD ⚖️

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">BIG REVEAL IN LAFFITTE CASE: In her opening statement, prosecutor Emily Limehouse said that a PMPED lawyer confronted Alex Murdaugh about missing fees on JUNE 7, 2021 -- THE DAY OF THE MURDERS. <br>THAT IS A BIG DEAL.</p>&mdash; Mandy Matney (@MandyMatney) <a href="">November 8, 2022</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">BIG REVEAL IN LAFFITTE CASE: In her opening statement, prosecutor Emily Limehouse said that a PMPED lawyer confronted Alex Murdaugh about missing fees on JUNE 7, 2021 -- THE DAY OF THE MURDERS. <br>THAT IS A BIG DEAL.</p>&mdash; Mandy Matney (@MandyMatney) <a href=" ">November 8, 2022</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Reactions: MojitoJoe
The podcast on Wednesday was interesting, but the one they dropped this morning was horrible. As a journalist, Mandy and her team should give, or at least attempt to give, both sides of the story, and they are only giving one. It seems the issue in RF's case is if he knew what was happening when all of the people were defrauded, and proving intentional crimes vs. negligence seems like a tall order. Will be very interested to see how it all plays out.

Reactions: BigTimeTiger
Sounds like Russ may be going to prison for a while based on how his trial has gone. His defense has been bad but sounds like the prosecution team has done an A+ job with this. Thoughts for those who have kept up?

Reactions: yemassee
Sounds like Russ may be going to prison for a while based on how his trial has gone. His defense has been bad but sounds like the prosecution team has done an A+ job with this. Thoughts for those who have kept up?
I have not read anything that proves RL knew what was going on. My guess is he probably had an idea AM was up to some shady stuff but never asked any questions.

ABC in Charleston has a reporter live tweeting his testimony @drewtripp

Amazing to me that these executives all claim they knew nothing once shit goes south. Just like the scumbags at SCANA claiming they didn’t know the nuclear plant project was screwed. That’s what the giant salary is for is to know shit like this.

Reactions: BigTimeTiger
Prosecutor pulled the gloves off after they originally agreed to a proffer agreement but later on felt that he wasn't telling the truth.

I have not read anything that proves RL knew what was going on. My guess is he probably had an idea AM was up to some shady stuff but never asked any questions.
At best I think he "never asked any questions" wink wink nod nod. He testified, and it's no secret, that AM was a close friend as well as one of the bank's biggest and best clients (including PMPED). You don't just "not know" what's going on with your best and biggest accounts, I don't care what business or industry you're in.

At best I think he "never asked any questions" wink wink nod nod. He testified, and it's no secret, that AM was a close friend as well as one of the bank's biggest and best clients (including PMPED). You don't just "not know" what's going on with your best and biggest accounts, I don't care what business or industry you're in.
I doubt we ever know, but my question is did AM ever specifically tell RL that he was stealing money from clients and / or that the money he was depositing at the bank was stolen. My inclination is that conversation never happened, which I think is the basis of RL’s defense. Of course, he should probably serve time for not doing his job even if he honestly did not know what was happening.

The next trial is going to be the interesting one….if it happens.

I doubt we ever know, but my question is did AM ever specifically tell RL that he was stealing money from clients and / or that the money he was depositing at the bank was stolen. My inclination is that conversation never happened, which I think is the basis of RL’s defense. Of course, he should probably serve time for not doing his job even if he honestly did not know what was happening.

Agree with your assessment. AM's success in his alleged criminal enterprise depended on the small town good ole boy network and the reputation of his family. I don't think the scheme would have worked if a regular attorney tried it. Really feel for the Murdaugh family because I know they're probably many honest brokers in their flock.

I guess RL may have never known for a fact that it was stolen money but the negligence shown is astonishing. I could see the only thing that might keep Russ out of jail is the whole thing is so confusing that jurors may not fully understand. To be honest, I don’t even truly know what the charge is and what would just be considered unethical and/or negligent.

Russ was definitely not a good steward of the money entrusted to him, if you ask me.

I guess RL may have never known for a fact that it was stolen money but the negligence shown is astonishing. I could see the only thing that might keep Russ out of jail is the whole thing is so confusing that jurors may not fully understand. To be honest, I don’t even truly know what the charge is and what would just be considered unethical and/or negligent.

Russ was definitely not a good steward of the money entrusted to him, if you ask me.
I always thought the question was if it was gross negligence (seems like the best case scenario for RL) or knowingly participating in a scheme to steal money. How do you prove what’s in someone’s head if there is no witness or no email, letter, or recorded conversation? There is really no question what happened or what RL should have done, which I think the prosecution has done a good job pointing out.

I know the sky is blue without anybody telling me it is.

Sentiment from those covering the case seems to be pretty strong for a conviction. But as far as the legalities argued in court and how the jury will interpret all of that, no clue.

Reactions: tallulahtiger30319
I always thought the question was if it was gross negligence (seems like the best case scenario for RL) or knowingly participating in a scheme to steal money. How do you prove what’s in someone’s head if there is no witness or no email, letter, or recorded conversation? There is really no question what happened or what RL should have done, which I think the prosecution has done a good job pointing out.
Don't forget that RL likely owed a fiduciary duty to some of the account holders. Not sure what intent level is associated with that because fulfilling fiduciary obligations is an action.

I know the sky is blue without anybody telling me it is.

Sentiment from those covering the case seems to be pretty strong for a conviction. But as far as the legalities argued in court and how the jury will interpret all of that, no clue.
It is easy to prove what happened but it’s hard to prove that he knew what he was doing when it happened. Honesty, he should have taken the deal to serve five years in federal prison because it sounds like the trial has potentially put the bank and other members of his family in hot water.

Reactions: sloanMB and CT76
"Responding emotionally to DailyMail.com's enquiry, 'Presumably you're supporting your father?' he replied, 'You have no right to presume anything.'

And he was adamant as he said, 'I don't want to see it written anywhere that I'm supporting my father.'

Asked if he wished to make any other statement regarding his father's innocence or guilt he said simply, 'I have no interest in saying anything. I have no comment,' before politely returning indoors."

"Responding emotionally to DailyMail.com's enquiry, 'Presumably you're supporting your father?' he replied, 'You have no right to presume anything.'

And he was adamant as he said, 'I don't want to see it written anywhere that I'm supporting my father.'

Asked if he wished to make any other statement regarding his father's innocence or guilt he said simply, 'I have no interest in saying anything. I have no comment,' before politely returning indoors."

I take that as Buster thinks his father committed the murders but I suppose he simply may not want to be on the record. You have to feel bad for him.

Reactions: PawJourney
It is easy to prove what happened but it’s hard to prove that he knew what he was doing when it happened. Honesty, he should have taken the deal to serve five years in federal prison because it sounds like the trial has potentially put the bank and other members of his family in hot water.
Pretty good summary of charges and meaning here https://www.live5news.com/2022/11/22/jury-deliberation-russell-laffitte-trial/

And as we speak there are all sorts of issues with the jurors

Guilty on all charges
One thing most should be thankful for is that AM isn't our close friend. People are accountable for their deeds, and these deeds created financial harm, but still....such a waste of a life/lives.

Details from FitsNews:

A jury in Charleston, South Carolina found disgraced banker Russell Laffitte guilty on each of the six counts he was charged with in the first criminal trial tied to the ‘Murdaugh Murders’ crime and corruption saga.

Laffitte was found guilty of conspiracy, wire fraud, bank fraud as well as three counts of misapplying bank funds. He faces up to thirty years in prison and millions of dollars in fines in connection with those convictions. For more on the potential prison time Laffitte is facing – and the process by which his sentence will be determined – click here.

The verdict – announced at around 9:30 p.m. EST – came after the jury deliberated for nearly eleven hours. It didn’t come easy, either. Two jurors were excused from duty for medical reasons – one of them claiming they were being pressured by their peers. It is not immediately clear whether the disruption in the jury process will be grounds for an appeal.

Attorneys for Laffitte objected to the replacement of one of the jurors, likely setting the stage for an appeal of the verdict.

Laffitte, 51, of Hampton, S.C., is the former chief executive officer of Palmetto State Bank (PSB). He was fired from his post in January as his role in the financial scams tied to disbarred attorney/ accused killer Alex Murdaugh began to become clear.

Yeah I see no way the bank survives this.

Did anyone else see Buster Murdaugh tailgating yesterday?? He was on the upper intramural fields.
While you gotta eventually keep living your life, the last place I'd want to be is a public area with people from all across the state. I'd imagine a South Carolina win doesn't feel as good when your mom and brother are dead, your last name is ruined and your dad is being found out to be a very bad person.

FITSNews
MURDAUGHS‘Murdaugh Murders’ Saga: Alex Murdaugh Offered Plea Deal, Sources Say
Accused killer rejects purported 30-year deal

"Prosecutors in the office of South Carolina attorney general Alan Wilson reportedly extended a plea offer to disbarred attorney/ accused killer Alex Murdaugh just prior to the Thanksgiving holiday, multiple sources familiar with the negotiations have confirmed to this news outlet.

The deal? Thirty years … on all counts.

This sentence – which Murdaugh would have been required to serve in its entirety – would have covered the two graphic murders Murdaugh is accused of committing.

The ninety financial crimes he is staring down.

The charges tied to a bizarre roadside shooting which took place in September 2021.

It would have also addressed any obstruction of justice charges against Murdaugh that could still be leveled by the statewide grand jury probing the aftermath of a February 2019 boat crash involving his late son, Paul Murdaugh."

FITSNews
MURDAUGHS‘Murdaugh Murders’ Saga: Alex Murdaugh Offered Plea Deal, Sources Say
Accused killer rejects purported 30-year deal

"Prosecutors in the office of South Carolina attorney general Alan Wilson reportedly extended a plea offer to disbarred attorney/ accused killer Alex Murdaugh just prior to the Thanksgiving holiday, multiple sources familiar with the negotiations have confirmed to this news outlet.

The deal? Thirty years … on all counts.

This sentence – which Murdaugh would have been required to serve in its entirety – would have covered the two graphic murders Murdaugh is accused of committing.

The ninety financial crimes he is staring down.

The charges tied to a bizarre roadside shooting which took place in September 2021.

It would have also addressed any obstruction of justice charges against Murdaugh that could still be leveled by the statewide grand jury probing the aftermath of a February 2019 boat crash involving his late son, Paul Murdaugh."
Why would they offer this?

My understanding is that the financial crimes alone would be 30ish years.

Unless…this is bs “leaking” from DH to control the narrative.

Why would they offer this?

My understanding is that the financial crimes alone would be 30ish years.

Unless…this is bs “leaking” from DH to control the narrative.
My guess is because Murdaugh is 64 and would be 94 when released. High probability that he is no longer living or in a state that he could do no harm to anyone at 94. That plus it would save the state a ton of time and money on the legal proceedings.

My guess is because Murdaugh is 64 and would be 94 when released. High probability that he is no longer living or in a state that he could do no harm to anyone at 94. That plus it would save the state a ton of time and money on the legal proceedings.
I think he is 54. He should take the deal

I think he is 54. He should take the deal
You're rational and likely not a narcissist that was raised in "Low Country Family." Not sure AM has adjusted his thinking to the new reality of how his actions have impacted his family's reputation, power and wealth.

I could be wrong but I could have sworn he was in college in the late 80’s.
Internet is likely wrong here (imagine that). :) I see from Maggie's obit that she graduated from South Carolina in 1991 and met Alex while there. Another site mentions Alex being on the football team in 1988. My guess is that he was born in 1968 not 1958.

Internet is likely wrong here (imagine that). :) I see from Maggie's obit that she graduated from South Carolina in 1991 and met Alex while there. Another site mentions Alex being on the football team in 1988. My guess is that he was born in 1968 not 1958.
Yes, I believe he is much younger than me. I have younger friends who knew his kids/wife.

The State (Columbia, SC)

‘Perfect storm’ of debts and looming exposure drove Murdaugh to kill, SC prosecutors say
John Monk, Ted Clifford, The State

A“perfect storm” of debts, drug abuse and the looming exposure of his numerous alleged financial crimes is what pushed a seemingly respectable Alex Murdaugh to kill his wife and son, according to a Thursday filing by the South Carolina Attorney General’s office.

The killings were a means to shift attention away from the impending discovery of his financial crimes, which would have resulted in “personal, legal, and financial ruin” for Murdaugh, the filling said.

“The clouds of (the) defendant’s past were gathering into a perfect storm that was going to expose the real Alex Murdaugh to the world,” prosecutors wrote.

Prosecutors also indicated in their filing that they intend to seek a sentence that will put Murdaugh in prison for the rest of his life.

Attorney Jim Griffin, who is representing Murdaugh, said he will respond to the state’s filing at a 2 p.m. Friday hearing in Colleton County. Murdaugh is expected to be in attendance.

“We will make our comments in court,” Griffin said.

A former attorney, Murdaugh is accused of killing his wife, Maggie, and son, Paul, on the family’s 1,700-acre Colleton County estate the night of June 7, 2021. Murdaugh has pleaded not guilty.

He is scheduled to stand trial Jan. 23.

In addition to murder charges, Murdaugh remains in the Richland County jail on drug and financial fraud charges.

• Wow
Reactions: TigerTC
From The State:

Alex Murdaugh indicted on tax evasion charges ahead of SC murder trial

INDICTMENT SAYS MURDAUGH EARNED $14M IN 9 YEARS

The indictment announced Friday also reveals how much Murdaugh earned as a lawyer for each of the nine years, 2011 to 2019. The indictment alleges that Murdaugh’s reported annual income as a lawyer for his former law firm, Peters Murdaugh Parker Eltzroth & Detrict, began to drop as the years passed and asserts he supplemented his income as a lawyer by alleged thefts he did not report on his tax forms. In 2011, Murdaugh earned $2.3 million as an attorney, then $5.2 million in 2012. By 2013, Murdaugh’s annual pay dropped to $733,967, but rose again to $1 million and $2 million in 2014 and 2015, respectively. He earned $962,000 in 2016, then $270,600 in 2017, and earned $823,000 in 2018. In 2019, the final year, he earned $722,035, the indictment said. In all, Murdaugh earned a total of $14 million in nine years, and stole nearly $7 million, according to the indictment. The attorney general’s office also said Murdaugh, a disbarred attorney, owes $486,819 in unpaid state taxes.

Read more at: https://www.thestate.com/news/local/crime/article270096077.html#storylink=cpy

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT