ADVERTISEMENT

A thought on the State of the Union

Willence

The Jack Dunlap Club
Gold Member
Dec 26, 2003
This is something that has bothered me for a long time and I would imagine that our former president bothered those on the left as much as this president bothers me. But really it's a recurring theme that's gone on for a while now and been increasingly the case as the climate has become more politicized and hostile.

The state of our union is one of disunion. We are not together and really any way and this board is evidence of that. Posts are put up to attack political opposition at every turn. I suspect that people post here because they care about our country and want to see it be better. Perhaps, the state of our union should be that we decide to put down our weapons and try to seek common ground where we can find it. Perhaps, the goals we have are not as dissimilar as the methods with which we prefer to reach them. Perhaps within that context we could stop seeing each other as enemies. Perhaps, we could expect more of our leaders and elected officials.

When the president stands up before the nation as he did on Tuesday night it is the case that the entire nation should be represented in his speech. It should not be a partisan address. That is not the constitutional intent of the president reporting to Congress. We should be working to form a more perfect union. I don't see how our endeavors take us in that direction in any way, shape or form in the current climate. Maybe it's time for us to get back to the basics of why we are our country and what we are here for.

Last edited:
This is something that is bothered me for a long time and I would imagine that our former president bothered those on the left as much as this president bothers me. But really it's a recurring theme that's gone on for a while now and been increasingly the case as the climate has become more politicized and hostile.

The state of our union is one of disunion. We are not together and really any way and this board is evidence of that. Posts are put up to attack political opposition at every turn. I suspect that people post your because they care about our country and want to see it be better. Perhaps, the state of our union should be that we decide to put down our weapons and try to seek common ground where we can find it. Perhaps, the goals we have are not as dissimilar as the methods with which we prefer to reach them. Perhaps within that context we could stop seeing each other as enemies. Perhaps, we could expect more of our leaders and elected officials.

When the president stands up before the nation as he did on Tuesday night it is the case that the entire nation should be represented in his speech. It should not be a partisan address. That is not the constitutional intent of the president reporting to Congress. We should be working to form a more perfect union. I don't see how our endeavors take us in that direction in any way, shape or form in the current climate. Maybe it's time for us to get back to the basics of why we are our country and what we are here for.
There's no discussion to be had with insurrectionists. Reconciliation comes after reckoning, not before it.

There's no discussion to be had with insurrectionists. Reconciliation comes after reckoning, not before it.

Thank you for making my point. That's why you're part of the problem not the solution. The good news is you can always choose to change how you approach things. I won't hold my breath but I'm going to hope for the best with you. What I learn from your comment is there's not much difference between your thoughts and those of Mao and Stalin. I'm not so sure that's the company you want to keep my friend.

This is something that is bothered me for a long time and I would imagine that our former president bothered those on the left as much as this president bothers me. But really it's a recurring theme that's gone on for a while now and been increasingly the case as the climate has become more politicized and hostile.

The state of our union is one of disunion. We are not together and really any way and this board is evidence of that. Posts are put up to attack political opposition at every turn. I suspect that people post your because they care about our country and want to see it be better. Perhaps, the state of our union should be that we decide to put down our weapons and try to seek common ground where we can find it. Perhaps, the goals we have are not as dissimilar as the methods with which we prefer to reach them. Perhaps within that context we could stop seeing each other as enemies. Perhaps, we could expect more of our leaders and elected officials.

I couldn't agree more... I don't expect the other party to clap... that's fine. But for most of my life there was at least some civility and everyone was fairly quiet during the speech. There certainly weren't interruptions. The 1st one I can remember was during one of Obama's when one of the SC representatives yelled "You Lie!" and it's gone downhill from there. This was by far the worst I've ever seen.

Would anyone have really been surprised if MTG had shit in her hand and thrown it like a monkey? Cause that seems like the next bar we are going to hit. And frankly one party isn't any better than the other about it.

The really unfortunate part of all this is that there are 10-20 REAL extremist in congress on each side of the aisle that cause most of the trouble. And in a click driven world they are the ones that get all the air time. Back in the day, AOC and MTG would be an embarrassment and ignored by their own and the opposite party. The 24 hour news cycle gives these folks a platform and a WAY WAY outsized voice.

I couldn't agree more... I don't expect the other party to clap... that's fine. But for most of my life there was at least some civility and everyone was fairly quiet during the speech. There certainly weren't interruptions. The 1st one I can remember was during one of Obama's when one of the SC representatives yelled "You Lie!" and it's gone downhill from there. This was by far the worst I've ever seen.

Would anyone have really been surprised if MTG had shit in her hand and thrown it like a monkey? Cause that seems like the next bar we are going to hit. And frankly one party isn't any better than the other about it.

The really unfortunate part of all this is that there are 10-20 REAL extremist in congress on each side of the aisle that cause most of the trouble. And in a click driven world they are the ones that get all the air time. Back in the day, AOC and MTG would be an embarrassment and ignored by their own and the opposite party. The 24 hour news cycle gives these folks a platform and a WAY WAY outsized voice.
Agree with you, but with one caveat. There's extremist in both parties, but the lack of civility by the GOP far outweighs, in my opinion, the Democrats. I can't find near the instances of it from that side as I do the Republicans. It's like many of them, mostly the newer or more MAGA of them, take pride in being uncouth and unprofessional. They obviously weren't raised right by their parents.....

Agree with you, but with one caveat. There's extremist in both parties, but the lack of civility by the GOP far outweighs, in my opinion, the Democrats. I can't find near the instances of it from that side as I do the Republicans. It's like many of them, mostly the newer or more MAGA of them, take pride in being uncouth and unprofessional. They obviously weren't raised right by their parents.....
I tend to agree... I think that this has changed from the 60s-80s or so where the left was much less polished and way stupider than the Republicans. If they could have gotten away with it back then, they'd have been as bad as the Republicans today. Now I'm not saying that the Dems have gotten smarter, but the Republicans are way way dumber than they used to be.

While Republicans were already headed in this direction, Trump accelerated this. I used to consider the Republicans the adults in the room when I was growing up and as a youngish adult. Not any more. Remember when an affair that went public was a death sentence to Republican married man b/c of the evangelicals and Christian conservatives? Now you have tape of a Presidential Candidate (who was married at the time) telling a reporter that he just "Grabbed them by the Pussy" and no one even blinked.

Incivility is a way of life now...

The other unfortunate part is that you're seeing this one way. The President and his advisors crafted a speech to tempt such a response. They got what they wanted. This isn't a partisan matter. Both sides are currently hell bent on doing whatever it takes to enrage the other. Until people stop seeing it in one direction, this will continue.

I think it was a Democrat that tore a speech in half in front of all of America. She did it with vengeance and glee.

I think it was a Democrat that tore a speech in half in front of all of America. She did it with vengeance and glee

So the OP posts a thread wanting unity, and is promptly met with "I agree with you, but the right is still bad".

This is a great example of why this thread was started. Sadly, I don't see it changing.

Reactions: loveoysters

There have been 0 good faith attempts at compromise from the Republicans. I understand your intent and agree with it, but understand the context here.

They blocked Obama from electing a supreme court judge for over a year. PURELY political, they stacked the court.
They created the CRT outrage in a think tank and astro turfed it to school boards across the nation. The motivation here is to make our schools worse and to weaken the publics opinion of them so that they can PRIVATIZE them and make money off it while indoctrinating the children with Christianity and of course leave out any history or information that challenges the wrong people and outlook.
They literally attempted to subvert the election by creating FAKE electorates... They gaslit the nation for months and months claiming the election was stolen.
There was a thing called Jan 6th. It happened and the leaders in the Republican party haven't even condemned it.

They are heckling a president's SOTU....

The GOP is out of control. The solution isn't that the Democrats need to be understanding and kind and empathetic, thats already been found to not work at all. The solution is to be better at politics.

So the OP posts a thread wanting unity, and is promptly met with "I agree with you, but the right is still bad".

This is a great example of why this thread was started. Sadly, I don't see it changing.
Well the right is bad, and unless they improve, it will stay that way. You can't ask the democrats to wallow down in the shit pile and tell you it smells good.

The other unfortunate part is that you're seeing this one way. The President and his advisors crafted a speech to tempt such a response. They got what they wanted. This isn't a partisan matter. Both sides are currently hell bent on doing whatever it takes to enrage the other. Until people stop seeing it in one direction, this will continue.
Oh, I agree totally with this. Biden and company definitely baited the Republicans... And no where did I ever say Dems aren't just as bad. My point in fact was that Republicans USED to be not as bad as Dems IMHO. But that's not true anymore. They are every bit as bad if not worse.

I think it was a Democrat that tore a speech in half in front of all of America. She did it with vengeance and glee
Absolutely... Both parties are complete and total crap. That's why I'm an Independent. I'd be embarrassed to be associated with either party. And that Dem was Pelosi. I remember it well.

Reactions: adgjunior
There have been 0 good faith attempts at compromise from the Republicans. I understand your intent and agree with it, but understand the context here.

They blocked Obama from electing a supreme court judge for over a year. PURELY political, they stacked the court.
They created the CRT outrage in a think tank and astro turfed it to school boards across the nation. The motivation here is to make our schools worse and to weaken the publics opinion of them so that they can PRIVATIZE them and make money off it while indoctrinating the children with Christianity and of course leave out any history or information that challenges the wrong people and outlook.
They literally attempted to subvert the election by creating FAKE electorates... They gaslit the nation for months and months claiming the election was stolen.
There was a thing called Jan 6th. It happened and the leaders in the Republican party haven't even condemned it.

They are heckling a president's SOTU....

The GOP is out of control. The solution isn't that the Democrats need to be understanding and kind and empathetic, thats already been found to not work at all. The solution is to be better at politics.
Strongly disagree with the comments about CRT-it has not been "created" but to many parents it is real and we have dealt with it in connection with our children's education. That is your opinion and many people would disagree with you.

Strongly disagree with the comments about CRT-it has not been "created" but to many parents it is real and we have dealt with it in connection with our children's education. That is your opinion and many people would disagree with you.
CRT as an issue was completely fabricated by a think tank. If you don't know that then you are not informed.

CRT as an issue was completely fabricated by a think tank. If you don't know that then you are not informed.
I am as much informed as you are if not more so, if you insist with the "you are not informed" comments-you show your real colors.

I am as much informed as you are if not more so, if you insist with the "you are not informed" comments-you show your real colors.
It was just cooked up by and activist and then run with by the conservative think tank.

My colors come with receipts.

It was just cooked up by and activist and then run with by the conservative think tank.

My colors come with receipts.
An article from the "New Yorker"; that sure is not one sided and the article from FoX was how to stop CRT-not that it was made up.

You didn't even read it. So yah go back to my previous point, you are not informed. The right has done a great job telling their herd that Journalism isn't real and that if you disagree with a narrative, or even straight up facts that can be proven, just discount it as a bad source and move on with your life. Weak minded and fragile.

You didn't even read it. So yah go back to my previous point, you are not informed. The right has done a great job telling their herd that Journalism isn't real and that if you disagree with a narrative, or even straight up facts that can be proven, just discount it as a bad source and move on with your life. Weak minded and fragile.
You are really something else, calling people weak minded and fragile. Proving what the OP was talking about.

Reactions: Willence
So they are teaching a post graduate, legal studies curriculum to your children, is that what you want us to believe? Or have you bastardized any teachings related to black history as CRT?

I agree 100%, it would be great!
But kind of hard when the President, who ran on unity, calls half the country terrorists, white nationalists, racists because we didn’t vote for him or like what he is doing to this country.

So they are teaching a post graduate, legal studies curriculum to your children, is that what you want us to believe? Or have you bastardized any teachings related to black history as CRT?
I am referring to teaching that one group of people are oppressors and another group is victims based on the clor of their skin. As a society, everybody is of value-no matter what skin color and in many school systems (including one that I have personally oberved) the scenario I am discussing has taken place. Nice try, with "batardized any taechings related to black history". I have done volunteer work for the Red Cross and one of my personal heros is Dr Charles Drew who developed improved techniques for blood storage and blood banks for assitance during WW II. The fact that his skin color is black does not add or dimish the greatness of the man.

Sigh...

Maybe one day. Have at it tribes. Maybe we should just organize a weekend where everyone can go to the Rose Bowl and kill each other since people they disagree with " are just bad." I mean that's where we're headed so by all means let's just be expeditious about it and organize an event to get it done in the most effective way possible. We as a nation will have to decide we're done being stuck on stupid. We're also going to have to stop justifying what we do by the actions of the other side. That's a cowards argument and it's intellectually and morally bankrupt.

I am referring to teaching that one group of people are oppressors and another group is victims based on the clor of their skin. As a society, everybody is of value-no matter what skin color and in many school systems (including one that I have personally oberved) the scenario I am discussing has taken place. Nice try, with "batardized any taechings related to black history". I have done volunteer work for the Red Cross and one of my personal heros is Dr Charles Drew who developed improved techniques for blood storage and blood banks for assitance during WW II. The fact that his skin color is black does not add or dimish the greatness of the man.

Oh it absolutely adds to the greatness of the man that he was able to accomplish so much in the face of pervasive racism and institutional and systemic barriers that you and I could never even begin to understand. Absolutely wild that you'd think otherwise.

Sigh...

Maybe one day. Have at it tribes. Maybe we should just organize a weekend where everyone can go to the Rose Bowl and kill each other since people they disagree with " are just bad." I mean that's where we're headed so by all means let's just be expeditious about it and organize an event to get it done in the most effective way possible. We as a nation will have to decide we're done being stuck on stupid. We're also going to have to stop justifying what we do by the actions of the other side. That's a cowards argument and it's intellectually and morally bankrupt.

I agree that each side needs to find common ground and spend time understanding that our ultimate goals are the same. We are all (mostly) working towards prosperity, happiness and success for all, including the country.

The extremists on this board and itt aren't gonna let you get there though, certainly not on TI...

Dude in this threat thinks liberals are destroying his children by teaching them that white people are to blame for black people's struggle. So he's never going to see liberals as having the same goals, he thinks they hate him and want to indoctrinate his children. And, both sides do this, sure, only one side has managed to convince the single most powerful gender/sex combination in the history of the world that they are under constant assault (white men).

Last edited:
This has nothing to do with having black friends or blacks you respect. You're basically parroting FoxNews talking points that intentionally misinform you into believing that just teaching history, as it acually happened, is making white kids hate themselves. History aint always pretty but that doesn't mean we should suppress the truth so kids can feel more comfortable.

At it's baseline, the hysteria over CRT and groomers is just an influence campaign to scare people into voting Republican. That's it...

Sigh...

I have very close friends who are conservative, that used to be Trump supporters and we fight like cats and dogs sometimes, but I still love them. I know it may not come across that way on here but I absolutely believe in bridging the divide before the friendship is harmed. A difference in political leanings should not be all that defines us, but I'm not gonna lie, the last six years have pushed me to my limits of understanding. Misinformation and lies have about broken this country and I've made it my mission to address them whenever and wherever I can. After Jan 6th, we can't just pretend those things don't matter anymore. The harm they cause is real and insidious and I can't just ignore them.

Lol what in the world is all this? What school or curriculum is teaching children that white people are oppressors? And before you link me to some random college curriculum from Oberlin or some other crunchy campus, consider that a college is the one specific place where a class SHOULD be about that so you can foster healthy debate and learn.

The problem is the olds and simpletons who guzzle RW media think every Tom, Dick, and Jane teaching K-12 is teaching their poor children that they’re to blame for everyone’s problems in this country. Are there bad teachers who say shit like that? Sure, of course there are, and they should be canned. Just like the RW Texas middle school teacher who went on a rant explaining how he believed white people were superior to every other race.

There are always going to be bad apples, but despite Tucker and the rest of the opinion show brigade barking about this being a problem (and it gets parroted by MTG, Gaetz, and the rest of the dregs of Congress) you can rest assured knowing it actually isn’t as pervasive a problem as you think.

Since your claim is the Republicans are less civil let’s pick an example

The pick for the Supreme Courts by Brett Kavanagh was a total shit show from the Democratic side

So compare that to the recent Joe Biden nominee who even got votes from Republicans

Your partisan glasses need to be wiped off

I have very close friends who are conservative, that used to be Trump supporters and we fight like cats and dogs sometimes, but I still love them. I know it may not come across that way on here but I absolutely believe in bridging the divide before the friendship is harmed. A difference in political leanings should not be all that defines us, but I'm not gonna lie, the last six years have pushed me to my limits of understanding. Misinformation and lies have about broken this country and I've made it my mission to address them whenever and wherever I can. After Jan 6th, we can't just pretend those things don't matter anymore. The harm they cause is real and insidious and I can't just ignore them.

I have a challenge young man

The FBI and DOJ have now been found with credible evidence they attacked without cause school parents, Catholics and other religions claiming they are extremists which clearly the female Supreme Court Judge is not an extremist

The FBI, DOJ and IRS remember Lois Lerner along with some others are rotten at the head and have the rot permeating the organizations

No longer do they serve Americans but political agendas particularly the Democratic agenda

As much as people hate Trump the left liberal media, Democratic Party , deep state , DOJ and others created a fake narrative against a President of the US

Now we have the same thing with the same cabal
protecting people in America who are stinking up the landscape with the Chinese takeout

There is lots of blame and hate to go around

I just wish people would judge with the same moral yardstick

January 6 was a travesty but so was the 500 plus riots across American supported by the left

Is the weaponization against Americans in the millions less dangerous to Democracy than Jan 6

Jan 6 was a pimple on the cheek while the liberal left destruction of Democracy was far worse than Jan 6

This has nothing to do with having black friends or blacks you respect. You're basically parroting FoxNews talking points that intentionally misinform you into believing that just teaching history, as it acually happened, is making white kids hate themselves. History aint always pretty but that doesn't mean we should suppress the truth so kids can feel more comfortable.

At it's baseline, the hysteria over CRT and groomers is just an influence campaign to scare people into voting Republican. That's it...

Please watch the new Disney cartoon

It is really alarming to listen to the message of hate being generated

I think it was a Democrat that tore a speech in half in front of all of America. She did it with vengeance and glee.

I was hoping McCarthy would have an industrial sized shredder installed and at the end of the speech inserted his copy of the speech into it and then dumped it into an industrial blower and showered the hall with confetti

That was my dream

Just like being the FREE RANGE EGG BARON

I am close to those dreams

Patience Grasshopper or is it Locust

Let me update this post as it was meant as a joke tongue in cheek

Respect throughout the speech for the president should have been the norms

Last edited:
Reactions: TigerGrowls
I love it that you have great intentions and have sensed that so I will happily continue guiding you to the light bro.

I have a challenge young man

The FBI and DOJ have now been found with credible evidence they attacked without cause school parents, Catholics and other religions claiming they are extremists which clearly the female Supreme Court Judge is not an extremist

The FBI, DOJ and IRS remember Lois Lerner along with some others are rotten at the head and have the rot permeating the organizations

No longer do they serve Americans but political agendas particularly the Democratic agenda

As much as people hate Trump the left liberal media, Democratic Party , deep state , DOJ and others created a fake narrative against a President of the US

Now we have the same thing with the same cabal
protecting people in America who are stinking up the landscape with the Chinese takeout

There is lots of blame and hate to go around

I just wish people would judge with the same moral yardstick

January 6 was a travesty but so was the 500 plus riots across American supported by the left

Is the weaponization against Americans in the millions less dangerous to Democracy than Jan 6

Jan 6 was a pimple on the cheek while the liberal left destruction of Democracy was far worse than Jan 6

1. There's no "challenge" here.
2. You are an extremist.

Reactions: yoshi121374
I agree that each side needs to find common ground and spend time understanding that our ultimate goals are the same. We are all (mostly) working towards prosperity, happiness and success for all, including the country.

The extremists on this board and itt aren't gonna let you get there though, certainly not on TI...

Dude in this threat thinks liberals are destroying his children by teaching them that white people are to blame for black people's struggle. So he's never going to see liberals as having the same goals, he thinks they hate him and want to indoctrinate his children. And, both sides do this, sure, only one side has managed to convince the single most powerful gender/sex combination in the history of the world that they are under constant assault (white men).

To focus on good let me say that if each one of us on here wrote down what is important to each of us as a man such as with marriage careers children I would dare say we would put all the answers in a hat and have us draw them out randomly and I would bet that each slip of paper would reflect similar possibilities we could live with

I want to comment on something I am being enlightened with

First let me comment on equality versus equity

When I first went to Clemson I had been recruited by Clemson as a running back as a high school junior but an injury limited my playing time my senior year

So out of shape recovering from a knee injury my high school buddies told me to walk on So my hubris and ego had me walk on

The first day we lined up to run sprints There was a chiseled black athletic named Marion Reeves

Lined up on the line and whistle blew

100 yards later I finished dead last at least 10 if not 15 yards behind

Suddenly I realized that although I was given an equal opportunity at the start there was obviously on the football field no place for equity

I walked to the locker room realizing the amount of work to work myself back to even being decent

That moment I decided OK I need to reset my goals

In todays world You will probably argue with what I am about to say but I think when people hear this and reflect on it and use my example of the foot race they if open minded will get the point

We all want a great life

In my opinion and based on statistical evidence education and literacy are the tickets

Trying to race-bait, culture bait or hate mongering against people I believe will not make one successful

It is all about literacy first in the fundamental areas of English, writing , reading , math , etc

Then one needs to expand that foundational literacy into other branches such as literacy in manners , literacy in civility , literacy in etc.

When people demand equity of outcome based on color of skin instead of equality of opportunity with success by meritocracy based on ones personal hard work perseverance and commitment then the natural results of equity based systems create division and hate as a consequence of that misguided social engineering

I could write a lot more but you will have to buy and read my book

If you want some examples of illiteracy the city of Detroit has only 3 per cent of it’s high school graduates able to fill out a job application

If you really want to educate yourself look up literacy rates in South Carolina where I am from versus Colorado where you mentioned you are living

Once you compare the literacy rates of each state then compare the standard of living for each state

That will give you an answer

My foot race where I started equally but lost taught me that equity is a failure and that equality and meritocracy are American ideals to live by

Last edited:
1. There's no "challenge" here.
2. You are an extremist.

So says the other side

I am giving you an opportunity to meet in the middle

I hope there is hope for you

Because I keep the door open

Just dropped you a long message

And it does not include the demonization you wish to brand me with

I admit I am an extremist in working with many people including black, Latin and white

My work is about equality and meritocracy

I may be wrong but I am thinking you don’t believe in those virtues

Oh it absolutely adds to the greatness of the man that he was able to accomplish so much in the face of pervasive racism and institutional and systemic barriers that you and I could never even begin to understand. Absolutely wild that you'd think otherwise.
Way to change what the man did, you know nothing about him

ThNk you for calling me dude. I do not think anybody hates me. Please quit giving your views of who I am.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT