ADVERTISEMENT

Active shooter in Florence

It’s by far he safest time to live on earth in the history of earth
According to whom? Perhaps it would be wise to do a little research on our wonderful federal government just for starters. And then just the simple fact that half the world has hydrogen bombs that make Hiroshima look like a fire cracker. That’s just the tip of the spear my friend

Reactions: wta21080
Just stop with this nonsense. State God is sovereign. Bring up Satan as if the person you are speaking of is infected by Satan more than you becuse you claim God is sovereign. Play God yourself by emphatically declaring no one will miss him in heaven.

Your last 2 statements sound as if you are declaring yourself sovereign by playing judge and jury. In the same paragraph you declare God to be. A wonderful messsge to bring folks to the lord.
Just telling the guy what GOD told me once when i stood where he does now. Message worked for me beleif isn't a problem GOD is my reality. GOD isn't my imaginary friend he is my RULER MY GOD. MY JUDGE. And if needs be my executioner. If that is his will then so be it. I am a man not a god. My creator is the uncreated GOD. I worship him not myself, not science, not idealism, not people, not information or knowledge. It wouldn't be heaven if people there missed someone that wasn't there. Those who will not be in heaven will be blotted out of the book of life at the white thrown judgement. So you'd prefer I prophesy smooth things and not the truth which is jagged a's a double edge sword. The words are such a sword which cuts both ways. You would then accuse he and I of having a demon as you just have. Yet you say I have played GOD. Such is the man who keeps hi's own counsel.

Reactions: tigergrad03
I think if I had an imaginary friend that could stop people from getting shot but just didn’t, I’d probably stop talking to them.
God leaves us to our own free will to chose to do evil or good. You can chose to follow him or chose not to follow him. He loves all the same. Keep in mind that Christ died for the sinner not the saint. The Bible states that all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God. We all need Jesus, but he allows us to chose him or not. He did His part on the cross, He leaves the decision up to us. He died for that shooter the same as he died for Billy Graham. We pray that the spirit will move to convict others of their sins that they may realize they need a savior. We all need that Savior we just don’t all recognize that. That’s your choice. I choose to follow Him. I pray you will too.

Yet another sad situation of gun violence where those who are paid to protect us are shot and killed. Thoughts for the officers involved and all of their friends and families.
Is this intended to be a anti gun post or a condolence post or both?

I’ll just leave this one right here for you. It’s the first sentence of a little thing called the constitutional amendments:

Amendment 1

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.
Couldn't help myself, but you do know that was in retrospect? As in they would never allow another god (religion) to control their ways of worship towards the real God? They never meant for another false God to be worshipped in this country. Just the freedom of how you worshipped God. Baptist, Presbyterian, Methodist all had the same God and way to salvation in those days. It wasn't that they were saying we can't have religion controling this nation, it was saying they couldn't go back into religion that never sets you free. The only religion that sets you free is Christianity. God said there is only one true religion. They never stated that with the thoughts of God being removed. Like I said religions and denominations were different, but they believed in the same God. And denomination was taken for religion in the amendment. It was never written for some other god to move in. Check out quotes from difficult situations from our founders, even those that left recorded journals that fell short.

Reactions: BigTimeTiger
That's not the way it works...

If more people prayed the percentage of shooters would be less. More prayers (good people), less shooters (criminals)

Got it, people who pray are good. Have you ever read a history book my man?

3 Florence Co Sheriffs Deputies shot
2 Florence City Police officers shot
One of City Officers dead

Two rumors floating
1. Serving warrant on son. Dad opens fire
2. Serving Restraining Order on Husband

Not sure which is correct

Long standoff
Lot of shooting

I live in Florence...

It's actually 7 cops shot.

4 Florence city police. 1 has died
3 Florence Co Sheriff deputies

They were apparently serving a warrant on a 27 year old male for a suspected molestation or rape. 27 year old shot in the incident but there is confusion as to if he or his dad were the actual shooter. Hearing it was the dad though.

https://www.scnow.com/news/local/article_c440461a-c77f-11e8-9593-ff2d711d1862.html

61f5fbb4-ceda-4bda-9463-9125e56c8a7f-large16x9_flo1.jpg

One officer killed, seven others wounded in Vintage Place shooting

5bb57ac4a4edd.image.jpg

Florence County Sheriff Kenney Boone (left) speaks during a news conference Wednesday evening outside McLeod Regional Medical Center. With him (from left) are Florence Police Chief Allen Heidler, Florence County Chief Deputy Glenn Kirby, Florence Mayor Stephen Wukela and Maj. Mike Nunn, a general counsel and public information officer with the Florence County Sheriff's Office.

SCOTT CHANCEY/MORNING NEWS

FLORENCE, S.C. — An officer described by his chief as "the bravest police officer I have ever known" was shot and killed Wednesday afternoon in a west Florence subdivision responding to help Florence County sheriff's deputies who were also shot while serving a search warrant.

Six other law enforcement officers — three from the Florence Police Department and three from the Florence County Sheriff's Office — were wounded. The suspected gunman is in custody.

A 27-year-old resident of the home was also wounded in the incident, Florence County Sheriff's Office Chief Deputy Glenn Kirby said.

Florence County Coroner Keith von Lutcken identified the officer as Terrence Carraway, 52, of Darlington.

During an emotional Wednesday night news conference outside the emergency room at McLeod Regional Medical Center, Florence Police Chief Allen Heidler announced that four city officers had been shot, one fatally, while responding to aid Florence County sheriff's deputies who had come under fire while serving a search warrant at a residence on Vintage Place.

+3

City of Florence Police Chief Allen Heidler is hugged by Octavia Williams-Blake after a news conference Wednesday evening on the grounds of McLeod Regional Medical Center.

"Today will mark a very horrific day for the Florence Police Department," Heidler said. "Today we lost a good friend of mine, an officer I've known for 30 years.

"I ask for, at this particular time, prayers of every human being who knows the Lord Jesus Christ to pray for these officers. They were responding to the scene of an incident where they knew their brothers and sisters from the sheriff's office were in need — as we all do and they do for us."

Maj. Mike Nunn of the sheriff's office said the shooting began at approximately 4 p.m. after "investigators with Florence County Sheriff's Office attempted to serve a search warrant on a residence in Vintage Place Subdivision in Florence County. Suspect inside the residence opened fire on the investigator. Three of our deputies were shot.

+3

Law enforcement officers from all over Florence County used Hoffmeyer Road as a staging ground during a deadly active shooter incident Wednesday afternoon on Vintage Place in the west Florence area.

MATTHEW CHRISTIAN/MORNING NEWS
"The suspect continued to fire on other officers who responded to the scene to render aid to the wounded. Officers from the Florence City Police Department responded to assist, and several of their officers were shot as well."

"The suspect remained barricaded in the residence with children. Suspect is now in custody."

These officers went there unknowing the firepower this suspect had, Florence County Sheriff Kenney Boone said.

"They thought it was a random search," Boone said.

"When the arrived gunfire started, several officers were hit. I want to thank Florence Police Department; they were minutes away and assisted us.

"Fire was being shot all over. The way the suspect was positioned, his view of fire was several hundred yards. He had an advantage. Officers couldn't get to the ones that were down."

The agency used its MRAP — which is armored — to go in and rescue the wounded law enforcement officers and evacuate them to where they could be transported for medical treatment.

"Those who live in Vintage Place bear with us," Boone said. "We know it's chaotic, and what's going on they don't understand. This area is safe; the suspect is in custody. We'll probably go through the night working those crime scenes as well."

Florence Mayor Stephen Wukela also spoke at the news conference.

+3

A helicopter leaves the scene of a shooting Wednesday evening in west Florence.

MATTHEW CHRISTIAN/MORNING NEWS
"We can be reassured somewhat in the knowledge that the officer who passed and those who were wounded were so doing what they loved, which is protecting this community and protecting one another," Wukela said. "They came to the aid of one another and had great loss at that effort."

Heidler said he had heard from many in the law enforcement community and appreciates the support offered to his agency.

"We will take care of our family," he said. "This is my family. These officers are my family. We will take care of them and take care of their loved ones."

The Richland County Sheriff's Office has been called in to conduct the investigation into the shooting, and the Charleston County Sheriff's Office has sent counselors for the officers involved in it, Boone said.

The Law Enforcement Assistance Foundation has also responded, the sheriff said.

"We know at times this is a dangerous job, and our deputies readily and bravely accept that challenge," Nunn said. "We ask for your prayers for the wounded and the families at this time."

Boone also called for prayers.

"Please put the families of these officers in your prayer," he said. "Please lift them up. The victims in this case need all the help and support we can get them. We're going to make sure they're taken care of."

Florence County Council Chairman Kent Caudle said he was shocked and saddened by what happened on Wednesday.

Caudle said he never considered something like Wednesday’s events happening in Florence.

The county council and city council are here to assist the families affected in any way they could, Caudle said.

State Rep. Jay Jordan said he hoped the community would come together after the events of Wednesday.

"Our officers put their lives on the line every day," Boone said. "You never know when you leave your home if you'll ever return home. A lot of the officers don't get the respect their deserve. These situations hit home. We have several that were injured. Several officers that were shot. It's a terrible situation."

Last edited:
Anyone have the exact street this took place? Wife lived in Vintage Place a long time ago in the 90s.

This and the Sad News thread were the 2 worsts things I’ve seen on this board since I joined.

Disgraceful and embarrassing
Yep. Really sad people can't discuss tragic events that hit close to home on here without them turning into the same old crap, by the same old people, every time.

@marshmk I also live in Florence
I talked to several people close to situation
When I posted the best intel I had was 3 FCSO
2 City. I knew Carraway was dead. Didn’t want to say his name
Didn’t know it was 4 city officers until acting Chief Alan Heidler spoke to news

No matter what
Tragic. Sad. Just plain stupid
Let LE do their job. Fight warrant later
Sad day in Florence
Thanks for adding links

Reactions: marshmk
No. But this happens every time. Shooting happens. One side calls for change, other side calls for thoughts and prayers.

One could work but hasn’t been tried, one clearly doesn’t work.

Not a troll when it’s the truth

See my response above
There aren't two sides to everything. Life is nuanced with multiple reasons, logics, and options. My advice to you, which I'm sure you dont care about, is to take a step back before getting too emotionally entrenched in one side of an opinion to the point that there is no going back. You and the person you are having a debate/conversation with could actually make some progress.

Trying to be an ass or troll wont help and will actually make the other person stick to their opinion even more.

/rant

Reactions: fcctiger12
I was at a concert recently and saw some signs for a gun control group called “No Thoughts, No Prayers”. I understand they want policy to change and that they associate people who pray with the policy they don’t like, but being needlessly abrasive isn’t the way to convince anybody but people who already agree with you. It’s just s foolish tact to take.

Anyway, it’s unfortunate that any time Christianity gets mentioned on a message board, we know one of the first few posts will he from a theologically illiterate atheist, followed by a bunch of responses from Christians that are basically preaching to the choir.
Wow, you said it better than I could. Well done.

Why is that exactly? Trust me I’m not “trolling” as you refer to it
I was curious because there seems to be a massive outcry of perceived fear of the future and lament of ‘the good ole days when America used to be Christian’.

But if God is sovereign and you truly believe that Jesus is God’s offering and promise, shed his blood as an offering to reconcile the sins of us all and given you an eternal salvation and resting place, then what exactly is this fear and lament rooted in?

I believe it rests in some sort of warped God AND Country identity that can’t co-exist. But us westerners have come to some conclusion that we Americans are superlative and that God gave us America to glorify him.

I recently listened to an article/video of someone speak on God and Country and it’s pretty interesting, to me, and i feel like it should be for any Christian. Paraphrasing and/or quoting, he says that we aren’t pushed up against some metaphorical wall, politically, socially, personally, etc..and our future is not at stake as long as Jesus is alive and well. His words ‘and Jesus is doing just fine.’

Our fear as Christians should be overcome knowing that god has gifted us with someone greater than ourselves. We are serving a kingdom without term limits and that can’t be torn down.

The root of that should help return us to the gospel that tells us who we are, and where God is and where he meets us. Back to the gospel that will help us tear down our civil religions and prosperity gospels and put away all of the ‘golden calfs’ we find so important (America and yearning for the days that we really loved God and Jesus). We don’t serve the god of the generic American values. We serve the god of Abraham, Isaac and jacob and as Christians, most importantly, the god of the resurrected Christ.

So the fear that resides, and panic in the perceived growing numbers of non-Christian Americans, or better get, a panic that we are in some sort of post Christian America, is to assume that there ever was a Christian America. And the only way you can assume we have had a Christian America to be a theological liberal. In that the only way we could have been a Christian nation is to, as a nation, define Christianity, as a nation 1 birth short of the Kingdom of God.

America is at best, a pre-Christian America. So we move forward fearlessly triumphant because he’s told us who we are (we are not Americans) and where to find him (not on a ten commandment plaque, or in a check out line telling some stranger Merry Christmas, not in a school prayer led by someone just as sinful as you or Me). He’s given us promises. The Short term promise of a cross on our backs and long term promise a crown of glory. He never promised us a God and Country badge.
(Credit for those words and thoughts to Russell Moore).

And that is something I’ve found that jives with a world view shift that’s slowly changed in me over the last 6-7 years. From defining myself as an American and a partriot or a republican conservative, and squeezing a little bit of god into that. To my belief in Christianity as my worldview, and that, shaping my understanding of our world and it’s people and myself.

And in doing so, I’ve found the ‘Christian right’ more destructive to the spread and witnessing of the very faith they, or we, possess, than those the ‘Christian right’ are lamenting as tearing it down.

I couldn’t agree more. I would add that in today’s society it’s necessary to be clear that GOD is JESUS AND HIS FATHER. My head spins thinking of how many definitions of God people have. A lot are very deceiving. Such as the back of our “federal reserve notes”. A little research on that will make one physically ill.
They are one with different attributes to salvation. There are 3 actually. God the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit. God the Father planned salvation, God the Son fulfilled salvation and God the Holy Spirit initiates salvation. That initiation is done by the drawing of the Holy Spirit. John 6:44. Nobody just decides to be a Christian. I had a head knowledge of Jesus as a believer, but I wasn't saved even believing what I knew and learned growing up. I had the same heart and thoughts. Until the Holy Spirit through God's written word, showed me who I was and where I stood with God while listening to the late great evangelist Estus Pirkle preaching a tent meeting May 29,1997. Talk about a wake up call! I said yes to my only hope, His Son Jesus Christ. Something I'm glad I've experienced and said yes to, and it will never be a question again of rather I know God or not.

Last edited:
They are one with different attributes to salvation. There are 3 actually. God the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit. God the Father planned salvation, God the Son fulfilled salvation and God the Holy Spirit initiates salvation. That initiation is done by the drawing of the Holy Spirit. John 6:44. Nobody just decides to be a Christian. I had a head knowledge of Jesus as a believer, but I wasn't saved even believing what I knew and learned growing up. I had the same heart and thoughts. Until the Holy Spirit through God's written word, showed me who I was and where I stood with God while listening to the late great evangelist Estus Pirkle preaching a tent meeting May 29,1997. Talk about a wake up call! I said yes to my only hope, His Son Jesus Christ. Something I'm glad I've experienced and said yes to, and it will never be a question again of rather I know God or not.
I was referring to allah, budda and every other one that comes from other religions. I agree with what you said above just saying that god to many is not the God you and I serve

Reactions: ELR1981
I was referring to allah, budda and every other one that comes from other religions. I agree with what you said above just saying that god to many is not the God you and I serve
Sadly not and you know this by the above statement you made brother. I just love sharing my testimony for the one that truly saves. There are many gods, but only one God.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT