ADVERTISEMENT

Am I being insensitive...

When Black athletes could not play college football at Southern universities, wasn't that politics at play? Of course, it was conservative politics at play so maybe that didn't offend you?

Well that is a little different and is truly sickening that we, as a nation, had to go through that. Everyone has equal rights now. I think you would be extremely hard pressed to find conservatives that don’t agree with equal rights for everyone. The entire party has shifted left and I totally support that. Even Christians have as well. Shit... Bill Clinton would be a conservative by today’s standards. Just a few short years ago, even Obama wasn’t pro gay marriage I don’t believe.

I guess I just don’t understand why all this is a big deal and what injustice is occurring that is so terrible that it warrants calling an entire group of people racist. I won’t pretend to understand why minority’s still think they are treated like they are lesser than other citizens. I’m sure some are and that makes me sad. It’s just hard to understand something that you don’t experience I guess. My daughters godfather is a black guy and my best friend. I see him treated equally everywhere. We had one issue with a bouncer and you have never seen 4 white guys move as fast as we did to kick somebody’s ass. We’ve also worked together for years and have never seen someone delittle him. Dude has been by my side all these years including working those 100 hour weeks. He didn’t bitch and complain. He was right there slingin 400+ pound fats around with me. Race is never discussed in his list of problems.

Nobody ever said life was easy. Nobody ever guaranteed success. Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness. That’s what’s guaranteed. The fact is, there is no other nation on the planet that offers the opportunities we offer to people of every race, religion and socioeconomic status. I’ve been successful not so to my skin color but because of my work ethic and my respect for other people.

“And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for youask what you can do for your country.” Good luck getting elected making statements like that today. Our country forgot this decades ago. Everyone wants everything handed to them. Tough shit I guess. I’ve worked harder than most and am better off for it. Basically what I’m saying is that people should start taking responsibility for themselves and stop blaming others for their misfortunes. Until we do, we are screwed as a nation.

Hopefully I didn’t offend you as that was not my intention but I will just never equate the civil rights movement with what’s going on now. Not even in the same stratosphere.

As the article confirms, Obama never reached a 3% annual GDP growth rate.

Definitely valid. I would love for us to reduce spending and cut into the deficit. The problem is spending though, not a lack of revenue from hard-working families like mine.

When did trump reach a 3% annual growth rate? 2018 was 2.9%. Are you just rounding up to make a point?

You don't have to get angry and call them names lol. That's part of the problem now. People don't want to see Trump because of who he is personally not because he is a conservative or a republican. He's a horrible person not politics. That's what you don't get.

When the next republican wins people will be back to visiting the White House. There were a few people who didn't visit Obama but they disagreed with his politics not because he called them names and was a horrible human being. I didn't keep track of who those people were or how many did it because them exercising their right didn't bother me like it's bothering you. I know for a fact it happened but I can't name a single person that did it.
It must be fascinating to view the world with your perspective.

It must be fascinating to view the world with your perspective.

What did I say that wasn't 100% accurate no matter the perspective.

100% true that those people are angry at Trump personally and very few cite his politics.

100% true that people skipped out on Obama as well and 100% true that it wasn't that many and I can't remember.

Well that is a little different and is truly sickening that we, as a nation, had to go through that. Everyone has equal rights now. I think you would be extremely hard pressed to find conservatives that don’t agree with equal rights for everyone. The entire party has shifted left and I totally support that. Even Christians have as well. Shit... Bill Clinton would be a conservative by today’s standards. Just a few short years ago, even Obama wasn’t pro gay marriage I don’t believe.

I guess I just don’t understand why all this is a big deal and what injustice is occurring that is so terrible that it warrants calling an entire group of people racist. I won’t pretend to understand why minority’s still think they are treated like they are lesser than other citizens. I’m sure some are and that makes me sad. It’s just hard to understand something that you don’t experience I guess. My daughters godfather is a black guy and my best friend. I see him treated equally everywhere. We had one issue with a bouncer and you have never seen 4 white guys move as fast as we did to kick somebody’s ass. We’ve also worked together for years and have never seen someone delittle him. Dude has been by my side all these years including working those 100 hour weeks. He didn’t bitch and complain. He was right there slingin 400+ pound fats around with me. Race is never discussed in his list of problems.

Nobody ever said life was easy. Nobody ever guaranteed success. Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness. That’s what’s guaranteed. The fact is, there is no other nation on the planet that offers the opportunities we offer to people of every race, religion and socioeconomic status. I’ve been successful not so to my skin color but because of my work ethic and my respect for other people.

“And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for youask what you can do for your country.” Good luck getting elected making statements like that today. Our country forgot this decades ago. Everyone wants everything handed to them. Tough shit I guess. I’ve worked harder than most and am better off for it. Basically what I’m saying is that people should start taking responsibility for themselves and stop blaming others for their misfortunes. Until we do, we are screwed as a nation.

Hopefully I didn’t offend you as that was not my intention but I will just never equate the civil rights movement with what’s going on now. Not even in the same stratosphere.
I hardly know where to begin to respond to this.

The civil rights movement continues today. Consider for a moment that the white homeownership rate is over 70 percent. The Black Homeownership rate is in the 40s. It is as low today as it was when the Fair Housing Act was passed in 1968. Do you know why the Black homeownership rate has been historically much lower than Whites? For one reason, the federal government marked certain neighborhoods in red ink (redlined) and instructed banks not to lend there because there was a large number of blacks who lived there. This has set black wealth building back for generations. Today, the average white household has 10 times the wealth of black families.

So, you see, hard work really isn’t enough to recover from such generational setbacks. To go to college, minorities typically have to borrow more than whites because of family wealth (or lack thereof). So they are in more debt. These all have lasting effects.

We as a country have to recognize these impacts and work nonstop to help close opportunity and wealth gaps. Colleges like Clemson need to do more to recruit (and help fund tuition) minorities. I know that is a priority of President Clements and I salute him for that.

Too many of us woke up to find ourselves on third base and think we hit a triple. We need to take another look at reality.

And for your comments suggesting that everyone is for civil rights for everyone, I strongly disagree. Did you hear the rioters in Charlottesville barking, “Jews Will Not Replace Us?” Do you see how many people still object to gay couples adopting children or even gay couples wanting a wedding cake made for their wedding? President Trump overruled his generals and forced transsexuals out of the military. Equal rights for all? We are a long way from the day everyone supports civil rights for all.

The civil rights movement continues today. Consider for a moment that the white homeownership rate is over 70 percent. The Black Homeownership rate is in the 40s. It is as low today as it was when the Fair Housing Act was passed in 1968. Do you know why the Black homeownership rate has been historically much lower than Whites? For one reason, the federal government marked certain neighborhoods in red ink (redlined) and instructed banks not to lend there because there was a large number of blacks who lived there. This has set black wealth building back for generations. Today, the average white household has 10 times the wealth of black families.

So, you see, hard work really isn’t enough to recover from such generational setbacks. To go to college, minorities typically have to borrow more than whites because of family wealth (or lack thereof). So they are in more debt. These all have lasting effects.

We as a country have to recognize these impacts and work nonstop to help close opportunity and wealth gaps. Colleges like Clemson need to do more to recruit (and help fund tuition) minorities. I know that is a priority of President Clements and I salute him for that.

Too many of us woke up to find ourselves on third base and think we hit a triple. We need to take another look at reality.

And for your comments suggesting that everyone is for civil rights for everyone, I strongly disagree. Did you hear the rioters in Charlottesville barking, “Jews Will Not Replace Us?” Do you see how many people still object to gay couples adopting children or even gay couples wanting a wedding cake made for their wedding? President Trump overruled his generals and forced transsexuals out of the military. Equal rights for all? We are a long way from the day everyone supports civil rights for all.
Yeah. Speak for yourself for waking up on third base. I will kindly disagree with you. Personal responsibility is apparently a thing of the past.

Why should somebody be forced to make a wedding cake? He wasn’t even refusing to serve them. He wasn’t hating on them. It’s against his religious beliefs and he has that right just as the customers had a right to go elsewhere. The Supreme Court agrees. Personally, if someone didn’t want to do that for me, I bring my business elsewhere. What are your feelings on Trump supporters getting kicked out of restaurants? Or the vilification of a high school kid and the attempt to ruin his life over a completely fabricated story. The transgender in military issue deserves its own thread and I’m not touching that here.

Paying for college...I worked through college and took out loans. Had several white friends with over $50,000 in loans. Our families couldn’t afford school either. My roommate paid for nothing because his family had next to nothing. He had pell grants and other scholarships. Opportunity is there. I have no problem helping the less fortunate.

Indians and Asians come here and kick ass. Many are dirt poor when they get here. There are even business loans for minorities.

Buying houses....there is a program called NACA and several others for low income families. Several include down payment assistance upwards of $10k.

Yeah. We aren’t perfect. There is still injustice and I never said otherwise. There always will be and we should always strive to be better. But people from all over the world want to come here for the opportunity America provides. Meanwhile, our own citizens refuse to take advantage. Blaming white people for their issues solves nothing and just deepens the divide.

We will just have to agree to disagree.

Before people attack you I have to remind people that as a fact, these were and always have been intently political moves. No reason they should be involved unless you make an argument for international competitions USA vs someone. All good points.
Personally, I like the national anthem and prayer before sporting events. Usually the person giving the invocation makes a strong effort to keep a particular religious view out of the prayer. However, on both the teams and in the audience, there are likely people who at least grew up in another country, if not ones who are still citizens of those countries. I stand by my earlier point that both right and left politics have been involved in politics for quite some time. BTW, I would classify Carter's move to boycott the '80 Olympics are right leaning politics regardless of his party.

Increasing inheritance taxes would go a long way toward setting a level playing field. It won't do it by itself obviously, but it would help ensure that people earned what they got rather than having it given to them. There is a section of the Republican party that spews the message that the government is supporting minorities and illegal aliens. They claim that people should earn what they get, except for their children whom they want to give a leg up to. I'm okay with that leg up, but think it should be limited. It is in all our interests to help small businesses continue as they are our primary source of new jobs. The Yankees are not a small business.

You don't have to get angry and call them names lol. That's part of the problem now. People don't want to see Trump because of who he is personally not because he is a conservative or a republican. He's a horrible person not politics. That's what you don't get.

When the next republican wins people will be back to visiting the White House. There were a few people who didn't visit Obama but they disagreed with his politics not because he called them names and was a horrible human being. I didn't keep track of who those people were or how many did it because them exercising their right didn't bother me like it's bothering you. I know for a fact it happened but I can't name a single person that did it.

I'm not sure about that. While Trump is, well, Trump, I also think that all Republicans have now been branded as racist/sexist/somesorta-ist. I'm not sure we're gonna get back from there any time soon. This has been happening for a while and is just getting worse.

It WOULD help if Trump was a better communicator.

I havre sigs turned off for work...

Smart move.

Increasing inheritance taxes would go a long way toward setting a level playing field. It won't do it by itself obviously, but it would help ensure that people earned what they got rather than having it given to them. There is a section of the Republican party that spews the message that the government is supporting minorities and illegal aliens. They claim that people should earn what they get, except for their children whom they want to give a leg up to. I'm okay with that leg up, but think it should be limited. It is in all our interests to help small businesses continue as they are our primary source of new jobs. The Yankees are not a small business.

I understand everyone having to earn their own way. But I also understand the fact that when I earn money, I should be able to bequeath it to whomever I damn well please.

If I bust my ass to build a business I didn't do that for the government to take most of it when I die. It's for my kids - or whoever I choose - to take the reigns and build it even further.

Last edited:
You just summed up in one post the problem with Christians. If something offends you it must be removed immediately. If something you do offends somebody else.. well F them.

To be fair, it's not just Christians, it's just about any religion. These folks whine bitch and moan when they are being oppressed, but if given the chance they are the first ones to oppress anyone who doesn't agree with them. My two favorite cases are the Pilgrims in the US and the early life of Ayman al-Zawahiri (al queda #2 under Osama:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ayman_al-Zawahiri
The pilgrims were truly persecuted in England and the rest of Europe. They came to the new world for religious freedom. But as soon as they got here, the stocks went up and anyone you didn't act right or dress as they should got put in them and Religious Freedom be damned.

al-Zawahiri and a bunch of his folks were picked up and jailed in Egypt for being fundamentalist Muslims. He cried for years from jail about religious freedom and as soon as he got out, he fled to the Talaban where he could execute anyone that wasn't Muslim.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT